By the Bay Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Was it just her imagination, or could she hear the cries of the couple as they gave each other unspeakable pleasure? Even from afar, she could see the trembling of the woman's thighs and the tender caress of the man's hands on her breasts. Rae knew she shouldn't stare, but what she couldn't look away from was the intimacy the two shared. Although the woman's face was turned away from him, the man leaned forward to capture her lips with his, sealing their connection even in that position.

Rae smiled. She knew how a connection like that would make the woman feel – special and cherished. Rae had felt it numerous times herself, but only with one person.

She started when the candle blew out in Meera's room. Her pocketwatch told her that it was about two in the morning. Had it been a month ago, they'd be locked in a trance-like pleasure by this time, but now, Meera was going to bed alone.

Rae's ship would be leaving the dock in another few hours. She hadn't wanted to say goodbye, to spare Meera the pain of it, but now, that didn't seem right. Meera deserved to know that what they had together had ended, and Rae had to move on to new places and meet new people. She couldn't leave Meera hanging onto a hollow hope that Rae would come back for her one day, because Rae would not. Meera had a right to know that Rae was leaving.

It was for that reason that Rae didn't simply turn her back on the house, the lovers, and trudge back to the hotel. She had to see Meera once, if only to say goodbye. Things had been too messy to leave alone.

With a sigh, Rae jumped off the low branch and landed silently on her feet. She knew the task ahead of her would not be easy. If not for Meera, then for herself.

*

Madison alighted from the phaeton, taking Sir Roger's outstretched hand as she did so. Her dark curls fell about her shoulders and her cheeks held a healthy glow from the rouge she'd hastily smeared on them. She didn't want to look harried; a woman of her status should be able to handle any problem with grace and decorum.

She gave the handsome man a small smile as she stepped from the vehicle. He raised her hand to his lips and welcomed her to his home.

"It has been a while since you paid a visit, my dear."

"I know, Roger. There's always something for a dowager duchess to do, it seems."

"Well, it's marvelous to see you again. Shall we?"

He extended his arm and she took it, gracefully ascending the steps to the large countryside manor. He led her to the sitting room, but she stopped him with a gentle hand on his arm.

"Perhaps somewhere a little more private?" she asked nervously, and he hesitated, mulling the wisdom of taking a widow to his private study. But when the lady began to bite her lip anxiously, he relented and took her in the direction of the stairs.

Madison seated herself in a comfortable leather chair opposite Roger, fidgeting with her gloves and the folds of her modest peach day gown. Roger watched her fidget, not entirely sure what she deemed had warranted his immediate attention. He'd known this woman for a little more than thirty years, and in those years, he hadn't managed to understand the way she thought.

When she remained mum for minutes, Roger rang for some tea. Perhaps a light drink would calm the lady enough for her to speak.

"Thank you for seeing me at such short notice," she began softly after he'd sent the servants away.

"No problem at all, my dear."

"You were the only person I could think of who could help me when I received the letter."

His curiosity piqued, Roger raised an eyebrow. "And what might that letter concern?"

Her emerald eyes, somewhat ashamed, rose to meet his. "My son."

"James? Or Andrew?"

"James. It's always James."

Roger leaned back in his seat and laced his fingers together. Ah, James. The boy was so much like his father that it was no wonder Madison worried for him. After all, Edward hadn't been the perfect man or husband.

"What about James? Is he home yet? Last I heard, he'd run off to one of the colonies."

"Singapore, yes. And no, he has yet to return." She reached into her reticule and pulled out a folded piece of parchment. "I received a letter earlier today from one of my friends on the island. She's a very darling woman, which is why her words so worrying."

"Could I see the letter?"

She unfolded the letter with fingers that trembled slightly. Then she laid it on the desk.

He was quick to scan through the words. Taking an island girl to wife? It was certainly like James to do that. After all, his father had taken a saloon dancer as a mistress. But, Roger thought, the father knew better than the son. Edward's indiscretions hadn't marred the family lineage. James' however, would destroy the family bloodlineandthe family name.

"Could this be a jest?" he asked her, turning the paper around to look for some form of indication that it was.

Madison shook her head. "I don't believe so. It is entirely like James to do such a thing."

Roger nodded in agreement. "He does take after his father an awful lot."

Madison simply looked down at her hands.

Sensing that he'd said something he shouldn't, Roger continued. "Well, I see your problem now, my dear. Have you thought of a solution yet?"

"Well, I have. But it might not work."

"Let's not rule it out, Maddy. Let's hear it."

"I was thinking that we could bribe her. Since she's only after our wealth, a good sum would keep her away from the boy, would it not?"

"Yes. But that doesn't ensure that she won't come back to us for more when the money dwindles."

Madison nodded, remaining quiet.

"Another option might be to separate them," Roger thought aloud. "What might bring him back to England?"

"Not very much, I assure you," she replied with a sad laugh. "He hates me. He wouldn't return even if you wrote to him that I was on my deathbed."

"The boy does not hate you, my dear," Roger tried to console her, although he knew that both of them knew the truth. "What if you wrote to him about Edward's will? Would he come back to England to solve the legal issues?"

