Fire and Oil

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm going to turn it down. I'll get something closer to home," she said with a very small sigh. "Or you could come with me Kayce," she offered hopefully.

He finished his beer and looked down at the table. Raising his head to look at her, he replied, "I love you Ally but my home is in Texas...with the oil wells. That's all I know." Now it was his turn to hesitate. "You have to go honey. This is what you worked so hard for. You said you wanted to go somewhere you could really help. You have to go."

Alyssa hung her head but not before he saw the tears in her eyes. Kayce stood and pulled her up and put his arms around her. "If you stay here, with me, you'll begin to resent it. Not right away but later and you'll begin to wonder 'what if?'...you'll begin to resent me too. That would destroy us anyway. You have to go."

She held him extra tight and let her tears flow. Kayce's eyes were full of tears also. Finally she pulled back and looked up at him. "I know you're right but it doesn't make leaving you hurt any less. We've got about six weeks before I graduate and have to leave. Hold me tight until then."

Kayce pulled her back in close. "I've got news too. Been offered a chance to work on an oil platform out in the Gulf of Mexico, the money is damned good. I have to spend 3 to 4 weeks at a time out in the Gulf." He kissed the top of her head and added almost sub vocally, "With you gone, it won't make any difference."

They tried to pack a life time of being together in the next six weeks. The day they dreaded finally arrived and Kayce drove Alyssa to the George Bush Intercontinental Airport for her flight to Rochester. "We can't take calls on the rig, only in emergencies, but I'll call you the first time I'm back on shore." He gave her a final kiss at the gate and watched her walk down the jet way to her plane.

They had already closed up their little cabin so he drove back to Beaumont. He put his truck in storage and stayed overnight at his old motel. The next morning he took a taxi to Jack Brooks Regional Airport. It was a clear hot day when Kayce boarded a helicopter which took him to the oil platform, the Rocky, 189 miles out in the Gulf.

The work was hard and more dangerous than working on an oil rig on land. Kayce sort of started at the bottom and applied himself. After 3 weeks the helicopter flew him back to shore. He shared an apartment with two other single guys from the rig. It worked well as one of them was always out on the platform.

Kayce thought about calling Alyssa his first trip back to shore but decided not to. He'd found out later that they had Wi-Fi on the rig and could schedule regular phone calls twice a week. "Won't help," he said out loud. "We still won't be together and it hurts too much. It will just make it harder. Best to just let her go."

For the next four years Kayce worked three weeks on and off one week. About a year after he started on the Rocky, his father passed away due to a massive heart attack. Kayce went home for the funeral and stayed in New Braunfels with his mother for a month. He returned to the oil platform but six months later returned home for his mother's unexpected death. Friends and neighbors said she had never really recovered after his father's death. They left their small ranch to Kayce.

During the next three years, his hard work, attention to detail, and seeing to anything that needed to be done, even if it wasn't in his job description, got him noticed by upper management. He was offered an assistant driller spot on a new platform, the Spirit 4 just floated out 173 miles to its spot in the Gulf. The money was very good and he decided to take the job.

After a few shifts on the new rig, he discovered several problems around the drill pipe. "The gas containment equipment won't handle a lot of pressure," he told his supervisor, John Stewart. "It could cause a blow out."

"I know and I've reported it several times," Stewart answered. "We're still waiting for the big honchos to okay shutting down and making repairs."

Then a month later, the platform decided it had waited long enough. One calm, quiet, moonlit night the well head exploded, known as a blow out. It sent fire and debris over the drill platform. Most of the men were saved by escape pods and the boats that were always anchored around the platform but 10 died. Several men were injured to varying degrees, Kayce being one of them.

The beeping of the monitor and the wheeze of another machine cycling woke Kayce. He came up from under the darkness and started to struggle. He was choking with something deep into his throat and neither arm would move more than a few inches. That was when is eyes opened wide.

A nurse was notified by the beeping machine of his different heart rate and his blood pressure shooting up. She came to the side of Kayce's bed and put a hand on his chest to calm him. "You're fine, don't struggle so and I can tell you what's going one. Okay?"

