Fate's Crucible Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They left the docks behind along with its noise and bustle, passing into the quieter main area of the city. Yami led the way, heels clicking on the cobblestones, an unconscious sway in her step. The two brothers followed her silently, mentally and physically on their guard. The tea house that she had selected was the very last one in the cul-de-sac, discrete and unassuming, the attendant sitting quietly on the little porch with a bit of embroidery in her hands.

Yami continued on up the steps to speak to the attendant, her 'guards' waiting below for her. She nodded quietly as the woman murmured the room number to her, then she gestured for the brothers to follow her inside. She found the appropriate room, pausing to remove her boots and her weapons, leaving them at the unobtrusive stand by the door. She then opened the sliding door, padding inside toward the low slung table.

The two males could make out a cloaked and hooded figure on the other side of the table as they remained next to the door, so they retained their weapons. Amir looked around the room, rather liking the décor, then he turned his attention to the shrouded figure. Yami walked over to the table, kneeling gracefully and sitting back on her heels to regard the person with faint amusement. "You have called me, niece of mine?"

Slender ebony hands emerged from the cloak, coming up to grasp the edges of the hood and pulling it back to reveal features very similar to that of the other female. She was younger, face slimmer, but the resemblance was pronounced. "Thank you for agreeing to meet with me, Aunt." Her voice was just above a whisper, low and pleasant. Yami nodded, taking in her features with wary curiosity. The girl's eyes were the main difference between them. Whereas Yami's were a jewel bright pure crimson, the girl's were a deep liquid lavender with a few flecks of gold near the pupil. She wore her snow hair cropped short on the sides, but long in the back with jet and amethyst beads woven into it.

Yami's lip quirked in amusement as she reached over to lightly touch the beads. "A bit of intermingling with the Zeuti part of the clan, hm?" She leaned back slightly as she continued to regard the girl, hands resting on the table before her.

She nodded slightly, eyes flicking to the two silent males. "You seem to be doing well for yourself out here, Aunt," she murmured with a faint smile.

Yami shrugged, reaching for the delicate teapot. "As well that can be," she admitted negligently, pouring two cups of tea. She slid one over to the girl, then picked up her own. "Now. Tell me what has brought you to me? And why you wish to join me?" The girl accepted the cup, taking a sip from it before lowering it to look over at her aunt. "I believe in cutting to the chase, niece," she said with a shrug. The younger female nodded in understanding.

Amir watched from beside the door, knowing that his brother was on his guard too. He had to admit there was quite the family resemblance between the two females, but he couldn't be entirely sure the girl was unarmed. The folds in the cloak were all too perfect for concealment. He glanced over at his brother again, noting that his eyes were focused on her hands, waiting for any hint of a threat. They both tensed when she reached up, then relaxed slightly as she only unfastened her cloak, letting it fall to the floor around her.

Yami inclined her head, watching as well. Her lips quirked in amusement as she took in the girl's outfit. It was much like her own leather outfit, though in white rather than red. She found it interesting that the girl was still a full virgin at her age.

She took another sip of tea, then spoke again, eyes on her aunt. "I contacted you because you're the only relative I have out here," she softly admitted. Amir listened to this, managing to keep his face blank even as he looked for any signs of weaponry. She wasn't as full figured as her aunt, but she was still pleasantly endowed. She gave her aunt a faint wry smile as she finished the last of her tea.

"Have things really gotten that bad back home?" Yami asked, pouring another cup for them both.

She frowned slightly, cradling the warm cup. "You could say that," she said. "Things are changing. And not for the better, I think. Before I left, I did some research in the family archives and came across mention of you. I didn't even know you had existed, as you were never spoken of."

Yami bit back a soft chuckle. "Yes, well. Committing matricide doesn't exactly look good on the family crest." She added a dollop of honey to her tea. "What's going on? Houses shifting?" The girl nodded and she continued. "They tend to do that. It was only a matter of time before Setsuya fell."

"That's true," she conceded, scowling slightly. "But rather than coming out and challenging us, they're resorting to rather devious tricks. Cowards."

Yami arched a brow at that. "Admittedly so, but it does get the job done."

"Perhaps," she said with a shrug. "But it just doesn't sit right with me."

