Dawn's Promise

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, oh I'm sorry. My name is Leigh." This is such a small town, I'm used to everybody knowing everybody." She rubbed the back of her neck in embarrassment over her social faux pas. "Please have a seat, make yourself comfortable." Leigh guided Candace to an overstuffed recliner next to the fire. Leigh eased down in her rocker and picked up a yarn ball from the floor. "So, tomorrow is a big day." She looked up at Will, dropping a hint. "Alexander is in the barn settling Jack in for the night."

Will nodded in understanding. There was no need to tell him twice. He wound his way through the house and to the barn. An expectant whinny from the back of the barn greeted him as he stepped inside, sinking in layers of soft earth and hay. "Hey Jack," he said, scratching the old bay behind his furry ears. "How's it goin'?" The horse whinnied and nudged his arm, eager for more scratches.

"You went through this with Alex?" Candace asked. How did the poor woman survive the ordeal without loosing her mind? Eager for something to keep her hands busy, she accepted the skein of yarn from Leigh and started unraveling the thread.

"It was hard. When the change took hold, I couldn't go to her. I couldn't comfort my little girl. I had to stand back and listen to her scream in agony, crying out for me." Leigh frowned, remembering Alexander's arms holding her back. She patted Candace's hand knowingly. "You'll be able to do that much, to go to Chance as soon as the worst is over. For me the risk was too great. She could have hurt me. I couldn't go near her for at least a month."

"What did you do?"

Leigh smiled and sighed. "The same thing all mothers do, waited it out." She took a sip from the mug on the end table. "After it was over and I laid eyes on her for the first time. I knew she was still my little girl. Nothing would ever change that." She looked deeply into the fire and shook her head. "No matter how old they get or what they decide to do with their lives, we'll always worry. It's part of the job description. Sometimes, it's so hard to let them go on their own paths."

Candace nodded in fervent agreement. "It is." The women sat side-by-side gazing into the merrily dancing flames lost to thoughts about their children. The slamming of the back door and husky male laughter shook Candace out of her revere. Candace dropped the basketball-sized ball of purple yarn into Leigh's basket and bent to give her a light hug. "Thanks so much."

"Feel free to stop by anytime," Leigh replied, gently patting Candace's back. "Good luck tomorrow."

Alexander leaned heavily against the back of the recliner, toying with a strand of Leigh's hair. "Did I ever tell you that you're a good woman?"

Leigh looked up at her husband, smiling widely at his words of praise. "Once in a while." She tipped her head back to meet the softness of his adoring kiss. "You can always tell me again."

"Thanks, Will," Candace said. She draped her arm lightly around his waist and paused at the passenger side door. She heard a rustle of movement in the surrounding woods, running along the side of the driveway. Deer. She looked up at him eagerly. "Can we?"

"Why, but of course," Will replied. He could go for a bit of nourishment himself. Eager to hunt, he followed Candace into the wood.

Chapter 54

Chance reclined back in the booth patting his overly full stomach. "Oh man, that was good," he said, snagging the last golden brown, heavily battered onion ring off the plate. Anna's guess was dead on. The thick juicy burger, onion rings, chocolate shake, and round of fried mushrooms he'd polished off, hit the spot.

Anna smiled happily her mood bolstered in a carbohydrate-induced buzz. "I'm so glad you enjoyed it." Throughout dinner they'd made polite conversation, exchanging light jokes and small talk. She looked around making sure no one in the crowded pub was close enough to overhear. "Kind of makes you rethink the whole vampire thing doesn't it?"

"No, not really. Once I'd gotten my ass handed to me in that ring, I knew I was in it for the long haul. No amount of comfort food could compensate for that kind of suffering."

"No, I guess not," she said, snatching the bill out of his hand before he could reach for his wallet. "My treat." She whipped a couple of twenties out of her purse and handed them to the waitress. "Thank you so much for asking me to dinner tonight. It meant a lot... being... well, you know," Anna stammered uncomfortably.

Chance nodded, he understood what she was trying to say. "Its too bad that I won't be able to reciprocate when it's your turn. I'll be looking at this virtual feast like it's poison. Just like the rest of them do."

Anna shook her head in denial. "Oh, I'm not going to...," she stuttered. She didn't mean to come off insulting to him. Quickly, she backpedaled. " Um, I mean, I haven't been asked to do that."

