Doomed Dynasty Pt. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Reece's reaction to that was to drive faster back to the apartment. They later went to a club.

As Cilla and Reece entered their motel room at Bundenberg Cilla was already stripping off her polo, bra and shorts.

"Fuck tennis and fuck touring a grotty rum distillery," she said, and climbed on to the bed. She then performed a novel invitation. Planting her heels apart and lifting up on her hands behind her, raising her tummy towards the ceiling, Cilla called, "Come lick my cunt darling."

Reece hesitated for fully one tenth of a second. He then launched himself at her and Cilla squealed.

She had turned to look at him and as he began munching Cilla said, "God you have a really big one. Don't keep me waiting too long before feeding that into me."

God, a bitch on heat, Reece leered to himself.

On the way to the airport for their flight back to New Zealand Alton had cracked, "What do I tell Trish when I get home, that Phil and I spent all the time in bars and golf courses while Reece spend much of his time touring up the coast up a lady to die for?"

"Don't say anything you'll regret," warned Reece, "because you and Trish will be dining out with her next month."

"Right," mumbled Alton, taking a swig of beer.

Phil stroked his chin thoughtfully. Why was Cilla coming back to New Zealand so soon? She's only been to visit them less than a month ago? Okay, perhaps Reece had enjoyed shafting Cilla but why did it look as if their little fling was going to recommence? He recalled that the couple had returned to the apartment about 6.30 am that morning, not touching each other. In fact they looked as if they had just returned from a stroll along Noosa Beach.

Cilla had said that she'd better get breakfast as their aircraft would be leaving late morning. From where Phil was sitting reading the previous day's newspaper, he could see into the kitchen: his sister was standing by the bench wiping her eyes. Phil had bristled. He'd kill the little bastard if he'd hurt his sister. He looked at Reece, who was staring out across the river, looking glum. Well, well.

When catching Reece's eye, Phil flicked his head towards the ranch slider. He followed Reece out on to the desk. "That was a rotten trick taking off with Cilla like that when we came here as mates for golf and a good time together."

"I know Phil, and I'm sorry. It... it just happened."

Phil felt he'd come on too strongly when he saw Reece's head drop. The guy was suffering.

"Look, sorry mate. We've all had flings, but this time my sister was involved. It was a bit hard to take with her having lost her baby and even her interest in... well, you know what I'm getting at. I'd knocked the stuffing out of you had you hurt her, but it looks as if she's only upset because you're leaving her and you look as if you're ready to walk the plank. Cheer up, my boy. There're plenty more dames out there, and Miss Special is bound to be one."

"What do you mean?"

"You damn well know what I mean Reece. Chase wasn't good enough for you and you're looking for that perfect soul mate. Well don't repeat the mistake and pick another Australian. Find a warm-hearted and caring Kiwi girl," advised Phil, quite overlooking that his sister was New Zealand-born.

Reece had looked at him forlornly, smiling weakly.

So thought Phil, sipping a pre-lunch martini as the Queensland Coast disappeared behind the aircraft. Why was Cilla jumping into an aircraft in one month's time just for some humping? Simple they'd taken to each other! He shook his head thinking Cilla would get hurt. But perhaps not. Reece was not giving the impression of being a holidaying sex fiend sowing his oats.

Reece as his brother-in-law? Hadn't his own mother told him some lucky girl would snap up Phil's handsome and wealthy friend and she'd rather fancied Reece's father when she was young?

Well little Cilla might need some help, thought Phil, looking at Reece who was staring through the window into clouds, his drink untouched. He must tell darling Amanda not to let anyone have their crib (cabin) up at the lakes while Cilla was visited. There's nothing much to do up there outside the ski season except to go hiking, and he knew Reece didn't like walking so that would cut back their options.

* * *

Reece arrived home and Courtney was concerned he had lost weight and didn't look well, his eyes looked dull and sunken. She didn't ask what the problem was fearing he might say he had been into illegal substances. She didn't want to know about that.

The next day she thought he looked a little improved and ceased worrying.

Picking the right moment, Reece handed his mother a cup of coffee. "Mom would you be upset if I had a nice young woman I met in Queensland come and stay?"

He waited anxiously and then saw her smile.