Kayce looked up at the woman. She seemed concerned and yet calming. He nodded his head and tried to look down at his arms. This time she put her hand on his forehead and stroked it. "This is the Mid Jefferson Extended Care Hospital and I'm you day nurse Violet Smalley. You were in a bad accident and you have some injuries that we had to take care of." She smiled at Kayce and asked "Better now?'

He settled back on his pillows and nodded but again tried to bring his arms up to his throat. "Easy, big guy. You have an intubation tube down your throat to help you breathe; the Doctor will be here very soon and will take it out." Kayce nodded his understanding. "We had to restrain your arms because you tried to remove the tube, even when you were unconscious. I'll remove the restraints but please don't try to remove the tube. Okay?"

A Doctor in his white lab coat came into the room. He checked the vital signs and turned to Kayce. "Mr. Randal, I'm Dr. Klein. You were on the Spirit 4 oil platform out in the Gulf of Mexico. There was an explosion; you and others were injured. Your chest was compressed by the force of the explosion, one of your lungs collapsed and you were having trouble breathing; we had to put an intubation tube in to help you. Now that you can breathe on your own so let's get that tube out of your throat and then I go over you injuries. Okay?" Kayce nodded as vigorously as he could.

"When I start pulling on the tub please cough," Dr. Klein ordered. 'It's going to feel strange but just cough." He turned off the ventilator, disconnected the tube at the machine. He took hold of the tube close to Kayce's mouth and started to pull upward. "Now cough," he ordered.

The tube came out and Kayce coughed again as it cleared his throat. He tried to talk but all that came out was a rasp. Violet fed him some ice chips to ease his throat. After a couple of minutes and several spoons of ice chips, Kayce was able to croak out a question. "How long have I been here?" He whispered.

"It's been 10 days," Dr. Klein answered. "You have bruised ribs on your right side, your left arm has a hair line fracture but the most serious injury was the collapsed lung. That was why the intubation tube."

"How soon can I get out of here?" Kayce croaked.

"We've been able to inflate your lung, the arm fracture is already healing and your ribs are coming along. Tomorrow we'll get a few tests and in two or three days get rid of the hard cast and replace it with a soft one. If your tests are positive, I'd say in ten days to two weeks or so; if you keep improving. I'll check on you late this afternoon Mr. Randal." Dr. Klein left the room.

"I'll get you some soft food, until your throat has healed a bit," Violet promised. She left the room but quickly stepped back in. "There is a man from the oil company that wants to talk to you. Are you up to it?"

Kayce nodded and shortly a small man in a suit and tie came in. "I'm Gerald Withers Mr. Randal. I work for and represent Crescent Oil, the owners of the Spirit 4 oil platform. I'd like to talk to you about the accident at the platform. Can you tell me what happened from your prospective?"

Hesitating for a few seconds and talking in not much more than a whisper, Kayce told Withers the problem with the gas containment system. He continued that he reported the problem to John Stewart and Stewart was in turn told they were waiting for permission to shut the well down and fix the problem. "It blew up about a month later."

"Mr. Stewart and nine others were killed in the explosion," Withers said. "Several others had some burns, and other injuries; including you." Withes paused and stared at Kayce for about ten seconds. "Let's be frank Mr. Randal, are you planning to bring a law suit against Crescent Oil?"

Kayce paused before answering. He now knew the man was a lawyer for the company. He wasn't interest in the cause of the accident, or the injured or fatalities, just what the legal aspects were. "Before you answer Mr. Randal, we intend to take care of all your medical bills, along with any rehabilitation you need. Also we will come to a monetary settlement with you to help you through your convalescence. In addition your job will be available to you after you are back on your feet." Withers' tone was one of 'see how the company will take good care of you and aren't we magnanimous'.

The tone and self serving attitude of the company man didn't set well with Kayce. "Let me tell you a few things Mr. Withers," Kayce said with some heat. "First, I've paid for my medical insurance since I started at Spindle Top several years ago. My medical bills will be covered with or without Crescent Oil; so don't make it sound like you are doing me a favor. Second, this is the second time an oil rig has tried to kill me; don't think I'll be giving any others another shot at me, I'm done. And lastly, I don't plan on a law suit at this time; but that's still a possibility. Unless that settlement is substantial, we could have a problem."

