Dawn's Innocence

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I try," Kacie mumbled. Hunter was like something out of Soldier of Fortune magazine. Hunter was a huge wall of a guy, nothing but muscle and bulk. The flannel shirt and faded blue jeans did nothing to take away from his 'don't fuck with me or mine' aura. Tristen definitely got his looks from his father. With the short, stubbly brush cut the two of them could have passed for brothers. Hunter was one of those men who missed nothing. He'd definitely caught on to the fact that Tristen and she were more than friends.

"Well, that's the best anyone can do." Hunter grinned and left the two to their privacy. He was going to have to keep a careful eye on Tristen. His son was barely a year into his first shift. A dangerous time when the hormones often overrode common sense, sort of like a second puberty. Kacie was a very pretty girl and Tristen definitely had more than a casual interest in her. Suddenly, he felt very old, damn old watching the two of them together. He wasn't ready to be a grandfather yet. But, if he wasn't careful with his son, he was going to become one. Maybe, it was time to have 'the talk' with Tristen. Oh, Tristen knew the biology, but it was time to make sure he understood the magic behind the science.

Hanning inhaled the frosty air deep into his lungs. He snacked on a chocolate cookie someone thrust into his hand and sipped on a cup of coffee. Lightened by the sense of wild and freedom he felt, he was glad he'd taken the risk of coming. The woods here were a living entity, teeming with life. Good for hunting. He wrapped an arm around Ruby, his wife, hoping to reassure her. She was more hesitant. She hadn't wanted to leave their home and everything they'd ever known. He knew in the depths of his heart this decision was the right one, for him, his son, and her. They were finally home.

Evan stared up at the towering barren limbs that fingered in a skeletal pattern over his head. He had never seen so many trees and had no idea how big they really were. These were real trees, not the ones he'd seen on TV or even like the ones in South Texas. These trees were huge. His six year-old mind imagined how the world looked from up there where the crows nested. "Mom, the trees are so big," he mouthed in wonder.

Ruby tousled Evan's hair with her fingers. "I know, baby. I know." She'd give him a stern talking to later about not going out in the woods alone. Nervousness and hesitance caused her to pick him up and cradle him protectively against her hip. Hanning was excited and eager to be here and so was her son. She was reserving judgment for a later time. Maybe, once she got used to the woods and the snow on the ground, and the cold, wet, air, she would share their enthusiasm.

Chapter 5

Carter unwound his long body as he climbed out from behind the wheel of the car. He was impressed that the wheezing piece of machinery had made the journey from Texas to here. Ignoring Shayla's triumphant grin, he dropped the keys in her outstretched palm. The cool breath of winter's exhale fluttered the ends of his hair and sent a chill up his spine. He was glad to be away from Texas and to finally be able to escape Shayla. The bind between them was stronger than ever. Her emotions were a bittersweet mix of hope and sadness. Whatever she'd left behind had been burned on the pyre with the body of her late husband. Her life was a blank slate and she was so eager to live it. He wished he could share her enthusiasm for the new. The old was too close to his home and he feared his inescapable past had followed him back.

The woods were thick with the scents of the brothers and the musky undertone of wolf. Those not afraid to approach him welcomed him with smiles and claps on the back. Not exactly a hero's welcome, but then again, he was no hero. He'd simply played his part and did what he'd promised he'd do. He'd gotten everyone home in one piece.

The events in Texas were bloody and wrought with fire and ash. He should have some consolation in the fact that vampires aren't the only beasts out there. The wolves were just as violent, perhaps more. Thinking back, he still couldn't believe how fortunate he'd been to fulfill his promise to the Great Father. There was plenty of death to be found in Texas, but his hands were clean. His hands had not shed one single drop of wolf blood. He'd taken what had been voluntarily given and now it was time to rid himself of the bond that had been formed.

The master vampire in him bristled in irritation at the unwelcome sensation of Drew's power. The diplomat in him bowed low as the Great Father approached. The Great Father and his Sons were not men to piss off. "Drew."

