Educating Harry Ch. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes."

"Good."

"Now my mother wants to speak to you."

"Does she," replied Diane grimly, "Well I do not wish to speak to her, you can tell her that, and also that I shall call upon her at ten thirty tomorrow morning. I'll then give her a full account.

"What did she say? Ellie asked, almost before the phone was put down.

"Nothing much, just that Susan is exhausted and already fast asleep. And that Susan and I are to have coffee together tomorrow morning"

"She must have said more than that, I'll give her a ring."

"No mother, no you won't, Aunt Diane said quite specifically she did not want to speak to you... but that she would call to see you at ten thirty tomorrow."

"Are you sure...quite sure?"

"Absolutely certain."

"Yes"

"Oh."

After Joe had left Ellie turned to her husband, "Do you think that Diane is upset with me?"

"The thought had crossed my mind my dear, but Diane doesn't really do 'upset,' I suspect she might suggest disappointment in something or other."

"Hmm, you're a big help." Ellie pursed her lip, "When Diane is 'disappointed' it can be damn unpleasant for whoever has annoyed her."

"Well," John smiled disarmingly, "in that case you shouldn't have anything to worry about, should you?"

Just before ten thirty on Tuesday morning Ellie was surprised to see both her daughters arrive. Maggie and Jane assured her that Diane had asked them to come, though neither was certain exactly why. "She sounded a bit fierce," said Jane, "so I didn't like to ask,"

There was no time for further speculation as Diane herself was shown in. "Good to see you all again," she greeted them, "Thank you," she added as John offered a seat. "Firstly I can tell you I dropped Susan off some ten minutes ago and the last I saw was that both Joe and Susan were vying to take the entire responsibility for yesterdays ridiculous contretemps. They were, as the young people say, all over each other."

"Thank goodness for that," said Ellie "I hardly slept a wink last night thinking she might dump Joe."

"That concern Ellie," remarked Diane acidly. "says very much more about your incapacity to judge character than it does of Susan's. It was only ever a spat, never of any consequence... though rather spectacular as John will agree." Diane smiled, "Susan will indulge in a little more agonising and Joe will have his black eye to remind him of his idiocy for a few days."

"Is it bad?" grinned Maggie.

Diane smiled again, "Lois May, our lawyer described it as 'a real doozy' and it is, it looks dreadful."

For a moment the atmosphere relaxed, but only for a moment: Diane spoke, "Now we have one or two more tricky issues to sort out. "Ellie, you have long harboured a grudge against Marcia Meyer, have you not?"

"Well yes, but she had it coming."

"Perhaps, but do you think your thirty three year old son, still needs you to ride shotgun, to protect him, to coddle him."

"I do no such thing, I..."

"If that was true, there was even less reason for your humiliation of Marcia..." Diane continued very softly, "The fabulous picture of Susan on the front page of the newspaper was no accident, a studio shot superimposed on an appropriate background. And the disgraceful picture comparing Marcia to Susan... to Marcia's obvious disadvantage...that was obviously a set up.

"Don't smirk Maggie, I shall come to yours and Jane's complicity in just a moment." Diane's voice became even quieter as she delivered her final charge; "At Hawksworth Ellie, you persuaded Susan to promise you that she would never humiliate Joe as Marcia did."

Ellie nodded agreement.

"And yet, without a twinge of conscience you, Ellie, Maggie, Jane, used...yes, used Susan, to exact your petty revenge... to humiliate Marcia Meyer in a most contemptible manner.

Ellie's face was ashen under her friends withering assessment, "I won't deny, I can't..."

Diane let Ellie suffer for a few seconds, but then interrupted, "No point in beating yourself up about it Ellie, it's done, what you have to do now is rehabilitate Marcia; her behaviour at least, was exemplary. Susan has already given you a lead. At eleven Joe and Susan will be joined by Marcia ...and I wouldn't be at all surprised if your friendly photographer Tony just happens to be on hand to take a snap of the happy trio. Something for tomorrow's paper."

"That is all I have to say for now, I am going to talk to you in a few days about a project I have, not altogether unconnected with this. "Now John, you can drive me back into the city."

Ellie went to the door with Diane, leaving her chastened daughters behind for the moment.

