Case of the Black Badge Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Let me also say that I was badly distracted by the white-supremacy angle. First, we had Carroll's possible involvement with them, and then we had the Jones acquittal. But in truth, the Black Badge gang was never really about racial issues; in fact, some of their members were black. It was just a group of low-lifes that were penetrating the underpinnings of various crime gangs as well as the police. Because of the knowledge they'd gain, the leaders could coordinate a cohesive plan of action to either move their own drugs or stolen merchandise, interdict others when they felt like it, and at times broker and control the flow of illegal goods."

"So who was behind all this?" Jack Colby asked in his deep voice. "Anyone higher up in the Police Department that might be running for higher office now?"

"Mr. Colby," I said, "it would be utter slander for me to suggest without proof that any such person committed any such crimes. Rest assured I am still on the lookout for connections, though. I will also say this: it is apparent that other persons of influence might have been involved... and that is what led to the cracking of this case, to wit:

"As I was saying, I was distracted by the race angle, but it led me to predicting and interdicting the attack on my nephew and his wife. That gave us Brody and Gunn, and from there everything flowed rather smoothly. But it was actually a stroke of bad luck for King and the whole gang. One of the contacts, who I believe but cannot prove is a State-level politician that we all know and hate very much, apparently wanted to teach me a lesson by attacking my family. I think he's going to seriously regret that action, but let's leave that for now.

"Once I had Brody and Gunn in my sights, just about everything fell into place of its own accord. I knew the gang would try to silence them, so as soon as I saw the bail process being rigged to spring them, I arranged with our friends of the FBI to quickly make an arrest on Federal charges.

"In the City, Brody began to figure out that his usefulness was ended and that he'd be terminated like Carroll and Blondie were. It took some time, but he figured out that talking would be best, and he did talk to us in exchange for immunity and witness protection, which has been provided."

"Question:" said Martin Nash, "was that woman, the rogue FBI agent, part of the gang?"

"No." I said. "I'm guessing she was associated with the White Supremacy group that Carroll was in and then ran afoul of. They had their local person here try to wipe out Brody and Gunn with a drive-by shooting from a motorcycle. When that failed they had their mole in the City's FBI office sacrifice herself for the cause. Some cause that must be, especially to burn a deep mole like that..."

Jack Muscone intervened, "I can't tell you guys everything about that, but it's only fair to tell you that it's something huge, a national-level thing that you might just be hearing talked about on TV in the near future."

"They'll just make it part of Daniel Allgood's campaign, and then KXTC won't cover it." the Chief quipped, drawing laughter. "So what else, Crowbar. Tell us what led to that spectacular raid."

"Yes..." I said, "First, I have to say that Martin, Diana and Theo did a lot of work to find the site, and their work was not in vain. As we talked about their investigations, it came to me that the Fire Academy Range had everything they could want: isolation, darkness at night, ability to wash away blood and other stuff, and easy access. One thing I learned well and did not forget from the Black Widow case was the possibility of an inside job. One of the gang was indeed a Fireman in the Fire Department, who had managed to get a second set of keys to the Academy's gates. The place was very useful to the criminals.

"Second, I knew that Brody and Gunn did not have long to live if we let them wallow in our custody or Federal custody. It was a huge gambit, but letting the corrupted bail process work itself out and letting Brody and Gunn go free seemed to be the only chance to get at the gang.

"The Feds helped to put trackers on the clothing of the two men, but I anticipated the gang might make them change clothes, especially since there was a military presence that we knew about from the torture and murder methods. Again they paid attention to detail on some things but not others: they never checked to see if Brody or Gunn had swallowed a transmitter. Brody did do that, and that worked very well... saved his life, too.

"I had unmarked police and FBI vehicles along the route to the Fire Academy, and also some cars ringed around Gunn and Brody's homes. If they'd gone in another direction, we could've swung vehicles around to pursue."

"Why didn't they drive around zig-zag to elude followers?" Diana Torres asked.

"I think that if they'd known enough to do that, they'd have known not to take Brody and Gunn anywhere to kill them in the first place. They thought they were safe, they thought we had no idea of what was going on, and they especially did not know that we were all but waiting for them at the Fire Academy Range. So they essentially drove straight there, stopping off at an unused mall store to change their clothes, which was really their only precaution."