"Carter, welcome back. I thank you for your invaluable aid," Drew said. He was casual with his congratulations and his thanks. Carter was not a man to relish in praise or demand recognition. Carter did not appreciate calling attention to himself in any way. He preferred to remain hidden in the backdrop of shadows and obscurity. Unfortunately, Carter was not an obscure man. He stood as tall as any brother, lank and lean without the gift of thick muscle and bulk, but he was far from weak and not one to be underestimated.

Drew had peeked inside the man's mind and what he saw there was the stuff of nightmares. He'd always believed, especially since he did not think himself necessarily handsome, thank the goddess Tala's opinion differed, that being gifted with a fair face would be a blessing. Carter saw his male beauty as a curse. There were a lot of things about Carter perhaps, Drew would never understand, such as why he preferred to dwell in the shadows instead of embracing the light or why he believed he was cursed. The man was not cursed, not any more than what he believed himself to be.

Drew sensed Carter's uneasiness with the daylight and his anxiety to return to his Guardians. "I am in your debt, yet again."

"My city is still intact I take it?" Carter asked. Narrowing his glacier blue eyes behind their dark protective shielding, he walked to the edge of the drive and motioned for Drew to follow. To get completely out of earshot of the wolves and the brothers he'd have to be a lot farther than just at the end of the gravel drive. He knew his Guardians would keep it together in his absence. The threat of Keene was enough to keep them in line. It wasn't his guardians necessarily that he was worried about.

"Ah, straight to the point. I like that about you, Carter. No unnecessary pretence or pleasance. Keene reports that all has been quiet since your absence," Drew said. The Guardians were invaluable in the war against the rogues. For far too long the Sons had been in charge of everything, including the city. It wasn't that they ever relaxed, especially not him. He didn't, and his brothers agreed, turn his back on the Guardians. They were allies until the day they weren't. The rogue vampires turned civil servants were only as strong as the leader commanding them and Carter was a capable but very, very reluctant leader.

Carter had an uncanny sense about him. He understood the minds of rogues perhaps better than the rogues themselves did. He knew how to keep a rogue in line and he held his Guardians on a very short leash. There seemed to be little Carter couldn't handle, perhaps except for his inner self. Drew had to wonder how much time the man had before the tight leash he kept himself on snapped and they had a more dangerous rogue than any they'd ever faced on their hands.

Carter feared nothing, not even death. Drew got the impression that Carter believed when death finally came for him he deserved it. He'd welcome an end to things. Not many vampires had the stamina for the long life Carter had lived. Carter was old, on the outer rim of becoming an ancient at somewhere around five hundred years old. Few made it to Carter's age and even fewer past. Most chose death or were delivered into death's hands as a mercy. The old ones Drew had had the misfortune of meeting were vampires gone insane. Perhaps, that was why he fought so hard to protect Carter from himself. Drew didn't want to kill Carter and he feared one day he'd have to. He hoped as long as Carter had a purpose larger than himself, maybe it wouldn't come down to that. A vampire without a purpose to his long life was indeed a very dangerous thing. And as long as there were rogues, Carter had his reason for being.

Drew knew little about Carter's maker. Eric O'Sullivan was a very dangerous rogue master. One of the few ancients left that was completely sane. Carter never spoke of the man who had birthed him into this world other than to warn Drew to guard the territory well. Eric was not a man to be taken lightly. So far, O'Sullivan adhered to the very letter of the law. The brotherhood had no reason to hunt him down, but someday, that might change. "How was the trip?"

"Action packed and full of fun," Carter answered sarcastically. Drew could as his wolves to recant the events that happened in Texas. What happened down there was no longer his concern. What might happen here, in his city was a potentially much bigger problem. Drew had the tendency to not worry about things until he had to. Carter wished he had the man's faith in the ultimate purpose and in his invisible goddess. He did not. He had faith in nothing. Drew would have to believe hard enough for the both of them. He'd do the worrying for the two of them. "I ran into an old friend along the way."

O'Sullivan was hardly a friend, but he was a deep concern. He and his vampires had control of the whole western United States and a good part of the Southwest. Their migration east, and his spotting them outside of Saint Louis was a cause for worry. They were too close for comfort. Maybe, it was a random sighting, but Eric O'Sullivan never did anything randomly. If he was this close to the brotherhood's territory, he had a reason for being there.

