Dance with the Deacon

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Edith had harnessed the gray while I fixed breakfast. After I cleaned the utensils we were off. The wagon moved slowly but steadily behind the gray horse. Since I was reasonably competent as a teamster Edith allowed me to drive the wagon. Neither of us seemed to be much for morning conversation so we rode in silence.

We had been on the road somewhere around four hours when my curiosity got the best of me. "Edith, tell me a little about this religion that forbids coffee?"

"Deacon, I thought we weren't going to do this. Besides it doesn't forbid it or I wouldn't be drinking coffee. It is a strong suggestion that the members avoid coffee and a few other things. Since it is still just a suggestion I do not refrain. At least not when I am away from my husband. At home he does not allow coffee on the ranch."

"And where exactly have you been?"

"Back east to apprentice with a horse doctor. I spent two years living with a him and his family and learning the trade."

"That is unusual isn't it for a woman to be a horse doctor?" I asked it not all that concerned just curious.

"Well not if you need a one on your ranch, and you don't need the woman for a couple of years it is a natural."

"Well it is none of my business, but I don't know too many husbands who would be apart from their woman for that long. Yours must be a strong man."

"Deacon, I might as well tell you now. You are going to hear when we get to the gulch. Since you don't look like the kind of man to put me off on the road, you might as well hear it from me."

"Edith, you make it sound ominous." I could not believe the words coming from my mouth. I actually began sounding as I had before the war. I guess I might have realized for the first time how my educated brain had hidden behind words more suited for the soldier, then gunfighter I had become.

"Well Deacon, you might have a different opinion of me when you hear it." She waited a long moment for me to make a comment. I couldn't think of anything to say so I simply nodded for her to continue.

"I am my husband's second wife." She stared at me defiantly.

"You mean your husband's first wife died?" I asked it harmlessly. I did not expect the reaction it got.

"No damn it, she did not die. She is still very much alive and living in the big house. They have eight children maybe more by this time." Edith was sitting very straight on the wagon seat. Her back was stiff and her words defiant.

I didn't say anything for a while. I rode along bouncing up and down while digesting her remarks.

"So your religion allows men to have more than one wife. Tell me do you believe in the same god as I?" It seemed like the logical question.

"Yes Deacon," She seemed about to go on but decided against it.

"Then I don't see why I should be especially concerned how you live." I thought about it a few minutes then said, "That coffee thing though does seem a bit foolish." I smiled at her broadly.

"Deacon, I think my husband will like you. But he still won't offer you coffee when you visit." Edith smiled broadly.

"So you got sent east because you were a lesser wife?" I asked that after a few more minutes.

"No, because I am barren," she replied.

"Oh I see. Your value is based either on your ability to breed, or the skills you possess?"

"My husband would not agree with that but it is true."

Still later after another prolonged silence I asked, "So you said your people were in the north?"

"Yes my husband and my sister left Utah to move here alone." Edith seemed more than willing to talk suddenly. It was as though she needed to tell me so that she could get it all fresh in her mind for her homecoming.

"Deacon, our people live communally in the north. We share everything with the community. My husband grew tired of that life style. He wanted to own things for himself and his family. He decided to leave."

"So you are no longer part of the community?" I asked it seriously.

"We are still Mormons Deacon, we just don't live with them. I am not sure how the church views us. We are probably outcasts now. It doesn't matter we are still Mormons."

"How do the residents of Sadie's Gulch feel about your husband having two wives?" I asked it because I was curious.

"We don't go into town much. My husband raises the horses and mules for the mines so not too much is said to him. My sister and I go into town only with the family. I am not sure how they feel about us. I only know they do not bother us often."

"In that case you seem to be doing fine with it." I didn't bother to tell her she seemed unhappy. I was sure she knew that already.

The road to Sadie's Gulch was a bit of a misnomer. The road actually ran to the first farm south and west of the small town at the end of the rails. That road was joined by the road from the next farm. That process created a network of roads that led to Sadie's Gulch. The network of roads concept explained why I knew we would be passing by ranches and farms as we weaved our way to the Gulch. It was like a giant spider web.

