Duplicity Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dominic stared at him. "Right... Yea, you would say that wouldn't you?"

"What does that mean?"

"Oh please, you think I don't know about your little secret romance?"

"What the fuck? How did you?" Sean was shocked. They'd been very discreet.

"Relax bro. The only reason I know is because I know you. For one you haven't gotten into trouble not once and you walk around with this goofy smile on your face."

Sean pursed his mouth and shrugged. "So?"

"So... I figured, if you're not trying to sneak out, you must want to stay in for some reason. And that girl up in the house is the only viable option. Even though I haven't seen her face completely, I can tell she's a stunner. And then the other day, I heard you whistling while you cleaned your M16 out. Whistling! Here's this badass motherfucker, whistling and humming to some old ass R Kelly. I mean, who in the hell whistles? Unless... they're getting some of that good shit."

Sean groaned. "Shut your ass up. It's not like that."

"Right. So tell me... how is it really?" The question had an obvious double meaning.

Sean took another swig of his beer. "None of ya damn business."

Dominic chuckled.

After a long stretch of silence, Sean's thoughts went back to that day. He couldn't wait to get another taste of her. But he had a feeling the captain was on to them, so they decided to not see each other for a couple of days. But he was craving her badly.

"Good for you man. It looks good on you."

"What does?"

"Being in love."

"Fuck you man."

"Oh you can deny it all you want. But that spicy little thing in there has you twisted in knots."

"Yea well there's not much I can do about it, is there?"

"Why the hell not?"

"She's leaving man. She's being transferred to another farm or some shit like that. And doesn't know where she's going or when she'll leave."

"Yo, where there's a will, there's a way. Just talk to her and make sure you're on the same page. As soon as you wrap it up here you can find out what your options are with the U.S. Embassy. One thing I will tell you is... make sure you're serious about her. This isn't some half assed shit you can do for a time and then let her go."

Sean shot him an irritated gaze.

"Alright alright, I just wanted to make sure. So SINCE you are serious then you'll have talk to her parents. There will probably be a dowry or a bride's price you'll have to pay. This culture is very much based on honor and the honor you bring to your family. I've learned that kindness is remembered but insults are never forgotten. But make sure no one finds out about you two until you're ready to take it further. I ain't gonna lie, it will be hell in every way trying to make your lives fit; you're coming from two completely different worlds. But if you love her enough... you can make it work."

Sean thought about what he said for a minute. "You sound like you know what you're talking about..."

Dominic's eyebrows gathered. He took a long swig of his beer but remained silent.

Sean nodded; accepting that his friend wasn't going to elaborate. But his mind was going a million miles a minute. He could see it... a future with Khatira. A small house in Jersey, little kids running around, a dog.... and his favorite afternoon chai. He smiled to himself. Maybe it was possible. Maybe it was possible for people like him to be happy.

Suddenly Dominic raised his beer bottle to his in a toast. "To love."

Sean looked at the beer bottle before he clinked it to his. "To freedom."

_____

It took 3 months after their arrival for al-Qaeda to take over the compound.

As soon as the majority of the soldiers left, al-Qaeda moved in. As if guided by a single malevolent force, they moved through the darkened corners of the fields.

Ramirez was one of the men tasked with guarding the main access point. If that entry point would have been secured, they could've had a chance.

But Ramirez had not kept his word or gotten help. He had actually gotten much worse. One of his contacts gave him a "new and improved batch". It was the best he'd ever had... and ever since then he fiends for it constantly. He didn't wait until nighttime for his hit anymore; he'd sneak away and shoot up every chance he'd get. He avoided Sean like the plague. He was caught in a downward spiral and didn't want to admit he needed help.

And so on that fateful day, when he looked out through his binoculars while on post; he didn't see or sense any danger. His high had numbed him out completely. He looked like he was in and out of sleep.

And so the rebel troops quickly and efficiently swarmed through the barriers, killing anything in their way. They didn't even bother to wake Ramirez from his stupor. It was as if they knew all along he would be no trouble.

When the soldiers realized they were under attack, they fought bravely. They killed many enemies and some were badly wounded. But in the end they were simply overpowered. They didn't stand a chance. The 20 remaining soldiers, captain, language specialists, Farzin Khan and all the farm workers were rounded up, tied and made to kneel.

