By the Bay Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Independence, he thought. That's what he liked about her. She knew exactly what she wanted or didn't want, and it gave him a great deal of satisfaction that she wanted him.

When she finished, she turned to look at him for the first time in minutes. He wasn't angry as she'd thought he'd be, but there was a thoughtful look on his face.

"Did I say something wrong?" she asked when he didn't say a word for a whole minute. His eyes were focused on the waves rolling onto the shore.

He turned to look at her then, his eyes retaining their thoughtful glaze. "What I don't get is," he said, "why you think I'll hurt you. Is there something I've done that's made you feel this way? Was it that first night? In my defense, I thought you were a boy…"

"No, no," she hastened to correct him. "I just… I've heard that some Englishmen are, umm, harsh with women. My own mother -."

She looked away from him again, feeling as though she shouldn't meet his gaze. Shame, she knew. Yes, she was ashamed.

"Your mother was hurt by someone?" he prodded, and she nodded curtly.

"Yes. By many men, actually. Once, she took to her bed for a few days and even after a week, I could see the bruises showing on her skin. It hurt when she walked. There were teeth marks." The last sentence was said in almost a whisper.

She started when he ran the back of his finger over her cheek, as though to assure her that he would not do anything of that kind to her. "I don't know what kind of men your mother dealt with, but I assure you that I do not find pleasure in inflicting pain on women. It's despicable."

His hand dropped from her cheek and he scooted closer to her on the log. She looked up at him, something he couldn't read reflected in her eyes. "Thank you. And Meera?"

"She doesn't have to know if you don't want her to."

"It'll be easy, I think, to work around her. She's in school most of the day, and when she's not, she's off somewhere either buried in a book or writing."

Jay crooked an eyebrow at her. "Meera? She writes?" He couldn't keep the surprise from lacing his voice.

"Yes, she does. But she's rather private about it. I remember that she nearly screamed at me for opening one of her notebooks."

"That does sound like her," he said, shaking his head.

"I understand that she might seem that way, but she can be very entertaining at times, and I love her. She's my sister."

It was said clearly and simply. Unconditionally. It struck an off-chord within Jay.

Feeling like a weight had lifted from her shoulders, Anita stood, brushing errant grains of sand off her dress. He remained seated, looking up at her.

"Would you mind if I asked you a personal question?"

"Of course. I mean, no, I wouldn't mind." She winced at roundabout way of asking questions in English. Tamil was much more uncomplicated, in her opinion.

"Why did you say yes to me? There's nothing you can gain from this."

She smiled, and it was a very sad smile.

"It might seem that way, but I do have my reasons. I was thinking… if this is the only chance I get to experience being a woman, then I'd really like that. It would give me something to look back upon fondly, remembering a time when this handsome Englishman took a liking to me. It'll be a time when I lived for myself, like a dream."

She held out a hand and he took it, rising to his feet. Her words had affected him in more ways then one. He could understand her situation more clearly now; it was obvious that she never expected to wed, and he was the one liberty that she was allowing herself. Tenderness unfolded in his heart and he caught her to him, pressing his lips to hers.

A slight breeze rolled off the waves, carrying with it the scent of the sea. Anita pressed herself closer to the Duke, loving the way his lips had a tendency to curl around hers, as though in protection. His kiss was drugging as his lips moved over hers repeatedly, his tongue tracing the shape of hers lips before sliding between them. Her response, unconditional in passion, snaked through him and almost had him trembling. He took her lips again and again, standing as they were by the sea, savoring the taste of her on his tongue. And when he wanted so much more, he pulled away, tempted to kiss her again when she looked at him as though locked in a trance.

"Does everyone get this much pleasure from just a kiss?" she asked, her breathing uneven.

"No," he said, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ears. "I know a few men who hate kissing because they find it a waste of time."

"Then why…"

"Compatibility, my sweet. And we're most definitely compatible."

She gave him a small smile, her eyes dropping to his lips before meeting his eyes again. He couldn't resist the growl that rose in his throat.

"I don't know why my carnal appetites are so damned insatiable around you," he whispered against her forehead.

She chuckled breathily. "Perhaps it's the compatibility."

His chest rumbled as he laughed, too. "Perhaps."

She pulled away after moments of reveling in the comfort of his arms. "I should be at the market by now."

"That isn't my fault. You keep sidetracking me, woman," he said with mock gruffness. He retrieved the basket from where it still sat on the log.

"Me? What did I –." Then she remembered something that she swore she would ask him at the nearest opportunity. "Would you mind if I asked you something?"

"Ah, the ol' sidetracking tactic again."

She laughed, but he saw the seriousness in her eyes. He offered her his arm and began walking in the general direction of the market.

"What did you want to ask me about?" he said when she remained quiet for a while.

She looked sheepish. "I'm thinking of a way to phrase this properly."

"Phrase what?"

"I just wanted to know what your first name is," she said in a rush.

He stopped in his tracks and turned to stare at her.

"My what?"

"Your first name. I realized last night that I've been calling you 'the Duke' in my head for a rather long while now and –."

She blushed when he threw his head back and laughed.

*

Don't forget to vote & comment! Chapter five coming soon! <3 Lily.