I munched on a piece of stale bread as I drove along the road. We had not passed even one farm road by noon. By two I was beginning to wonder if the network of roads only existed in the east.

Shortly after three the road went almost through the yard of a small adobe house. I reined the horse in by the small well and trough. "You in the house," I shouted.

"Deacon, don't shout so. You will terrify the folks in there. You sound like the Sheriff." Edith seemed to enjoy the instant negative reaction I had to that remark.

"The shout must have worked." I pointed to the tired looking woman holding the hand of a ten year old child. She was not unattractive but looked worn. She did not appear to take very much pride in her appearance. Her dress seemed old and thin. It also appeared to cling to her body as though she might not be wearing a petty coat. I expected she didn't own a petty coat. The dress was old and limp which added to it's draping look. The woman had a matronly body I noticed. She stood submissively in the door as she spoke.

"Yes?" the woman asked.

"I wonder if we might have some of your water?" I asked it as I began climbing down from the wagon.

"Ten cents to water the horse and five cents for a canteen," she demanded.

I was taken aback. I looked to Edith as if she would have an explanation. She simply shrugged. Edith didn't wait for a decision she simply removed the bit from the horse's mouth.

"Is your man around?" I asked it pretty sure he and I were going to negotiate about the water.

"My man ran off," she informed me bitterly.

I took a hard look around the place. It looked as though it were going to tumble down around her. Not so much the house as all the other structures.

"Why don't you move into town?" I asked it trying to figure out how she was living.

"Nothing for me and the girl in town. Me and her are doing all right out here."

Before I could ask her how she could possibly be doing all right, Edith tugged at my arm. She shook her head slightly. Just enough for me to figure out to keep quiet.

I filled our one water bottle then paid the woman. She went back into the house without even a thank you. I urged the horse to begin plodding south again. We were on the road just a few minutes when I could control my curiosity no longer.

"Why did you stop me from trying to get the woman to move into town. There she might have found a job."

"Deacon, the only job she could get would be working in a saloon. Her little girl would be alone while she did. At least where she is she and the girl can stay together."

"Yes but she is hardly going to make a living for the two of them selling water. Hell half a days ride from her is free water."

"Deacon you are naive. She doesn't ordinarily sell water." The look she gave me would have made it clear to even a man with less worldly ways.

"Damn, the thought never crossed my mind." I actually chuckled.

"Deacon," Edith almost shouted it.

"What?" I asked it genuinely surprised.

"Your language and that evil look in your eye?" Edith expected an answer.

"Edith, I am a deacon not a parson. My job is to prepare the way for the one who comes." I thought is sounded biblical.

"Ah, then you see yourself as John the Baptist."

I remembered my bible school days. "In a way yes. You do know there were women like that one in the bible. Prostitution is not unknown to the church." I thought it sounded real good.

"Deacon, how much do you know about prostitution?" She asked it with what might have passed for a smile on another day. On that day it looked like a woman curious to know how safe she might be.

"Edith, I only confess to God." I planned it to be my final word on the matter.

"Well deacon, I hope you don't carry any permanent reminders of it."

"Edith, I did not admit to anything." I tried to make that my final word.

"Of course not," she said. It seemed she was determined to have the final word. Edith became lost in thought for a few minutes. When she next spoke the voice was not the one I had become accustomed too. "I should go back for her."

"Go back for the woman?" I asked it because she hadn't seemed to approve of the woman at all.

"No the child, I should go back and rescue her."

"If you would like, I will turn around." She looked at me to see if I were joking.

"You wouldn't mind taking her along?" She somehow seemed amazed by it.

"Why would I? How much can a child eat?"

"Quite a bit actually, but that isn't what I meant. Never mind Deacon, it would never work." She seemed a little sad at her own thoughts.

"Very well Edith, whatever you say is fine." I wasn't sure what was going on in her mind.

We rode in silence a few more minutes before she finally said, "Turn around Deacon." I noted with approval that there were tears in her eyes.

