Center Stage Ch. 07

Story Info
Things don't go that easily for Zack.
8.9k words
39.8k
36
0

Part 7 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 11/16/2003
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I stretched back on the couch and placed the bag of ice onto my knee. The relief was almost immediate as the ice chilled the pain. I sat back and watched Madison play with some of her toys on the living room floor. She was making a growling noise as she batted a ball around. She was too cute for words sometimes. I closed my eyes and tried to relax. My mind drifted for a bit, and then I began to think of places where I could hide Zack’s body. I was definitely going to kill him when he got home.

Two months ago moving in with Zack sounded like a dream come true. I couldn’t wait to get the fuck out of the hospital. When I first moved in everything was wonderful. Sure I had some problems moving around and I was still pretty heavily bandaged up, but I was with Zack and that made everything better.

It only took a few weeks before the rose colored glasses were ripped from my eyes. Zack was a slob. That explains why I was sprawled out on the couch. I tripped over a wet towel he had left in the hallway. Yes that’s right. He dropped it in the fucking hallway. I could understand if he left it on the bathroom floor, or even the bedroom floor. Today is the fifth time I’ve fallen over some misplaced object.

Zack had a maid service that used to come in twice a week. He might have been a neat freak at some point in his life, but having someone clean up after him definitely made him lazy. I say he had a maid service because I cancelled it. He wasn’t going to be happy when he found out, but Zack would just have to deal with it. I just was not comfortable with someone else going through my things or picking up after me.

I understood Zack’s point that he could afford it, but just because you can afford it doesn’t mean you have to do it. I shifted the bag of ice on my knee and sighed. There were other problems besides Zack being a slob. Zack hadn’t made a move on me since Ariel tried to kill me. I tried to get him riled up and horny a few times, but he always brushed me off. I figured I would just give him some time, and hopefully he would come around.

I had a bad feeling that moving in with Zack may have been a mistake. Maybe we weren’t ready for this big of a step yet. A tiny voice in the back of my head thought that maybe we could never be ready for this. I quickly tried to push that thought aside, but as the days went on I was having trouble not believing it. Things seemed to be getting worse instead of getting better.

My thoughts were interrupted as Madison suddenly sat up and looked down the hallway. She looked at me and barked once before running down the hall. Zack was home. This had become her normal routine. She would run ahead to greet him at the door and then stay close to his heels until she was given a treat. Zack entered the living room and grinned at me as he threw his suit jacket and tie over the back of a chair. I held back the sigh that threatened to hiss from my lips.

“How’s my baby today?” Zack asked me as he leaned down to kiss my forehead. He looked at the ice on my leg. “What happened to you?”

“I tripped over a towel that some mysterious person left in the middle of the hallway.” I said with a grimace as I shifted the bag of ice again.

“You’re getting really clumsy, Cam, are you sure you don’t need glasses?” Zack said with a grin.

I knew he was teasing. Sure I did. That certainly didn’t stop the anger that began to bubble up inside of me though. The fact that he didn’t even try to apologize for it pissed me off. If I were normally a clumsy person I wouldn’t be upset, but I’m not. And what was with the kiss on the forehead? I grinned back at Zack and crossed my arms.

“I don’t think I need glasses, honey, but maybe I should get you a map. That way you could find the laundry basket. Which, by the way, is not located in the middle of the hallway.”

Zack was still smiling, but it didn’t quite reach his eyes.

“I’m going to have to call the service. The maid should have had all of that taken care of before you even got out of bed. I didn’t leave until 7:45 and they are supposed to be here at 8 a.m.” Zack said as he reached for the phone.

“Don’t bother calling them. I called a few days ago and cancelled the service.” I said before he could dial the number. “I told you I wasn’t comfortable with strangers picking up after me.”

“You what??” Zack growled at me.

“I’m sorry. I must have mumbled or stuttered.” I shot back sarcastically. “I…cancelled…the…maid…service.”

As I repeated myself I moved my hands as I spoke and used sign language to drive the point home. Zack’s neck bulged a bit and started to turn red. I knew the move would piss him off, but I didn’t care.

“You are such a fucking child.” Zack said as he stood up from the couch. He shot me an evil look and headed towards the kitchen.

“I might be, Zack, but at least a child cleans up after himself.” I threw over my shoulder at him. “You spoiled fucking brat.”