Chance felt his cheeks grow warm. Great. Maybe he should have ordered more onion rings. At least, then his mouth would be too full to stuff his foot into it. "I'm sorry, I assumed you and Toby were getting... close."

Anna mirrored the red flush spreading across Chance's cheeks. "Oh we're close, but nothing serious."

"Would you if he asked you to?"

Anna frowned and considered Chance's question. "I don't know. I've thought about it and I just don't know." She smiled, changing the subject. This was supposed to be a happy night for Chance. Not an evening spent rehashing the same old topics that occupied her mind every second. "So, you want dessert?"

"I don't think I could." Chance patted his bulging stomach. "I want to. But, I'd better not."

"They have take out," Anna suggested. "I've seen your mother try to cook and well, it isn't pretty."

Chance leaned close, his elbows resting on the empty space between the stacks of dirty dishes. "She was like that before she changed. Nah, I'm going to stop on the way back and get a box of Donut Boys for the road." He licked his lips at the mere mention of the greasy, crispy, sweet, treats.

"Those are the best," Anna agreed. At her office, donut Friday was a thing of legend. Every week the staff took turns stopping by to pick up a dozen of the donuts fresh out of the fryer. And they were heavenly. She slid out from the booth and put her coat on. The few block ride home was silent. Anna wasn't sure of what else to say. Sliding out of the passenger side, she stopped and planted a friendly peck on Chance's cheek. "I won't be able to be with you tomorrow. But, know I'll be thinking of you."

"Thanks Anna. Good night." Chance glanced around into the dimly lit neighborhood. Toby was around somewhere, lurking in the shadows. "Good night, Toby," Chance called out. Laughing at Toby's reply, he buckled in and headed for the interstate. He'd said his goodbyes to the city and it was time to go home.

******

Candace scowled at the armloads of belongings Chance drug in. "Did you at least leave the curtains?"

Chance huffed past her and dropped the last trash bag on the floor. "Yeah, there doesn't seem to be much need for them around here." He plopped down on the bed and blew out a heavy sigh. All these super strong vampires around here, and did one of them offer to help him drag in his load? Hell no.

Candace picked through the bags in curiosity. "This is almost everything out of your room. What's left in there?"

"Nothing. What isn't here has been pitched," Chance replied. Rearranging his trophies in an orderly row along the dresser.

Candace grabbed a rumpled shirt off the bed and lifted it to her nose, inhaling the smell of home. The scent was a combination of fabric softener, cedar chips from the closet, and Chance's natural masculine aroma. "But," she protested. What was he thinking cleaning out everything? He would have to repack all his things when they went back.

"Mom, I'm not going back," Chance said, almost as if he were replying to her unspoken thoughts. "I realized while I was packing, this is my home. Not there, it's just a house now."

"No," Candace said, shaking her head in denial. "You've lived there since you were two. Its your home."

"This is my home. It has been from the very beginning. This is your home too if you'd quit denying it and listen to reason." He slid the shirt from her hands, shook the wrinkles out, and hung it in the closet. He didn't want to fight with her. Not tonight, when there was so little time left. But, she was looking at him as if he'd committed some kind of sacrilege by emptying out his room.

"Don't you get it? As of tomorrow night Chance Anderson will cease to exist. I can't pretend to be someone I'm not and neither should you. How much longer do you think you can possibly hang on to what was?" Chance asked.

Candace's mind whirred as she realized what he was telling her. The truth she'd been fighting so desperately not to see. "What do you mean?"

"Mom," Chance said gently. " How many more years can you go on pretending? How many explanations can you give? People age. We won't."

Candace leapt from the bed and turned to face her son. "I won't listen to this. You don't know."

"No," Chance agreed, shaking his head. "But, I have enough sense to realize that it has to happen. We have to disappear."

"That's not true!" Candace burst into tears. "Everything I've worked for." She pressed her face into her hands and sobbed. "It can't be gone."

Chance guided his mom to the edge of the bed and gently pried her hands away from her face. "Mom, you've always done such a good job raising me and providing for us. I'm proud of you and what you've accomplished. But, this is how it has to be. I'm sorry. I thought you understood." He held her, being the strong one while she rested her head on his shoulder and cried.