The ride back seemed shorter somehow. When I pulled into the yard Edith went into the shack. The woman stood at the door as she had before. Edith simply pushed past her. She was inside for what seemed like a long time but might not have been since I had no watch.

Edith returned to the wagon alone. "Get out of here," she demanded.

I didn't answer I simply began driving down the road. I was just a few minutes into the trip when she spoke again. "That woman needs to be horsewhipped."

"How so?" I asked it quietly. I was afraid of what I might hear.

"She refused to allow me to take the child. She said the child helped her around the place and she needed her."

I nodded not sure what I should or could say.

"Damnit Deacon, she is going to turn that child into a whore." Edith suddenly had menace in her eyes.

I went ahead and turned the horse again without being ordered. The drive back seemed ominously long suddenly. It looked as though I was about to do something really stupid for a man on the run. I was about to take a child away from her mother.

I got down from the wagon before Edith could. "You stay up there. I am going to handle this." Edith didn't like it much but she also could read the look on my face.

The woman met me at the door yet again. She held a rusty old Colt in her hand.

"Put that silly thing down." I spoke in a loud commanding voice. When she lowered the barrel to the floor I again spoke. "Listen to me carefully. You do not want your child to become part of this. She deserves better. That woman can make her life bearable."

"Reverend why don't you and your wife mind your own business. I can take care of my little girl." She said it as she turned into the house.

"I took her arm. I showed her a bruise I had noticed on her arm. "Can you really protect her from some drunken cowboy who wants a younger woman?"

She jerked her arm away then burst into tears. She cried gently holding herself, then she said. "Ten dollars."

I knew what she meant. "Get her things." I demanded it as I counted out ten silver dollars. I was tempted to go on until I reached thirteen but decided against it. I wanted the child out of there not to humiliate the woman. While I counted the money the woman put some things in an old flour bag. It was a small parcel which represented all the little girl owned. She did have one filthy rag doll she held as we walked to the wagon.

The mother didn't leave the house as I held the little girls hand while we walked away. When we reached the wagon Edith greeted the little girl. Edith had somehow become a different woman while I was in that house.

"Hi there honey," she said to the little girl. Edith was on her knees in the dirt. She obviously did not plan to tower over the child. "What's you name honey?"

The child whispered something I didn't get. I waited while the two of them talked in whispers. I looked back to see if the mother would come say goodbye to the child. She didn't leave the house.

"Why don't you two ride up front. I can find a spot in the back." I had no idea why but I knew they needed to be together. A chance for the young girl to know Edith. A chance for her to know that she was safe.

"I think that is a marvelous idea. Deacon this is Jessie. Jessie my name is Edith and that man with the beard is the Deacon. He looks rough Jessie but he is really a sweet man." The child gave no indication that she heard. She seemed to be frightened. I couldn't blame her. She was about to leave her mother and home. She didn't realize how poor an existence it was. It was the only one she had ever known.

I helped Edith onto the seat of the wagon then lifted the little girl up after. Edith made her as comfortable as possible. She didn't even flinch at the dirty little thing sitting beside her. Somehow I was absolutely sure that Jessie would be the only dirty thing allowed to touch her. I was also sure Jessie would not be dirty much longer.

Edith drove continually until she reached a small stream. The old gray took some urging but he finally walked through it. When Edith had the wagon safely across the stream she turned from the road. I knew what she had in mind so I did not question her. She followed the stream north as far as the field allowed. Which was only a short distance.

It was early afternoon when we stopped for the day. I knew better than to object. I wasn't especially in a hurry to reach Sadie's Gulch anyway. I climbed down from the wagon. Then I helped Edith and Jessie down.

"Deacon, why don't you unhitch the gray and I will start supper." It was no suggestion it was an order and I knew it. She had masked it but there was no doubt that it was the way things were going to be. Either her way or one hell of a fight. I again didn't really mind. One day it might come down to a knock down drag out fight, but not on a two day trip. After all I was supposed to be a man of God.

Before I freed the horse I removed the box of camp gear from the rear of the wagon. Shortly thereafter the gray wandered about the meadow as much as his hobbled feet allowed. I rolled a sloppy cigarette then found a shady spot to rest. When I finished the cigarette I drifted off to sleep. When you were hungry most of your adult life you learned to sleep through some of it at least.

