Courting Miss Greene Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After a while, she inevitably drifted off to sleep. Abby willed herself awake when the man released her and moved away. "Will you come back tomorrow?" she asked, knowing she needed to phrase the question more specifically than she had done before.

The man paused for a moment. "Yes, my love," he answered, this time without conditions.

Abby's mystery man kept his word. He returned the following night, and the nights that followed after. Each night, Abby would ask him that same question before he left and he would give her the same answer. It made her dread the upcoming dance. She did not want this little affair to end, but she could not stop time.

~*~

On the day of the dance, Uncle Albert's birthday was celebrated at Alder Hill. Ethan introduced Ginny to all the family members who came over to join in the festivities. Uncle Albert had wanted to announce Robert's engagement to Lizzy, but the couple requested to keep it a secret for the time being to avoid becoming the dominant subject of conversation. Furthermore, if the news would spread, it might reach Windfarn before they would and they did not want the Greenes to hear it from someone else.

The young ladies spent much of the afternoon getting dressed for the evening. Ethan's mother arranged for a coiffeur and a visagiste to come over and help them get primped and polished. Ethan was not too happy to see his wife with such a thick layer of powder on her face her freckles were barely visible anymore. When he pointed this out, the visagiste replied freckles were not in fashion. Ethan almost wanted to punch the man, but Ginny prevented him by telling him she would have worn molten wax on her face if that had been the fashion since it was only for one night and Ethan had to leave it at that.

Since Thomas did not return to Alder Hill before they left for the dance hall, Uncle Albert offered to accompany Abby to the dance. Abby almost remarked she would have refused Thomas anyway, but she bit her tongue and happily accepted the old man's offer. His cheerful presence lifted Abby's spirits and she was determined to let nothing spoil her fun this evening. Uncle Albert was sure to introduce her to all the eligible young man who came to the dance, but none of them struck her fancy. During the first dance she slightly leaned towards perhaps two or three of them, but she did not really care whether anyone was interested in her. While she spun around the dance floor, Abby could not help but wonder whether she would recognize her mystery lover if he were there.

Lizzy declined to join in the first dance. Even though she had rehearsed it often enough by now, she would not risk tumbling into another man's arms and cause a misunderstanding. The only way out of such a situation would be to reveal her engagement to Robert after all. However, observing the finely dressed guests with their equally fine manners and speech, Lizzy realized she was not ready to present herself as the future wife of Albert Clark's eldest son. She was only a silly small town girl and not even a particularly pretty one at that. She may have looked passable enough this evening, but it was all thanks to Ethan's mother who must have known all too well the Greene sisters would need her help in order not to embarrass themselves tonight. Lizzy was grateful for that, but there were so many pretty ladies around she wondered what exactly Robert saw in her. She almost asked him when all of a sudden an elegant lady approached them.

"Rooobert, daaarling!"

The lady greeted Robert by kissing him on both of his cheeks. He was unhappy about that, but he could not be rude at his father's party so he was forced to kiss her back. "Minerva! How have you been?" he inquired, wondering on whose invitation she had come this evening or whether perhaps she had invited herself.

"Lonely, of course! Why don't you ever come to see me anymore?" she asked in return.

"Oh? Didn't you get my letter?" Robert could not help but cast a glance at Lizzy.

"I burned it," she answered. "Such matters should be dealt with face-to-face."

Robert blinked at her, hoping she did not intend to discuss the issue right now. While he struggled to think of something to say, Minerva glanced down at the girl standing next to him and gave her a little smile. It was almost a sneer. The woman clearly suspected something. Robert cleared his throat and gave Minerva a little bow. "Lady Crawford, may I introduce Miss Elizabeth Greene from Windfarn, my cousin's sister-in-law?" He bowed to Lizzy. "Miss Greene, Lady Minerva Crawford would like to make your acquaintance."

"H-How do you do, milady?" asked Lizzy, trembling while she curtsied. The girl felt intimidated by the woman who was prettier, taller, wealthier and much more mature than she was. Lizzy did not want to speculate on what kind of relationship the lady had with Robert.

"How do you do, darling?" answered Minerva, barely able to conceal her contempt at finding such a plain peasant girl at Robert Clark's side. The news of Ethan Clark's marriage had not escaped her. She would have pursued Ethan herself since he was quite attractive, but he was nowhere near as wealthy as Robert. Of course there was also the young, disreputable Thomas Clark... wherever he might be. However, Minerva was not that desperate yet.