Candace took a deep shaky breath. Her son was right. She understood that now. But, was she ready to let her former life go? Give up? Chance seemed ready, almost eager. But, she wasn't certain what she wanted. The words he'd said made sense. She could hear the simple truth in them. "I need more time," she said weakly.

"I know, Mom. I know." He released from his arms, watching her gracefully pick her way through the maze of trash bags to the door. He hadn't meant to hurt her. "Mom, I love you."

"Try to get some rest, ok. I love you too, baby," Candace said. Hiding her tears before she selfishly ruined the rest of his evening, she left his room. She was going out to find Will. She wanted to hear it from him and she also wanted to know why he hadn't told her sooner. How could she have been so stupid and not figured it out on her own?

"Damn," Chance hissed, pushing the rest of his meager belongings off the bed and climbing up into the middle. Stretching out and staring up at the ceiling, he squeezed his eyes tightly shut. Condemning himself for the pain he'd caused his mother.

Alex stood anxiously in the doorway. "I saw the door open. I can come back later if you're busy." She eyed the unruly pile strewn about on the floor and backed away. Chance lay in the middle of the bed, staring pensively at the ceiling.

"No, come on in." Chance sat up in the bed, watching Alex pick her way through the piles and trash bags littering the floor. She must think he was an a-number-one slob. Almost timidly, she sat on the edge of his bed and toyed with something in her palm.

"You ok?" Alex asked. Frowning at his facial expression, she surveyed the mess at her feet instead of meeting his eyes. Bags and piles of clothes were strewn about, like his closet had vomited its contents all over the floor. Was he moving in, officially?

"Yeah, I had a spat with my mom." He shook his head, trying to spare her the details. He had enough people worrying over him. And couldn't stand one more pitying glance in his direction. "No big deal."

"Oh," Alex nodded, understanding. She'd had plenty of arguments with her parents over the years. And nothing left you feeling like shit, like you were the worst kid on the planet, than a disagreement with your parents. "You ready for tomorrow?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," Chance replied with a deep sigh.

"I'll be there tomorrow night. We all will be. You won't be alone."

"I appreciate that." He said a sudden derelict thought entered his mind. "You gonna be dressed like Robbie was the other day?" He grinned at the thought of Alex in skintight, form fitting, leather and was damned grateful the loose blue jeans hid the evidence well.

Alex scoffed. Blushing at the sudden quickening of Chance's pulse and dilation of his pupils. Small things, he didn't even know were happening to his body, but told her a great deal about his physical response. "Not hardly. That was Janine's design. There is no way I'd ever wear something like that."

"Damn," Chance teased. Muttering under his breath, he said, "Can't blame a guy for trying." He smiled coyly at Alex, flirting shamelessly with her. After tomorrow she'd know every thought in his head. Assuming he didn't die in the process of transformation. Either way, he didn't see the harm in coming clean with the truth. She was cute. Womanly cute. Not quite, goddess sexy, like the women in the magazines he'd donated to Marcus. But, pretty in that wholesome girl next door kind of way. Real. With figure flaws common to all women not skeletally thin and photoshopped to death. Peach freckles dotted her rosy cheeks. Healthy, he guessed was the word. Exactly, his type.

Alex giggled in embarrassment. She supposed since Chance was putting his life on the line for an uncertain future, she could endure a little harmless and shameless flirtation from him. "I guess not. But, I really stopped by to give you this." She held out her closed fist, opening her fingers and dropping an ornately carved turquoise and silver charm into his palm. "It was Lucien's and I want you to have it. For luck."

"Wow, are you sure. This must be very important to you." Chance didn't know what to say. Turning the gift down would be rude and would hurt her feelings. He turned the charm over with his index finger and glanced up at her. "Thank you."

She nodded and smiled. "Lucien always wore it, everyday. It is important to me. But, so are you. You've become a good friend, Chance." She thought he might argue with her. Claim the gift was too meaningful to her to accept. Instead, he eased the weathered leather strap over his head and returned her smile.

"I'll take good care of it. I promise." The turquoise and silver were cool against his skin. The leather soft from wear, resting at the base of his neck. He didn't know what kind of a man Lucien had been. But, he liked to think, that if Alex loved him, he was a damned good one. Chance could never hope to fill his shoes or the void left behind in her heart. But, maybe, their friendship would ease her loneliness, just a little.

