Deciphering the Bloom Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The change in the rhythm of the car roused David. They were in a neighborhood. He sat up and Nic grinned at him.

"Dee, we're almost there."

Davey rubbed the sleep from his eyes. He knew where they would pull in before they did. It was a large house with cars lining the street. The house and the driveway was lit by multiple flood lights, every light in the house seemed to be on.

Nic pulled, "Pop must have insisted they leave the driveway clear," he met Davey's eyes as he cut the engine. "Are you ready? If not, I can turn around; we can find a nice bed and breakfast."

Davey loved him even more for offering, "No, I'm excited to meet your family Nic. I think you've told me enough to be prepared."

Nic leaned in and kissed him, "Okay Dee, we'd better head in, or they'll all come out."

They exited the van and walked up the steps to the front door. Nic was about to knock when the door opened. A large man, with grey curly hair greeted them with a warm smile.

"Hi pop," Nic stepped readily into his father's embrace.

After a moment he pulled back, "You look good Nico. I made everyone wait in the family room; I didn't want them mobbing you."

Mr. Evangelista stepped back making room for Davey and Nic to enter.

Nic place his arm around David's shoulder. "Pop, this is my boyfriend, David Bradley Collins, Dee that's pop."

Davey moved out of Nicolao's embrace to shake the large man's hand.

"Natanaele or you can call me Sr., or pop if you like."

Pop... Sr. ... Mr. Evangelista was a large, powerfully built man. His hands were calloused and rough from a lifetime of work. They followed him to the family room where all on Nic's siblings were. As soon as they crossed the threshold they all surged around them. Nicolao was wrapped in a blanket of arms and kisses.

Davey pressed back against a wall. Amid the flurry of activity a small woman moved past Nic's greeting mob and approached him. David thought she looked no more than forty. Her long, straight black hair was streaked with grey, and she stood an inch shorter than he. She was stunning, with brown skin and delicate bones structure.

Davey stepped forward, offering his hand, but she pressed into him and wrapped her arms around him. Not knowing what else to do, he hugged her back.

"It is so good to finally meet my other son," she declared and pressed a kiss on his cheek.

When she stepped back, Davey was surprised to see the assembly was watching them.

"Everyone, this is David, your brother. And this is Hilaria our ma." Nicolao leaned down to hug and kiss his mother.

Davey recognized everyone from photos Nic had shown him. Nicolao and Nieves got their fine features and smaller bone structure from Hilaria as well as their black, straight hair. All of the Evangelista children were gifted with Nate's height, and topped six feet. Natanaele Jr., Nerina, and Narisco all had curly, dark brown hair and thicker bodies. Only Nicolao inherited his mother's watery eyes.

Not long after they walked in the group moved to the dining room. They had been holding dinner until their arrival. Davey felt guilty over their stops, but Nic insisted they shouldn't have waited. The dinner was delicious, and full of stories about Nicolao. David listened, seated between Hilaria and Nic. He had never been witness to such a congregation. They ate, laughed, and conversed with ease, no one tripped over the other, and the invisible lines of kinship guided the right voice to the correct ear. Even Sera, Nate Jr.'s wife navigated the multiple discourses without pause, Davey noted. They had no idea, he was sure; it was all a foreign performance to him. But one he enjoyed none the less.

"How was your drive David? Did Nico stop and make you shop at every shop he saw?" Hilaria asked.

"No ma'am..." he stammered, but laughed when he saw the knowing look in her eyes. "We did a little shopping."

"For you ma! I left the gifts in the van; I'll get them for you after dinner." Nicolao explained, couldn't David and his mother bond over something other than his shopping.

Hilaria rolled her eyes at her third born. "Driving is not bad for you; you do not get motion sickness, or any of those things?" She patted his hand on the table next to hers.

Davey glanced at Nic, but he shook his head. They had established the trip went well.

"No, ma'am, I think I like travelling. It was fun."

She rewarded him with a smile and squeezed his hand, "Good, when we go to Santa Fe you should love it."

"Ma, Dee doesn't have a passport." Nic began, he loved his mother for accepting David as her own, but he knew Dee wasn't fully his yet.

"Nico, the trip is next year, plenty of time for a passport."

Davey was confused. Why did he need a passport to go to New Mexico?