"If there's one thing I've learned out here," Yami said, amused. "It's that open combat is not the only recourse." She peered at a covered tray, then sat the cover aside, choosing one of the tiny pasties.

"True," the girl said, lavender eyes thoughtful. "An assassination here or there doesn't go amiss, Aunt, but when they're wiping out entire bloodlines with convenient accident and swooping in like carrion feeders..." Her voice trailed off as she shrugged slightly.

"Perhaps that's because you have a sense of honor, niece," Yami said, still amused. "If so, you're one of the few." She tapped her talons on the polished wood lightly. "I'm surprised that you didn't join the Clergy."

"I've lost two elder sisters and my mother just barely escaped the last attempt on her life. I didn't feel like sitting around and being a target." She smiled winsomely. "And I do admit that I have a yen for travel. Besides, I had no interest in the Clergy."

Yami's grin widened at that. "Too much hypocrisy for you?"

She considered that a moment, then nodded. "Partly. And... I think, but I can't be certain, they might be the ones prodding the other clans into assassinations."

"Eh, I wouldn't doubt it," Yami said, leaning back slightly with a disgusted snort. "Your other aunts were part of the hierarchy." The girl nodded at that, sipping her tea. "The only thing I want to be sure of, girl, is that this is not an express mission of assassination. I have no qualms about killing my own kin if it spares my own life."

She shook her head, beads clacking softly. "They didn't even know I was leaving," she admitted with a sheepish grin.

Yami arched a brow at that. "That old hag Quenya didn't even know?" Her niece shook her head again and she laughed evilly.

"No," she replied, grinning mischievously. "Though...I did raid her purse for funds."

Yami's eyes glinted maliciously as she leaned forward again. "I'm starting to like you, An'ya." The girl smiled slightly when her aunt used her name for the first time, knowing that she had passed the first tests. "All right. I just require one oath of you," she continued, tugging off a glove. She chuckled slightly as the girl raised an eyebrow in question. "Blood-tie, girl. You know that." She nodded slightly as her aunt pulled out a small silver dagger, removing her own glove.

Yami cut a small slit in her wrist, just under her hand, ignoring the blood that welled up to run down her dark skin. She flipped the knife, holding it by the tip as she passed it over to the younger girl. An'ya took it from her, making a corresponding cut in her own skin, not even flinching. She passed the knife back to Yami, then held out her arm toward her aunt. Yami accepted her wrist, offering her own in a token gesture of vulnerability as they shared blood with each other.

Zankoku twitched faintly as the scent of their blood reached him and his brother's eyes slid to him. Amir touched him mentally, sending calming thoughts. Zankoku glanced over at him, speaking mentally.I'm all right.

Amir watched the little ceremony with half lidded eyes as he replied.I know, but I'm not adverse to helping my brother, no? His lip quirked with amusement and his brother echoed the sentiment.As you've repeatedly proven, little brother.

An'ya kept her eyes on her aunt as she licked the prerequisite few drops of blood needed to seal their agreement. Yami ran her tongue over the cut to seal it. The sharing of blood would tie them together mentally, strengthening the telepathic bond already there. And it would also tell her if the girl was lying or not. She was pleased to find that she wasn't and it relaxed her as they released each other. "I had rather thought I would have to worry about repercussion," she admitted, "with everything that went on."

The girl shook her head, then glanced at the two silent males again. "They're friends," Yami said with amusement. "I don't adhere to that matriarchal bullshit from back home. It's an easy way to get killed out here."

An'ya gave her a faint smirk. "They're very pretty, Aunt."

"Aren't they just," Yami asked rhetorically. "The one of the left is mine. You can have free rein with the one on the right." The younger girl nodded at that. Zankoku raised an eyebrow at that, then smirked at his brother's startled reaction.

An'ya laughed softly, watching them. "I don't think he liked that idea, Auntie."

Yami turned slightly, smirking as well. "Yes, well, he IS an insufferable stick in the mud. Comes with being a lawyer, I think."

The girl looked Amir over again, then shook her head. "Pity. He's cute." She winked playfully, then sipped her tea.

Yami chuckled at that, then addressed the two males. "You two can relax. She's honest." She looked at Amir again, then grinned. "Well, when he's not scowling." Zankoku chuckled as well, stepping away from the wall.

"I am NOT scowling," Amir said, looking at them with evident irritation.