I heard his footsteps pause at my words, but it was only for a second. He knew that I was trying to get a rise out of him. That’s why he didn’t respond to me. Ever since I woke up in the hospital things had been a little different between us. I knew that Zack loved me. I could see it in his eyes. He was pulling away from me though, and I didn’t know how to get through to him.

As I took the bag of ice off of my leg I could hear him slamming cupboard doors in the kitchen. He calls me a child, but he’s the one slamming shit around. I grabbed my cigarettes off the table and lit one up. Madison came bounding over to me with a tennis ball clutched in her mouth. I took it from her and threw it down the hallway. The sounds of her paws scampering after it echoed throughout the apartment.

“You’re really not supposed to be moving your shoulder around like that for a few more weeks.” Zack said quietly.

“The bullet only grazed my shoulder, Zack.” I said as my hand rubbed gently against my wrapped up shoulder. “I started physical therapy last week. I’m supposed to be moving it around more now.”

“I thought you didn’t start therapy until next week.” Zack replied.

“It’s on the calendar in the kitchen.” I said as I rolled my eyes. “I wrote it down on there just the way you asked me to.”

“I guess I’m just used to you telling me day to day what’s on the schedule.” Zack said with a small grin.

His attempt at being charming wasn’t working on me this time.

“You’re right.” I said as I took a drag off of my cigarette. “You are used to me advising you of the schedule, BUT since you won’t let me come back to work just yet it looks like you’re on your own. Honestly, Zack, if you can’t even read the calendar on the fridge how the fuck are you managing your business calendar?”

Zack didn’t respond to me. I glanced over my shoulder at him and he quickly looked away.

“What aren’t you telling me, Zack? You know I can tell when you’re lying.” I said to him. “So just fess up!”

“I’m not handling my calendar at work.” Zack mumbled.

My gaze tightened on him and my eyes went ice cold.

“You just told me yesterday that you were handling everything fine on your own. Did you have a temp brought in?” I hissed. He shook his head. “Please tell me that you didn’t hire someone else for the position.”

Zack raised his head to meet my gaze. He nodded his head quickly. I jumped up off the couch. I was so fucking mad I was seeing red.

“Well I’ll be a dirty mother fucker.” I said, as I got right up in Zack’s face. “YOU told me that everything was fine. YOU told me that you didn’t need ME to come back right now.” My finger poked him in the chest to accent my words. “And yet you hired SOMEONE else to take over my job. You could have at LEAST just brought a temp in. Then again I guess what you said was true. You did need someone there, but you just didn’t need ME.”

I spun around and headed towards the kitchen. I need a drink and goddamn it I needed it now! How the fuck could he do this to me? Didn’t he realize that I would find out about this? I LOVED my job and it wasn’t just dealing with Zack every day that made me love it. Sure it was a great perk that I could see him all day long, but I actually enjoyed what I did. Well technically I guess that would be what I used to do.

“I wanted to tell you sooner, but I was afraid that you…” Zack’s voice broke off as I began slamming through the cupboards.

“Afraid that I would what, Zack?” I tossed over my shoulder at him. My voice was starting to rise with my anger. “Afraid that I would be irrational and upset? Afraid that I would freak out and start throwing things? Be pissed off because your dirty, lying piece of shit ass lied to me?”

“Cam, you need to calm down.” Zack said as he put a hand on my shoulder.

“FUCK being calmed down.” I shot back at him as I brushed his hand off of my shoulder. “You lied to me. You told me that you wanted me to come back, but you felt I should have some time to get over what happened. It’s been over two months, Zack. I was ready to go back to work after two weeks, but you wouldn’t let me. YOU thought I should take some more time off. If you ever planned on having me come back then you wouldn’t have hired someone to fill my position.”

“I didn’t know how you were going to react to what happened, Cam.” Zack said softly. “I can’t imagine what it must have been like for you. I figured I would hire someone in your place so that way you had all the time that you needed.”

“You didn’t know how I was going to react?” I threw back at him. “You haven’t even ASKED ME HOW I FUCKING FELT! You haven’t consulted me about anything. You’re making all the decisions and not even bothering to fill me in on anything. Why should I expect you to even talk to me when you won’t even fucking touch me.” Zack’s eyes flared at my words, but I continued on. “Well that’s not going to float around here anymore. We are going…”

“You’re not going to tell me how to act in my own home.” Zack shot back at me.