Robert did not intend to leave Lizzy in Minerva's company, but other guests were soon vying for his attention and he was forced to excuse himself from the two ladies. Lizzy's heart pounded when she realized the lady was giving her a critical inspection from the corner of her eye.

"So, darling, how do you like Northfair?" inquired Minerva when she finally spoke to the girl.

"Oh, I've had a great time here," answered Lizzy, "but I'm sure I haven't seen half of it yet."

"I presume you've been staying at Alder Hill?" the lady continued.

"I have, and in a separate room from my sister as well!" Lizzy blurted out, thinking about when they had first arrived. At least she did not mention having slept in Robert's bed for the past few nights, but she was a bit embarrassed to admit she did not have her own room at home.

Lady Crawford seemed amused. "Your other sister would be the one in the purple dress?"

"Yes, that's Abby!" confirmed Lizzy.

"I thought so. You all look a bit alike: the short stature, the tawny hair and the dull eyes," remarked Minerva.

Lizzy's heart sank. She may not be as smart as Abby, but she recognized an insult when she heard one. She tried to keep a straight face, but it had been an open attack... to all three sisters at once! Lizzy did not want to insult Lady Crawford in return. Her parents had taught her better than that, and there was nothing she could have said about the lady's looks: she was quite striking with her chestnut hair and cobalt eyes... Think, Lizzy! Think!

Minerva smiled to herself. The girl's defenses were easily shattered. Robert had been careless not to prepare his young guest for the niceties of socializing. Most men were clueless about such things, and perhaps just as well. Minerva's beauty had always been her greatest asset, but she had to be resourceful now she was getting a year older. She had been getting a year older from quite some time already and she had to admit to herself it unnerved her to see her lover with such a dainty, little thing in a pink dress. Still, the girl did not seem as upset as Minerva had hoped. Perhaps she had overlooked something.

"Why aren't you dancing, darling?" she asked. "It looks like... Abby... is getting all the young men's attention."

Lizzy knew she had to choose her words with care. She could not afford to underestimate her opponent. Instead, she preferred to talk herself down so she would not leave any openings for further criticism. "I'm afraid I have two left feet," she answered.

"Oh? You didn't rehearse?"

"I did. That's how I found out."

"Who did you rehearse with then?"

"Robert," answered Lizzy in a soft voice, "and Thomas. Mostly Thomas," she added.

Lady Crawford cocked an eyebrow. "And what did you think of young Thomas Clark? He's quite handsome, isn't he?"

Lizzy smiled. "Yes, he is. He's also really funny and a wonderful dancer," she answered, "but I'm afraid he's no gentleman like Robert."

"Ah! Most men aren't like Robert though, or are they? In Windfarn?"

"No, all the men in Windfarn treat me like a little kid," Lizzy blurted out.

"Oh? Robert doesn't treat you like a child?" the lady asked, sounding a bit too sweet.

Lizzy could not believe it. She had been on guard and yet she had said too much again. She did not dare to look Lady Crawford in the eyes so she focused on the cherry lips instead. She already felt the woman's stare pierce through her shield. It had been a simple question. Lizzy would give the lady a simple answer. "Robert is a fine host to all of his guests," she said in a calm voice, avoiding any further implications.

It infuriated Minerva. The little minx was hiding something! She had only suspected it before, but now she knew for sure! Minerva could not help but feel jealous. If Robert had chosen the girl because of her youth, Minerva would have no hope of winning him back. She needed to find a way to get rid of little Miss Greene. Her eye fell on one of Robert's friends who was standing nearby. "Mr. Harris!" she called out.

He turned around to face her. "Lady Crawford, how are you this evening?" he answered with a little bow.

"I'm fine, thank you," she replied. "Have you met Miss Greene? She's one of Ethan Clark's sisters-in-law." She glanced at Lizzy. "Please meet Mr. Harris, a friend of Robert's."

Mr. Harris gave Lizzy a courteous bow. "Miss Greene, will you do me the honor of dancing with me?"

"With pleasure, sir," answered Lizzy. She suspected what Lady Crawford had in mind with this little arrangement. Mr. Harris was an attractive man and he acted friendly enough, but her heart burned for Robert. Lizzy realized now, more than ever, she could not feel the same way toward another man.

"Where's Lizzy? I mean, Miss Greene?" asked Robert upon his return.