"I'll see you tomorrow night at the ceremony." She bent low, pausing to gently brush her lips over his cheek. "Come back to us, ok." Embarrassed by the sting of tears in her eyes, she trotted out of the room.

"Goodnight," Chance called after Alex. The charm was heavy against the hollow of his throat. Glancing at the clock he frowned. He had less than twenty hours left. Time and his humanity were passing by far too quickly. Wearily he stretched out on the bed and closed his eyes. Dreaming of Alex, silver charms, and oceans of the bluest turquoise.

Chapter 55

Candace sat perched on a boulder, watching the sun climb higher and higher up the steep edges of the bluffs. This was her son's last day as a human. She vowed, no matter what, they wouldn't argue today. The day was too important. She wanted it to be special for him.

She thought about the things Chance said to her last night. In her heart she knew he was right. But she hadn't been ready to face it. Her life had ended the night she became a vampire. She'd been too deep in denial trying desperately to hold on to the pieces that were left. She figured at best, she could only keep her true identity for another three or four years. But, was there any point? Chance and Will were both right. She belonged here. This was her home.

She wondered where that left her and Will in their relationship. It was as if the last twenty years had never passed and they'd picked up where they left off. But, time had changed them. In the time that passed, she had become a mother and a provider for her family. He was no longer the carefree wild spirit that she'd fallen in love with. He was a responsible man sacrificing to serve the greater good. They still loved each other. That much was evident. But, did they truly belong together?

"Hi," Chance said, emerging out of the surrounding tree row. "Will said I'd find you here." He took a seat next to his mom. The smooth, cold, stone surface of the boulder bit through his jeans into the backs of his thighs. He scooted closer, not for warmth, but for comfort. He needed her, today of all days. Shoulder to shoulder, they sat together, watching the sun finish its glorious ascent.

Will approached on silent feet, hating to disturb the moment Chance and his mother shared. But, it was almost time to get ready for the ceremony and he was hoping to steal a few moments of his own with his son. He sat on the ground at the base of the boulder, resting his back against Candace's shin and his head on her knee. "I wondered if you two were every coming in side."

"Just enjoying some sun," Chance replied, inwardly smiling at the casual closeness his parents shared. "We still have some time left, don't we?" He was starving, his empty stomach growling in protest. But, he had no appetite for the box of donuts he'd picked up last night on his way home. Too nervous to eat, he supposed. But, shouldn't he try? Shouldn't he be stuffing his face, swimming in booze, indulging in every luxury he'd never tried before while he still could?

"As much time as you need," Will replied. Staring out at the bluffs through the dark lenses of his sunglasses. After twenty years, it amazed him at how sensitive to the UV rays of the sun he still was. His eye drawn to the sunlight glinting off the sliver, he reached up and fingered the charm around Chance's neck. "This was Lucien's."

"Yeah, Alex gave it to me. She said it would bring me luck," Chance replied. He blushed thinking about the sweet innocent, kiss she'd landed on his cheek, also, she claimed, for luck. He shrank at his mom's brows, lifted in curiosity. He was so not going to talk girls with his parents on his last day as a human. "It's not like that. We're friends," he grumbled.

"Sure," Will said, dropping the conversation. The three of them sat enjoying the quiet of the woods and the bite of the cold, crisp, winter air against their skin until the sun began to dip low in the sky. "Its time," he said gently.

Reluctant to leave the moment he shared with his parents Chance sighed, "Ok." He stood, turning to his mother. Frowning when she remained seated. "Aren't you coming?"

Candace looked up at her son. This was the last time she'd see him human. She wanted it to be a happy time. One she'd always remember. She didn't want him to see the worry or the sadness reflected in her eyes. "No, I'm going to stay out here for a while. Catch a last ray or two." She'd had her moment alone with him, the three of them had shared a few brief hours together, and now it was his father's turn to have his son all to himself.

"Ok." Chance said, bending to kiss the top of her head, "I'll see you soon." He stared at her long and hard memorizing every curve and line of her face. He knew it was the last time he'd ever see her through his human eyes and he wanted to capture every detail.

Candace watched as Chance and Will disappeared into the woods. She sighed quietly as she waited for time to pass and midnight to come.

1...3334353637...39