Corpulent Carl

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It is my understanding some of you blame Carl for Ted's suspension. He is not to blame. Ted's actions brought it on, and Carl had nothing to do with the punishment. Now, you may pass in your essays. Is there anyone who did not write the essay?" No one raised a hand. Everything was quiet as the papers were passed to the front.

"Now, as you can see, someone removed a caster from the piano, so I cannot roll it back to its proper place." He took a brick from the top of his desk. "If one of you thought this would get you out of practice today you are mistaken. Carl, you look big enough to do the job. Do you think you could move the piano over here, and we'll use this brick to hold up the corner of the piano?"

"I can give it a try." Standing to my feet I walked over to the piano and reached around it. Of course, all of the guys started laughing and jeering to think one guy could pick up a piano, and some of the girls were sitting there with their hands over their mouths afraid I would hurt myself. Bending my knees a little I lifted and leaned backwards, lifting the piano from the floor, and then I stood with it and shuffled sideways over to the brick. "Just tell me where you want it, Mr. Simon."

"Anyplace there is fine, Carl."

Carefully I lowered the piano to the floor, then I lifted one end so Mr. Simon could place the brick under the corner and set it down again.

"Thank you, Carl. Now, girls, Mrs. Little will work with you on fitting your formal gowns. Guy's let's get started with some of your groups." I felt eyes on me from all over the room, but for once they weren't mocking looks. Mr. Simon's left eye fluttered in half a wink before he turned back to the first group of guys to work on their song.

Again, I worked on homework during the class period, and had everything completed by the time class was over. Annie came up and sat next to me and worked on hers as well once she was fitted for her dress. "That piano thing; you two planned that yesterday, didn't you?"

I just gave her a little grin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the bell rang Annie and I walked to her locker, where I grabbed her bookbag and we headed out of the building and started home. I actually felt pretty good about thing for a change, at least until we crossed the street from the school, and thus off of the school grounds. Three of Teddy's friends were waiting for me on the other sidewalk, blocking my path. I braced myself for the onslaught I knew was coming, but I was not prepared when Josh threw a punch at my face. I managed to move just enough that he hit my cheek, rather than my nose, which was his target. Annie screamed at him and tried to get in the way, but Tim shoved her to the ground, tearing the knee out of her slacks.

"Get out of the way before you get hurt. This is between us and 'Lard-ass' here. You're going to get what you have coming to you, fat boy, for getting Teddy kicked out of school and out of the game Friday night!"

Now my mother brought me up on the old saw, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me." Whoever thought that one up never dealt with what I do! She never allowed me to hit back, or to defend myself, but this was the first time I'd ever really been physically assaulted. Frankly, I didn't know what to do, or even how to defend myself. I took several hard punches from the three of them before I was able finally to catch hold of Tim and Josh at the same time, and I smashed their heads together and dropped them to the ground. Dave dove at me, and I just reached out and grabbed him by the neck, reaching all the way around it, and I lifted him straight up from the ground before throwing him headlong into a tree.

I heard sirens wailing, and then the screech of brakes as a police car slid around the corner, and an officer jumped out with his hand on his tazer.

"Get on the ground, now!" he yelled at me, and I did so, face down with my hands out over my head. I've watched 'Cops', so I know the drill.

"This is all I need," I thought. "Now I'm going to get arrested for beating up these three punks! I didn't ask for this!"

The officer jumped on top of me and tried putting cuffs on my wrists, but they wouldn't reach. Another car screeched to a stop, and a second officer jumped out and hurried over. "Swanny, I need some ties. These cuffs won't reach around this kid."

The second officer retrieved some zip-ties from the trunk of his squad car and they quickly trussed my arms together before rolling me over and sitting me up. Annie was crying, saying, "He didn't do anything! They attacked him! Don't arrest Carl!"

Quite a crowd had gathered around us, and some muttering was going on, which had the officers worried about trouble. They quickly told everyone to get back and then stood me to my feet and led me over to the back of one of the cars.

"Anything in your pockets I need to know about? Any needles, weapons, or anything?"