"I'm surprised they didn't wait another day or two." said FBI Agent Escobar. "Why did you think they'd act so fast?"

"Put yourself in their shoes." I said. "You've got two guys who might bolt and run, or the Feds might pick them up again on a new warrant, or anything else that might happen. No, they simply wanted them dead and then the gang could go dormant for a while. I guessed that they'd move quickly... in fact, they were about three hours ahead of what I figured they'd do.

"And of course, that was the big risk of this whole plan: they might have just walked in, shot those men in the head, and then been gone, though we had plans to move in and arrest them if they came out of the house without Brody or Gunn. They also could've shot them dead in the cars once they picked them up, but I was counting on them repeating a plan that had worked once before, and sure enough, they repeated themselves."

"So you got the Courts to go along and release the guys?" Britt Maxwell asked. She'd been relatively silent as she sat next to Cindy during the evening.

"No." said Jack Muscone. "We considered that, but instead just asked the U.S. Attorney to not put up a fight and let what was going to happen, happen. It also had the side effect of getting Judge Francis out of being blackmailed. He's going to work with us if he's ever contacted again by them, so maybe we can flush them out. He's also putting in for retirement, which will end his involvement in any issues in the future."

"What about Judge Tomlinson?" Cindy asked. "Who shot him dead?"

"I'm also looking forward to the Iron Crowbar's explanation of that." Jack Muscone said, very pointedly.

"Thanks, put it all on me." I mock-complained, to laughter. "But seriously, it's almost like the case of Jonas Oldeeds, where that killer may not have been in league with the ones who tried to kill me--" I trailed off as the reverie hit, and I let it. I was deep in thought, realizing a serious clue there...

"Well, he's gone... we can go back to drinking." Cindy said, meaning it as a joke, but everyone still watched me until I came out and saw them staring at me.

"It's nothing guys." I said, outright lying. "I was just realizing that Judge Tomlinson's killing might really be a huge coincidence. Can't get enough of those for ol' Dame Agatha Christie, can we Cindy?"

"Yeah, right." Cindy said. "By the way, you said you'd come back to using two cops at a time..."

"Ah yes." I said. "That's another reason we had a problem finding the deep moles. Only two were active at a time and sometimes none of them were active. And there may be more of them, though I'm believing that they were nearing the end of the line on their recruiting, and we didn't give them new recruiting opportunities."

"All right, no more questions now." said the Chief. "I'm going home and hitting the sack; I'd suggest you all get some sleep, too. Everyone get your final reports in by noon. Meanwhile, I'll be writing up about fifteen Police Commendation Medals for you guys, and a Star for the Lieutenant. Have a good night..."

------------------

Laura sat down next to Molly, who had been afraid to talk to my wife during the evening. "Honey I know that my husband is the father of your baby, and I've long known you and he have been trying to make one. I want you to know how happy I am for you having this baby. If there's anything I can do to help you, please do give me a call."

"I was afraid you might be mad." said Molly. "I can't think of many wives who'd be happy their husbands knocked up another woman."

"Well, he's gone and knocked me up too..." Laura said, trying to be humorous, her own pregnancy very obvious. "Seriously, our relationship is just that strong, and maybe there's some Mormon in our family histories about multiple wives, but I'm excited for you."

After Laura left to find me, Cindy said to Molly "I'm excited and happy for you, too, but if any husband of mine impregnated another woman, I'd be pissed."

"Don't take this the wrong way, Sis," Molly said, "but I'm not foreseeing you having a husband to get pissed at, as much as I'm hoping for that to happen."

"Fair point, fair point." Cindy said, knowing that Molly's comment was as close to 'acceptance' as she was going to get from her sister. "By the way, I haven't had the chance to ask: How's Teresa doing in Midtown?"

"Good." Molly said. "She's already uncovered three officers on the take, all getting money from... guess who?"

"Nathan Allen." Cindy said.

"Yep." Molly said. "Teresa thinks Allen has some links to the Director of the SBI, the guy who hired Ikea away from you and keeps Dick Ferrell out of hot water. It'd be nice if we can get something and put that bastard Allen away..."