"Perhaps. But he was present at the reading of Edward's will. He knows there is no new clause or anything that has been left unsettled."

"I beg your pardon, Maddy, but there are ways to create a new clause in Edward's will."

Madison blinked, understanding. That plan might prove to work, but... "What if he returns to the girl after the matter is resolved?"

They were deep in thought when there the noise of a commotion in the hallway made them both look up. The doors to the study were flung wide. Elena, Roger's nineteen year-old daughter scurried into the room, her cheeks flushed with exertion and her hair in disarray. The girl did not notice that her father was receiving a guest.

"Daddy, I'll be going to Holly's house for supper. You don't mind, do you? Holly's been jealous that I haven't visited her because she heard from Kathryn that I had lunch with Sarah last week. I'll take the pink carriage, and I'll be back before – oh." Her rambling came to a halt when she noticed the small woman seated in the tall leather chair.

"Your grace," Elena murmured through shock and breathlessness. Then she fell into a deep curtsy. "I did not know you were visiting. I'm pleased to see you again."

"That's all right, my dear. It was a last minute decision."

"Go on now, sweetheart. I'll see you again tonight," Roger said roughly and watched as Elena curtsied again before walking out the door at a more reasonable pace than she'd entered it.

"Nice girl," Madison commented. "Perhaps a little rough around the edges."

"You don't need to mince your words, Maddy. She's a wild one. Getting her wedded is going to be a chore."

Madison clucked her tongue. "Don't worry, Roger. She's a nice girl. I'm sure suitors will be knocking on your door soon enough."

"I hope 'soon' is within another two years, or she'll be a spinster for the rest of her life."

Madison shuddered on the inside. There really was nothing worse than being a spinster in society's eyes.

As Roger talked about the antics he had to put up with from his daughter, an idea began to form in Madison's mind. Roger was worried about his daughter never marrying, and Madison was worried about her son marrying the wrong girl. Something began to click in her mind, and before she knew it, she was telling Roger of it. It would solve both their problems, she told him. And if executed properly, it might succeed.

Roger seemed to be in agreement with the plan; in fact, he thought it a brilliant idea. They spoke of it for hours, until Madison became quite giddy with delight. She could not believe her problems would be solved, and in such a joyous way!

They dined together for supper before she returned to the Shackleton manor, promising to send him the parchment as soon as she could. They had a plan that would bring her son home for good and free him from the clutches of the blasted island girl. Madison hoped dearly it would work.

*

Rae slipped into the house and into Meera's room without a sound. The house was quiet around her. Apparently, the noise the couple was making upstairs didn't trickle down to the first floor.

She shut the door to Meera's bedroom quietly and leaned on it for a second. The moonlight reflected Meera's pliant form on the bed, making her hair glow like tangled moonlight. Rae traced the sleeping girl's features with her eyes, committing each one to memory even though she knew she'd never forget anything of the body that had trembled so sweetly in her arms on many occasions.

She walked over to the narrow bed and knelt by it, stifling the emotions that rose within her when the scent of her lover drifted from the sheets. At that moment, everything in Rae told her not to go, not to leave this perfect woman and this perfect island, but she knew she needed to. She'd suffocate if she was ever tied down by anyone or anything, and she'd only end up hurting Meera more if she stayed longer but left anyway.

Leaning forward, she pressed a soft kiss to Meera's cheek, the last she'd allow herself. She didn't count on Meera's soft eyes blinking open and focusing blearily on the kneeling form by her bed.

"Rae?" Her voice was wary and soft, as though she assumed Rae to be a dream that would wash away if her voice was too loud.

Rae cleared her throat and reached out to push Meera's curls back. "Hi, sexy," she said, her voice equally raspy. "How're you doing?"

Meera sat up, her sheet falling about her. She was wearing a sari because the nights tended to be chilly. "Wha- what are you doing here? Where have you been?"

"Around. I just wanted to see you tonight."

She didn't know how it had happened, but Rae found Meera's arms wrapped around her neck, her body pressed so close that Rae could feel her heartbeat. Meera held on to her lover like she wouldn't let her go again.

"Rae, never leave me again. I love you. I love you so much."

Rae froze, Meera's words slicing through her heart and cleaving it in two. No, no, no, no!

Sensing Rae's stillness, Meera pulled away far enough to take in the expression on Rae's face. When she did, however, Meera pulled away from Rae completely. She scooted backward slowly, warily.

"It's today, isn't it? You're leaving today."

It wasn't a question, it was a statement. Rae paused a long moment before nodding.

Meera turned away, slinging her legs over the other side of the bed. She sat there for a long, long while, pondering her stupidity. Then she said, "Leave, please."

Heeding her words, Rae rose and walked slowly to the door. Her hands were tucked in her pockets so that Meera wouldn't see how badly saying goodbye was affecting her. Before she opened the door, Rae looked back at the small woman on the bed, head bowed, shoulders shaking, and knew she'd be leaving her heart behind.

"Goodbye," she whispered, and then, she was gone.

