Cherrington Triumphs

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The big tractor rumbled up to the house and Nellie said, "This will be Bert arriving for his lunch. His big interests are eating and the weather oh and production per cow, er per moo-moo."

"What about sex?"

"What's that?"

"God you two are carrying on like schoolgirls," Guy said and the women laughed.

Bert came in, tossed his hat on the bench by the telephone and looked at Cherrington.

He gaped and said, "Jesus."

"Actually I'm Cherrington," she said, sending mother and son into laughter. "I'm told you'll want me to call you Bert."

"You may call me anything you wish but don't call me late for breakfast," he smiled. "Hasn't my son done well?"

"I wouldn't know but on our newspaper your son is regarded as a very competent reporter while the women like me are just there to look good."

"Dad that's a lie..." but Cherrington's frown stopped Guy.

"I know. Those other wenches attempting to act like reporters can't all be as good-looking as Cherrington," said Bert.

She changed the subject by asking, "Tell me about the moo-moos."

"What the heck are they?"

"Cows," chorused the other three and laughed wildly.

"You sure are making an impact by being in this house Cherrington. Welcome to Thistle Farm. Originally it grew more thistles than grass but those days are well gone."

On the slower drive home because of the Monday bank holiday traffic congestion, Guy said, "Gosh me parents really loved having you visit. I've taken girls home before, quite a few over the years, but they have never reacted to any of them like they did to you this weekend. It was full on for them."

"They must be getting desperate to see you marry."

"No it's because of the way you project warmth and vitality."

"Oh come on Guy, you can get sex from me without buttering me up like this."

"It's true Cherrington. There's something magic about you."

"God now you are embarrassing me. Please talk about something else."

CHAPTER 2

When Guy dumped her... well he finally left Cherrington looking rather upset. But they had understood from the outset of their relationship that she had no intention of marrying at this stage in her life but that he, being thirty, had the desire to marry and settle down.

Their farewell was unspectacular. They went to dinner and slowly became drunk and then left, going their separate ways after a departing kiss that lacked enthusiasm, signaling they were done with each other. Well during the evening they had agreed they'd only come together for the sex. Guy was now thirty-three and she twenty-four.

That severance jogged Cherrington a little and made her grumpy for a couple of days as she thought about where she was in her career and where should she be.

She realized her career in news journalism had stalled and perhaps this was as far as she would go. There had been no headhunter arrive to recruit her on behalf of a metro London newspaper. In fact no job offers had come her way and after three years she had worked at the same desk in Features going absolutely nowhere although had picked up a media award each year.

Cherrington looked across at Sally who was to retire in a year to so who was working mechanically. Would she succeed Sally as Features editor with a staff of four and fall into the way of working mechanically?

She sighed and said aloud, "I have allowed my career to stall."

She thought about that on and off all day and during dinner, when Emma had left the table to fetch dessert, Cherrington decided it was time to move. Either that or she faced the reality of career stagnation. At this stage she was little more than a digit.

"Emma I'm thinking of moving on."

"Ah I thought you would now that Guy has dumped you."

Cherrington winced. Well perhaps she should concede that point.

"What will you do darling, return to the vicarage and hope your old newspaper will re-employ you?"

"God no, that would be sliding backwards."

"Oh you are thinking of going to London where the streets are paved in gold."

"I hope to be more sensible than that Emma. I'll have a job before I move. You know it's been so wonderful living with you."

Emma came around the corner of the table and hugged Cherrington and patted her with motherly affection.

"Oh darling you are missing Guy terribly aren't you. You poor darling; I know what it's like to miss a loved one."

No way was Cherrington pining for Guy. He was gone and that was it, although they still worked in the same building and on the same floor. Her thoughts were totally on the realization her career had stalled.

Rather than watch TV with Emma that night, Cherrington began a job search on the Internet and next morning brought copies of the big London dailies (newspapers) to search for job vacancies, particularly the higher echelon jobs advertised by recruitment agencies. She accepted it would take some time to relocate and that she would face frustrations but at least she was in a job and being paid while the search went on.