“Of course. How foolish of me. Your home. Not our home, your home.” I said softly in defeat. “I knew that this was going to be a problem. I shouldn’t have agreed to move in here. This was a bad idea.” I turned and headed towards the bedroom. “You’re so concerned about what’s yours and what you want that you never stopped to realize what you lost.”

“And what’s that, Cameron?” Zack asked.

“Me.”

* * *

“I really appreciate you letting me stay here, Aiden.” I said as I dropped my suitcase next to the bed. “It was nice of you to let me crash in your guest room on such short notice.”

“Anything for a friend, Cam.” Aiden said with a smile. He reached up and scratched his belly. Aiden was in a pair of running shorts and a white, worn tank top. As his hand scratched at the invisible itch it showed off his rock hard ab muscles. “So what was with your grab and dash from Zack’s place? You two seemed to be perfect for each other.”

“Zack’s place is the key part of what you just said, Aid.” I replied. I started to pull clothes out of my suitcase. This gave me the opportunity to look away from him. The man was a walking advertisement for sin if there ever was one. “It never was really our place. I think I was more of a guest actually.”

“I’m sorry, Cam.” Aiden said with a sympathetic smile. “You’re more than welcome to stay here as long as you want.”

“Don’t be sorry, Aiden, it’s not your fault.” I replied with a small smile. “You know what they say. Relationships based on intense experiences never work.”

“Ok. We’ll have to base it on sex then. You want to go grab a drink Jack?” Aiden said with a huge grin.

“Sure Annie.” I laughed. I was glad he caught my reference to the movie Speed. “But don’t think you are going to get me all liquored up and take advantage of me.”

“Why not?” Aiden asked as I walked past him.

“Cause I’m a sure thing.” I threw back over my shoulder with a wicked grin.

“You’re a pain in the ass. That’s for sure.” Aiden threw back as he followed me.

“I’ll give you a pain in the ass.” I growled at him. I turned around and grabbed my crotch. “You’d definitely be walking funny the next day, studly.”

Aiden walked past me laughing his ass off. I followed him into the kitchen. It was difficult to keep my eyes off of his firm, muscular ass. Images of Zack’s ass filtered into my head, but I firmly pushed them away.

“What’s your poison this evening, sir?” Aiden asked in a perfect bartender impersonation.

“Surprise me.” I said with a grin.

“I expect a really huge tip by the end of the evening for serving you.” Aiden said with a chuckle.

“First, I want to know who told you how big my tip was.” I said with a wink. “And you can have whatever you want if you service me the right way.”

“You are just too much sometimes you know that?” Aiden asked as he passed me a bottle of beer.

“Who told you I was too much?” I asked grabbing my crotch again.

“What has gotten into you tonight?” Aiden asked with a laugh. “Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining! You’ve just never been this sexual.”

“I think the problem is what hasn’t gotten into me in over two months.” I mumbled. I quickly tilted the bottle back. The beer burned slightly as it rushed down my throat. I hadn’t meant to get into this topic of conversation. My mouth always moves faster than my goddamn brain though.

“Are you fucking serious?” Aiden said with a raised eyebrow. “How could any gay man in his right mind keep his hands off of you that long?”

My face blushed hard from his compliment. It’s been a long time since anyone complimented me like that. I was glad that I called Aiden before anyone else. I needed someone I could relax around and not have to worry about rehashing everything that happened to me. He was aware of the entire “Ariel-gate” situation.

“If I ever figure out the answer to that question, Aid, you’ll be the first one I tell.” I said with a sigh. “He was so affectionate at the hospital, but once we got home it was a different story. What could have happened?”

Aiden was just about to answer my question when the phone rang. He leaned over me to grab the wall extension. My head swam for a minute in his scent. I’m not talking about body order. I’m talking about that special scent that every man has. I think it’s a pheromone or something, but don’t quote me on that. I sucked at biology in school.

“Hi Grandma!” Aiden said into the phone. “How are you?” Aiden started chuckling.

“Tell grandma I said hello.” I whispered in his ear as I headed back towards the bathroom. On my way back from the bathroom I heard him talking quietly.

“Yes, grandma, he’s the one I told you about. He’s been having some problems and needed somewhere to crash.” I heard Aiden murmur. “Yes, I’m sure it’s a good idea. They are just going through a rough patch right now…everything will be fine, gram…yes, I know you worry about me…I’m a big boy now.”