"Diane," Ellie was almost in tears, I'm sorry, so sorry, I..."

"Don't go on so dear, give me a hug...there, and there's one thing you can console yourself with."

"What?"

"I'm willing to bet that within six months young Carrie will achieve her greatest ambition."

"Whatever do you mean?"

"Oh Ellie you can be so dense sometimes; to be a bridesmaid at her uncles wedding of course."

John and Diane drove for a few minutes in silence before John spoke, "Quite a roasting Diane, but in the end no penance for Ellie... I was wondering about that project of yours?"

"So you should John, so you should." Diane smiled widely, "A few months ago I asked Johnny Lister if I could introduce Maria Bunce to him. He agreed to photograph her and later Susan, provided I did something for him."

"And that something?"

"Johnny has been invited to do a retrospective of his career, to be shown at the art gallery, he wants to use certain pictures he took over the years that were rather more interesting: pictures that have never seen the light of day; more intimate than those published at the time. Eight women are to be persuaded, my role is to persuade them.

"Ah, and you know that Ellie."

"Yes, and Johnny is particularly keen on her pictures."

"Getting eight to agree will not be easy."

"I've already got four and I haven't even asked Ellie or Susan yet, it will be quite easy, three of them live in Hawksworth."

"You don't mean... not you as well."

Diane smiled, "You don't think Ellie was brave enough to do that shoot alone, and Johnny was very clever. He knew we were good friends, but also very competitive. He used that to get us to push each other, to be a little more adventurous."

"Well I'm damned, I can't wait to see it... but I shan't say a word to Ellie."

*****

Harry had endured a frustrating day, his right eye had opened a little and his vision was almost normal, but if he tried to read or use the computer he soon became very conscious of the restriction, it was very distracting. He went to evening surgery, hoping the doctor would remove the stitches, but she said, "No, not yet, you're healing quickly, but another couple of days will be better. Come back on Thursday."

Harry walked back from the doctors surgery thinking to himself that Aunt Diane would be home within the next half hour, provided the evening flight from Sydney was on time. As Harry turned into his aunt's driveway he had immediate evidence that it was, Susan's Audi swept in just behind him and came to a halt in front of the house. Susan was out of the car first, "Hi Harry, good to see... oh my, Harry, whatever have you done?" but then to Harry's consternation she burst out laughing. "Oh Harry, I'm sorry, but it is so funny... if only you knew."

By this time Aunt Diane had also emerged, and she too had a broad smile on her face. "I didn't tell Susan about your accident, and when she explains, you'll understand why she laughed so much."

"Sorry Harry, I shouldn't have really, but you're not the only man I know with a black eye at the moment."

"Are you going to come in for a coffee," asked a mystified Harry.

"Mmm' I would like to, but tomorrow morning, I am going to have to issue a whole bunch of instructions to lawyers about a business deal we made over the weekend. I'm going to have an early night tonight and make an early start... But, can you come over tomorrow afternoon, say about four, and I'll tell you everything I did, and how it all went."

Harry took his aunt's bag from the car and before he had time to say more, Susan was already on the move, "Bye Harry, see you tomorrow."

"Susan seems to be very excited, perhaps you could tell me how everything went," suggested Harry, as they went inside

"In summary, I will: socially, I am reliably informed, Susan was a sensation, a triumph. Everyone I have spoken to has run out of superlatives. But in addition to that, Susan went away on Friday as a young woman with a very healthy income and in the space of a few days has returned very decidedly wealthier. And now perhaps you might make me a coffee."

"Ok, and I suppose that's all you're going to tell me?"

"Yes I think so. It's Susan's story really, and I am fairly sure she is looking forward to telling you herself; she gives you a great deal of credit for how things have turned out."

"Does she?" replied Harry, rather pleased with himself.

"Yes, probably too much, she's very fond of you, you know. Now where's that coffee?"

Four o'clock the following day Harry arrived at Susan's. To Harry's slight surprise, and delight the first thing Susan wanted was to make love, but afterwards when then were lying together in bed, she started to tell him about the ball.

Susan told him every detail, but whilst Harry might not have remembered everything she said, he was captivated by the joy she had clearly taken in it, and the knowledge that she personally had been such a success. Harry couldn't help but be caught up in her enthusiasm, and more than once, her delight in herself reminded him of Alice.