I thought at first it was the smell of boiling beans that woke me. Only after a second of pretending to still be sleeping did I realize it was the laughter of Edith and the child. The laughter came not from the camp but from the creek.

I was pretty sure they were bathing. I was also pretty sure I should not go look. I was absolutely sure I would look. I slipped down to the edge of the creek to see what the two of them were up to. Mostly I slipped down to see what Edith looked like naked.

The tiny pool where they washed was no more than a foot or so deep. They each sat in the water but it did not cover more than their legs. Edith even sitting I noticed looked tall and thin. She was facing away from me but I could still make out the swell of her small breasts. It was obvious that Edith had scrubbed the child clean. The child's hair as well as Edith's hung down in those wet strings I always associated with Saturday night.

I was afraid I was about to do the wrong thing but I couldn't help it. I wanted Edith to know. Why I wanted her to know was a mystery even to me.

"So there you are. I was beginning to worry about you." I stood on the bank watching them. I waited to see what Edith would say or do. What she did was turn to me just as if she were fully clothed.

"If you will wait about five minutes you can wash. God knows you need it." For some reason she turned to smile at Jessie. "Don't you think the Deacon could use a bathe honey?"

The little girl only nodded but she was smiling brightly. I returned to the wagon to await their return. The sight of Edith's body kept running through my mind. I suddenly needed the bath in the cold creek. I was experiencing a slight amount of pain. I would definitely have made a fool of myself had not the child been along when they returned from the creek. The child was wearing a blouse that obviously belonged to edith. Edith was wearing men's jeans topped by a white blouse.

Edith saw my interest. "Not a word Deacon. Go bath. When you are finished dinner will be ready."

I left without a word. Edith handed me what was left of a bar of sweet smelling soap as I passed her. She also gave me a very warm smile. I had no idea where it came from but I knew it didn't mean what I wanted it to mean. I moved to the creek very much disappointed in myself. It was going to be very difficult for me to act like a deacon.

I sat in the foot deep creek while I washed my body. The creek was probably cold at its source in the mountains. By the time it arrived where I sat the water was only slightly cool. It ran over a gravel creek bed under a bright sun which accounted for the increase in temperature. The scented soap and the cool water actually were quite nice. I sat in the creek remembering days in a tub before the war. I remembered sitting on the porch in the summer in a copper tub of water quite a bit deeper than the creek. I was so lost in the memory I expected Beebee to come through the door with more hot water. It was a pleasant memory of a time long gone.

When I finished my bath and my trip down memory lane I began looking for my clothes. I found the black suit and even the clerical collar. Missing was my lightweight cotton union suit. It was the kind with short pants and no sleeves. I had purchased it at the same time as the shirt which was also missing. Since I was pretty sure there were no roaming bands of under ware bandits in that part of the country. I slipped into the wool pants and coat. My first clue as to what happened was when I found the union suit and shirt drying on a scrub bush.

"It is a good thing I was sitting with my back to you Edith. You should have let me know you were there I might have turned accidentally."

"But Deacon, if I had said anything you would have turned to answer. In which case it would not have been accidentally. I preferred to take my chances."

"You seem to be a bit of a gambler Edith." The remark was passed with what I hoped appeared to be a harmless smile. It was in fact my first small but unmistakable flirting remark.

"Sometimes Deacon, sometimes," she looked me hard in the eye as she spoke the words. I found myself at a loss for words. Edith was either a very bold woman or I had totally misread her.

Edith was as good as her word. Supper was ready. I was able to change the subject without seeming to be afraid. "So what's in the pot? It sure smells good." Before she could answer Jess spoke.

"Edith let me help. We fixed oatmeal with bacon."

"Well Miss Jess, what part did you do?" I asked it as I knelt on the sparse grass. I was the same height as Jess when she answered.

"I fixed the Oatmeal. Edith was afraid of the bacon grease." She seemed almost defiant.

1...56789...15