Five weeks and a dozen interviews later, mostly conducted by phone but two were by Internet link-ups via Skype. Then came a surprising switch, "We want to come down and interview you in your accustomed environment."

Cherrington said to the company executive, Miss Aitken, "That's unnecessary, I can come to you."

"No we want to see how you are when relaxed. It's what we are about."

No it wasn't a porn-filming outfit. It was an independent TV program-making company that offered its output to BBC-TV and other TV networks internationally that screened programs about life in the UK and programs about its leading-edge inventors, scientists, educators and so on.

The company was called Moving Eye Independent Film Studios and the person being sought was a script editor. Cherrington had sent off her application and CV along with examples of her award and details of achievements such as awards. Then the recruitment agency asked an assortment of six more photos of her and a film clip if she could manage that.

The newspaper's chief photographer refused money but said he'd photograph Cherrington in different environment and film her in return for a couple of dates.

"You mean sex?"

Harry grinned and said she was much too bright by far.

"But you're married."

"So? That's why I limited it to two dates. Go for more and I increase the risk of being caught out exponentially."

"What?"

"It doesn't matter. Do we have a deal?"

"Yes. And it will be the nearest I've been to prostitution."

He laughed and said she would be rewarded by his demonstration of skills in all directions.

Cherrington had to admit it worked out brilliantly. Er brilliant photos, a brilliant film clip and the same applied to um the other thing.

The two executives booked into the Crown and Anchor Hotel and Cherrington was invited there to dinner.

Jill Aitken, the company's director of production, looked at Neil Baker, the company's general manager, and said, "Neil and I run the company that's owned by Egyptian investors and they have one of their own installed as CEO but he's next to useless. We are using the opportunity to interview you to have a couple of naughty nights away."

The both looked at Cherrington intently.

"God this is the type of company I wish to work in?"

Jill and Neil relaxed, smiling.

"Well I guess the pitch is you interview me over dinner and that's your requirement with me done?"

"Yes," said Neil. "We need to check if you know which knife and fork to use at dinner."

"I never have a problem. I just wait and watch what other people pick up"

They laughed and Cherrington noticed Jill nod almost imperceptibly to Neil whose smile deepened.

Omigod; they'd already decided.

Cherrington left the meeting rather confused. Nothing had been said that she had the job. Jill had said they would be in touch. She was also concerned Jill and Neil appeared rather wacky people to be senior executives in a multi-million pound company with its own studios. It had astonished her that two people she didn't know, told her they had come to East Anglia for a couple of naughty nights of adultery because Neil certainly appeared married by the easy manner he displayed with Jill.

Back in her room the mystery was solved when she checked on them on their company website. Yes Jill and Neil were married, to each other. Jill had been in theater direction for fifteen years and had kept her professional name when she married Neil who had often worked with her on productions. That company search also provided confirmation that held the posts in the company as they had claimed, plus Neil was deputy CEO.

Next afternoon when Cherrington had finished her work and was thinking of having her hair cut when leaving the office later she took a call from Jill.

"Hi how's the sex?"

Jill laughed.

"I said to Neil after you left that you are one of us. We can't stand stuffy people. The sex is great but I'll calling to ask would you consider being an on-camera presenter/narrator? There's something special about you we can't quite finger."

"That sounds really sexy."

Jill screamed with laughter.

"Yes I think that could be a good niche for me Jill. I'm anxious to move my career forward."

"Good, when can you start?"

"I'm obliged to give one month's notice."

"From tomorrow?"

"Yes I'll lodge my resignation today."

"Excellent that means I can plan your immersion that will include formal training, observation and some small assignments. Then if you become too successful probably the BBC or an American outfit will poach you."

"Oooh."

"Good girl, I was hoping you wouldn't lie and say you'd never leave us."

"No but you have my promise of loyalty until the time comes to resign."

"Well yes, I'd already gathered you'd be that type of person. It will be lovely to have you aboard darling. Until a month's time then but we will send you information to your home address and your contract to peruse and to send back signed or you can call to negotiate."