"You are, brother." Zankoku said, amused. "You look like you've sucked on a sour fruit." He couldn't resist teasing his younger sibling a bit.

"I most certainly am not," Amir retorted, crossing his arms. "And let's not say what YOU'VE sucked on recently." An'ya chuckled at that, pouring her aunt another cup of tea.

"I can think of a few things," Yami said with a wink before taking a sip of her tea.

Zankoku smirked as he knelt next to Yami, sitting back on his heels. "It was much sweeter than anything you've had in YOUR mouth lately, I'm sure."

Amir gave his brother a look. "I have no inhibitions about hitting you," he replied as he walked around to the opposite side of the table. "I hope you know that." He knelt next to the other girl, lean body folding down. Yami merely laughed at that, pouring both of them a cup of tea, returning Amir's nod of thanks.

Zankoku chuckled again. "Careful, brother, Yami might get ideas if you tease her. And I think she'd be too much for you." He winked as he picked up his cup. An'ya listened silently as they bantered companionably, lavender eyes moving from one to the other.

Amir shook his head, leaning back to sip his tea. "You can most certainly have her. I don't mind the athletic ones, but by the same token not all my fighting is done on the sparring mat."

Yami smirked over at him. "Neither is mine, but that's beside the point."

An'ya chuckled softly. "Spoken like a true paper pusher." Yami fell silent at that, scenting a challenge, and leaned back to watch.

"Yes, well," Amir said lightly. "I'm also a shark. I don't spend all of my time behind a desk." He took a sip of his tea. "Just the necessary time."

"Really," she said in that soft thoughtful voice. "Like serving your own subpoenas, do you?"

Amir turned his head slightly to regard the young girl. "What's the point of paying someone else to cause misery when I can do just fine myself?" She chuckled softly. "Besides, I do like to sight see a bit. Some sights are visually stimulating, little one."

"Ahhh... I bow to your greater age then," she replied with a faint smirk.

Yami glanced over at Zankoku, amused.This could get interesting.

He hid a smirk behind his teacup as he replied.Indeed...

"Quite," he said serenely. "Much like fine wine, youngling. Better that than impulsive, I suppose."

"Well, that that doesn't spoil and turn to sour vinegar," was her reply.

He chuckled at that. "Be careful how you use that sharp tongue girl, lest it be used to stab your own back."

She chuckled as well, glancing at him through thick white lashes. "Oh, I can think of far better ways to use it,dlan." Yami hid a grin when she called him grandsire in their own language, wondering if Amir would even notice.

He arched a brow at that, bemused. "Is that so? Well, let us hope you do not choke on it by mistake, child." He found that he was actually enjoying their banter, watching her with slitted eyes.

"Time will tell," she said calmly, reaching for the teapot to refill her cup.

"Indeed," he murmured, still watching her as she turns to offer it to him. He took it with a nod of thanks, topping off his own cup. He squinted in annoyance as a bang or two fell over his face, brushing the hair back behind his ear.

An'ya watched this with faint amusement, then she looked across the table at Yami. "So, where to now, Auntie?"

"Well," Yami thought for a moment. "Zankoku and Amir have business to deal with back on their home planet, so we're going their. After we refuel and restock, of course."

The younger girl nodded. "Is there anything I can help with?"

Yami's eyes lidded a bit as she considered the offer. "What are your aptitudes?"

She thought about that for a moment, then smiled wryly. "I've learned a bit of navigational skills, but my main training back home was as an assassin. I'm quite skilled at poisons and traps, ironically enough."

Zankoku glanced over at his brother, who nodded back at him. He personally had nothing against a few well timed assassinations and he could think of certain individuals they could use her skills on.

"I could have use for a partner," Amir said casually. "If you have any skills with legal matters. There's a tangle of things back home that must be dealt with and I could use someone that I can trust."

An'ya considered that for a moment. "I don't know much," she admitted. "But I'm a fast learner."

He nodded. "I can teach you," he said. "And that way, you will know how I prefer things done."

She nodded as well. "All right then."

He regarded her with faint amusement. "The simple fact of the matter is that we're going home to wrest control of our family from our father." He shrugged slightly. "He's been squandering it for the past...thousand or so years and it's time for him to go."

She grinned slowly. "Hm... sounds interesting."