"No, Sir." Quickly one of them patted me down before allowing me to rest my butt against the car.

"You want to tell me what happened?"

As I told him my story I saw the other officer checking on the three jerks that jumped me. All three were out cold! He called for a couple of ambulances, and then checked on Annie, who showed him the abrasion on her knee that was rapidly swelling from the bruising. She told him what had happened before sitting on the curb looking forlorn. I really didn't care what happened to me at that point. Seeing Annie hurting like that had me angry. I almost wished they would wake up so I could go after them again! What they did to me I was somewhat inured to, but for them to hurt Annie was beyond the pale.

Finally, after I had talked with the officer, and Annie had been questioned, old Mr. Harvey, the school security officer waddled across the street. Now, I'm big, but Mr. Harvey is fat. His belly hangs down over his belt and wobbles when he walks. How he ever became a security officer I don't know, because he certainly couldn't do anything other than call for help. I noticed he waited until everything was calm before making his presence known. Had he bothered to come over earlier the whole thing could have been avoided, but c'est la vie.

"Officer, this young man was just defending himself, and this young lady. He didn't start it, but he certainly did a nice job of finishing it. I'd suggest you release him. The whole incident is on tape over at the school on the security camera if you'd like to see what happened."

Two ambulances, and a fire truck had arrived on scene by this time, and the EMT's were checking out the three punks, who were still unconscious. Finally, one of them decided to check on Annie and me, and they got a cold pack on her knee after cleaning out the abrasion and bandaging it. My right eye was swelling shut by this time, and I was couldn't put weight on my left leg. My knee really was hurting. The EMT had me sit down on the ground before cutting my pants leg open so he could see the knee, which had a large dark contusion across the side, where Dave had hit me with a piece of pipe. I'd been so busy I hadn't even noticed the pipe! I also had another large welt across the back of my shoulders from it, and on my left bicep as well.

Another ambulance was called for, although I really didn't think I needed one, but after further thought, neither Annie nor I were exactly up to walking the three blocks home. I was really starting to hurt now that the adrenalin was wearing off. All three of the other guys were placed on back boards and loaded into the two ambulances and rushed off to the hospital to be checked out. One of the officers followed along to process paperwork on them. Dave would be arrested for aggravated assault and battery with a deadly weapon because of using the pipe. The others used only their fists and feet, so they would be charged with aggravated assault and battery. I tried to keep from having them arrested, but the officer said he had to do it.

Mom hurried over to the Emergency Room, arriving there about the same time Annie and I did, and Annie's mom got there a few minutes later. I tried to get them to keep us together, but they wouldn't since we aren't family. One of the EMT's who took the others in saw Mom in the hallway as she was going into my room.

"Hey, Betty. Is that your son?"

"Yes, why?"

"You should see what he did to the other three guys! Man, I've never seen anything like it! Tell him I said, 'Good job!'"

That was the last thing I was going to hear my mother say about me fighting! I'm glad I heard him say it himself, 'cause I knew what I was in for from her. Mom doesn't believe in fighting.

Of course, she wasn't able to officially do anything for me in there because she isn't an ER doctor, and I'm family, but she was there observing when the doctor checked me over. He insisted on doing x-rays and an MRI on my knee, which I also didn't think I needed, but what do I know?

Swanny, the second officer on the scene, was waiting for me in my room when I got back from the MRI, with paperwork for me to sign. "You did a job on those three, Carl. The two you smashed together both have fractures by the temples, and bad concussions. They are going to be in here for a while! The other one? The one that hit you with the pipe? You nearly crushed his windpipe when you grabbed his throat! He's also got a concussion from hitting the tree, plus rather bad whiplash." He held up his hand as both I and Mom started to say something. "Easy there! I'm not being critical at all! I'd say job well done, and I don't know anyone who deserves it more. All three of them have records.

I had the time to take a look at the tape from the school, and I have a copy of it to file with the paperwork. You have no charges against you at all. I am just glad you didn't squeeze any harder on that one kid, though. It wouldn't have been pretty if you had killed him, even though it was self-defense.

Mom blanched and almost passed out!