"Yeah, it sure as hell would..."

--------------------

"Just one small question." Jack Muscone said to me as Laura talked to Molly, "I heard you say that their 'local person' was the motorcycle assassin. I had forgotten to tell you that our rogue agent was here in the City at that time, no way she could've been the motorcyclist. So how did you know, and who do you think it is?"

"I knew because I'd asked Martin Nash to follow up on that while he stayed with you guys in the City, and he did and he told me." I said. "And I'm not sure who the motorcyclist is. Technically, no crime was committed, except reckless driving of a motorcycle. We'll just have to keep our eyes and ears peeled for that one..."

Part 44 - Epilogue

"Ah, Conrad, it's so good to see you again." said Henry Wargrave, as the old man greeted him at his (Conrad King's) mansion in West Palm Beach, Florida.

"Likewise, my young friend. Come in, come in." King escorted Wargrave to the back porch of the mansion, with its beautiful views of the beach and the ocean.

After they were seated and drinks served, Wargrave said "I am so sorry to hear about what happened to your son Jack, Conrad. I had no earthly idea he'd personally go to that scene and end up being caught by the police raid."

"Thank you, Henry." said Conrad. "It was indeed a blow, and I have no idea why my son was stupid enough to do that himself, either. But he was caught fair and square by good police work. They did what they were supposed to do and arrested him."

"Any chance he'll get out of this?"

"No." said the old man. "He's headed for a Federal Supermax prison. He's been told to cooperate with authorities, and he knows what he can talk about and what he's to keep his mouth shut about. But being in Supermax is actually a good thing. I think we can get him out of the country within a year. Of course he can never come back to the United States. But don't you worry, my young friend, we'll take care of that, and nobody blames you for any of it."

"Thank you, sir." said Wargrave, sipping on his single-malt Scotch. It was a rare and excellent brand.

"However, I can tell you this." said Conrad King. "We had that County marked for our operations, but it's pretty clear that their Police are just a little too good up there. That young man, the Iron Crowbar, he's as good as we thought he'd be when we tried to get him into the CIA while he was in college."

"He kicked Sergei Molotov to the kerb, and now he's busted your son's gang." said Wargrave. "Are you going to do anything to him?"

"Oh, nooooo..." said King. "No no no. He's just a good cop doing a good job. And I'm hoping that one day yet we can bring him into the fold, have him working with us. You once told me you told him he needs to get into the bigger Game, and you were right... by the way, we tried again to recruit him while he was in the Army Reserve, but he resisted."

King continued "But now... he's married to one of the highest CIA officers in the Company... she's a really great lady, too... and maybe we can get him in, even if he won't be doing anything like you're doing. But just having that brain of his would be immensely valuable to us, and he could rise to great, great heights."

"Sounds good." Wargrave said. "So you want me to stay out of his way?"

"Certainly." said Conrad King. "But you do have a few things that need taking care of, Henry. Dr. Fredricson has shown loyalty to her husband over the Company... that's laudable, and we understand... but we're going to have to shift our operations up there and begin diminishing her role. She wants to retire anyway, so that should work out, but we have to shut down that project in their Biology hole-- the truth about the dogs has come out, and the Public is aware-- and we need to transfer leadership of the Heinz projects.

"And then there's that real problem brewing up there... that Senator Allen. He's always been trying to play the big Game, thinking he's something... but in truth he is a little piece of shit that has caused us great harm in that County, and now he's fucked up and really created some issues for us up there."

"I'll handle him." said Wargrave, trying to soothe the agitated old man. "By the way, what about the Oldeeds Empire, that situation?"

"I think it'll handle itself, of course..." said Conrad King, who then peered at Wargrave. "Don't you?"

------------------

"I can assure you, Senator, that the Kearns case going forward is nothing. You have years ahead of you on that."

"And his case against my son? By the way, do you want a drink?" Nathan Allen asked as he poured himself a stiff bourbon. He and his lawyer were in his office at his home, and the day's news had not been good: the Iron Crowbar had defeated the Black Badge gang.

"No thank you." said Allen's lawyer. "And we're working to get that extended, and we'll ultimately sabotage it."

