CHOGM Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He was then introduced to the seemingly endless stream of brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles, nieces and nephews and cousins. It appeared that when Jenny had called her parents to tell them that she was coming home to visit for a few days and that she was bringing a friend, her mother had contacted all their relatives who coincidentally lived close by, and they gathered for a reunion to honour their famous daughter, the model.

In no time at all the women folk had disappeared to prepare the fatted calf and the men had adjourned to talk men talk, which was initially of work, but gradually turned, as the latest vintage from the family cellar took control, to a mood of braggadocio. It was during this that Russell found himself put very firmly on the spot. Slapping him lustily on the back Petrelli Senior said "Russell, tell me, you and my Jenny, you have jig-a-jig, yes?"

"No Mr Petrelli." Russell was aware of the term, even if he were not, the tone of voice with which the question was asked left him in no doubt as to its meaning. "We haven't known each other for very long and I respect her too much to do anything like that. She is a lovely girl and one day, if she'll have me, I hope to marry her."

"Is good. I would have liked for her to marry a good Italian boy, but you know these modern women, they have no respect for the traditional values."

"On the contrary. Jenny has a lot more love and respect for her family and its values than you expect. She would never do anything that would bring shame to them."

It was obvious that this was the right answer to give and Russell was aware that he was fast gaining the confidence of Jenny's father. "Tell me, what you do for a living?"

"I am a Journalist."

"Which newspaper do you work for?" Russell told him. "You are not one of them Socialisti are you?" He seemed relieved to find that Russell's political leanings were more Centre then Left.

While this was happening Jenny and her mother were locked in her bedroom and conversation. "This man you bring to our house, is he the man for you?"

"Yes Mama. I have only known him for a few days but already I know in certainty that he is for me. He is kind and thoughtful and I love him."

"Answer me truly, do you make love with him?"

"Yes Mama. But it is only because I love him, and I want to show my love in the deepest way."

"And he loves you?"

"Yes. And not because he told me, even though he has told me that, I can feel it in his touch. He makes me feel like I am the only person in the world when we are together."

"How did you meet him? He doesn't look like any of the men that I have seen working with the ladies clothes. He looks like a man."

"I met him when he was working on a story at the hotel where I did my last fashion parade. He helped me carry my bag to the car and we got talking. One thing led to another and here we are. I have even been helping him with the story that he has written for his newspaper. As we worked together I suddenly realised that there is more to life than the shallow world of fashion. I want to be and work with him forever."

"Jenny, you and your man, are you in danger?"

"Why do you ask?"

"A mother knows when something is worrying her child. You have your reasons for bringing him here and it's not just so that we can meet with him, is it?"

"We are not in any danger. It is just that the men that we are working with want us out of the way for a few days because there are some bad men who have been following them and they don't want us taking the chance of being connected with them."

"I think maybe we should tell your Papa about this, come."

They left the room and headed for the living room where the men had become a noisy jovial family once more. Mrs Petrelli called her husband over to the door and spoke to him softly in Italian. He beckoned Russell over and they all walked down the hallway to Mr Petrelli's office.

"Mama tells me that you and my Jenny are involved in some bad business. Tell me what it is about."

Russell outlined as briefly as possible as much detail about the troubles and their involvement in it. He played down the danger that they could be in and highlighted the achievements and the terrific amount of assistance that Jenny had been. "Mr Petrelli, you should be very proud of Jenny. What she has done for us has been most appreciated."

"This car that you drive, where did you get it?"

The question came as a complete surprise to Russell, who was taken off guard for a moment and had to think very quickly before answering. "It belongs to the men with whom we are working, why?"

"Have you ever heard of Lou Carbone?"

"Yes. Isn't he involved in illegal gambling and drugs?"

"Could be. It seems that when he was spoken to by the police the other day a man driving either this car or one just like it was there too. Was that you?"

"No."

"You're not in any trouble with them are you?"

"Not as far as I know."

"Good. I think that we will have to keep it very quiet that you are here, just in case."

"You don't think that anyone is looking for us do you?"