Withers sat back in surprise as the young oil worker verbally attacked him. "I want a million dollars tax free or I'll see you in court," Kayce continued.

"Now see here Mr. Randal that is outrageous. If you sue it will be held up in for years in the courts. You could be an old man before a ruling." Withers had leaned forward in his chair and now sat back.

"You're right Withers, it could be a long time, years maybe. But y'all are responsible for this accident. Y'all knew about the problem but because of the cost did nothing about it. Sides, I've got a ranch I'm headin to when I get out of here. I can make a living there so I got plenty of time. A million dollars, tax free Withers. Already has been a couple of lawyer type fellars here wantin to represent me. Take it to your masters; y'all got until I get shed this place to make up your mind. That's it now get, I'm done talkin."

Violet came back as Withers scurried out. "You lit a fire under his tail, didn't you?" She observed. "Sorry, I heard everything; your voice carries or I was listening in. Take your choice." The last was said with a smile. "When did those layers show up?"

"Well," Kayce said with a big grin. "That part might have might not have happened, but Withers didn't know that."

Over the next several days, Kayce continued to improve. His ribs hurt less each day, his throat healed up and he got rid of the soft cast on his arm. Withers had been back with a lesser offer which did nothing but make Kayce mad. He told Withers the next time he saw him the company better be sending the settlement he wanted. Finally on the day before Kayce was to be released, Withers showed up again.

"I've got your check for one million dollars and the taxes have been taken care of," Withers said with a hint of anger. "Sign this non disclosure agreement and the money is yours."

"Now, ain't that easier than a court battle," Kayce grinned as he signed the agreement. "Smart move on Crescent's part; lawyer fees over the years would have cost them more than this check."

Dr. Klein came to release Kayce with a warning. "You're in pretty good condition, considering everything. But you're not 100% yet. Heard about your ranch so take it easy for a few weeks when you get home and work your cattle."

"Doc, never did see the sense in followin the south end of a north bound cow. Just don't much care for the beasts," Kayce offered. "The ranch is just a place for me to lay up and heal for a spell. I'll take it easy."

He said good bye to Violet, got a taxi to where his truck was in storage and set the nose of the truck toward Spring Branch and home. Once he got to his ranch, he opened up the house and began his life after oil.

********************

Kayce became a regular at a couple honky tonks in the area. He wasn't a big drinker but he liked the people and liked to dance. Because of the settlement he didn't have to work nor did he have to watch his money too close. Then after a month or so he ran into Sally Ann Rogers.

She was cute at just over 5 and a half feet, with long blonde hair down her back and put together very well. She sure fills out those jeans, Kayce thought they first time he saw her. Sally Ann liked to dance and party and she latched onto Kayce. He's good lookin, has money to spend and don't smell like cattle or a factory, Sally Ann thought. Think I'll just put my brand on him to warn off the other women. He don't need no body but me.

The two were a pair or a couple or whatever for a going on to three months. Over the weeks, they had spent a few nights out at the ranch or at her apartment. Sally Ann worked in an office from 8 AM to 4 so she couldn't party all night every night and she shared the two bedroom apartment with another girl. As for Kayce it was a good time with a pretty girl. He liked Sally Ann, she was fun and playful but his intentions didn't head for anything permanent. He never made any promises, talked about or even hinted at anything more than good times. For Sally Ann, she saw Kayce as a way to a good life without having to work too much. That was when Kayce saw Alyssa at one of the honky tongs.

********************

Kayce watched as Alyssa and her female companion were asked to dance by several different men. The companion would dance with about one out of three of the men, one guy more than once. Alyssa turned down the invitations with a smile and a negative shake of her head. After about 30 minutes, Kayce decided to say hello. When her partner got up to dance again, Kayce slipped into the seat next to Alyssa. She turned to see who had taken the seat and to inform them that someone was sitting there.

"Hello Ally," Kayce said. "It's been a long time."

Alyssa was shocked to see him. The look on her face went from disbelief, to happiness, to sadness and finally to anger. As much as a surprise to her as to Kayce, she slapped his cheek. Alyssa couldn't believe her actions and her face turned red in embarrassment. "What the hell happened to you?" she asked as her embarrassment passed. "You disappeared from my life."