"Um salary?"

"Fifty percent more than what you are earning now darling with a review six months on. You insert the figure in the contract. I trust you. Bye."

Cherrington took Emma out for dinner next evening and they drank French champagne that left Emma practically legless. But Cherrington got her home and into bed without any hassle. * * *

Cherrington arrived at the Moving Eye Independent Film Studios located in a former Country House on the outskirts of the village of Long Ditton in Surrey, on the boundary of Greater London. The taxi driver told her it was just a short walk to reach the River Thames, just opposition Hampton Palace and she was close to Surbiton and not too far from Richmond and the Kew Royal Botanic Gardens.

Jill had found accommodation for Cherrington with a widow with two daughters in their early twenties who still lived at home.

Mrs Wordsworth greeted Cherrington brightly, and that was a good sign.

"Let's have a cup of tea Cherrington. Please call me Irene but I'll take you to your bedroom suite first. I had the house extended to provide this bedroom suite for a boarder. We can walk to the studios that are less than five minutes away. I'm the senior receptionist there but we'll come home at different times because you'll often work late and have late meetings or will be away with a film crew."

"That's very nice. Um how do we get there when it snows?"

"Oh no problem. In heavy rain or in snow one of the guys will come by for us. They look after me because I look after them. We have snow starting in November perhaps and ending in March or perhaps another fall in April but rarely do we get more than four days snowing in any month."

The room was airy and spacious overlooking the neighbor's house and small garden but it suited Cherrington fine.

"I was given the day off today to welcome you and to help you settle in and later this afternoon I'll take you down to tour the facilities at the studios and then we can return for a nice cup of tea."

"Um do you drink?"

"Do you mean do I visit a pub regularly?"

"Well yes."

"I do, actually every evening. Would you like to accompany me?"

"Oh yes please."

Irene said, "\Oh I thought such a raving beauty like you wouldn't go near alcohol."

"Raving beauty?"

"I suggest you look in the mirror dear one and I do like your modesty and am delighted you will be seen with me in our local. I'll love showing you off and my daughters will join us there. Um they are a little plain."

"But are lovely girls?"

"That's for sure Cherrington. You know, I like you very much already. You really do project charisma."

"I what?"

Irene smiled, shaking her head.

"Dear I watch a lot of TV and you have what a lot of them haven't got because it comes from inside, not through reading textbooks or having a good coach. I'm thinking you don't really know much about yourself but then again does it matter? In your field it matters what others see in you. I bet Jill Aitken saw it in you."

Those comments made Cherrington think. So Jill and Neil had taken two days off from the hard grind to interview Cherrington personally, but Jill had already decided about Cherrington but wished to see if she had, er, charisma or whatever it was she wished to detect.

That afternoon she met Jill again. Jill rushed up to her and kissed her and brushed back the much younger woman's fringe in an act of affectionate familiarity. Cherrington was quite sure she'd felt Jill's intensity.

God Jill wasn't coming on to her was she? Cherrington hoped it was the passion Jill felt for her work and her responsibilities.

The facilities were impressive but smaller than Cherrington had expected although she had to admit she hadn't really known what to expect.

"More than half of this old brick and stone dwelling remains disused," Jill said. "That's because much of our filming is done on site but we do use the smaller sound stage for interviews and do film complete productions at times using the other two stages. We have room to develop if required so I'm happy about that. But you may be aware that independent film companies come and go. There are successes of course but it's also a great industry in which to lose money."

* * *

Cherrington had expected the pub to be called something like The Pig and Whistle or King's Head or more likely The Red Lion. But no, it was called the City Arms and was located in nearby Thames Dillon.

The 'public house' was appropriately village style. Irene's daughters Olivia (21) and Louise (22) arrived and greeted Cherrington excitedly, obviously impressed. Irene drank dark beer and the girls favored light dry wine.

An hour later Louise's boyfriend arrived and had a beer and then drove them home where he'd already been invited to come to dinner to meet the new lodger. Terry was friendly and didn't appear to mind he was outnumbered by females. He expressed an interest in what Cherrington did and his astute questioning drew information from her that interested mother and daughters.