"Better to be safe than sorry. I'll swear the others to secrecy." He left the room to talk with the rest of the family. "Don't worry my children," Mrs Petrelli had a calm reassuring tone to her voice, "The family will close ranks about you, just like they did in the big war. No-one will know that you are here."

"Look Mrs Petrelli, if we are causing any problems by being here, just say so and we'll leave."

"No. If our girl and her man are in trouble, even if it is with the police, we will help them all that we can. Not to do so, this is against our family honour."

"I don't think that there will be any trouble, because the people we are dealing with are not Italian."

Mr Petrelli came back into the room. "Tell me my son, these people you are having trouble with, are they American?"

"Yes, some of them are. Why do you ask?"

"Jenny's cousin, the son of my older brother, he goes to some places that not even his wife knows of, not very nice places if you know what I mean. He has just told me that the Americans are trying to take over the running of the gambling places and brothels. The local people do not want this but the Americans have a lot of money to put into this."

"That's interesting, but I don't see the connection."

"The Americans, they are not of the Families or the Mafiosi. The word on the streets is that they are Government people."

"It probably doesn't have anything to do with what we are working on, unless, no, even they wouldn't get involved in prostitution unless it is part of their narcotics distribution in this country. Still it could be important enough to follow up. Thank you for your help Mr Petrelli."

"Call me Papa, after all you are going to marry my girl. You must consider yourself one of the family."

After Mr and Mrs Petrelli had left the room Russell turned to Jenny and, taking her in his arms pressed his lips softly against her forehead and whispered to her, "Darling, your mother and father are the most wonderful people. Anyone would think that they had known me for years the way that they have accepted me into the family. I don't know where I would be now if I hadn't bumped into you at that fashion parade."

"Who bumped into who? If my memory serves me correctly it was I that bumped into you."

"So it was. You brazen hussy, why me?"

"You were the strongest looking person there, the others all either had limp wrists or were as fat as pigs. Except of course for our three friends that is, but then I wouldn't have asked them."

"Why not?"

"Well they did try in a funny way to pick me up. I didn't want to encourage them, I might never have got rid of them."

"They probably would have run a mile if you had."

"Thanks a lot! You're probably right though."

"Hey that reminds me. I had better ring the others to let them know where we are."

"Yes we had. There's a phone there that you can use."

Russell rang his flat and gave the address and phone number of Jenny's parents' house and passed on the information about the Americans moving in on organised crime.

***

The evening meal was a noisy affair with everyone trying to talk at once and eat at the same time. The wine flowed freely and the gestures became more expansive as the evening wore on. The food was both plentiful and rich, with sauces redolent of garlic, herbs and spices. The pasta was cooked to perfection, the meats melted in the mouth.

This was followed by the richest and creamiest desserts that Russell had ever experienced and all of this was washed down with copious quantities of cold sweet spumante. By the end of the meal the whole assembly was lolling about in a state of semi-sleep or semi-inebriation, but totally at peace with the world. Russell eased the belt of his straining trousers another notch. "How can you keep your figure with food like this?"

"Why do you think I live on my own? If I'd stayed here I would be as fat as some of my female cousins by now. Will you still love me when I look like they do?"

"Of course I will, do you doubt it?"

"You men! You were supposed say that you love me just as I am and encourage me not to change."

"Hold it. Of course I love you just as you are. You have the most amazing figure that I have ever seen, but that is not the only reason that I love you. I love you for your mind and personality as well. Anyway, if you get big and fat I will love you just as much, the only difference is that I won't have as much competition for you affections."

"You stupid idiot! There is no competition now. I love you and that's all there is to it. Take it or leave it."

"Your parents seem pretty sure that you and I are going to get married. Have they pressed the point of us setting a date?"

"Not yet. I told them that we will get married but I haven't told them when."

"Do you think we should tell them that we will do it as soon as possible?"

"Do you really mean that?"

"Of course I do silly. Do you think that I would be stupid enough to pass up the opportunity of a lifetime to marry the sexiest, most gorgeous, smartest, brightest.."

"I seem to be getting a message here. You are not displeased with the proposition, although I'm not all you say I am."