Eventually Susan said "That's about it, I couldn't have wished it any better...and Harry a lot of it's down to you."

"Teaching you to dance?"

"Not just that, something more, much more... I have always been confident in my own abilities, as a pilot and with accounting work, but socially I've been a bit of a retard, I'm ok one to one, and with people I know well, but really without much experience of larger groups. You brought out the confidence to be myself I suppose. And," she added turning over to face him, "It took more than just dance lessons to achieve that."

"Oh"

"And Harry, I think perhaps..."

"Perhaps what?"

"I think that aspect needs a little reinforcement." Susan bit her lip enticingly, "I mustn't let myself forget."

Harry did not reply, he was far too preoccupied with the soft lips which met his own and the slim hand pulling him towards her.

The following morning Susan called on Maria; she repeated the same account without the same interruptions, but with one addition. "And, after we had said good night, I waited a few minutes then slipped next door to Joe's room."

"Go on."

"He was already in bed, I just stood in front of him and said, 'Joe, I need some help... to undress,' or something like that... I don't remember exactly."

"And was it?"

"Good, oh yes, it was a bit strange at first, we were both a bit nervous, like a couple of teenagers almost... but we soon got over that, and everything was great."

"So how do you feel about ..."

"Having two lovers;" Susan interrupted again "To be honest, really good, obviously it's only going to be for a really short time because Harry will be going away, but just the fact that I've done it makes me feel good about myself, sort of an achievement."

Both women giggled in agreement, then Susan said, "Now I'll tell you about how I bought back the company." The second part of the story of Susan's weekend was much more quickly told, and Maria was more interested in the meeting with Joe.

"He didn't say that ... surely not, 'sleeping with the enemy,' oh my.

"And you hit him... hard I hope.

"With the jug as well, oh dear... but he did deserve it."

"And I called him, 'a horrible, horrible man."

"Quite right too, What happened next?

"I ran out, and of course once I had calmed down a bit, said I would apologise. Diane wouldn't have it, said it wouldn't hurt Joe to have a sleepless night. The last thing I remember is her telling me that she would arrange for Joe and I to meet the next day, then she gave me a sleeping tablet and that was it for at least twelve hours.

"So you patched things up."

"Yes, he was all over me and in truth I was the same, I suppose we had both behaved pretty badly, and I did regret clipping him with the jug... because that wasn't intended, though I don't regret dumping the water on him."

"So where does it go from here?"

"Joe and me," Susan was silent for a few seconds, "A long way I suspect, but I'm still going to stick to my original timetable. Alice will be home next week and Harry will leave for the USA a couple of days after that. Then only two days after Harry leaves, Alice starts Uni in Sydney. I shall travel down with her, and I've already asked Joe if I can stay with him for a couple of weeks. There will be a lot to sort out with respect to these company and property purchases, the lawyers are doing most of the work at the moment, but I'll need time in Sydney too. It will also give Joe and I a chance to get to know each other better... just the two of us."

Over the next few days Harry noticed a slight change in Susan, she was as keen as ever to go to bed but Harry noticed that the imperative to experiment and try new things had lessened, their love making was a little more relaxed and though she had taken the initiative before, Susan now seemed more comfortable when she did so.

But the more he thought about it over the next few days it slowly dawned on Harry that he was waiting for her to call time on their affair. He was driving over one afternoon to see her when he said quite suddenly to himself, "I can't expect her to make the call, it's not fair."

Harry found her in the kitchen making the inevitable coffee. "Hi," she greeted him, "Want one?"

Harry ignored her question, he took her hand and sat opposite at the bench. "Susan we need to talk, remember when we went for that walk at Mount Canobolas: what we talked about.

She nodded.

"It's time Susan, I've been waiting for you to say it for a few days now...but driving over, I realised I shouldn't leave it all up to you. It wouldn't be fair. We should end it now... it's the absolutely last thing I want, but that's how it has to be."

Susan did not know quite what to say at first, but rather gravely she eventually spoke. "I know you're right and I have been telling myself the same...but it's just been so wonderful, I didn't want to end it." She stopped for a moment, then laughed, slightly nervously; "But I don't want you to just walk out the door... Can we... Can't we, just one last time."

