Dahlia and Darren

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The next morning, at the insistence of a nurse, he went to the cafeteria for breakfast. He ate a little, just enough to take the hunger edge off. He answered a few phone calls from her friends and family. He also spoke to the homeowner's insurance representatives. They ironed out the details of the fire, Darren's stay during the repair work, and paperwork that needed to be signed.

Leanna, her dad and stepmom, came to visit that evening. They were polite as usual, leaving flowers and a card. Leanna gave Darren a long embrace as she left. After they left he was alone again with his mother. The evenings were the worst.

"Hey come here," Dahlia ordered her son a few years ago.

"Yes?"

Dahlia went to Darren's pant pocket, attempting to place something in there. "Hey what are you doing?" He asked, thinking she was trying to tickle him.

"Be still," she completed her task and then spoke to her son. "Listen, be careful with her," Dahlia said, referring to Leanna.

"She seems nice, but sometimes you can never know about people. They may have ulterior motives, and they may betray trust. I can tell she likes you, I've seen the way she looks at you. I know from her dad that he and his new wife don't always get along with her. I'm just saying, be friendly and have fun, but don't get involved too deeply. She's younger than you too. I would hate for you to have to deal with her drama - if there is any." Dahlia explained.

"I know, she's nice, but I don't see her and I being more than friends."

"Good," Dahlia said with a slight smile. She gave Darren a brief hug and kiss on the cheek before walking away.

"By the way," She called out to him as she walked down the hallway, "you can have 'fun' with her here. I'd prefer you not sneak over to her house. What if her dad caught you?"

"Huh? Oh right," Darren blushed. He reached into his pocket to see what his mother had placed there. He blushed deeper as he looked at the condom.

Darren sighed again, shaking his head in disgust, he was so angry at himself for going over to Leanna's that night and not thinking to lock the door. The neighborhood was safe and he knew his mother would be home a little later.

"Mmm you have such a nice cock," Leanna said as she licked the shaft from the base to the tip. She was naked with Darren on his bed. He was smiling, flat on his back, looking to the ceiling as his cute, freckle-faced, red-headed neighbor did what she does best.

"Thank you, glad you're enjoying it."

"Hey Darren, I need you to - Oh crap! I'm sorry I should've knocked!" Dahlia proclaimed, entering and then quickly exiting Darren's room. Leanna gasped and fell off the bed, hidden from the view from the door, while Darren quickly attempted to cover himself with a pillow.

"Mom!"

"It's ok! I didn't see anything, I mean I did, but it was brief," his mother said on the other side of the closed door.

"When you and Leanna are done, can you go the store real quick?"

"Sure mom, yes, no problem, thank you!"

"Thanks Darren. You two can, uh, resume your fun!"

Leanna peeped over the edge of the mattress. "It's ok! She's cool with everything, get back up here," Darren said.

Darren smiled for the first time in several days, recalling that memory. His friend from high school was right; he did have a cool mom. His smile quickly faded and he resumed massaging his mother's hand.

Chapter 5

The next day, Darren rummaged through some debris where the living room was. Most of the fire damage was there, but also to his bedroom too. The wall where his closet and drawers are was left alone, but his bed, desk, and anything along the other three walls of the room were badly damaged. He smirked, "At least I have plenty of clothes to wear."

After grabbing a few more clothes to change into he walked down to his mother's bedroom, it was left undamaged. He inspected the kitchen and bathrooms; they all seemed to be just fine. He walked back to the living room and looked through a huge pile of ash and charred wood. A lot of books and family photo albums were burnt. Judging by the looks of things, he suspected the shelves were emptied and these items were piled up and set ablaze - as kindling.

After his meeting with the insurance representative at the house he headed to the hotel room they had set up for him. On his way there, he got a call from a detective stating that they brought Victor in for questioning and that his alibi didn't check out. The detective also noted the black ski mask found on the scene has hairs they will be using to verify it belongs to Victor. This, along with the blood found under his mother's fingernails and the gashes on Victor's face, made the detective fairly confident this would be a quick process once all the lab results are in.

At the hotel, Darren shaved and showered for the first time in several days. Looking at his reflection in the bathroom mirror, he face looked exhausted and gaunt. He figured he would try to eat a little more that evening.