"You're a man now. What you get up to in that department is none of my business, well almost none. As she's from Queensland I won't know her so won't be embarrassed if my friends find out about this."

Delighted with his mother's positive response Reece pressed ahead. "Actually she's not Australian. She's Alice Crown's daughter Priscilla but she's been known as Cilla since being re-named by her new stepmother."

"I know her, at least I've met her once of twice when she was visiting Alice. She look's a lovely girl but I wouldn't have thought that she would have been your type."

"And what is my type?" asked Reece, but Courtney was far too sensible to be drawn.

"Well you know better than I do. When's this girl coming to visit us?"

"She's not a girl, mum. She turns twenty-eight next month.

The next morning, like his father before him, Matt had a sudden heart attack on the beach. He slumped to the sand, life ebbing from his body.

Everyone was shocked.

It was so sudden and came without any warning. He'd been to Doc Mackenzie for a routine medical check three weeks earlier and claimed everything was fine and when Courtney met Doc in the supermarket he confirmed Matt had come through all checks with any concerns being raised.

No one came to the funeral from Wyoming. Martha was amid a divorce from Lukas who'd found a younger woman and Milly had only days before undergone a hysterectomy. In some ways Courtney was pleased as really those women would have been much too much for her. With Patricia so deeply grieving she would be all Courtney could handle at the funeral.

The next day after Matt's death she went to the café and had lunch. Courtney asked the waitress to tell Vikki that Mrs Curtis wished to see her.

Vikki, dressed in black, came from the kitchen, took one look at Courtney who had stood, and rushed to her. They women hugged, both weeping silently. It was the start of a friendship that would last until Vikki's death.

The Bugle, with Ali Packard, mother of three, now editor, described it as the largest funeral in Miranda's history. The newspaper's obituary on Matt, written by Ali, was headed, 'Death of a Local Colossus, aged 57'.

Reece was not unduly upset by his father's death and most unexpectedly became the so-called 'tower of strength' in standing by his mother and grandmother and taking calls, and organizing things at his mother's request, dealing with the media and giving close friends times when they could visit.

Courtney was ever so grateful while Patricia was only partially aware of what was going on, spending lengthy periods 'talking' to her late husband Collier Curtis. It would be two months before Patricia emerged from her grief but she'd never regain her former robustness whereas Courtney picked up very quickly.

* * *

A month after the funeral Courtney went for a walk along the beach with Reece, aware many years ago Patricia would have been in that same situation with Matt. She said to Reece, "I wish to tell you all the loose ends of Matt's estate are being attended to and I have instructed our lawyer when that has been done to begin the next stage of negotiating a settlement with the tax department. Settlement will require us to sell assets to meet tax demands."

"Well mother, it must be a relief to have that underway. It will have been a worrying time for you."

"Yes, quite. But that's not what I want to tell you."

Reece's stomach lurched. Either she was going to tell him that she looked forward to getting married again or was going to hand over some of the estate to him. He hoped it was the latter.

"I have received advice that you have handled the day to day property management very well Reece. In fact the accountant's report is so complimentary that it implies you have a better touch at business than even your father did."

"I'm pleased about that and am perhaps surprised you had your doubts," he laughed. "I do have a degree in business administration."

"Yes of course and it's true I had a few doubts but they concerned your ability to work alongside your father who could be so difficult at times. Well I don't want you waiting for me to die until you inherit the farm and the vineyard land Reece, so I would like you to make an appointment for us to go in and sign the papers. Everything is ready to go."

"Oh that's wonderful of you. I'll going to dig out those reports on the 17-acre block to see when wine-making is expected to commence. They have done considerable development up there. Dad had told me vineyard will be called Courtney's Vineyard and one of the wines will simply be called, Matt's Red. The principal white will be called Hay Paddock Sauvignon Blanc."

Courtney chuckled, "Come on. Courtney's Vineyard doesn't have the right ring to it, though Matt's Red and Hay Paddock certainly do."

"What does it matter? It will mean something to you and me. We are probably due to be pouring more money into the venture soon and we must do it. The project will be a living memorial to dad."

"You'll have enough money Reece. One we secure probate I intended handing everything over to you, just as Patricia did half a lifetime ago to Matt."

Reece was speechless. Courtney took his hand. "There are only two conditions: One, that you care for me for as long as I remaining living in this house and support me financially until my death."

