Even Gods need a little Balance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
zouzouni
zouzouni
357 Followers

***

Ana's first date with Bradley went well and they saw each other for a while. Unfortunately it didn't work out. Neither did the guy after him, or the one after that. Ana couldn't put her finger on it but they were all really nice guys and she enjoyed their company immensely, it just felt like something was missing. At least she didn't feel so nervous about dating anymore. Her sister and friends were constantly setting her up with someone new.

In fact she had to beg everyone for a weekend to herself since they had been doing such a good job of keeping her occupied with going out and blind dates. She just wanted some time to lounge about the house, watch old movies and eat ice-cream out of the container. She was indulging in just that when her phone rang.

"Ari!" she said shocked. "Aren't you supposed to be away on your romantic weekend with Emma?"

"Yeah well, that didn't really work out so I came home early," he said.

"Huh?" she said nonplussed.

"We kind of broke up," he replied simply.

"Oh no Ari, I'm so sorry. What happened?" she said shocked at the inexplicable joy that rose up in her at his announcement. She never liked Emma, well what Ari had said or written about her. She came off as nothing was good enough for her. Ari wasn't ambitious enough, didn't dress well enough, didn't take her to the best restaurants and more. It bothered Ana that Ari would allow this woman to control him like that but she kept her mouth shut and tried to be supportive of her friend. Still the joy this break up caused was confusing, was she really only happy that he wasn't with a horrible woman for his sake?

What happened? How was Ari supposed to answer that question? The weekend had started off well with settling into an exclusive little Bed and Breakfast that was ridiculously priced but Emma liked it so he figured why not. They saw the sights, which meant the shops. They did some activities, which meant Emma picked what they did without consulting him. They even went out to dinner, no prizes for guessing who chose the place.

When Emma went to the ladies room Ari took a moment to send an amusing and self depreciating text to Ana describing his fun filled weekend so far. Emma arrived as he hit the send button.

"What are you doing?" she asked harshly.

"Sending a text," he replied. He'd never lied to her about his friendships with Ana or anyone else.

"It's that Ana girl isn't it?" Emma hissed. "I don't want you talking with her anymore. I'm your girlfriend and you shouldn't be talking with other women like that."

Ari sat there in shock. All her little quirks over the last few weeks came into sharper focus and he realized that Emma wasn't exactly the sweet young lady he thought she was. Making him choose between his friends and her was a definite deal breaker.

"Is that an ultimatum Emma?" he asked to her nod. "I see, well then the answer is no. I just realized that you have had your way just a little too often and I'm not about to let that continue. You have a choice, accept me for who I am or I can drive us home tonight," he said calmly.

Emma fussed and cried and pleaded and cajoled but never apologized or agreed to his request. So they ended up driving home and parting company. Ari wasn't sure why but he felt relieved instead of upset. Fancy making him choose between her and Ana, it was no contest.

"We just wanted different things," he explained to Ana, the dual meaning of the statement lost on him. He couldn't, however, tell her that they broke up over his friendship with her, that wasn't very fair. Ana was her usual understanding and amusing self and he felt lighter and happier than he had in weeks.

"So when are you going to visit? Can I tempt you with a ride on the Harley?" he teased, falling back on their standard closing argument to conversations.

"You know that is really mean Ari, you know how much I want to do that," she griped. Ever since he told her he owned a Harley Davidson she'd been beside herself with envy. She loved motorcycles but rarely had the opportunity to ride since none of her circle of friends was into it. He always used it as a playful taunt.

"Well you turn up and I'll make sure you get a ride. Just make sure it's summer though. The wind chill at any other time will kill you," he chuckled.

"Summer -- check. Yes sir." She laughed as they said good night.

***

Over the last few months Ana had been working very hard. She had approached her supervisor with the idea for a project and he'd let her run with it. She noticed at work that although there was some professional development training it was either irrelevant by the time people got around to doing it or only targeted to one or two groups of employees. Ana wondered if she could organized this better since no one was really handling it and many people were crying out for more training as new products came online.