"Damn, you look like the guy that knocked me up when I was a teen," Dahlia told her 17 year old son that last day of summer break before his senior year began. They were sitting on the couch, sharing a cup of fat free yogurt.

"Is that a good thing?" Darren asked.

"Yeah, I'd say so. You actually look like a better version of him. Maybe some of my genes were thrown into the mix. You have the same big, blue eyes as him. Your nose isn't as big as his was. You have the same skin complexion as his - not pale, fair skin like mine. Plus you have the same hair type - it's just not as thick as mine." His mother replied, licking her spoon clean. "So I'd say you're quite the looker."

"Heh, maybe so mom. Thanks."

"Just promise me you'll keep on being a nice guy and not turn into a douchebag. It's really annoying talking to an attractive person only to discover they are a total jerk and full of themselves."

"I don't think I'll ever be like that. I mean, I hope not."

"Nah, I suppose you won't. You're a good guy."

Darren shook the memory from his head, staring back at himself. He didn't feel like a good guy he felt like this was his fault, like he had failed his mother. He put on some clean clothes and headed back to her side. He arrived to see there had been no change in her condition and he wasn't expecting there to be. He fell asleep with her hand in his again.

The next morning Darren watched the nurse check her vitals and the bandages. She told him that things were looking better. She also checked her knee and indicated the swelling had gone down; it was still severely bruised though.

Later that day, his mother's friend, Sandee came to visit again. She had been once before to check in on things, but her work schedule prohibited her from getting to the hospital too often. Darren was returning from the cafeteria and stopped in the doorway to see Sandee kissing his mother's fore head, she caressed her face, and whispered something into her ear. She stood and was slightly startled by Darren standing at the door.

"Oh hi, Darren," She smiled awkwardly. "Just came by to say hello before heading to work."

"Oh ok. Great." Darren smiled back, setting his coffee on the table.

"Listen Darren, I heard through some friends that Victor was arrested. If I had known he was a psycho I would've never introduced the two of them."

"No, no it's fine. You didn't know or think he'd be like that." Darren turned to face his mother, "I've done things that I never would've done had I know the outcomes."

"We all do. But everything happens for a reason, Darren." Sandee placed her hand on his shoulder and stepped up to kiss his cheek, "Everything will work out like it's supposed to."

"I got a new job, so since my schedule is better, I plan on coming by more often," Sandee explained.

"Great," He replied, attempting another weak smile. "Do you like it?"

"Well it's a job where I get to keep my clothes on, so that's always a plus!"

"Yeah I can imagine it would be," Darren smiled again, and then glanced to his mother as he sat in the chair next to her bed.

"Are you here all the time?" Sandee asked.

"Pretty much. I only go to the hotel room to change clothes, shower, take a quick nap, things like that."

"What about food? You eat in the cafeteria?"

"Yep."

"Listen," Sandee said, moving next to Darren, placing her hand on his shoulder again, "if you ever want to go to dinner one night, just let me know."

"Oh ok, yeah the cafeteria is decent food. It doesn't suck that bad."

Sandee chuckled, "I didn't mean the cafeteria. I meant a restaurant somewhere. It'd be my treat."

"Oh. I don't know. I really need to stay with her as much as possible."

"Well if you change your mind, just let me know. Also," Sandee started moving toward the door, "let me know if you need help with anything. I can make phone calls for you or her, I can contact relatives, organize paperwork, whatever you need."

"Wow, yeah I may need some help with getting the bills lined up and taken care of. Mom's work is being amazing toward everything so that's a huge help too."

"Great, let me know what I can do and I'll see you later."

Darren waved goodbye, watching Sandee walk down the hallway. He was taken by the words of wisdom and kindness from a stripper, or a person who recently became a former one, but nonetheless, took them to heart.

The next few days Sandee helped out immensely. The 35 year old former stripper broke all stereotypes Darren had. She was intelligent and resourceful. She helped Darren get all utility bills and other accounts payable in order. She even helped him with taxes. They sat at the small table in Darren's hotel room while she instructed him on property taxes in the event his mother would be in a coma for several more months. Sandee also helped clean the damaged house before renovators came to do their work.