Nodding, Reece assured her that he would. "And the second condition?"

"My Aunt Elizabeth is not well ..."

"Her Parkinson's has got worse?"

"Yes, I'm sad to say. I have spoken to her, and she'd agreed. I want you to bring her over here, Reece, and pay for her support until it's no longer required. She wants to go into the Miranda Retirement Village and to stay there for as long as possible."

"She can stay there until the end Courtney. "We'll finance a new wing for maximum care of the aged and the terminally ill."

"Good boy Reece. That's my thinking exactly. I wasn't going to pressure you until the time was approaching, but I'm proud that you have this humanitarian streak in you. I've always known it was there. The special unit require is called a hospice. May I suggest that you call it the Curtis Hospice?

"As a memorial to us and those who went before us?"

"Yes Matt, I know I'm becoming rather sentimental as I grow old but it seems fitting."

"I'm right with you mother. Um but can I have Sophia's old flat above the garages. Then I can come and go as I wish without disturbing you two, other than the sound of the car."

"That's fine. I'll clean it up tomorrow and make up the bed for you there."

"Oh mum, about that name for the vineyard. Perhaps I should talk to our Australian partners. Do you think Faraway Vineyards and Winery would be more appropriate?"

"Yes I do. Please attend to that. That's a perfect name."

After dinner his grandmother said she was off to her apartment. "I'll leave you two to catch up. Ask you mother about her paintings."

Patricia kissed them and left.

"Paintings?" inquired Reece.

"Oh it's going very well now that I have converted exclusively to landscapes."

"Any successes?"

"The odd one of two."

"Such as?"

"Oh Reece, in telling you it sounds as if I'm boasting. But since you asked, you may remember years ago someone entered one of my rose paintings in the national art awards, and I won the Promising Newcomer Other Than Portrait or Landscape section?"

"Yes, and you got a certificate and 'a miserable ten pounds' as dad used to say. What about it?"

"Well this year I won the New Zealand Tourism Award for Best New Zealand Landscape Painting. I received no certificate but a cash award of $10,000. It's only the second time my paintings have been entered in a competition."

"Excellent, and what else?"

"Oh someone from one of the embassies called on mummy and daddy and saw my paintings on their walls. He phoned from Wellington in the morning, flew over and was here only two hours later looking at what I had to offer. He chose one was out through the door with it to a waiting car within 20 minutes.

"How much?"

"Well, it was quite a large painting, I did it last year when we were at Tory Channel."

"How much?"

"My asking price $12,500."

"Holy Moses mother that puts you near the top bracket for a New Zealand artist apart from those in the league of Goldie, Hodgkins, Angus, Hotere and McCahon."

"Really? That's nice. But to tell you the truth I mainly get around $5000 which I think is terrible as I really paint for personal enjoyment. But Helen Isaacs and Liz King who have a good knowledge about art and sometimes Tony Tancred who had a good commercial mind give me their opinions on pricing, which is a help."

"Tony Tancred, you still see them?"

"Oh yes, usually once every other month, more often in the summer. I'm going boating with them on Sunday. You are welcome to come with me if you wish, they won't mind. We still own half of the boat."

"Really? Will their daughter be there?"

Courtney looked quizzically at her son. "Probably Rhone will be there as she comes home most weekends. Aren't you interest in Felix as well?"

"What does he do?"

"He's in charge of the information system for a big legal firm, and doing very well I believe."

Pouring himself another cup of coffee, Reece asked casually, "And Rhone?"

"She's finished her degree and is working in the head office of a major bank in Wellington. You may be interested to know that she seems to have lots of boyfriends but nobody in particular the last time Raquel talked to me about her."

"That nice for her. Did you want more coffee?"

* * *

On Sunday Reece drove Courtney to the wharf where Tony Tancred already had the diesel engine of the Cresta Dora turning over. Patricia was not a fan if fishing trips, so did not accompany them.

Raquel joined Tony on the after-deck and waved a welcome. "Hullo, Reece," she called. "Nice to see you again."

Waving cheerfully back to her, Reece was disappointed. He'd been looking forward to a day on the water with lovely Rhone who by now should have long shed that puppy fat. Never mind, it was still worth watching her mother despite gathering wrinkles.