What started off as something small had developed a life of its own. Ana managed to procure exceptional speakers and trainers on current products, as well as targeting some management level gaps in skill development. Everyone was buzzing about the next seminar or how they used what they learned at the last one. She was just going over the schedules when her supervisor called and asked to see her.

She walked to his office curious about whether he was going to ask her to stop this project and make her get back to her more mundane role of going through resumes.

"Hi Ana, come on in and have a seat," Grant said. He politely waited for her to do so before continuing. "Well, you have been doing such an exceptional job with organizing professional development and training that I just wanted to congratulate you. Someone in tech support said that errors were down 45% in the last month alone." He beamed and Ana blushed at the praise.

"Thanks Grant I've really enjoyed this role," she said to him and inside prayed that he wouldn't tell her it's over.

"Well you've done such a good job that head office has noticed and wanted to know how come my department has the lowest error rate in the country. So I told them about you. Mr. Roland would like you to visit the head office and explain in person what you've been doing. He also suggested arranging one of your seminars for the management team so they can fully understand what is involved," Grant told her.

Mr. Roland was the company's CEO and Ana had never met the man, the mere idea had her shaking in apprehension. "I don't know what to say Grant; this is a little too much," she said breathlessly.

"Ana you know what you are doing. I have faith in you. They expect you there next Friday, my secretary has the details. Just go and work your magic," he said proudly.

Ana walked out, grabbing the details from Dianne on the way. She sat down heavily in her own chair and tried to think through the enormity of this request. If Mr Roland liked what he saw she could turn this into a real career move. While she had never been overly ambitious, she liked the idea of doing this on a larger scale simply because she enjoyed it so much. She immediately hit the phones to organize an appropriate management seminar for the team interstate and started gathering her resources into a coherent package.

After the excitement at the office Ana realized what else this trip actually meant. It placed her in another city, in Ari's city. She was almost hesitant to tell him, normally with news like this she would have called, but this time she opted for an email.

"I'm coming to town so get the parade organized. Seriously though, I'm heading your way for a work thing next Friday. I don't know the details yet but do you want to finally meet?"

Ari read the email and his heart rate accelerated of its own accord. She was coming here. Here. And she thought an email was enough. No way. He grabbed the phone not even looking at the lateness of the hour.

The ringing of the phone shocked her as she checked the caller ID. "Do you have any idea what time it is?" she grumbled.

"Stuff that. You couldn't call to tell me you were coming? Email? Really?" he chastised.

"Ok you have a point. It was just a little bit of a shock with the work thing and all," she tried to explain. Ana launched into an excited description of what her supervisor said and what she would be doing.

"Ok you're forgiven this time. That's really exciting Ana, congrats," Ari conceded. "So do you think you might be able to get away later in the day?"

"I'm sure I will. I think they're paying for me to stay the night so I should have some time. How about I call you and let you know when the plans are more concrete?" she said a little more relaxed now that she realized he was happy that she was coming.

"You'd better call; I'll let you get some sleep now," he smiled.

"Good night Ari," she chuckled.

***

Ari was humming to himself in the kitchen the next morning oblivious to his brother's and friend's amused stares.

"What's got you so happy?" Peter wondered.

"Ana's coming," Ari said simply.

"You mean here? Ana's coming here? I so have to meet her. When? Where?" Chris demanded.

"Yeah buddy, you've been on about this girl forever. We have to meet her," Peter echoed.

Ari looked at them in shock, he never expected that it would turn into a party but it was definitely looking that way judging by the determined look on their faces. He thought it was just going to be the two of them but it didn't appear to be working out that way. He hoped Ana could handle a group; in fact he was sure she could.

"Ok guys. She's not sure when her work thing is going to finish so just keep next Friday night free and I'll let you know," Ari sighed, resigned to the fact that he wouldn't get any time alone with Ana, not if his friends and family had anything to do with it. He knew they'd adore her.