"I'm sorry, Officer. I didn't mean to hurt them. I've never been in a fight before, and I kind of got mad when they hurt Annie."

Officer Swanson, I learned his real name from the paperwork, looked over at Mom. "Ma'am, you should be proud of your son. When one of the punks threw her to the ground he stood over the top of her protecting her instead of defending himself. That's why he took the beating he did." He turned back to me. "You'll be hearing from us concerning court dates and things. I'm sure the DA will be calling on you for a statement. If there is anything we can do for you give me a call." He handed me his business card after writing his cell phone number on it. "You can reach me directly at that number. I would appreciate it if you would not give that number out." I nodded, and he shook my hand and left.

A nurse came in just a few minutes later with a leg brace for my knee and a script for some pain meds, which she gave to my Mom. "I know you're familiar with this stuff, Betty, so I won't bother going through the spiel." Mom nodded and in just a few minutes we were free to go. I wouldn't go home though until I had a chance to check on Annie. We found her in the waiting room with tears in her eyes waiting for us. She jumped up, stiff-legged and threw herself at me in a hug. As long as I knew she was OK I could deal with the rest of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Mom pulled our car into the driveway I had another surprise waiting for me. Teddy was sitting on the front step.

"Uh Oh. This could get ugly," I said to Mom. "That's the guy that started all of this."

"Don't get out of the car, Carl. I'm calling the police."

Mom quickly pulled her cell phone out of her purse and started to dial 911, but I stopped her. "Let me see what's up first. I don't think he's here to start something."

Mom held the phone in her hand, ready to call as I opened the door and slowly eased my way out. Getting out with a stiff leg was difficult, let me tell you! It's hard enough for me to get in and out of the car as it is normally, but with the stiff leg it was nearly impossible!

Teddy walked over to the car slowly, head hanging. "Carl, can I talk with you for a minute? Look, I'm not here to cause trouble. I owe you an apology."

Surprised, I nodded. "Sure. Want to go in the house? Mom, this is Ted Dawson."

Ted nodded at her. "Hi, Mrs. Hudson. I won't be long, and I'm not here to cause trouble, honestly." He bowed his head again and nearly whispered, "I think I've already done enough of that."

I led the way up to the house, and Ted followed me in. "I need a Coke. Want one?"

"Sure, thanks."

I grabbed us a couple of Cokes and we sat down in the living room. "Look, Carl, I know I've been a royal pain in your ass for a long time, and I want you to know I'm really sorry. When I got home from school and Mom found out I've been suspended, and for what she really laid into me." He hanged his head for a minute. "She said basically the same thing Mr. Collins did, asking me if it would have been OK for you or anyone else to belittle me about my race, and she made me look at myself. To be honest, I didn't like what I saw. I guess I was just pushing off on you what I thought people did to me, but you have never been one who did that. I was a fool." Ted actually had tears in his eyes. "I realized I was no better than the worst racist out there, and I promise it will never happen again."

I struggled to my feet and stuck out a hand to him, and when he took it we both pulled the other to ourselves and the handshake turned in to a man-hug.

"Jermaine Jenson called me after school and told me you moved the piano all by yourself, that you picked it up and carried it. Was he pulling my leg?"

I just shook my head.

"I can't believe it! I also heard 'bout those three punks that jumped you after school. I'm really sorry, man! I didn't know anything about that! I wouldn't have let them do something like that if I'd have known it."

"I know. That's never been your style."

"I heard they got hurt pretty bad, and are being arrested?"

It was my turn to hang my head now. "I didn't mean to hurt them that way, but when that one guy hurt Annie I kind of lost it. I really feel badly about it."

Ted looked at me like I was crazy. "They attacked you! You didn't start it! As far as I'm concerned, they got everything they deserved!"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm not a fighter. I'd never been in a fight like that before."

"All I can say is I'm glad you never threw a punch at me! If I had been given all I gave you I'd have swung at you a long time ago. You'd have killed me! Anyway, I called Mr. Simon and asked if I can apologize to the class. I'm going to do that on Monday when I go back. He said he won't let me back in the class until then, that even though I'm willing to apologize actions have consequences." He shrugged. "Anyway, Jermaine, James and I wanted to know if you'd like to join our group for the concert? You'd be welcome to."