"Well, you're not doing a very good job there." Allen replied as he gulped his bourbon. "Judge Watts got assigned to Kearns' lawsuit against Dean, and he is making a point to push it. He had publicly objected when Stone gave Dean the plea deal, and now that nigger judge is trying to make trouble for my boy."

"Senator, just let us handle it, it will all be all right." the lawyer said. "It's actually good that Watts has the case; we're going to force him to recuse himself based upon those previous public statements, and that'll drag the case out even longer."

"Buddy, you better be right. Okay, thanks for all your work on it. Give me a call tomorrow." Allen said. He escorted the lawyer out, then went to pour himself another one.

It had been an absolutely hideous past few days. The Black Badge gang was now gone, utterly decimated by the Iron Crowbar. He had gone up and arrested them all in one place, almost as if he knew ahead of time where they'd be. The praise for that man by people, by the other candidates, had been sickening; in fact, he was the only County candidate that had not put out a statement praising the Iron Crowbar, and he'd left instructions with his campaign to not put out any such statement.

But worse, while he knew he was personally insulated from being connected to the gang, he knew that his use of them in the attack on the man's nephew and niece-in-law had ultimately led to the gang's defeat. He knew there were some powerful people upset with him, and he expected to hear from them. The fact that he had not heard from them at all yet was even more worrisome.

"Well, Senator," he heard the woman say, her voice cold and cutting, "Don't you think you'd better set a better example for your constituents and not drink so much?"

"Why... it is you. Elizabeth, isn't it?" Allen said. "Yes, I enjoy a drink now and then, it's good for the soul. Would you like one?" He poured himself a double; this woman's presence in his home was more than just bad news.

"No thank you, Senator." Elizabeth said as she walked towards the desk. Allen admired her body in the tight dress, the large breasts, hourglass shape, nice ass and those luscious, luscious legs. The Iron Crowbar's sister was one smoking hot bitch, he thought. He understood why Jonas Oldeeds had been totally infatuated with her.

"How'd you get here?" Allen said. "Aren't you supposed to still be in jail?"

"State Women's Prison is an even bigger joke than your poll numbers right now, Senator." Elizabeth said. "And that is why I'm here. You need my help, and very, very seriously."

"And why would you help me?" Senator Allen said.

"Because you have the power to give me something I want, in exchange for me helping you get some of what you want." Elizabeth said. "I want you to exert your influences on your connections that have influence on the Governor, and I want him to commute my sentence to time served in exchange for helping the SBI's Narcotics Task Force with their many unsolved cases. What I really want is a pardon, but I'm not going to try for too much at once."

"That's sound." said Allen, drinking a large swallow of bourbon. "So what am I going to get in exchange for this?"

"I know that you were a good friend of my beloved Jonas Oldeeds." Elizabeth said. "So I'm here to give you some information that you can pass on to his wife and his organization, especially about the CIA mole that has penetrated deep within them. And I do mean 'penetrated' very exactly."

"Why don't you pass that information along yourself?" Allen asked, partly out of curiosity, and partly out of fear of being ensnared by this woman, whose reputation was as powerful as her younger brother's, at least in the Criminal Underworld.

"Senator, you are beginning to irritate me." Elizabeth said. "If I go to them, they'll be grateful to me, and nothing will come of it. If you go to them, they'll be grateful to you and will be willing to help you out when you need it. And brother, you are soon about to need it."

Allen said nothing as Elizabeth poured him another stiff drink and handed it to him. "And furthermore, you get my help against my baby brother. When he comes against you... and Senator, he is indeed intending to come up against you... then you are going to want my help to soundly defeat him."


"Aw hell," Allen said, "I can have that bastard killed anytime I want, and they'll never trace it to me. They can bury him next to that little shit... Feeley, I think his name was... and give him a fancy funeral and he'll still be dead."

"Are you the one that tried having that low-life shoot him?" Elizabeth said. "How'd that work out for ya?"

"That wasn't me, I swear to God!" Allen cried out.

"My baby brother has survived three, count them three attempts on his life." Elizabeth said. "One by my son at Ward Harvester; one on the day Jonas died, and at the same Fairgrounds; and third, that joke attempt in Town in front of the tailor shop. And you think you're going to get the drop on him? I'll put my money on my brother on that one."