"We're all going to Argentina next year," Narisco explained from across the table. He was watching his three year old Joshua's handling of a glass of juice. His curly brown hair was cut low, showing off his handsome face, a balanced mix of both parents. Davey noted that when he wasn't focused on Joshua he seemed to be studying him.

Davey wasn't able to mask his shock. Was he going to South America on a family trip? Nic hadn't mentioned it; did he want him to go?

Narisco smiled, his dark eyes kind, "Hey there's plenty of time to decide what you want to do, don't sweat it."

"Of course you do not have to go, but I want you to think about it." Hilaria explained, giving his hand another squeeze.

"Yes, plenty of time for vacation decisions, but less time for business, Risco." Natanaele chimed in from the head of the table.

Narisco furrowed his heavy brows and picked imaginary lint from his shirt. "I know pop, I'll make a decision soon I promise." He said, giving his father a weak smile.

Nicolao mentally patted himself on the back for moving away. Unlike Narisco, he did not have to endure pop's ever present push for them to all own businesses, preferably Natanaele and Sons garages. Perhaps that was why his little brother was so reserved tonight. His compulsive grooming was a clear indicator that Risco had something on his mind.

"Nate's taking orders from all over the country, another shop would thrive." Natanaele explained to the table.

"Your shop is doing that well Nate?" Nicolao asked his older brother.

The most reticent member of their clan, shrugged noncommittally.

"Business is great. Nate and those green ideas of his are really something." Natanaele bragged for his eldest.

"It's not all me pop." Natanaele the younger asserted, obviously uncomfortable with the praise.

Nic nudged Sera with his elbow. "Still humble? After catching you, I'd have thought he would be comfortable with thumping his chest a bit."

"No one is as comfortable as you are with chest thumping. When you caught David I'm sure you put King Kong to shame." Sera elbowed him back. Nate and Nicolao couldn't be more different. Her husband was a reserved, gentle man hidden underneath wild hair, and intelligent eyes. His younger brother was a vibrant peacock, drawing the attention to himself in order to relieve any stress on Nate. Sera smiled appreciatively at Nicolao.

Nicolao winked, "When you have something great to crow about why be shy?"

"When are you ever shy?" Sera raised an auburn eyebrow as she ribbed him.

"I was nervous about approaching Dee."

Davey's face blanched, "When?"

Nicolao shook his head trying to look sincere, "There was a minute there..."

The assembly laughed at the improbable statement.

Nicolao met David's eyes; to be sure he was at ease with their banter.

"Right after I asked you to sit down?" David said smirking.

"He made the first move? Way to almost blow it Nico." Nieves teased.

"I thought he was untouchable jailbait." He explained.

Nieves theatrically turned her coffee eyes to David. "Yeah, old boy it looks like you're cutting it close."

"I'll be twenty one soon." Davey said, delighting in the fun.

"How soon?" Hilaria interjected in their exchange.

"June fourteenth." Davey and Nicolao answered in unison.

"Nerina I think you should be able to put together a nice party by then." Hilaria suggested to her oldest daughter.

"Yes ma, that's plenty of time." Nerina assured her with a smile. Her parents had given her the money for her events planning business, Evangelista Event Designs.

David turned to let her know that would not be necessary, but fell silent as he faced Nerina. She was smiling, but it did not touch her eyes. For the first time since their introductions he felt like the outsider he was.

"Does anyone want dessert?" Nerina asked breaking her gaze.

David shot a desperate look at Nic; he would burst if he ate anything else.

"No Neri, I think I'll head to the van and get our bags." Nic pushed away from the table and stood up.

David and Narisco followed his example.

"I think Josh and I have had enough." He explained, swinging the boy into his arms.

Nicolao knew then Narisco was eager to speak with him, notwithstanding his uncharacteristic silence, his sibling never passed on dessert.

Davey moved to pick up his empty plate.

"No, leave it, this time. You have had a long day. We will clear the table." Hilaria shooed him as she spoke.

Nieves, a tall, youthful replica of her mother winked mischievously at David, "Why do Nico and Risco get a pass from cleaning?"

"That's because you never leave! Why don't you go away?" Nate Jr. offered.

"Will I get a pass when I come back?"

"That depends on if we missed you enough to cut you some slack. Leave for a year or two and we'll see."

"You'd miss Lil' Nico too much." She challenged. Adult eyes rested on her six year old, named Nicolao.