"Miss Greene is dancing with Mr. Harris," said Minerva. She cast a glance at the dance floor. "Oh, it looks like he has introduced her to young Mr. Barry. How considerate of him to find her a man closer to her own age!"

Robert cringed when he spotted his fiancée with a nice, young man. He took a deep breath, telling himself it was good for Lizzy to have fun tonight.

"You seem displeased," observed Minerva. "Surely, you know well enough it is considered rude not to mingle with other people, especially when you're married or... engaged."

"Lizzy told you?" asked Robert in shock.

Minerva smiled to herself in victory. "Of course she did! What woman wouldn't boast about ensnaring the likes of Robert Clark, the most eligible bachelor in Northfair?"

Robert's heart missed a beat, but only one. Minerva's words did not contain any hint of something Lizzy would have said. The woman must be flat out lying to him! His heart pounded. He wondered what other lies she had told him. Perhaps everything had been a lie. He would probably never find out, but it did not matter to him. He was with Lizzy now, an honest girl who loved him passionately. Robert smiled and his heart soared while he watched the young lady in the pink dress enjoying herself on the dance floor. Minerva had posed it as a rhetorical question, but Robert knew the answer.

It was Lizzy.

~*~

Abby lost track of all the men she danced with. She had been absent-minded all evening, but this dance had been the main reason for coming to Northfair and Abby did her best to enjoy herself. However, she could not deny her mind was troubled and so was her heart. She excused herself from her company and strolled outside to catch some fresh air on the patio.

"Tired already, my love?"

Abby looked around and gasped. A man dressed in black appeared from the shadows. Her heart pounded. It was him! For some reason she could accept his presence in her bedroom, but meeting him in public was a different matter. He could expose their secret, her secret. Abby was not ready to deal with that.

She backed away when he came near, noting he wore a rapier on his belt. She did not think he would hurt her, but perhaps he was some thief or other type of criminal after all.

"What's wrong, love?" he asked.

"What are you doing here?" she replied with a frown.

"I thought we might dance," the man answered. He extended his hand to her. "Will you do me the honor?"

Neither of them spoke while they danced. For some reason it seemed familiar to Abby. He was a good dancer, but she noticed he was more physical with her than the steps required. She smiled to herself. He was her lover after all so it should not matter. Besides, nobody was there to see it.

Abby ignored the mask and gazed into his eyes. She had not seen him before with this much light. She noticed his eyes were gray, very much like Robert's and Uncle Albert's and...

No.

Abby stopped her train of thought. She should enjoy the time she had with him, whoever he was.

"You there!"

Robert approached the startled dancers. "I'm afraid you're at the wrong dance, my friend," he told the stranger. "This isn't a masked ball."

"Robert, it's alright," said Abby, a bit alarmed to see him armed as well.

"Who is he then?" asked Robert.

"Erm, I don't know," answered Abby, "but he won't do any harm. I'm sure of that."

"I can't allow a stranger to stay at my father's party," replied Robert. "Reveal your identity at once, my friend!"

"I don't seek any trouble," the stranger answered in a low voice. "My business is with the lady."

"Then either loose the mask or the sword," insisted Robert. "I cannot allow you to keep both."

"I do apologize, but you might as well ask me for an arm or a leg," the man answered.

"Hmpf, rubbish!" scoffed Robert. "Give it up, already. Don't force my hand," he warned, raising his rapier.

"Don't underestimate me, friend," the stranger warned in return, drawing his own rapier.

Lizzy arrived at the scene with Ethan and Ginny. "Robert, no!" she cried.

"Robert!" Ethan rushed to his cousin's side. "Aren't you a bit rusty from all that paperwork? Let me handle this for you," he offered.

"Stand back, Ethan!" replied Robert. "You're strong with your fist, but I've had more training in fencing."

"Don't do it, Robert," insisted Ethan. "We have no idea of his skill."

"Well, I gladly would have given Thomas the chance to show off. He trains nearly every week," sighed Robert, "but since he's not here, I'll just have to do. Please take care of things should I fail."

"Please, don't hurt Robert!" Abby begged the stranger. "We could leave the dance. There won't be any reason to fight."

"Ah! You're afraid I'll hurt your friend," he remarked.

"Yes, I am. You look like you know how to handle that thing," answered Abby, glancing at the weapon, "and you've been pretty good at everything else you've done so far."

"Indeed," the stranger agreed in a confident tone. "Fencing is much like dancing, just as dancing is much like making love."