"Guess I deserved that," he said as he rubbed this face. "It's really good to see you Ally, in spite of your greeting." He smiled at her and gestured to a new by empty booth. "Can we sit somewhere more private? We can talk and I'll explain."

Alyssa caught her friend's eye and motioned to the booth. Then she got up with her glass of wine and moved to the more private area. Kayce followed her and sat down across from her. A waitress came by to get their order. "I have a drink, Alyssa told her. Kayce shook his head. Alyssa looked at Kayce expectantly.

"You look good Ally. I'm surprised to see you here. Thought you would be in Rochester or some other big city."

"I came back home about 4 years ago."

Kayce looked at her for about 30 seconds trying to gather his courage and she stared back. "I'm sorry I didn't call you Ally, but I got to thinking about it. We could only talk or email and we still wouldn't be together. You started your dream job and I had a three year contract on the oil platform. We wouldn't get to see each, not more than a few times a year, for a day or two at a time, if that. Honestly it would have hurt too much."

"What about me?" Alyssa protested. What about how I felt?"

"I know..... I took the coward's way out. If I didn't have to talk to you I wouldn't think about you all the time. I just couldn't think of you without being able to see you. There was no way we could be together and I didn't want to hurt all the time. I knew you would be hurt but thought with the excitement of your new job and a new city you could get on with your life a lot easier."

Alyssa stared at him for almost a minute as he sat and waited for her to explode or maybe slap him again or tell him to go to hell and get up and leave.

"A well thought out plan, at least from your side," Alyssa complained. "But there is one thing that has kept me thinking of you every day." She sat and waited for the question from Kayce.

"Okay, what kept you thinking about me every day?" A puzzled Kayce asked.

"We have a son."

"What? When? How?"

Alyssa had to grin. "I think you know how; we never could keep our hands off each other and it was really intense those last six weeks before I graduated and moved to Rochester."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"How was I supposed to find you? I didn't have a number to call or an email or an address to write to you. And you never told me which oil platform you were going to be working on. I didn't even know what company you were working for. So how was I supposed to tell you?" Alyssa sat back to calm down. She motioned for the waitress and ordered another glass of wine.

"You want something Kayce?" the waitress asked.

"A whiskey...a large one," Kayce answered.

"Okay, your usual brand? By the way where's Sally Ann tonight?"

"Out with a girlfriend I guess," he replied.

"Who's Sally Ann?" Alyssa asked as the waitress walked away.

"A girl I'm dating. Never mind, tell me about my, er, OUR son. What's his name? What's he like?"

Alyssa smiled with a mother's love on her face. "His name is Joel Morgan, after my father and another important man in my life. He's 5 and big for his age. He's a handful. Always wanting to run around outside. He likes animals and it's all I can do to keep him away from the small stream running behind our place." She smiled at Kayce. "He's the spitting image of you Kayce. Same hair, same eyes and he's going to be a pretty big man once he gets his growth."

Kayce sat staring at the table as Alyssa finished with a big smile on his face. "You named him after me?" He said with an amazed tone. He was proud and humbled at the same time. "I know I don't have the right but can I meet him?"

"Would you like to see his picture?" Alyssa asked. At an enthusiastic nod from Kayce, she scrolled through the galley on her phone coming to one of Joel's pictures. She handed the phone to Kayce.

He stared at the picture for almost a minute before handing the phone back. Kayce couldn't speak.

Alyssa thought about it and then answered, "Want to come to our place tomorrow? I think it's about time you two met."

"Damn right. Tell me when and where and I'll be there. Should I bring him a present or something?" Kayce was very excited.

"Not this time, maybe later. I'm renting a place over on Stanford near the hospital, makes it easier to get to work. Come out around Noon, you can have lunch with us. Give me your phone and I'll put my number and address in. I'll even send you that picture of Joel. You do have a phone don't you?"

"Ya, I broke down and got one." He handed his phone to her and after it had been returned Kayce asked "Why did you come back home?"

"The Mayo was fine and I learned a lot but Rochester isn't home. I'd always wanted to work in New Braunfels or even San Antonio. Another big reason is my folks are here and I wanted them to know Joel. So I applied for and got a job at Christus Santa Rosa Hospital and got it."