I walked into the kitchen as the ‘big boy’ comment left his lips. I playfully grabbed at his crotch. He laughed and slapped my hands away.

“Grandma!” Aiden said loudly. His face turned bright red. “Yes, you may have changed my diapers, but that doesn’t give you the option to say things like that to me.”

A giggle escaped from my lips. My hand shot up and covered my mouth, but it was too late. Aiden heard me. He shot me a death look. Of course that only made me giggle harder. Aiden turned his back to me. I turned and grabbed my beer. Just as I took a swig I looked back at Aiden. He jerked up the back of his tank top and mooned me! I would have admired the view, but the action caught me so off guard. I wasn’t able to stop myself as beer shot out of my mouth and nose.

“I got to go, gram.” Aiden said into the phone. “It seems that Cameron is a pig. He just spit beer all over my kitchen…what…no, I didn’t moon him…yes, ma’am, I know I shouldn’t lie…yes I mooned him. I love you too. Bye.”

Aiden hung up the phone and turned to look at me. His hands shot back to pull up his shorts. Aiden came over and patted me on my back. I was still coughing up a storm from my beer fountain impersonation.

“I’m guessing I got you pretty well…” Aiden began. “Or were just so excited about seeing my ass you couldn’t help yourself?”

“Don’t flatter yourself, buddy.” I said once my coughing fit was done. “Your ass couldn’t excite an inmate that’s been in solitary for ten years without any human contact.”

“Ouch! You’re a bitch.” Aiden said as he pinched my ass.

I lunged for him, but he darted around the table. He picked up his beer and laughed at me. The atmosphere was so relaxed, and under any other circumstances I would be probably making a huge play for Aiden. I knew where my heart was though. It belonged to that fuck head Zack.

A few hours later we were feeling pretty damn good. I haven’t kicked back and had a guys night out like this in a long time. We had been joking around and laughing so much my stomach was actually hurting.

“Why do people drink?” Aiden said with a slight slur.

“I drink because I am a sensitive and highly strung person.” I replied giggling.

“No.” Aiden said with a grin. “That’s why your co-stars drink.”

“First Wives’ Club!” We said at the same time cracking up.

Tonight was probably the best night I’ve had in months. There was no tension or arguing. There was no worrying about whether or not I would be restricted to sleeping on my side of the bed. I didn’t have to worry about whether or not he would call me during the day. I was able to just relax. I was grateful to have Aiden as my friend.

* * *

Zack’s Point Of View

A sigh escaped my lips as I sat up against the headboard. I couldn’t sleep for shit. This was the third time tonight that my body rolled over to the other side of the bed. Which normally wasn’t a problem, but tonight that side of the bed was cold. There was no warm body there. My eyes glanced over to where Cameron should be lying sound asleep right now.

God lord, how could I have let things get this bad? I knew that I was having issues, but I really wasn’t ready to talk about them. So being the ass that I am I just acted like everything was fine. I should have talked to Cameron and let him know what I was feeling. I should have at least told him something, but instead I ended up losing him. Which is what caused this entire problem in the first place.

My past relationships haven’t been the best. Lucas was a prime example of how my past relationships went. Sure I was with someone, but emotionally I really didn’t let anyone in. Cameron changed all of that. Somehow he managed to get through every wall I had setup around myself. If I were honest with myself he didn’t just get around the walls. That man blew them apart.

The moment he walked into my office for his interview I knew that there would be trouble. The man was fucking gorgeous in my opinion. One of the best things about Cameron though is that he really doesn’t have any idea about how attractive he is. The other thing I realized right off the bat was his wicked sense of humor. The man’s tongue was sharper than barbed wire and faster than a pre-teen jerking off.

Things went pretty smoothly at first when Cam started. The last few assistants had things so disorganized most of Cameron’s day was occupied with that. In fact I was impressed because he got everything under control by the end of his first day. It didn’t take me long to figure out that I had gotten very lucky when Cam applied for this position. He was not only one of the smartest people I met, but every day he just seemed to become more and more attractive to me.

I couldn’t tell you the number of times I called him into my office just to watch him walk away. Fate had bestowed a tight, firm, muscular bubble butt on the man. The dress pants he wore almost seemed to caress his ass when he walked. Just watching him walk was enough to excite me. There were a few times I couldn’t even get up from my desk, otherwise my situation would have been clearly evident.