Two hours later Susan nudged Harry, "Come on, time to go," they dressed, and Susan held his hand as she walked with him to his ute.

"Do you remember Susan?

"Wandering rainbows, leave a little colour

"For my heart to own."

"The Nilsson song? As if I'd forget"

"You've been my rainbow, I've never loved another woman."

"Not the only one, maybe the first, just the first."

"Well, that's how I'll always remember you.

Susan smiled, "I would like that... 'to be a little colour... for your heart to own."

She then hugged him wordlessly for a few moments, released him and said, "Go now Harry."

Susan watched his ute out of the driveway and listened as the familiar note faded into the distance, then turned and walked into the house. She sat for a few moments in the lounge room and took a deep breath; she was shaking slightly. "Susan Tremaine," she said to herself, "you may not have loved him, but you came awfully damn close."

Harry's response to their break up was typical, he threw himself into his work and for the next four days, Professor Schering in Massachucetts was staggered at the volume and quality of work sent to her computer. "We have to get this young man," she told a colleague, "He is just so talented, it scares me." She was not to know that Harry had already almost certainly decided in her favour.

Diane observed Harry closely, but without comment for several days, just exchanging a few words at mealtimes. Then one morning she walked out to where Harry was working with his laptop in the shade of the kaffir plum tree: "Harry, I have just taken a call, you are going to have visitors in half an hour or so...Susan is bringing Alice over, apparently she wants to talk to you." Diane then turned back to the house, but hesitating came back and put her hand on his shoulder, "Harry, I know it hurts now, but there will come a time when that will end...and you'll never regret your time with Susan."

Harry grinned, "I know, but I never guessed it would hurt this much..." he then perked up, "but Alice will have plenty to tell me, it will be good to see her."

In much less than half an hour Susan's car scrunched over the gravel. "Harreee," Alice launched herself at him, "I have got so much to tell you."

It was impossible to feel down with Alice around, and Harry barely had time to say "Hi" to Susan, before she said, "I must be going now; Alice, give me a ring and I'll pick you up later."

For the next ninety minutes Alice gave Harry a blow by blow account of her time in Chicago, it was impossible for Harry not to get caught up in her enthusiasm for every small event, but eventually she broke in on herself. "Oh Harry before I forget, you're due to fly out in a few days, what are you going to do with your ute?"

Caught slightly off guard Harry said, "I was just going to leave it behind, sell it if I can, though it won't make much."

"Will you sell it to me, Mum says I can have a car but she won't let me have anything fancy, says it will get damaged or stolen if its parked on the roadside while I'm at uni."

"Well if you're sure it's what you want, you can have it."

"Mum knew that George did the natural gas conversion on it and he told me that mechanically the ute is excellent, though the body has a few dents and dings. Now I know if I asked you for a price, you might say something silly, so how about we ask the guys that service it what would be a fair price?

"Sounds ok to me."

"Good that's settled then."

"Now Harry you've heard all about me and what I have been doing this summer; what about you?

Harry rambled and stuttered a little about work and wracked his brain for inconsequential subjects, all too well aware of the need to avoid one subject in particular.

"Sounds a bit dull to me," said Alice, "so no romance, no tempestuous affair to tell me about?"

Harry was aware that he was being pushed into a corner and thought fast; "Alice, since you left, there's been no one like you, not of course that anyone could compare with you."

Alice smiled and Harry relaxed. "That was a really good answer Harry, clever... but not clever enough," she ruffled his hair and grinned wickedly. "Because I know, that while what you said might be true it isn't the whole story."

"But I...what do you mean...? Harry spluttered.

"Because when I got back, mum and I sat down and had a really long chat...she told me everything."

"Everything?"

Alice nodded, she was like the cat with the cream, "And I think it's the most beautiful story I ever heard."

Harry's head was in his hands, "Susan told you everything?"

"Yup, everything."

"And you're not mad at me."

"Don't be silly, I even suggested you to her... though at the time she did say it was a crazy idea."

"I still can't believe it."

"Oh yes, we compared notes... detailed, very detailed notes," grinned Alice, "but you just about got a pass.

"And Harry," said Alice becoming serious, "you were wonderful for mum, you gave her something that she had missed, and she'll never forget you for that, you will always be special to her."