"Hullo Mrs Curtis, hi, Reece," called a deep, confident voice. Reece distinctly felt his pulse rate lift.

The puppy fat had gone, along with her long hair and nervousness. His first impression was of slender legs that seemed to go on forever, well at least until the covering of her terry robe which ended two hand spans below her hip bones.

Reece had to lick his lips moist before calling, "Hi."

Their eyes met and they exchanged smiles.

He noted her hair of course, cut very short and coloured a steely red that he didn't really fancy. His gaze travelled downwards, she had breasts but what size he couldn't determine because of the damn robe. He hoped she was wearing a bikini, either that, or nothing.

Meanwhile Rhone was updating her memory of Reece. She would have noted he'd not grown any taller, being about her height and he looked to be very fit without any sign of flab. Long streaky blonde and brown hair hung down below his cap and he needed a shave, but otherwise looked okay.

After 30 minutes of leisurely motoring down the sound, Tony turned into a narrower sunken valley, a favourite fishing spot. Patricia came out from the saloon with paints and easel that she kept on board and went to the foredeck to set up. Tony had already placed a stool there for her.

Rhone and Reece stayed inside the saloon chatting and sipping white wine while Tony and Raquel baited up and cast out over the stern under a striped canvas awning.

"The fishers are thirsty," called Raquel, lolling in her canvas chair. Reece responded by opening a bottle of wine and carrying it out in an ice bucket along with two glasses.

He dumped the ice-bucket on her lap and she squealed and almost toppled off her chair.

"We swimming over to the beach," called Rhone. "I suppose you can still swim country boy?"

Rhone climbed on to the top of the saloon and dropped her robe. She was topless and had a modest green and gold bikini bottom piece. She dived gracefully into the water.

"Don't you think you should close your mouth and swim after her," Raquel laughed.

Tearing off his shirt, Reece launched himself over the railing, executing quite a nice dive. Seconds later he was spluttering a curse as he returned to the boat and climbed on to the landing platform to hand over his watch and wallet to a grinning Tony.

Raquel was in near hysterics.

Lying on the beach on their bellies, Rhone said, "Sorry to hear that your marriage didn't work out. Most guys I know would have lined up to take her off your hands."

"Thanks and I'm sorry also, but there you are. Life must go on."

"Does that mean you're back into circulation?"

"Whaddya mean?"

"Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll but not necessarily in that order."

"Who with?"

Rhone turned to look at him, half sitting up and brushing sand off her left breast.

"Are you thick or something?"

Yeah, a real brick-head, he thought, saying, "I'll pick you up tonight about 8:00."

"Make that 7:00 and we'll go through to Nelson," purred Rhone.

That evening they had only travelled 20 km when Rhone asked Reece to pull off the road.

"Are we stopping for a snog or the real thing?" he leered.

"It's you pick."

"Are you protected?"

"Oooh."

Rhone slipped over her skirt and panties, undid her bra and climbed over Reece to straddle him and complained, "Haven't you got your dick out yet?"

"Sorry," he said, fumbling. "Car sex is usually awkward but you seem to have it worked out. Experienced eh?"

"What do you think?"

Reece grinned and held up his erection and practically purring Phone slipped down on to it and was moist enough to avoid them wishing they'd paused for some foreplay. He pulled up her top to get at her breasts.

They had a leisurely sex session then, another in the car midway through the evening before they went looking for a late-closing restaurant and another later on a rug in the middle of the Tancred's front lawn

It was a slow drive home for Reece. He was tired but elated. It had been a long time since he'd had unconditional sex without the slightest hint of tension. At that moment he thought that Rhone was the most wonderful woman in the world, but then Reece was never noted for being loyal or faithful.

He stood Rhone up the next night, going out with an old pal as pre-arranged. Reece phoned her from the bar to apologise, adding that he really had to commit to his old friend.

Rhone was disappointed and said it didn't really matter, but when she put the phone down she burst into tears. It would be the first of many disappointments inflicted by Reece.

"Oh dear," said Raquel, coming into the room and taking Rhone into her arms. "Bad news?"

Told the reason for Rhone's distress, Raquel comforted her, saying "All men are bastards," and then caught herself, adding "except for your father."

She had another thought, "There are plenty other fish in the sea."