"You can go ma, I'm staying here." The child responded in earnest.

Nate exploded with laughter. He was the eldest, but he and Sera had no children. They treated his nephew like the son they did not have.

"Okay that's Nico and Davey, what about Risco?" Nieves pressed.

"Do you have the money you borrowed from me?" Narisco asked.

"No." Nieves answered, regretting her challenge.

"Then you owe me, I'll deduct twenty."

The three men left the room as Nieves was questioned about her loan from her brother. Nic turned as they passed the cavernous family room and kissed David. Davey couldn't help himself, and he blushed at the display of affection in front on Nic's family members.

"You're adorable when you turn red like that." Nic guided him in the room and seated him on the center couch, the room had three. He turned the television on and handed Davey the remote. "I'll get the bags, you're exhausted. The nap wasn't long enough, and it looks like it did more harm than good." Nicolao knew David hadn't had enough sleep over the past few nights and he worried over the stress of dealing with his family.

"I'm fine Nic, let's go to the van." Davey said, moving to get up.

"Oh, I'll help Nico; will you keep an eye on Josh for me. If you need something give ma a holler." Narisco deposited his burden on the cushion next to David.

It was obvious the brothers wanted to talk, so he acquiesced.

At the van Nicolao opened the driver's door and sat. Risco was itching to talk to him about something, more than likely it was pops Nic figured. But Narisco enjoyed working in the garage, so Nic didn't understand his obvious distress. What was more puzzling was his younger brother normally kept his own counsel. The family was rarely consulted about his life inner workings; he acted and dealt with his consequences. When his girlfriend became pregnant Narisco convinced her to not terminate the pregnancy, insisting he would take sole responsibility for their child. Alyssa signed over all parental rights and disappeared. Unlike Nieves, his brother called on the family as little as was necessary.

"What's up?" He asked when the younger settled in the passenger's seat.

"Man, David's really short." He announced as he adjusted the seat, and then sat studying the arm rest.

"Risco."

"Nico, we never talk about this stuff." He pressed his lips together.

"Risco, we aren't talking about anything now."

Narisco ran his fingers through his short hair. "No one ever talked about the fact that you dated women and men. It's never been a topic of discussion, not once."

Nic wondered if his brother was now some rabid Christian. He doubted he would go to jail if he knocked him around a bit; after all, what good was family if not to knock some sense into one another from time to time.

"Because I brought David home you think this should be open to discussion?" His voice was the same alarming quiet as it was in Jeremy's office.

Narisco realized what the tone signaled immediately. "No! David is a good guy, you can tell. He's something special, his face is so expressive, blue eyes, pink lips, and he's thin, but damned sexy."

Nicolao's head snapped sideways as he bolted upright. He had to look at his brother to know if he was reading him right. Had he been checking out his David?

"I'm not interested; I mean ma said he's my little brother, so I know hands off."

"Narisco, 'ma said', 'ma said', who gives a shit what ma said. Yeah, he's your brother because he's mine!" God his family had boundary issues. "And since when are you into men?"

Narisco plucked imaginary lint from his shirt. "Since always Nico, I've always been scared of standing out; I've never been like you."

Nicolao forgot his annoyance, seeing Narisco retreat. He was twenty five, only four years younger than him, and they had always been very different. Nic was made with a love of danger and excitement. Risco, to any observer, was gregarious and funny, but at his core he was sensitive and thoughtful.

It never occurred to Nic to hide his relationships with either sex from his family. When asked by his mother if there was anyone in his kindergarten class he wanted to marry he replied yes, Angie Morales. When pressed what he would do if Angie declined, he told her he would marry Charles McElroy. Pop asked if that was a good idea, and he responded why not. That, as far as he knew, was the only time they spoke of it.

"I'm not confident like you are. I keep thinking how will this affect Josh? I mean dating when you're a single parent is rough, but how many men are up to raising a kid."

"Raising a kid? Aren't you getting ahead of yourself? You have to date woman and men before..." Nic stopped; the smaller man was shaking his head.

"No, Nico, no more women. I'm gay not bi. But I can't do the clubs. I know I want what you and David have."

"What exactly do you think that is?"