Sean went through every possible escape scenario but there was just not any clear alternative. He worried when he didn't see Khatira, he wondered where she was. He hoped to God she'd escaped unharmed.

Two armed men with bushy beards and head coverings approached them. One was taller and stronger than the other. The tall strong man stood impatiently like a statue watching all the prisoners squirm on their knees. He wore a bored expression completely at odds with the other man. The shorter man looked animated and cruel. He seemed to be excited for the opportunity.

Without warning, the shorter man, came up to the first soldier at the end of the line and drew his gun. Before anyone could say a word, he shot a bullet through his head. They all gasped in horror as the soldier fell back to the floor with a thud.

"Good afternoon. My name is Arshad and he is Haseem. And now that I have your attention, who is your leader?"

...

"If you cooperate, you might be spared."He waited for the language specialist to translate for him. When he did not, he punched him loudly in the face and kicked him in the stomach. Ajmal cried out and groaned. He doubled over from the pain in his stomach but he reluctantly repeated the words in English.

"That would be me, I am the captain." The deep voice responded without hesitation. Haseem nodded and motioned for the men to bring Farzin Khan in as well. He turned on his heels and walked away.

The armed men dragged the captain and Farzin along towards the house.

__________

When the captain came back, Sean realized their situation was helpless. Farzin Khan never returned. They were all still tied up and on their knees; with guards on each side of them.

To onlookers the captain walked up with dignity and resolve but Sean knew better. His shoulders were slightly dropped and he looked completely spooked.

Whatever he saw or talked to must have been very bad. And yet he seemed to have come to terms with the unavoidable. As he walked, he made eye contact and discretely nodded to each of his men. The captain kneeled by Sean and hung his head low.

"Captain?" Sean whispered as quietly as he could.

His commander slowly turned his head at the sound of Sean's voice. Suddenly his eyes darted around and he got a rush of energy. He quickly said, "Sean-remember-trust-no-one-but-yourself. I-have-faith-in-you. Do-anything-you-have-to... to-survive-and-then-make-this-right. They're-going-to-make-you-"

---

---

---

The booming noise echoed in Sean's ear.

It was a vicious firecracker sound he knew all too well.

His breath stopped.

His heartbeat slowed.

His voice was lost.

Caught between horror and desperation; the throbbing stillness froze him. One beat at a time.

---

---

---

"NOOOOO!!!!!!" Sean roared when he finally found his voice.

He saw his fallen captain with a shot through the back of his head. Specks of blood that landed on the side of his face were still warm.

Desperation turned into rage. Complete and utter rage. Sean's face turned bright red and he shook in anger. The veins in his neck and arms bulged in the most distracting way.

"Let this be a lesson to you all. This will happen to you if you do not accept our terms."Arshad's vile voice rang out.

They didn't realize Sean was a ticking time bomb. In one full swoop, he got up and whipped himself around while still tied. With all his strength he head-butted the surprised guard next to him and knocked him out. With pure adrenaline coursing through his veins, he attacked the guard on his other side. He side-kicked him and he fell over. Sean jumped on his chest with all his weight. He stomped on him with both feet ferociously until the man coughed up blood and stopped moving.

But before Sean could move on to the next guard, he felt this intense pain on the side of his head. And his world turned black...

...

When Sean came to, he wished he would just have been killed. Nothing could have prepared him for what he saw. All the remaining soldiers in his company and the farm workers were dead. Body parts all lay on the ground around him. They made him sit in between the dismembered corpuses; patiently waiting for him to awaken. The strong stench of death permeated his insides. Sean felt dizzy and everything was spinning; he turned and vomited on the floor next to him. He closed his eyes and concentrated on his breathing.

"Wake up you pig. Your time has come."Arshad said in a disgusted tone.

Haseem still wore the same blank stoic expression. But suddenly he turned on his heels and walked towards the house as if his boredom had reached its limit.

Sean's eyes were still closed.

"Your fellow soldiers all decided to die rather than join our cause. They were useless anyway. But you... you I have left for last. I have a special treat for you."