"If you're fishing for compliments where can I start. Let me see now, for a fat, lazy, ugly old broad you've done alright for yourself catching someone as handsome, witty, suave and sophisticated not to mention filthy rich as me. How was that?"

"You idiot. Just consider yourself lucky that I chose you, after all no-one else would. I was your last chance to save yourself from a life of lonely bachelorhood."

"I think that it is time to formalise our arrangement." Russell rose to his feet and tapped the side of his glass with a spoon. When everyone was paying attention to him he cleared his throat. "Mr and Mrs Petrelli, you are all well aware that Jenny and I love each other and plan to marry. In keeping with the tradition that requires that I ask your permission I ask you. May I have your permission to marry your daughter Jenny?"

The announcement was greeted with cheers and cries. Mrs Petrelli hugged Jenny to her and cried openly with joy. Mr Petrelli slapped Russell heavily on the shoulder and pronounced him truly one of the family. "Tony! Go to the cellar for more wine. This calls for a real celebration."

Within minutes the slapping of backs and cries from the women folk competed on more or less equal terms with the sound of the popping of spumante corks. The wine flowed, glasses remained full and the people got fuller. The party kicked on in earnest.

In the early hours of the morning the last of the relatives had departed noisily and Mrs Petrelli announced that the dishes would wait until the morning. She left to go to bed followed by her husband. Jenny showed Russell to one of the guest rooms and stayed as long a proper under the circumstances before reluctantly going to her own room which she found little changed from when she had left home.

25

Sydney Morning Herald

Friday, February 10

PARIS POST FOR KERR

AMBASSADOR TO UNESCO

Canberra- The former Australian Governor General Sir John Kerr has been appointed Australia's Ambassador to UNESCO in Paris.

GOVERNMENT DEFEATED - THEN WRAN CALLS ASIO FILES INQUIRY.

The Premier, Mr Wran was forced yesterday to establish a Judicial inquiry into the Coleman-ASIO document controversy after his Government had suffered its first defeat on the floor of the House of Assembly.

***

The morning started well enough. Jenny and her mother were busy making plans for the wedding. There was the engagement notice to put in the paper, and engagement party to organise, the wedding and reception to book. The subject of religion arose but Russell told them that he was prepared to fit in with any arrangements they made. A start was made on the guest list for the reception.

By the time all of the family were invited the reception was starting to take on the proportions of one of Cecil B De Mille's biblical epics and that was without the inclusion of Russell's family and friends which would add another forty people to the list.

At around ten o'clock the phone rang. Mr Petrelli answered and announced that it was for Russell. It was Burroughs. "How secure are you where you are?"

"Safe enough, why?"

"We had several visitors in the wee small hours of the morning. When we accosted them they seemed genuinely surprised to see us and not you. You haven't been making any enemies we don't know about have you?"

"Not that I'm aware of. You don't think that someone found out about the article before it was printed do you?"

"More than likely that is the answer. These chaps weren't amateurs either. They wouldn't tell us who they were working for even though we threatened them with all sorts of diabolic consequences if they didn't. Anyway they're safely under lock and key as we speak, but you'd better stay put for a while longer just in case someone starts making enquiries. Jerry's gone up to Jenny's place to check it out and I'll get back to you as soon as he reports in."

"I hope they didn't make too much mess before you caught them."

"Not too much. You wanted a new typewriter anyway, didn't you?"

"Not my antique Remington that has been in my family since I bought it from a second hand shop last year? There is a lot of sentimental attachment to that typewriter."

"They very same. Still, you'd better keep your eyes peeled in the case that they have located you. Stay put as much as possible and if you go out at all, unless it's absolutely necessary, don't take the Triumph. And make sure that it's parked where no-one can see it from the road."

Russell put the phone down, "What's the matter?" Jenny asked.

"It seems that someone paid a visit to my flat last night. They're locked up now but not before they made a mess of the place. They are not saying where they came from. Because of this we have to stay put here until further notice. They also want us to hide the Triumph and only use if when it is absolutely necessary."

The car was moved into one of the garages and the door locked. Russell, Jenny and her parents settled down to further discussions on the wedding plans.