One night when Darren was chatting with Dr. Decker about his mother's improvements, his cell phone rang. Since Sandee happened to be there, she answered and fielded a call from an Aunt who Darren didn't feel like talking to. She told her of Dahlia's progress and how the latest MRI showed healing in the injured areas of her brain. When the doctor left, Sandee was sitting there smiling at him as she talked to Dahlia's sister on the phone. Darren sat back down in his usual spot, grabbing his mother's hand. Sandee's conversation ended and she stood at the foot of the bed, lightly massaging Dahlia's foot.

"Thanks, I'm just really tired and didn't feel like having to talk to anyone on the phone." Darren said.

"It's no big deal; I'm here to help remember?" Sandee said, moving over to Darren, rubbing his shoulder.

"Are you ever going to let me take you to dinner?" She asked.

"Sandee, I don't know, I really don't want to leave her side."

Sandee crouched in front of Darren, placing her hands on his knee. "What would she want you to do?"

Darren thought for a moment, "I guess she'd want me to hang out with people and enjoy life. It's just that, I can't leave her again."

"I know you can't. But this is just dinner with a friend," Sandee explained in a sweet tone. "She is safe here, she is being watched over, and her injuries are healing. Please, think about it?"

Darren's looked toward his sleeping mother again. She looked peaceful. "I just - "

"I know they will contact you the second she shows any sort of movement or if there's any change."

"Yeah they will." He glanced back over to Sandee's friendly face and warm smile.

"I think it'd be good for you to get away for just a little bit and have some nice food and conversation."

Darren couldn't help but agree. "I guess we could go somewhere Saturday night."

"Wonderful!" Sandee said, smiling and standing. She went over to her comatose friend and kissed her forehead, then bent down to kiss Darren's and left.

A few days later, Darren told his mother he'd return to her side very soon. He went to the hotel room and changed into nice clothes, just as Sandee instructed. He wore black dress pants, a dark green dress shirt, and a striped green and black tie. Sandee arrived to pick him up wearing a tight, form-fitting red dress that came down to her mid thigh. It showed off her lean figure and medium sized chest. Her long locks of honey-brown hair matched her honey-brown eyes and were curled. Her red lipstick matched her dress.

"You look nice," Darren said, opening the door and joining her in the hallway.

"So do you," She smiled, sliding her arm around his and walking together.

Sandee drove to a nice Italian restaurant not far from the hospital, so in the event Darren got a phone call and was needed, he could be there quickly.

Dinner was excellent, with Sandee telling several funny stories about Dahlia. Including one where she fended off a drunken homeless guy who was getting rude with Sandee as they walked down the street. The guy seemed genuinely afraid and backed down. She apologized again for introducing her to Victor and told Darren how she looked up to his mother.

"She's a wonderful woman and a good friend, Darren," Sandee said, holding a fork to Darren's mouth with one of the last few bites of chocolate cake on it. Darren nodded and took his share.

"I'm just scared. I don't know what's going to happen to her or if she'll ever wake up. If she does, I'm worried she'll be different or require constant aid. I just don't want her to suffer."

"I know you don't sweetie," Sandee said, reaching over to place her hand on Darren's. "Just remember that whatever happens, you will have support and help, and you'll never be alone."

"Thank you, Sandee," Darren attempted to smile while gently squeezing her hand.

After dinner, Sandee drove Darren back to his hotel room. Standing in front of his closed door, she held his hands while peering up at him. "May I come in for a little while?"

"I need to head back to the hospital, I was just going to change and make my way back over there."

Sandee nodded slowly, placing her hands on his shoulders and slowly guiding them down to his tie. "Are you sure?" She asked, and then slowly kissed the corner of his mouth. Her lips were so full; Darren often wondered if she had work done to them, as plastic surgery was a booming field in Los Angeles.

Darren cleared his throat and nodded.

Sandee nodded back and hugged him. "I knew you'd turn out to be a great man when I first met you a few years ago," she ended the hug, and placed a hand on his face. "If you ever need anything, and I mean anything," she said, running her thumb across his lips, "I'm here for you." She kissed his lips slowly. Darren's cock pulsed as he felt Sandee's tongue graze his top lip, causing Darren to go slightly weak in the knees as he placed his hands on her waist.

"If this was any other time, and she wasn't in the condition she's in, I'd love to, uh, spend some time with you. But I gotta get back to her side. I'm sorry." Darren explained.

"Don't be," She kissed his cheek. "You're wonderful. I'll see you later, Ok?"