Carter watched as Drew contemplated in that stoic, silent way of his. Drew had changed considerably since their first encounter over a year ago. There was a peace about him now that had not been there then. Whatever the insanity was that was his life, it seemed to agree with him. Looking out over the crowd, he could see bits and pieces of Drew scattered here and there in the faces, the shape of someone's eyes, the dark hair and bronzed skin common to both the pack and the brotherhood, a tilt of a jaw line or arc of a nose, sometimes in a gesture, or in someone's body stance.

Carter could not imagine seeing himself in someone so distantly related they weren't really related at all as was the case with most of these people. History knew Drew by another name, a name of legend and great courage. That man died, according to the history books, almost two centuries ago when the Great Father had been born. Drew was still very much that man though. The leader he'd been born to be and this family, the living, breathing, and quite a few of the undead, fanged, and furry were his descendents. Not everyone here was of Drew's mortal line. Others were like him, outcasts brought into the fold to serve the common purpose they all shared.

"Any reason for the Sons to be put on alert?" Drew asked. His Sons protected the innocent from the constant threat of the rogues. If left unchecked, rogues would drain a town dry and set it to ruins in less than one day. They'd harvest humanity and pluck them like produce in the field, if they were allowed to run amok. They'd drink until there wasn't a human left.

Rogues either didn't care or had no concept that without humans, they'd all starve to death. They had no idea or refused to believe the power humans held over them. Vampires were outnumbered perhaps, ten thousand to one, maybe more. If humanity found out about them, it'd be the end of them all, Son, Guardian, and Stray included. Either that or the world would people itself with vampires and there'd be no safe haven for anyone. It was the combined duty of the Sons and the Guardians to make sure the worst cases scenarios didn't happen.

Carter frowned. He didn't have an answer to Drew's question. "I'll have to keep you posted."

"Please do, and Carter, don't be such a stranger. Join us in celebration before you leave for the city tonight." He gripped Carter's bicep and squeezed tightly. The gesture was a show of brotherhood and of thanks. "I know that wild game isn't exactly to your tastes, but hunting with the wolves can be quite exhilarating."

"Always trying to make new converts aren't you?" Carter teased and returned the Great Father's friendly gesture. There was one major difference between the Sons and the Guardians. Diet. The Sons only took of human blood out of necessity. Animals were hunted for means of sustenance. The Guardians drank regularly and exclusively from humans. The reasons why were twofold. The city was crowded and it was too easy for a rogue to slip under the radar. Out here a rogue would be scented and hunted down quickly. In the city, a Rogue would smell a Son coming a mile away. The blood of animals gave the brothers a sweeter scent. The second reason was that old habits were too difficult to break. Humans satisfied the hunger better. The Guardians were difficult enough to keep in check without the constant craving for human blood to contend with. There was one thing they agreed on adamantly though. No human died at the hands of a Guardian or a Son. Ever.

"Can't blame me for trying," Drew chuckled. He didn't judge. Well, he tried not to. Carter knew how to serve his people best and if feeding from donors ensured their allegiance to the cause, Drew was willing to make a few concessions.

For his Sons the world they shared simply was different. Hunting wild game took the edge off their instincts and the blood sated the constant craving for more. Human blood was a necessity he wished he could find a way for the brothers to avoid all together. So far, it hadn't happened. Blood substitutes, the artificial stuff Thomas had suggested was acrid and bitter. Bagged donor blood was dead blood devoid of the magic of life. There was no other way but straight from the tap, or the vein, as it were. Drew speculated what Thomas in his world of science and fact refused to believe. It wasn't the blood but the magical spark of life it contained that kept the brotherhood alive.

"Can't blame me for denying," Carter retorted jovially. The two groups were at a stand off on this particular issue. The Guardians didn't kill and the brotherhood had no cause to end the allegiance unless they did. Oh, the Sons could have rounded them up and ended each and every one of them. Not one of the Guardians' hands were free from the stain of the cardinal sin of taking a life. Perhaps, the brotherhood bore its share of guilt as well. At the end of the day they were what they were and the beasts inside of them was a lethal predator. The only thing that bound the Sons and the Guardians together was pure necessity. No one wanted a war between the two factions, not when there were worse, more deadly enemies to battle.

