Dexter's Renaissance Ch. 05-06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,607 Followers

"Okay, you know best. Any more problems with Flannery?"

"No ... he's been invisible, thankfully. I don't think he ever comes into this department from what I've learned."

"Good ... just as well. So sit down with the procurement department on Monday and get this stuff ordered. You'll have my authorization by e-mail along with a copy to whomever you're working with."

I gave Tom the name of the head of procurement and her e-mail address. I was grateful for the swift approval of my request. It was one of those things that made it pleasant to work for him. He trusted me, didn't micro-manage and didn't dither. I also knew getting quick approval was an atypical action in larger companies.

I began holding meetings with all the design staff at 4:30 in the afternoon. My purpose was to keep them informed daily on what we were doing and why. I also wanted to ask for their opinions on a number of issues from the type of chairs we provided to the lunchroom facilities. They were a pretty quiet bunch for the first two meetings but with a little coaching by Terry and Petra, the ice was broken and we began to get a lot of feedback.

I formed a lunch-room committee to come up with a plan for the room and a budget. I didn't have any trouble getting volunteers. I formed another committee to decide on whether to introduce staggered work hours. Would some people like to start earlier and leave earlier? A third committee was struck to examine the work stations for possible improvements in the future.

By late Friday afternoon I had the entire twelve design staffers onside and enthusiastic about what was going to happen. I also had a visit from Brigit, saying some of the girls in accounting and procurement, along with herself, would be happy to volunteer on any of the committees. That felt good as well.

Janice Meriwether was the manager of procurement, a veteran of provincial government service. She was easily in her fifties but a very active and motivated woman. Turning her loose on some projects would be fun to watch. I shocked her with the purchase order request for equipment and software along with the attached authorization.

"We couldn't get a pencil sharpened around here without Flannel-pants' approval," she said seriously.

I burst out laughing of course. So that was his nickname.

I'd also broken through the formality barrier. I was Dex and I addressed those people I came into contact with by their first names as well. It took most of the week for them to get used to it but again, it was another popular move.

When I opened my apartment door on Friday evening I was whipped. I'd compressed about two weeks work into one but I felt it was necessary for me to hit the ground running to impress upon the staff that this wasn't some quick-and-dirty exercise. We were here to make things happen and it may have been that the most significant thing I had done that week was to do something about the lunchroom.

During the second week, I wanted to establish relations with the engineering staff. I didn't know what to expect because few of the people in my department had any contact with them on a personal basis. It was strictly business. I had other objectives. I sought out Janice Meriwether and invited her for coffee on Tuesday morning.

"I have a list of the engineers in our office but I haven't met any of them yet. Can you give me some idea of what to expect?"

I don't think she was ready for my question. I was asking her opinion on senior staff and I'm guessing that was "out of bounds" in the past.

She stumbled and stammered a bit but then I guess she decided I wasn't trying to trick her.

"You've already met Dick Zarek and Rueben Golowitz, the senior men. Both are good guys who tolerate Flannery. I understand they welcomed the merger. No surprise there. Why do you want to know?"

I explained the relationship between the designers and engineers in our Vancouver office and I saw her nodding approval as I spoke.

"I think they'd welcome that. The old regime here had a pretty rigid class structure and mixing with the other staff and designers was not encouraged. Might give them ideas, don't you know," she smirked.

"Do you see any problem if I approach the two partners and invite them to lunch?"

She shook her head. "None that I can think of. I think it's a hell of a good idea. I'd like to do some of those same things in accounting and procurement too. We're supposed to be all one team but we haven't been operating that way. If you can crack that open I'm all for it."

"Well, that's an objective that isn't exactly in my job description," I said, "but it's something I'd like to do if I can."

"And I'd be happy to help any way I can," she smiled.

"Thanks, Janice, I appreciate that."

I left a voice mail message with Rueben and Dick inviting them to lunch on Thursday, my treat. I let them know I wanted to discuss the improvements in my department and "other issues." I was happy to get a single response from Dick Zarek saying they both would be pleased to accept my invitation. Mission accomplished.

Both men came to my office just before noon on Thursday. After a couple minutes small talk, we left for the elevators and lunch.

I chose a middle range restaurant not far from the office and both men indicated that they had eaten there a few times and it was good. I cheated and ordered a glass of wine, something I almost never did at lunch. My guests followed my lead. I wanted this to be informal and comfortable for all of us. It turned out just the way I'd hoped.

We had just finished our lunches when Rueben spoke up.

"You know, Dex, I think this is the first time anyone has ever made an attempt at desegregating the departments. About damn time too," he said forcefully.

"I agree," Dick added. "Your side of the business has been getting the short end of the stick for a while now and it has affected us. What you plan to do with design is really way overdue but to get us involved with your people is just as important."

"I'm surprised you've gotten along as well as you have with so little contact," I said.

"Oh ... we've had contact all right but it's been all one-sided. Us giving the design people what we want and then waiting for it. A lot of our younger engineers would benefit from being closer to the design people. Less likely to come up with underdeveloped work."

When we walked back to our office, I felt we had really set the groundwork for an improved relationship with the engineering group. Desegregation, Rueben called it. Pretty heavy word, I thought.

To be continued

Edited by ErikThread and DaveT with my thanks for their thoroughness and helpful suggestions.

coaster2
coaster2
2,607 Followers