"Ok, see ya later." Darren waved goodbye to Sandee and watched her walk down the hall. She was gorgeous, but his mother was his highest priority.

His daily routine for the next two weeks consisted of being by her side, going to the hotel room every few days to shower, change, or attempt to nap. Thanksgiving came and went, he received phone calls from far away relatives and several visits from his mother's friends and his employer. Sandee was there by his and her side through most of this, when her work schedule allowed.

Chapter 6

A week after Thanksgiving, Darren stood in the hallway just outside his mother's hospital room waiting for the nurses to finish checking her vitals, changing the bed sheets, adjusting the mattress and repositioning Dahlia on the bed. They had also spent extra time putting a small Christmas tree in the corner.

When most of them left he reentered her room and resumed holding and caressing her hand. There was one nurse left entering data on the workstation computer next to the bed. Darren's head again rested on the side railing of the bed, he closed his eyes as his thumb stopped caressing his mother's hand. He heard the nurse click the mouse and occasionally type on the keyboard. The heating unit whirred in the background. He hardly slept any the previous night; the anxiety and worry winning out again. His thoughts were slowing down; he could tell he'd be asleep soon. When he felt a slight tickle on the underside of his hand he didn't really notice. When Dahlia moved her thumb and gently caresses his he thought he was half dreaming in that moment just before the brain enters sleep mode. He felt a tickle and gentle caress again, his lips curled to a miniscule smile as he enjoyed this moment. The nurse cleared her throat and continued typing, shaking Darren from his half sleep state.

He sat up and yawned, looking at his mother. Movement caught his peripheral vision. He looked to the direction of the movement, his hand, and saw nothing. He turned back toward his mother's face. She looked much better, the cuts and bruises long gone. He saw more movement at his hand and then felt a touch. He again, looked at his hand, just in time to see his mother's thumb reach up and caress the underside of it.

"Nurse!" Darren shouted. She turned to see him pointing at his mother's thumb.

Within seconds more nurses filled the room. Darren stood back and let them work. Dr. Decker showed up and began his examination too, checking her eyes, seeing if she reacts to stimuli, and conversing with the nurses. She was coming out of the coma but was not yet fully aware of her surroundings.

Darren paced back and forth just outside her room impatiently as he waited for an update. Dr. Decker joined him, "Hi Darren, well good news! She's coming out of the coma. Now what this means," he said, holding his hands up as if to tell Darren to wait "is that little by little she should be become more and more aware of her surroundings. It could be days before you would be able to have a conversation with her, and maybe longer before she's up and moving around. It'll also be awhile before we can get a good idea of any memory loss or cognitive issues she may have as a result of the damage. Each day she should be awake a little longer."

"I understand. Can I go and see her now?" Darren asked. Dr. Decker smiled and gestured toward her room.

"Mom? Mom? It's me, I'm right here. You're going to be ok. I'm not going anywhere," Darren said, grabbing her hand and holding it once again. He sat still and watched her slight thumb movements for the next hour, and then she was still again. Later that evening, he watched her eyelids flicker as if she were trying to open them. He continued caressing her hand, whispering words of encouragement; telling her that he loved her so much.

Darren's mind started to wander as he sat and watched her. "So what do you think about this Victor guy? I think I should keep him around awhile?" Dahlia sat on the couch next to her son, wrapping her arms around him. He was watching TV and his arm around her shoulder, caressing her arm with his hand.

"Yeah he seems ok I guess."

"Well if you ever have a problem with him, you tell me and I'll dump that geek on the spot."

Darren laughed, "He is kinda geeky."

Dahlia sat up and kissed Darren on the cheek. "He is. A little clingy too. But so far he seems nice. Not as nice as you though. That little Leanna's is a lucky girl"

"Mom, her and I just friends. I'm taking your advice, remember?"

"Yeah yeah I know. Well she's still lucky." Dahlia winked playfully. "I'd like to think I am too. I have my best bud here with me, one of the coolest kids I know."

Darren wiped tears away from his face as he watched his mother's thumb gently graze his hand. It had been 24 hours since she started improving. He heard her sniff that morning, and watched her head turn to the side to face him slightly. He looked at her face and smiled; he couldn't help but touch it. She seemed so peaceful and relaxed. He kept telling her he loved her and was so happy that she's pulling through.