Haphazardly they made him stand and dragged him up the hill towards the fields like a ragdoll.

It was the early hours of the morning and still pitch dark out. Eerie torches of fire lighted their path along the way. They marched until they got to the now barren land. They forced him to his knees once again. The moist ground smelled rotten and moldy. Nothing like the fresh pretty poppy fields Sean remembered when he first arrived.

His head hung low and it seemed that his limbs wouldn't move at will. He wondered if they shot him up with something. Sean tried to regain his strength but that last blow left him defenseless. He kept his eyes closed as he tried to block the gruesome images he'd just seen. Those fallen soldiers he'd served shoulder to shoulder with... savagely murdered. They didn't deserve to die that way.

"I know you know our language, pig. And do you know how I know?"The familiar cruel voice interrupted his thoughts.

Sean heard a woman whimper and opened his eyes. And to his horror there was Khatira; bound and gagged on her knees in front of him. She was crying uncontrollably. Her large brown eyes seemed to beg his forgiveness.

It all came rushing to him now. She knew all this was going to happen. Their last night together was her solemn farewell.

Sean hardened his gaze. And all he felt was betrayal.

Sean clenched his teeth and his stomach's contents threatened to spill over again.

"Ah... I see you're putting two and two together. Khatira has been a very bad girl. You see she was supposed to only do just as she was told. But she didn't do that, did she? Tell him. Tell him what you did."He removed her gag and forced her to speak.

She let out a muffled groan. "I'm so sorry Sean. T-t-they had my family. They took them hostage and forced me to spy for them. I-I-I had to protect them."

Arshad laughed loudly. He obviously understood Khatira's words in English but continued to speak in Pashto.

"Stupid girl. You never had a chance. You have disgraced your family in the worst of ways. If you actually cared about them, you never would have allowed this to happen. All you had to do was continue to report what you learned. But you stopped doing that, didn't you?"

"Let her go..." Sean dangerously whispered.

"Oh, you actually sound threatening... you're just an arrogant little boy. I don't know what the Emir sees in you and I don't care. What did you think... you could just come here and take what's ours?! Just like the poppy that once grew here... you'll regret ever touching her. Our little Khatira was to be married to one of our commanders and would have been bound by our laws. But now you have soiled her. No one will want her. And for that, I have the great honor of killing you both; no matter what the Emir has planned for you. Our laws must be obeyed."

He swung the back of his rifle at Sean's face with a blow. Sean grunted as he fell to the side from the impact. The side of his face started to swell quickly.

Although his head was ringing and he was dizzy; Sean shook it off and slowly and painfully got up to his knees again. Seeing Khatira in danger gave him a desperate burst of adrenaline. He refused to show weakness to this animal.

"No please stop! Please let my family and Sean go. I will do anything you ask. Please just don't hurt him or my family."

Arshad laughed wickedly. He shook his head and mockingly said,"Your family is dead... every last one of them. I spared them from having to live with the dishonor of knowing their daughter is nothing but a whore for the enemy."

Khatira let out a high pitch scream and trembled as she sobbed. She fell over inconsolably.

Sean's fury held his tears from falling. He felt more rage because he was so helpless. His right eye had gotten so swollen he could barely see out of it. He couldn't move and felt sluggish; and all he wanted to do was comfort Khatira.

"Are you feeling sleepy pig boy?"Arshad said in a sing song voice. With the tip of his rifle he poked Sean's chest as if approaching a tranquilized lion at the zoo."I have to say you are as strong as an ox. With what we gave you, you shouldn't be able to keep your eyes open. And when it wears off, all you'll be able to think about is wanting more."

"I'm gonna fucking enjoy killing you."Sean whispered; making sure he understood every word.

Arshad looked at him for a second but then erupted in laughter."Ah... you do speak Pashto! I hadn't heard you until now. Not bad. Your accent is very good. But tell me this, you are bound, drugged and surrounded by armed men. How will you kill me?"

Silence.

"It's ok to admit defeat my friend. Today will be the last day you breathe. So say your last words... go on."He motioned a tall strong man standing behind Sean to approach. He was wielding a large gleaming sword.