Cherrington's first day at the studios was a drag apart from mid-afternoon when the good-looking manager of the computer graphics department, Freddie Drake, invited her to a party on Friday night. She was pleased about that. As she was about to leave work at 4:30, Jill came out of her office and asked how the day had gone.

"It was such a drag I was almost screaming."

"Right tomorrow I'll put you to work on a small ad shoot."

"Oh thank you."

"Look Neil and I will be going to a restaurant early next week with a group of friends for dinner, friends of mixed ages. Nothing much will happen for you around here unless you get socializing. I want you to come with us."

"Okay, thanks."

Well that sounded like a step up at work and socially.

The ad job was for a 58-second screening on TV plus fade-out.

Naïve Cherrington thought that would be an hour's work but astonishing it took most of the day and she lengthened the time by making a suggestion.

Although a director was part of the filming crew, the ad agency rep also had her say and the representative of the book chain of stores, the client, also chipped in. After a total of seven shoots everyone appeared satisfied. And then Cherrington said, "Could we shoot it again with me changing my script? Having me smile and say, 'Parker & Wallace Books are pleased to announce the availability right now of...blah, blah' will do little to stimulate book sales, at least in my opinion. But as a journalist I know the difference between a plodding read and a titivating read in a newspaper and what we are doing here can't be all that much different."

"You are out of order Cherrington," said the studio's ad director Sheryl Young.

"Why don't we do this shoot and view it?" said advertising rep. "What do you think Veronica?"

"Great idea."

Cherrington said, "Put me right on this. This ad will run Thursday through Sunday twice at approximately the same times each evening, and the following week a replacement ad runs?"

"Correct," smiled Veronica.

Filming commenced and Cherrington smiled and said, "Hi it's Cherrington Vixen again with another great read for you from Parker and Wallace stores. This week's selected title is 'Cloudy Waters', researched and written by Kitty Chalmers, PhD, a water quality consultant. Believe me, books about our environment are all the rage now and this well-presented insight into the growing pollution problems in some of England's most revered waterways makes a gripping and worrying read. Go into a P&W store and flick through a couple of pages and be prepared to be hooked."

The directors and Veronica clapped.

It was decided to stick with what had been filmed but for Veronica to show the changed format to her superiors and if they liked it they could introduce it next week.

An hour later Sheryl called Cherrington to say the clients were over the moon about the new filming format and wanted to commence screening it this Thursday.

"We are now setting up for a perfect filming of you doing your bit. Nothing needs to be changed. Veronica went into bat for you and her bosses decided to allow you to use P&W on the second mention of the company."

"Oh."

"We are pleased with you Cherrington. Don't go shy on me. Oh remember you'll now have to do the new ad each Tuesday. You've made a noose for yourself for at least three months and then, as Jill says, we could get away replacing you if necessary."

God, Jill knew she had stuffed up the system, creating delays with that shoot.

Veronica kissed her and said don't worry about the extra costs. The ad agency had agreed to pick up the tab providing they were given the credit for the suggested change of format.

"The crafty devils don't want to lose P&W as a client. Generally what they do is fine and so this is okay with me. What about you?"

"It's fine by me."

"Good, the agency is giving you and me six bottles of champagne each, to be delivered to our home addresses. It can't be construed as a bribe because it wasn't made until after we committed to re-shoot. It's just a way of saying thanks. Will you come to my parents place at Richmond-on-Thames on Sunday for brunch? They love meeting interesting people. There will be no more than twenty people there."

"Yes providing you advise me what to wear."

The first screening was timed for 7:42 on Thursday.

Irene and the girls sat watching TV in rising excitement.

"It's only a 60-second ad; it will be over so fast you won't even know it's me," Cherrington complained. "You guys getting so excited is making me nervous. You'll see it and fall flat."

It was the second ad screened in a string.

"There she is," whispered Olivia and the ad began.

"God you look sexy," Irene murmured.