***

Ana was so incredibly busy getting ready for her meeting at the head office that she didn't have a lot of time to worry about meeting up with Ari. In fact she didn't even think about it until the night before as she was packing for the trip. She didn't want to take too many things but she figured along with the business suit for the day, she'd need a going out outfit for afterwards and something casual to come home in. She threw a few things together and tried to get some sleep but was too excited to do so until quite late.

All too soon she was flying into a new city and settling into the hotel room. She didn't have much time for that either as her meeting was fairly early. It was hot and she loved it. The slight sheen of sweat that instantly appeared the moment she walked out of the air-conditioned airport didn't even bother her. She caught a taxi and gave that address of head office while she sat in the back going over all her material and information, too nervous to even check out the sights. She did manage to smile at the shimmering buildings in the distance as the heat rising from the concrete distorted their shape.

Ana was greeted by Mr. Roland's personal assistant Amanda and shown where to set up. Amanda was very cheerful woman that proved to be both helpful and calming to Ana's nerves. It didn't take long for the management team to arrive but she felt ready.

Ana launched into what she had been doing with her department, going over all the various in-services she'd arranged and the benefits she'd seen. She timed this so well that just as she was finishing the presenter for the seminar she'd arranged arrived. There was a smooth transition between her presentation and getting the team to experience the real thing. Ana watched as they enjoyed the presentation, and even started taking notes on many of the things the presenter discussed.

They broke for lunch where she was accosted by many attendees about how wonderful and informative that seminar was. Finally after lunch she went over a quick debrief of their experience and what she would like to do with all the departments by tailoring their skill development according to their needs. She could see many nods of approval as she wrapped up her presentation.

It was bordering on home time as she packed her things. Everyone had left leaving her alone with Mr. Roland.

"Ana, I must say that was a remarkable presentation. You've given me much more food for thought than I expected. I really didn't think you had this so well thought out," he said amazed.

"Thank you sir," Ana said as she blushed at the compliment.

"None of this 'sir' business. Call me David. Now I realize that this is a little sudden but I would like to offer you a job, well more of a promotion. I think you'd do amazing things if we could centralize your efforts from head office. It would benefit the company at a national level enormously. This is what I'm offering, please take your time, there is no hurry but think it over and let me know," he said as he handed her a folder. "Now do you have plans for dinner?"

"No David, but I do for afterwards. I'm meeting some friends," she explained feeling it would be best to be honest with one's boss.

"Great then, an early dinner to discuss your future, leaving you plenty of time to enjoy your time with your friends. Maybe they can convince you to stay," he chuckled. Ana's mind was reeling as they walked out.

Dinner was lovely and David couldn't help himself as he went over the details of the offer including a very attractive salary increase and financial assistance with relocation costs. More importantly it was the opportunity to head up a new department devoted to internal skill development ensuring that all employees were at the top of their game. For many it was also about maintaining professional accreditation which was becoming difficult as they often had to take days off work to attend off site workshops to fulfil professional standards. Doing this internally essentially saved everyone a lot of time and money along with numerous other benefits. Essentially it was her dream job. The question was could she leave her family and friends and move to a new city where she didn't know anyone.

Well that wasn't exactly true, she knew Ari, and through him his family and friends. But was that enough? She pondered this as she was getting ready. David had dropped her off back at the hotel allowing her plenty of time to get ready to meet with Ari. Through several texts and a couple quick calls they'd arranged to meet up at a little Jazz club that Ari assured her was quiet enough for them to be able to hold a conversation.

The heat of the day had started to dissipate as the sun began to set but it was still warm. If anything Ana loved summer nights even more than the day. The taxi dropped her off right outside the front as the bouncer looked her over appreciatively before opening the door for her. She entered into the soothing sounds of the music. A little nervously she looked around for Ari, as an irrational fear that she wouldn't recognize him gripped her briefly. But there he was standing with a group of guys as their eyes met and he started walking towards her with the biggest grin on his face.