Their conversation was interrupted by a light tug on the hem of Carter's jacket. Evan stared up at him with those big round eyes of his, his face hopeful and imploring. The kid had developed a fondness for him, not even Carter could explain. Even should be terrified, cowering behind his mother's skirts. Most children were. Somehow, children had the uncanny ability to recognize a vampire for what it was and knew to be afraid. Evan however, possessed no such survival instinct. Carter reached down and ruffled Evan's hair. Maybe, it was a symptom of insanity or a complete lack of common sense, but Carter had developed a soft spot for the brave little boy. "Uncle Carter, can I have a piggyback ride before you leave?"

"Uncle?" Drew blinked in disbelief. Carter was cold and emotionally removed from everyone simply because he chose to be. Everyone, that was except for the little dark haired boy tugging on the hem of his jacket. It was laughable watching Carter with the little boy, most likely one of Drew's distant nephews. Drew could see hints of his brother in Evan's cherubic face. It broke his heart to see his brother in Evan and in this family finally brought home. Sometimes, when he least expected it, the loss of his brother hit home and the pain of it was as fresh as it had been when it first happened.

Who would have thought this stoic vampire could be brought to his knees and tamed by a little boy? There was something...other about Evan. A gift, Drew suspected Evan knew he possessed even if he didn't quite know what it was yet. Evan's little fingers curled around Carter's much thicker wrist. He didn't balk as Carter hoisted him up and deposited him on his shoulders. Drew mourned the father Carter might have been if fate hadn't stolen the choice and his life away from him. He didn't dwell on his human children often, the life he'd lived before circumstance and destiny had intervened and taken him down a very different path.

Carter shrugged and settled Evan onto his shoulders. The little guy latched onto his neck and braced himself for a wild race through the woods. The trust this child placed on him shattered the icy casing around his heart. That was a dangerous thing. Carter needed his distance from the living. They were so fragile and they died so easily. He didn't want to care for Evan. But, the kid had gotten to him. No matter what became of his life, he'd die to protect this little boy. Casting the Great Father a grin, he said, "What can I say? I'm good with kids."

Evan bristled with excitement at the thought of a piggyback ride. This place was great! The trees were so tall. The ground was wet and slippery from the ice and snow. He'd already learned how to make a snowball. There was so much to see and do, so many things to explore. Evan wanted to see everything right now. His mother would say he was being a pain. Hyperactive... yeah, that was the word she used when he couldn't contain himself. He was just so excited! The people here were nice, nicer than they had been back home. Even the pack that had come here with Mistress Eloise somehow seemed happier than they ever had been. This was a good place. Evan knew it instinctively, just as he knew Carter was good too. "Uncle Carter, can we go really, really fast?"

Drew shook his head as Carter nodded and bolted, streaking into the woods with the little boy tightly secured on his shoulders. Good with kids? Carter? Who would have guessed a child would accomplish what he had not? Evan reached the deepest blackest spot in Carter's heart and gave it both purpose and light. Drew knew with the certainty he knew the sun would rise and set long after he finally left this world, Carter would die to protect that little boy. But, he had the uncanny suspicion Evan might protect Carter as well.

Chapter 6

Torr slid out of the truck and stood at a distance from the gathering and chattering of the pack. He doubted that anyone would speak to him anyway. Many still saw him as a bitter reminder of his father's brutality and as the enemy. He could not forgive what his father had done to these people. The Great Seff and his almighty quest for power, he'd ripped these people's lives to shreds and for what? Acquisition, dominance, and he'd paid for his ambitions with his life. Torr could not bring himself to feel not one pang of regret for sending his father to whatever afterlife was reserved for the damned. Torr's days of regret were over and he had too much lost time to make up for.

Erica Grey was out there somewhere and he was going to find her. There was no way to make up for the time he'd lost. She might have moved on and that was understandable. The loss would sting, but he'd get over it. At this point he half expected that she had moved on. They'd only shared one night together. Sure, it was a night he'd never forget, but what they shared went far beyond a night of great sex. They'd created a child, a daughter, and it was for her that he was willing to put himself out on a limb. He wanted with her what he'd never had with his father, a relationship and a second chance.