"Thanks. I really appreciate the offer, but Annie and I have a duet we are going to do. Maybe another time, if we ever do something like this again?"

Ted stood and said, "Cool. We thought we could call ourselves the 'Oreos', but with you in the middle it would be 'Double-Stuffed'." Ted gave me a big grin, and for the first time the joke was just that, a joke, and it was funny. "By the way, I think you have a good voice. I know you don't like to draw attention to yourself, but you should. If I hadn't been such an ass I'd have told you so sooner." He walked to the door. "I've gotta get going. See ya round, K?" He waved as he went out the door, and I realized I had just made a friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Annie called me just as soon as she saw Ted leave the house. "What did that creep want, Carl?"

"Actually, Ted came over to apologize, and we had a good talk. He didn't have anything to do with those three today, and he wanted me to know it. He's going to apologize to the class on Monday, and he even offered to let me sing with him, Jermaine, and James, but I told him we're doing a duet."

"I was afraid he was trying to stir things up more. I would have come over, but Mom wouldn't let me."

"Thanks. That was sweet of you, but we're good. Mr. Simon won't let him back in the class until Monday. He said even though he wants to apologize and make it right that actions have consequences."

"Good! Well, I've got to go. Mom is making me keep my knee elevated, and I have to get some ice on it again. Walk to school together tomorrow?"

"I don't think I'm going. I don't think I can walk it, and Mom wants me to keep my leg elevated, too. She's afraid of a blood clot or something. We'll talk tomorrow, OK?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teddy made his apology to the class as he said he would do on that first day back, and he went beyond just an apology, telling us what his mother had said to him, which reiterated what Mr. Simon had asked about the racial slur concept. "I had to take a good look at myself, and what I was feeling, and to be honest, I didn't like what I saw when I did so. Carl never denigrated my race, nor ever looked down on me because he's white and I'm black. He never cared, but because I've had others look down on me I put all of that on him because he's white and attacked him for his size. I'm the one with the problem, not Carl, and once I was able to see myself in that way I recognized I needed to quit feeling sorry for myself and prove to others just who and what I am. I can't help being black any more than Carl can help being big. There is nothing wrong with either one, and I can't let others attitudes toward me change what I think about me."

"I took the time to read, and then to listen to Dr. Martin Luther King's I Have A Dream speech over again, and I finally understood what he was talking about! He was not talking about waiting for others to change their attitudes toward me, but was talking about me changing my attitude toward myself! From this day forward I am going to work to change others attitudes toward me by proving myself to be worthy of that change in attitude. From this day forward I will not put on a person the attitudes of others and lump them together in a class or group, but will treat each person as an individual of worth and value, just as I want to be treated for my worth and value."

"I invited Carl to join Jermaine, James, and me in our group for the concert, and told him we would put him in the middle and call ourselves the 'Oreos', but with him in the middle it would have to be," he paused a moment and grinned at me, "it would have to be the 'Double-Stuffed Oreos'."

For a moment there was stunned silence in the class before somebody snickered, and then the whole class realizing this was a for real joke, and not mockery broke up laughing, and I having heard the joke before laughed along with them.

"He turned me down though. I guess he'd rather sing with Annie. By the way," Ted said once the laughing died down. "Just wait until you hear this guy sing. He always sings quietly, afraid someone will make fun of his voice, too. Had I not been such an ass I would have said something to him about his voice sooner." Ted turned to Mr. Simon. "Thank you, Sir, for finally saying something. I'm in your debt," and he sat down after walking over and shaking my hand.

I'm not saying that ended all of the mockery. It didn't, but it did go a long way toward healing some real wounds for me.

Mr. Simon worked pretty closely with Annie and me in the next two months getting ready for the concert. At first some of the others in the class wanted to know why we didn't sing in there, but Mr. Simon simply said it was his choice, that he didn't feel we needed the attention of the class on us as we prepared, that he was monitoring our progress, and was confident we would be ready.