Narisco snorted, "Are you kidding me? That kiss was nauseatingly sweet, good move not going for tongue; he'd have died from embarrassment. But you two are talking without saying anything already, you did it all through dinner, and look how you both just left the table. It may be months, but you already have hive mind. You're just like Nate n' Sera and Ma n' Pop."

Nicolao smiled, it was obvious that the only thing he could see when he looked at David was forever.

"Narisco you know ma and pop will support you. What do you need?"

His brother's eyes were almost black they were so dark, "I need my brother to tell me it's going to be okay. That he doesn't think I'm a coward for not being as honest and brave as he's been my entire life."

Nicolao saw his brother's fear, even in a clan like the Evangelista's the possibility of rejection for one fault or another felt real. Nic reached over and pulled his little brother in a tight, awkward embrace. When he let him go tears glistened in his brother's eyes.

"I haven't told you enough how proud I am of you, for being such a good father to Joshua. You are a good man, one of the best people I know. You aren't a coward; if anything had been done differently you wouldn't be the man you are. And that man is damned impressive. You will find the right person for you because you believe they're out there, and that belief is half the battle. I love you Narisco, and I promise you everything will be alright."

Nic watched as his brother wiped his eyes. He ran away from his family a great deal. They were always there to support him, he questioned if he was as supportive of them as he could be. Narisco was in need of someone to not just accept him, but understand what his challenges would be. Why hadn't he kept in closer touch with his siblings? Aside from the fact Risco admitted to scoping out David as talent.

"You want to talk to the rest of the family?" Nicolao queried, he would stand beside his brother to shield him if necessary. Nerina was consumed by appearances, and Nieves had no clue when jokes became cruel.

"No, this visit is about getting to know David. I needed to tell you first... as always. Come on, let's get these bags out. We've left David in there, and Vess was looking to start trouble." Narisco said as he opened the van door.

Davey found himself alone with Joshua. He could hear the Evangelistas in the dining room and kitchen, either eating dessert or cleaning. He took in his surroundings. The family room was massive, with three sofa and two recliners. Pictures lined the walls and the overall feel was of comfort. The house, much like the family, simply welcomed you.

The three year old watched as Davey absently changed channels. When a cartoon appeared on the screen he turned his dark eyes on the holder of the remote. He noticed the look and rested the clicker on the arm of the couch.

"My dad tried to make me drink from a sippy cup." Joshua's r's were not well formed.

Davey nodded his head solemnly, it seemed his choice in entertainment merited him conversation. "I saw you at dinner, you did good not using the sippy cup. You didn't have an accident or anything."

"Yahun, I didn't spill, nobody else has a sippy cup. I have accidents sometime, but I sleep in big boy pull-ups."

David fought back his smile, the little boy was serious. "I don't have those kinds of accidents, but I do have bad dreams."

"Me too, poppy got me a night light."

"Does that work? Maybe I should get one."

"I can tell Uncle Nico for you."

"Thanks, Joshua."

They both turned their attention to the vivid colors on the screen. After a few minutes Joshua yawned, stretched and climbed unbidden into Davey's lap.

A few minutes later Nic's parents and Nate came into the room. Davey felt self-conscious for having the child in his lap. But they appeared delighted to see him with Joshua.

"You are a natural David. Joshua hardly goes to anyone but his poppy." Hilaria explained as she sat down.

A natural, Davey thought. The only children he had been around as an adult were Averie and Abel. Breezy said they smelled fear like any animal, the key to kids was not to show fear, and allow them to come to you. She claimed it worked for pets and the young. As usual her quirky logic worked. He would have to thank her later.

Narisco and Nicolao finally re-entered the house. Nic brought in their bags and his brother carefully handled the gift bags.

Narisco paused when he saw his son settled peacefully on David's lap. Damn if he wasn't Nico's he'd go for it.

"Special." He muttered to Nic as he put the bags down.

Davey heard the one word utterance and raised questioning eyes to Nic. He smiled and shook his head, indicating it was nothing. Davey could feel he missed something. And there was an emotion in Nic's face, he was having trouble placing. That coupled with the long stare from Narisco made him feel unsettled.

Nieves, Nerina and Sera joined them in the family room. Nicolao had David hand Narisco his son back and they gave presents to the females in the family. Nieves punched Nicolao's arm for the gift of the 'prettiest ashtray she'd ever seen'. Nerina squealed with delight over her elephant encrusted music box.