It was just before lunch when Russell thought that maybe it was about time that he broke the news to his family. "Mum, it's me Russell."

"Russell, Russell who?"

"Alright smarty, so I haven't called you recently. It's your son Russell, and I've got some news for you."

"Should I be seated for this?"

"No."

"Don't tell me, let me guess now. I know, you're giving up your job with that horrible newspaper and are going to work for the Herald."

"No Mum, I'm not giving up my job for you or anyone, the least likely thing would be for me to prostitute my morals by going to work for that WASP rag. No Mum, I'm getting married."

"This is very sudden, when?"

"Soon."

"You haven't got some poor unfortunate girl in trouble have you?"

"No Mum, it's not one of those marriages."

"I presume then that you have found out her last name and you are on speaking terms with her seeing-eye dog."

"I love you too. Thanks for the vote on confidence. Her name is Jenny Peters and she is a model."

"I hope you don't mean one of those 'obvious' people who use the euphemism 'model' to hide their true vocation."

"No Mum." The exasperation was beginning to show in voice. "She is a fashion model and apart from the fact that she is very beautiful, she is also an extremely intelligent and wonderful person. I love her Mum, I love her,"

"I know silly, I am fully aware who Jenny Peters is, I am also aware of her obvious charms. I congratulate you on your triumph. When am I going to have the honour of meeting her and her parents?"

"How soon can you get here? I know that Jenny would like to meet you and I'm sure that you and her parents will get on very well."

"You've met them then?"

"Of course. Don't get offended but I'm ringing from her parents' place now. Yes I have spent the night here but we haven't done anything wrong, when you meet them you will realise that we just couldn't."

"Why should I get offended that you should tell her parents first. Sorry Darling, I didn't mean that. Tell me where I can find you and I will be there as soon as possible."

Russell gave her the address. He and Jenny went into the kitchen where the Petrellis were having a cup of coffee. "My mother would like to meet all of you so I have taken the liberty of inviting her over. I hope that you don't mind."

"No, no. We would like to meet her." Mr Petrelli said. "What about your father, will he be coming?"

"No he's at work and he won't stop for anything or anyone. But Mum will most probably be talking to him right now."

"Your father, what does he do?"

"Papa! That is not polite."

"It's alright Darling. My father is a doctor, and a very good surgeon. He has a practice in Macquarie Street."

Shortly before twelve a taxi pulled into the driveway and Russell's mother issued forth. Russell met her as she got out. "It's very. . . . Mediterranean isn't it?"

"Don't start. Her parents are Italian but that doesn't make any difference to me so it shouldn't make a difference to you. Now I want you to be on your best behaviour so don't start looking down your nose. They are nice, genuine people and my future in-Laws. You might not have to live with them but I will."

"You don't intend to live in this Medici Palace do you?"

"Give it a miss, please." Jenny and her parents came out to greet Russel's mother. "Jenny, Mr and Mrs Petrelli, I'd like you to meet my mother."

"I have a name, it's Theresa," She glared at Russel. "I'm so very pleased to meet you."

Jenny hugged her and Maria kissed her in the continental fashion while Mr Petrelli (call me Gino) shook her hand.

Russell had to admit that once she was inside the house and had been introduced to Jenny and her parents his mother's behaviour was above reproach and the meeting went off so smoothly that the two mothers decided that they would go off together to look for suitable stationery for the invitations.

Russell was a little worried that there would be an argument between them over the subject of invitations, knowing his mother's taste was probably a bit more 'sophisticated' than Jenny's mother's. He thought that it would be a good time to tell Jenny a little about his family. "Jen, I was a little dubious about my parents' reaction to the news, especially Mum. You have probably gathered that she is something of a snob. That's all a bit of a front that she puts on, but she is really nice once you get used to her ways. I suppose that's because the family are rich and have been for generations, but because it's 'old money' they don't have some of the pretensions that exist in the North Shore Nouveau Riche. After meeting your parents I knew that there wouldn't be a problem in that area because your parents don't bung on side. Mum appreciates that, even though she has been known to do it herself."