Equal Shares Ch. 21

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
steveh11
steveh11
75 Followers

"I don't know, Elizabeth... Oh, all right then, let's talk about it again tomorrow and I can let you persuade me some more." Denise had a smile on her face as she finished the last sentence, one which Elizabeth couldhear through the phone line.

"Sounds good. I'm not letting you off the hook now! See you tomorrow, then. Bye!"

- - - - - - - - - -

It was late Friday afternoon. Denise was in reception, chatting 'idly' to Elaine. Really she was waiting for Stan and Anne.

But she'd been worried about Elaine and Susan. She knew that Elaine was completely head-over-heels in love with the quieter woman, and that Susan's insecurities were causing problems. She wondered if there was anything she could do to help.

"Laney? How's things with you and Susan?"

"Much better, thanks!" smiled an effervescent Elaine. "Susan is doing her best not to snarl at me if I go within fifty feet of another girl, and I'm doing my best not to do anything to make her jealous."

"Oh, good, Laney. I hated it when you two were fighting."

"Well, me too, of course, Denny. We're okay at the moment, though. Just don't let Susan see you within fifty feet of me... just kidding!"

Denise smiled, but thought that there was a slight edge to that comment. Susan wouldn't ever forget that Denise was Elaine's ex, it seemed.

"It's okay, Elaine. If Susan says anything about me, just remind her that I'm notlooking at all at the moment, but when I go back to hunting, it'll be for a male companion, not a female one. That's why we split in the first place!"

"Oh, Denny.I know that,you know that.Susan knows that too, but sometimes she can't help herself."

Just then Anne walked into reception, carrying an overnight bag. Stan followed her. Denise winked at Elaine and turned to the tall blonde.

"Hi Anne. Can I talk to you a moment, please?"

Anne looked puzzled.

Stan came over, but Denise said, "Just Anne, for the moment, Stan. If you don't mind, anyway?"

Stan murmured a "No, no, not at all..." and went back to the desk to talk to Elaine. Denise and Anne moved into a corner, speaking in lowered tones.

"Anne, do you mind if I come along to the dance class on Monday? I need to get out and take my mind off things. I used to enjoy the dance classes with Belinda and Yves, until Raoul came along, anyway."

"Raoul?"

"Oh, Stan hasn't told you then. Mybastard of an ex. I met him there, we had a wonderful time until I found out that he was cheating on me, several times at once. I left him, obviously. Stan tells me he's not in your classes, and I really would like to come – but not if it's going to be awkward with you and Stan."

"Oh." Anne thought for a few moments. For decisions requiring mere intellect she was quick and decisive, but this involved her emotions. It took longer, and she wasn't assure. But she knew Denise was hurt, she'd told her that she owed the redhead a debt and this was one way she could start to repay it.

"That will be fine, Denise. You're going to make your own way there?"

Anne wasn't going to unbend all the way at once, Denise saw.

"I can do, yes. I know where it is. Thank you, Anne."

Anne called over, "Denise is going to the Dance Class on Monday, Stan. Isn't that wonderful?"

Stan answered, "Yes, of course. I'm sure Belinda and Yves will be delighted to see you again. Have you booked yet?"

Denise smiled at Stan and replied, "No, not yet, silly, I had to clear it with your boss, first!" She indicated Anne with her eyes and an incline of the head.

Stan accepted this with a blink, followed by a wry grin. Then he asked, "Do you want a lift?"

Anne answered quickly, "No, Stan, she's driving herself. Isn't that right, Denise?" Anne's tone held no room for disagreement.

- - - - - - - - - -

Anne handed her bag over to Stan, who put it into his car. The two had parked next to one another that morning, on Anne's side of the car park.

Anne drove home, thinking about Denise. She wondered if she should have been more gracious, and asked Stan to offer her a lift on Monday. She thought about that, andwhy she hadn't, the entire short journey to her house.

Once there she showered and changed into exercise shorts and a sweatshirt. The agreement was that the pair would stop for the weekend at his house, biking into and around the town, not tryingtoo hard. Anne and Stan had disagreed over cooking, as neither wanted to do any.

Anne didn't want to admit that she felt embarrassed by her lack of culinary expertise; she didn't feel she ought to but couldn't shake the feeling that sheshould be able to cook. It was as if it were something her mother had forgotten to hand down in her genes.

Stan, on the other hand, felt that as it was his house, he ought to have made an effort – but his own ability in the kitchen was basic. He could cook, yes, provided the recipe instructions were detailed enough. He just really didn'twant to, and the conflict between duty and desire was a close run thing. He was about to reluctantly say that he'd rustle up some sort of stew when Anne suggested they eat out. In the end they'd compromised and would either order in or go out, but both knew that it was putting the matter off.

Anne rode over to Stan's house, putting her bike in his garage before walking in through his back door. There she found Stan in the kitchen, making coffee.

They exchanged greetings, and then Stan said "I've cleared space in the wardrobe for some of your stuff, Anne, I hope you don't mind."

"Why should I mind?" asked Anne, with a slight furrow to her brow.

"I thought you might feel it was a bit... well, presumptuous."

"No, not at all, Stan. Iam staying the weekend, after all. I hope that you'll be staying at my house sometimes, too."

"Well, I'd like that of course," grinned Stan, "here's more convenient, though."

"Why?"

"Well, it's closer to The Firm and the town centre, and there's more room here."

"It's not significantly closer to either of those from here, Stan, and the extra space is irrelevant unless you plan on putting me in the spare room, is it? What you meant is it's less bother foryou. That attitude needs adjustment, buster!"

Stan knew he'd been caught out, so he threw himself on the mercy of the court. Unfortunately, Anne wasn't in a forgiving mood, since she was still worried about Denise. It was a minor argument, but it did count as their first.

Later, of course, after they'd made up in bed,Stanworried. Yes, he realized, he had taken it for granted that Anne would move in with him, eventually. Nothing about that had been said, but it was just an assumption that he'd not thought worth stating, it seemed self-evident. Anne didn't feel that, it seemed, and was quite belligerent in making her point. Did that mean shedidn't want to be with him the same way as he wanted to be with her?

Meanwhile, lying next to him, Anne still wondered about Denise. The lovemaking they'd just shared had had an almost desperate nature. Oh, they'd bothenjoyed it! How could she not, Stan was skilled and, more importantly, loving, but she felt that there was something, or someone, between them. Denise.

Both of them had a fitful sleep that night.

steveh11
steveh11
75 Followers
12