Abby's mouth fell open. His words sounded like something she could have said, but she would not have said that last part out loud and betray their secret. Abby blushed a furious red while everybody stared at her. Now they all knew.

"It's your dream lover!" cried Lizzy in disbelief. "You magicked him up!" she added, almost as an accusation.

Robert gasped. He remembered Abby mentioning something like that in the bath. For a moment he entertained the idea such a thing could exist. He shook his head. No, it was impossible! "Don't be fooled, ladies!" he said. "Only a villain would show up at a private party masked and armed."

"What do you believe, Abby?" the man asked. "Am I a villain?"

"I don't think so," answered Abby. "At first I thought you might have been a thief or even just a dream, but you don't seem to be either of those."

"Would you call me a gentleman, my love?" he continued.

"A gentleman?" she echoed in confusion. She recalled he had always been courteous toward her and, in spite of the intimacy, he had not taken advantage of the situation and left her a virgin still. "I think so, yes," answered Abby.

For the first time the man's face broke into a smile.

A wide smile.

Abby's eyes widened in horror. No! It could not be... She gasped in shock and covered her mouth. Her knees gave way, causing her to sink to the floor. Her heart pounded while she stared at her mystery lover, recognizing the last person she wanted to see. "No...!" she cried. "Oh, no!" Abby covered her face with her hands, in denial of what she had just discovered.

Ginny and Lizzy rushed to comfort their sister, unsure of what was going on. Robert and Ethan stared at the man who was no longer a stranger.

"What's all this?" asked Robert.

His brother ignored him. "Abby, look at me," he said in his normal voice.

Abby watched in dismay while he took off his hat and mask. Ginny and Lizzy gasped when they recognized him.

"Don't you still want me now, love?" asked Thomas.

"Oh, Thomas!" cried Abby. "You've played me for a fool!"

"No, love. I'm serious," said Thomas. "More serious than I've ever been about anything in my life."

"Oooh, the shame!" wailed Abby. "You've shamed me in front of everyone!"

Thomas frowned. "There's no shame in love," he said, "and I really didn't do anything you didn't want me to."

Abby's scream was a mixture of rage and agony. She tore away from her sisters and hurled herself at Thomas. He expected her to pummel him with her fists again, but she dove for his rapier instead. Thomas stood still. He deserved to be stabbed. He deserved to die if she really hated him after those nights they shared together. Trembling on her legs, Abby held up the hilt with both of her hands and pointed the blade at the man who had so elaborately deceived her.

Thomas ignored the tip of the blade wavering in front of his face. He gazed into Abby's eyes instead and yanked open his shirt to expose the smooth skin of his chest. "My heart is yours, Abby," he said. "Do with it as you will."

Abby frowned at the too familiar sight of his bare musculature. Her heart pounded and she tried very hard not to blush. She averted her eyes and met those of Robert, who was standing behind Thomas. She sighed and lowered the sword. "Don't worry, Robert," she said. "For the sake of our friendship, I won't kill your little brother in front of you."

"Thank you, Abby," replied Robert. "He's the only one I've got, even if he's a mighty rascal."

"I assume you'll still want to punish me," said Thomas.

"Oh? Did you bring me a bucket?" asked Abby.

"Well, I took off the bandage yesterday," he answered. "Perhaps you could hit me where it doesn't show, otherwise I'd have to explain the situation to the old folks."

Abby's eyebrows twitched while she frowned at him.

"I do have a riding crop you could spank me with, if you like," he continued.

Abby clenched her fists. "I'm not into that!" she cried.

Thomas looked disappointed. "How would you know if you never try?"

Abby let out a deep sigh and handed the rapier to Robert. "I can't deal with this right now. He's your brother. Please talk some sense into him." She turned around and cast one glance over her shoulder before she left. Her voice did not even sound bitter when she spoke.

"Congratulations, Thomas. You won the challenge."

~*~

Robert let out a deep sigh while he gave Thomas a stern look. He had some dark inkling of what must have transpired between Abby and his little brother, but he could only speculate on the details. "Would you care to explain yourself, Thomas?" he asked.

Thomas cleared his throat and looked around the patio for a moment, making sure nobody was there aside from his brother, his cousin and Abby's sisters. The two girls had tried talking to Abby, but she only wanted to continue dancing so they had returned to hear what Thomas had to say. "There's no explanation," he replied. "I snuck into her bedroom, drugged her and seduced her."