*

Rae didn't leave the house. Instead, she walked through the kitchen, into the dining area and headed up the stairs to the room she'd seen the couple in. She knocked on the door a few times and plastered a devil-may-care smile over her pain before entering.

Jay was seated on the bed, his fingers reaching for the candles on the bedside table. Rae's eyes had long adjusted to the darkness, and she walked easily to the bed and sat on the end of it.

The candle came to life and lit the room.

"Hello, big brother," Rae said around a smile. The look on Jay's face was priceless. He blinked several times, opened his mouth, and then began the blinking routine again. The woman beside him stirred and her eyelids flickered.

"Catherine? What – how – what the – when did you even – what?!" It was a perverse satisfaction she received from seeing the look of disbelief on Jay's face. His hair was tousled, and when he shook his head to dislodge the image of her sitting at the edge of his bed, the locks entangled themselves even more. By this time, the woman, too, had awakened and pulled the edge of the sheet over herself to cover her body. Though, truthfully, she didn't have to. Rae didn't feel the interest in any woman anymore.

"It's nice to see you too, Jay," she said, crossing her legs beneath her on the bed. "You too, miss. God, it smells in here."

"How – what the devil are you doing here?"

"I thought I might pay you a visit."

Her answer perplexed him. She could see it in the way his jawline tightened. It was a trait they'd both inherited from their father.

She watched him take a deep breath to collect himself.

"Catherine, could you step outside for a minute and let me change into something more appropriate for conversation?"

Rae shook her head. "I wasn't planning to stay long. And besides," she jerked her thumb toward the window. "I've seen enough of you both not to blush at the thought of seeing what you've got under the sheet."

Her brother turned completely scarlet. Rae cursed herself for not having brought her paints to capture that image. The blush under that tan was an interesting contrast. Also, she didn't think she could ever make her brother blush that much again in her life.

The dark woman sidled closer to Jay as though she was seeking comfort and protection from the strange person in their bedroom. Rae's eyebrows rose when Jay's arm curled protectively over his bedmate.

"In all seriousness Catherine, how did you even get here?"

"I took a ship."

"From London?"

"From Egypt."

"Egypt?!"

"Yes. It's a beautiful place to visit."

"What business have you got in Egypt? And where's Ruby?"

"Mother? Oh, she's at home."

" 'Home' being somewhere on the island? Perhaps a hotel?"

"No," she said slowly. "Home being London."

Jay ran a hand over his face. Rae felt almost gleeful at the stress and confusion she was causing him.

"Catherine, I'll speak to you in the sitting room downstairs. Give me a few minutes."

Rae stood, straightening her clothes. "That's all right. You should go back to sleep. I just wanted to say goodbye before I left."

"Goodbye? Where are you going?"

She shrugged. "Maybe one of the French colonies. I'm not sure yet."

"By yourself?!"

"I've come this far."

"You're a young girl, for god's sake! You can't be traipsing around the world without a chaperone."

She crossed her arms over her chest. "Oh, really? I've been doing it for the past six months."

His expressions made her direly wish for her paints. "Does Ruby know?"

"No, and I don't intend to tell her."

"God, Catherine. What if something were to happen to you?"

"Nothing has so far."

"Don't speak like a child. You know damn well the kind of trouble you can get into."

"Rape? Murder? Only if they know I'm a woman."

Jay looked down at her attire. A thin sweater and trousers. In truth, she didn't look like much of a woman at all. How was that possible? What had happened to her breasts?

"Catherine, would you please just wait for me in the sitting room-."

"I have to go now. I just wanted to speak with you before I left since we were on the same island. I'll see you in London come September."

"Catherine, it's dangerous -."

"I'll send you a letter once a month to assure you I'm still alive." She turned to the woman who was still staring unblinkingly at her. "Are you Anita?"

The dark woman nodded woodenly. Rae let out a little laugh, placing her hands on her hips. God, she should have guessed.

"Don't let Meera know about this," she indicated their embrace. "She'd be crushed."

"Meera? Do you know my sister?"

How was she to answer that? Intimately, was on the tip of her tongue. "Yes. We're friends."

She turned back to Jay. "I'll see you at home."

Jay didn't get the chance to get in another word because Catherine disappeared, blending into the shadows of the night.

He let out several curses that made Anita flinch. She was still reeling from the encounter, and the mention of Meera, and her being naked in front of Jay's sister, and having been seen making love pressed against the window...

Jay rolled out of bed and pulled on articles on clothing in haste. Anita did the same. She was embarrassed, dreadfully so.

"I'm going after her," Jay said, pulling on a sweater.

"I have to check on Meera," Anita murmured under her breath.

Jay pulled her to him and gave her a fierce kiss, cupping her face in his hands.

"I'll be back as soon as I can."

She nodded and he jogged out of the room, hoping to catch Catherine before she boarded a ship. The girl needed to understand the danger she was in! Running around the world like it was a game! If something happened to her, Jay would never be able to live with himself.

Back in the room, Anita sat on the bed, covering her face with her hands. Her heart beat wildly in her chest and tears rimmed her eyes. She felt panic fill her body. Gods, what was she doing with her life?

*

Don't forget to vote & comment! Thanks a lot!

Much love!