Admitting his situation was helpless; he closed his eyes and made a short prayer for his family; specifically for his sister Sienna back home. She was shy and sensitive; and the best sister he could ever ask for. He never realized until that moment how much he missed her. What wouldn't he give for just another hour with her? He prayed she would survive losing him.

When he opened his eyes, Khatira stared into his. God she was beautiful. The big yellow sun was rising behind her. The enchanting reds, yellows and oranges surrounded her dark silhouette like a halo. Even tear-faced and petrified; her tanned skin glistened in the sunlight. Her chocolate eyes probed his as if communicating what she felt for him. In that moment, he thanked God she would be the last image he saw.

"I love you." She whispered.

Time slowed down. They breathed deeply and erratically as they waited for what was to come.

"Che bass har wakht sta pa stargo ke dub wey."(I wish to be lost in your eyes for all of eternity)Sean said as he waited for his eternal blow.

---

---

---

Sean's heart beat loudly in anticipation. When his gaze left Khatira's he noticed Arshad had taken a step back and the executioner's sword was now suspended in mid-air. Haseem had returned and now held his hand up as if halting the very sword from striking. Sean inhaled and exhaled.

"Interesting."Haseem muttered. He arched his eyebrow as he seemed to be deeply intrigued with Sean's final words. He seemed impressed Sean would know such a native phrase. He nodded at the man holding the sword signaling him to step back.

"What are you doing Haseem? They must die! They've offended Allah and our Holy laws. They must pay the price!"Arshad cried out.

Haseem looked at him with his signature blank expression."Did I ask for your opinion?"

Silence.

"You know very well the Emir has given us instructions with this one."

He turned towards Sean and said,"You can be useful to us. Ally yourself with us willingly or by force..."

"Go. To. Hell."Sean's said through clenched teeth.

Haseem seemed to almost crack a smile."Do not think that I am the one to be trifled with. I will give you 30 seconds to accept my conditions or he will kill the girl before your very eyes."At his words, Arshad became animated. He grabbed the sword and brandished it at her. Khatira closed her eyes and whimpered.

"Leave her alone motherfucker."There really wasn't another way out of this.

"I'll do whatever you ask of me. Just let her go."Sean said in a tired voice. He was ready to tell them anything they wanted to hear. He could play along until he found a way to get Khatira out of there. He didn't know what they had planned but he was sure it involved acts of terror. All Sean could think about was keeping Khatira safe.

Haseem assessed him for a moment and for some reason he believed him. Sean knew he would never trust this man but he believed he would keep his word. They had a mutual understanding.

"Let them go."He motioned the guard next to Sean and Arshad who stood next to Khatira.

As the guard was untying him, Sean looked at Khatira. They had been on their knees this whole time. He didn't know what he just agreed to but he would strategize later. Right now he needed to get her out of there. She cracked a smile at him.

"It's going to be ok baby. We're going to be ok." Sean sighed in relief and Khatira nodded in agreement.

Suddenly Sean caught a glimpse of Arshad and the shiny sword he was holding. The angry man's hands clenched it tightly.

"For Allah!"Arshad screamed. Before Sean could even form a thought, the long sword whipped through the air and sliced Khatira's throat.

Khatira eyes fluttered up and crimson blood quickly poured from her neck.

Sean's eyes widened. "NOOOO!!!" Although he screamed his voice sounded hoarse and weak.

By then he was fully untied and he ran towards her and caught her small body before she landed on the ground. He protectively gathered her in his arms. She coughed and sounded like she was chocking, her body was shaking. Her half-lidded eyes looked towards the man she loved while big tears fell down her cheeks.

"Sean." She gently breathed. She managed to softly smile one last time before closing her eyes. His name would be the last sound she ever whispered.

Rage bubbled out of Sean. He looked up at the sky and roared. He squeezed Khatira's limp body to his and desperately wept over her. His harsh cries sounded like a wounded animal. Finally he gently laid her on the ground.

He was not a good man. If he would've just left her alone, this would have never happened.

This was on him. All of it.

Then he saw it. The shiny silver dog tags he gave her wrapped around her waist. She had taken the chain and carefully twisted it around a cloth and wore it as a sash under her clothes.