Ari was nervous, he alternated between standing up and pacing and sitting down and fidgeting. Peter was about to slap him he was being so annoying. Ari was on another one of his pacing trips when he saw her enter. She hadn't seen him yet so he took a moment to just look at her. He could tell even at this distance that she was wearing 'that dress'. His whole body tightened at the thought. Trying to slow his breathing he made his way around the armchairs and people to get to her.

She was really here, standing in front of him. He couldn't believe it as he stood there staring at her.

"You made it," he said still staring.

"I did," she replied smiling nervously.

This was ridiculous he thought as he moved forward and wrapped her up in his arms, hugging her for all he was worth. She couldn't breathe he was holding her so tight but she didn't complain. It was nice, more than nice it felt right, natural, normal, like they'd been doing this forever. He broke away and grabbed her hand dragging her willingly along.

"Come and meet everyone," he said excitedly. They reached the group of guys and they all turned their heads and looked at her smiling. "Guys this is Ana. Ana this is well, everyone," he said chuckling. He introduced his brother Chris, friend Peter and his cousins Mike and George. All the boys that he talked about constantly.

"Hi everyone," Ana said confidently she felt as if she already new them. Turning to George she said "George, you have to tell me. Is it true that you got locked out of a hotel room naked? Ari refused to tell me what you were doing out of your room in that state. Now I'm here you absolutely have to tell me what happened," she smiled and the men erupted in laughter George included. It was a perfect way to break the ice and George launched into the tale with much laughter.

They appreciated the ease in which she slipped into their little group; she knew many of their stories and a lot of their likes and dislikes. She hadn't laughed so much in ages. They made her feel so welcome.

Chris kept looking at his brother and would often catch him staring at Ana with an odd look on his face. He had an idea what might be going on, in fact he had been thinking about it for a while. He decided to take a chance and see if he was right.

"Come on Ana; let me take you away from these brutes. Come and dance with me," Chris said as he extended his hand towards her. Unable to refuse his offer, Ana took his hand and followed him to the dance floor. She settled comfortably into his arms and they chatted amicably as they slowly revolved around.

Chris looked over her shoulder and noticed his brother looking. Time to see if he was right. He pulled Ana closer and started to hold her more intimately running his hands lower along her back to the top of her luscious arse. Hey he was dancing with a beautiful woman, he would have to be brain dead to not appreciate it. He smiled to himself as he saw Ari's face darken in anger. Taking it up a notch he ran his hands lightly over her butt and smiled as his brother leapt out of his seat and headed their way. It was all he could do not to burst out laughing.

Ana was starting to feel a little uncomfortable with Chris' behaviour. He was a good looking guy, she just didn't think of him that way so his slightly roaming hands felt decidedly strange. Just as she was trying to come up with a way to extricate herself from the situation she felt a tap on her shoulder.

"Mind if I cut in?" Ari asked. He wasn't really asking as he shot a furious look at Chris.

"Sure Ari, no problem," Chris stepped away, still trying to hold back the laughter threatening to escape.

Ari wrapped his arms around Ana and swayed to the music. Now this, this was right. He had felt an irrational anger at his brother when he saw him with his hands all over her. It wasn't right. Hell he didn't blame him she looked good in that dress, damned good. The sort of good that one friend doesn't think of about another. The idea alone confused him so he stopped thinking about it and just enjoyed being here with her.

He held her close as they danced. The music had moved onto a more upbeat number but they were oblivious to all the gyrating bodies around them. Song after song went by and they just stood there clinging to each other. Ari looked down into her eyes and momentarily forgot what he was going to say. She smiled at him as he brushed his hand along her cheek.

"Let's get out of here," he said finally. Ana looked at him perplexed. "I brought the bike."

Ana was thrilled; he had taunted her with promises of a ride for ages. Excitement suffused her system as she made her way back to the group. They said a hasty good bye to everyone with many 'great to meet you's' and 'don't be a stranger'. Chris gave her a warm hug and an odd look as they left. She couldn't bring herself to think about it, the ride had taken over all her thoughts. Once outside she practically ran to the row of motor cycles wondering which one was his.

zouzouni
zouzouni
357 Followers