Amir glanced over at his brother, who nodded slightly. "Zankoku will have Yami to watch his back, so that I can be free to do other things."

"Well then," she glanced over at her aunt, "my skills are at your disposal.

She nodded at that. "Then they are to be appreciated. We can always use more help, An'ya." She deliberately used the girl's name rather than calling her niece, showing that she held the girl as an equal.

Her lavender eyes brightened slightly at the show of respect, then she gave Amir a slight smirk. "And besides, an old timer like you could probably use someone young and energetic to help out."

He regarded her impassively for a moment. "Oh yes, child," he remarked dryly. "I'm positively arthritic. Can't move without a cane, you know."

She nodded, giving him a sympathetic look as she patted his arm. "Practically bedridden." Then she chuckled, unable to keep a straight face any longer.

He regarded her wryly. "Well, we'll see about that later." Then he blinked. Merciful gods, did he just flirt?

"Mm... I'll keep that in mind," she said with a wink. He merely smirked back at her, making a mental note to immerse himself in work later.

Zankoku chuckled softly.Shall we leave the two of you alone, little brother? Yami turned her head slightly to peer out the window, eyeing the position of the rising sun as she listened to them banter mentally.

Gods, no, was his immediate reply, though he sounded more bemused than concerned.She's dangerous.

But that's half the fun, his elder brother informed him with a mental wink.Just watch out for the fangs.

Yes, well, just because YOU like the things that bite back. He couldn't help but to laugh. Duly noted, brother.

"Well," Yami said, tone relieved. "Now that THAT'S over with..." She reached forward, unzipping the upper half of her body suit and shrugging out of it to reveal a red leather halter top. Zankoku finished the last of his tea, setting the delicate cup on the table and watching her from the corner of his eye. He rumbled faintly as she pulled the net from her hair, letting the white locks tumble down.

An'ya blinked at the sound, eyeing Zankoku curiously. He frowned slightly, glancing over at Yami again.I think... I should be leaving soon, Yami. I do not wish to lose control here, he informed her, his mental tone a mix of annoyance and concern.

We both will, she replied soothingly.It would seem to be about time for you to feed, hm?

So it would seem, he nodded.

Mm, all right then. She looked across the table at the other two. "If you two will excuse us, there's a matter that needs to be seen to." Zankoku nodded in agreement, rising to his feet. Yami nodded as well, rising to walk over toward her boots.

Amir looked between them, then over at the girl who was regarding them curiously. "Shall we see you two on board, then?"

"Indeed," Yami replied as she pulled on her boots.

Keep the girl occupied for a few hours, Amir, came the mental suggestion. Go...see to our supplies or something, would you?

All right, he replied.Shouldn't be too hard. Go, Zankoku, I will see to things here.

He gave his younger brother a slight nod, then glanced over at Yami as she picked up the last of her things, taking her arm. She nodded as well as he slipped his boots on, then escorted her to the door. "I'm a bit peckish myself," she said as they walked out, her tone bemused.

Amir watched them go, then looked over at An'ya. "Well, we might as well see to ourselves then."

"Very well," she said, setting her teacup down. "What would you suggest we do?" She regarded him curiously, raising a snow white eyebrow.

"I'm thinking dinner for ourselves, and then we can see to the supplies." He smirked slightly then shook his head. "They're going to be occupied for a few hours.

The corner of her mouth turned up slightly. "Do I want to know?"

"Well, part of it is what you think," he admitting wryly. "The other part is the Feeding."

"Oh?"

He rose to his feet, offering her a hand. "Do your appetites run like Yami's?" he asked as she placed her hand in his, rising to her feet. "High in protein and iron?" She nodded, leaning over to pick up her cloak. "He's essentially the same way. He just needs a willing source."

"Ah..." she murmured softly, fastening the cloak around her neck. He nodded, noting that she was a bit slimmer than her aunt. Svelte, he though to himself, that was the word to describe her.

They both walked to the door to slip their footware back on. She wore boots as well, but hers were more practical than Yami's, the heels being platforms rather than stilettos. "So my dear guest," he said, offering her his arm. "What would you like to consume?"

"Mmm... I'm thinking... meat," she said with a wry smile. "Perhaps a salad for some greens." She glanced over at him. "And perhaps you could bring me up to speed while we eat?"