Flash Fire Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I could feel the slight puffs of his breath against my temple, an odd scent of cinnamon and mint. I smiled at the tenderness of it all. The moment was perfect and I was content to stay forever.

His nose caressed my cheek and I knew he was going to steal a kiss. The music slid into the background, our steps slowed to a stop. I looked with slumberous eyes up into the violet depths of his. There was no lust there, no selfish need, or mocking amusement. There was just a revered wonder I couldn't understand. His lips drew nearer with every beat of my heart. I never wanted to kiss a man the way I wanted to kiss him. It was a desperate need I couldn't repress, a compulsion that consumed me. I would die if I didn't know what he tasted like.

Then I was cruelly yanked out of his embrace and dizzily found myself in the arms of the blond stranger from earlier, the one with the flower-eating kid.

"Mind if I cut in on this one, Mattie? Doesn't look like you know how to dance to a lively tune," said the man who jerked me around in a fast turn.

I desperately tried to keep my eyes on Matt as I was twirled about the dance floor. Confusion swamped my senses. One moment I was in heaven, and the next I was slammed back to earth. Matt's eyes flashed purple fire as he dodged dancing couples to get to me. There was a shock of excitement when I realized he was trying to rescue me.

"So, beautiful," the stranger purred, "why don't you tell me your name and I'll give you the night of your life."

I looked at the man I was tensely dancing with. I was immediately affronted. Not only was the jerk married, but he also deemed me unworthy of a proper pick-up line! Did he think I would simply fall for his looks? I eyed him critically and took in his blond hair stylishly flattened in a messy way against his head. His facial features were striking with the straightest nose I've ever seen and his stature was tall with slight muscular bulk. I was never into men with bulging muscles. They always show off. I had to admit, he carried himself well and his ice blue eyes held a strange appeal.

"Won't your wife be angry, promising strange women the 'night of their lives'?" It was a tired line, but said with ice behind it, it always had the desired affect.

A pained expression flashed across his face as a passing cloud briefly covered the sunlight. The image was striking in an artistic sense and it was enough to squeeze an answering emotion in me. I wish I hadn't said it. I pushed aside my guilt and tried for scorn instead. He was probably a divorcee taken for everything because he was found humping the neighbor, or some equivalent scenario.

His smile was sickly as he answered. "My wife died two years ago," he whispered.

My face fell. No way was he telling the truth, but the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach told me different.

I was instantly contrite. "I'm sorry." The words fell between us, a flimsy offering to his pain and I felt worse.

"It's fine. You didn't know. I'm Jack," he looked at me, trying to lighten the mood.

"Elaine," I mumbled.

"Elaine, the miracle worker," he spun me in a graceful way.

"Huh?" What miracle and why wasn't I aware of it?

"Mattie hasn't shown interest in a woman for a few months. He's been strangely morbid. You brought him back." Jack kissed me on the cheek, his way of thanks. I thought it was sweet of him and understood he was joking earlier. My guilt doubled when I realized that I judged him cruelly.

I was going to ask more questions, but didn't get the chance. In one eloquent move, I was swiped from Jack back into Matt's capable arms. He drew me close with determination, swooped down, and kissed me. My body was on autopilot. Instead of jerking away from Matt and smacking him across the face -- I'm not the type to kiss on the first date -- I kissed him back.

Instinctively I opened my mouth to allow him entrance. In the past, I loathed kissing. I found it disgustingly sloppy.

Matt's kiss was demanding, claiming in a way I barely understood. My knees weakened, I grew light-headed, and my heart fluttered. This was no drool session, but a pleasant prelude to other more pleasurable things. A wicked promise.

He released me after an infinite amount of time. I wondered if the second Ice Age had come and gone. He smiled down at my dazed look while he lightly caressed my cheek with crooked finger.

"I'm beginning to adore that funny little expression you make when I catch you off guard," he whispered and that cinnamon mint cloud pulled me further into his lure.

"Nice!" Jack explained as he came up behind me. "Now it's my turn." He moved like he was going to kiss me too.

Matt threw his head back and laughed as he held me closer to his body. I could feel his nose in my hair. How primal of us, to want to memorize each other's unique fragrance.

"No, Jack. This one's taken," he said, "but there's a woman behind you that wouldn't mind your kiss."

Jack turned to find a stern Amazon woman scowling at him. With a face like hers, she could have been a model. Her golden hair was up in a loose ponytail with curvy wisps framing her perfect heart-shaped face. There was an exotic tilt to her light eyebrows and an authoritative gleam to her green eyes. I admired the beautiful wicked queen aura surrounding her.

While her face was runway material, her body was a whole other story. She had a sporty, tall figure I envied. Don't get me wrong, I had a great shape and I worked out to stay at my peak weight, but I wouldn't mind some curvy muscle in my arms and a flat, textured stomach like hers. Both arms and stomach were wonderfully showcased in a sleeveless button-up red blouse cut off an inch above her navel. She wore pristine black slacks complete with the cutest high-heeled boots I had ever seen.

Apparently Jack did not appreciate the Amazon beauty because his face instantly turned bland. Matt grinned like an idiot. Jack grimaced at her -- I think it was suppose to be a smile.

"Hey, Chief," he gritted out.

"Do you know where your daughter is right now?" she crossed her arms.

Jack looked alarmed. "Not near the punch bowl! She's wearing white!" he groaned. "Her aunt's gunna KILL me if it's stained..."

"You're lucky then. Jessie stopped her from putting a hand through the wedding cake and is holding her hostage. I think she's torturing her with tummy tickles. You better stop drooling over your friend's girl and go get her."

He narrowed his eyes and put his face inches away from hers. "You wish it was you I was drooling after, sweet cheeks." It was said in a low tone, but I could hear it.

Her eyes widened in shocked fury as he walked away supposedly to get his daughter out of cake defiler's prison. She put her hands on her hips and stared long and hard at his back.

"That man thinks he's God's gift to women and then some. I hate men like that." Her tone was harsh, but lightened when she added, "Nice ass though."

I had to agree. The fire department was uncommonly blessed with good-looking men.

She turned back to me and stuck out her hand. "I'm Jax, Fire Chief and all around friend of these beautiful, burly men."

"Nice to meet you," I shook her hand and found her grip sturdy. Good thing I was no lightweight.

"Thank you so much," she murmured to me with earnestness shinning in her eyes.

"F-for what?" I asked though I could already guess.

"For making Mattie happy again. I've only known him in his brooding state. The guys told me what he was like before I came. I care about my boys, so seeing Mattie the way he should be makes me happy." She gave me a hug and walked away.

I turned back to Matt and found him looking embarrassed. It was probably uncomfortable having everyone thank your date.

"Now that everyone's through thanking you..." He pulled me back into his arms.

I was mesmerized by him, easily falling back under his spell. It was disconcerting. Maybe it was those violet eyes that made me susceptible to his charms. But then, I wasn't looking at his eyes. I was more interested in his lips. They looked soft and inviting, the type of lips that would always give perfect kisses.

Matt was slowly descending for another kiss; I didn't think I would survive it. We were at the edge of the picnic, closer to the woods than everyone else. No one paid attention to us. There was no escape for me as he closed in.

A plaintive mewing caught my attention. I looked away from Matt's hypnotic lips and looked to the edge of the woods. A small, furry black creature staggered towards us. It lifted its delicate head, neon yellow eyes meeting mine, and mewed again before it collapsed. Alarmed, I wrenched myself from Matt's arms to go to the poor creature.

As I drew closer, I noticed it was a small black kitten. I dropped to my knees beside it and made sure it was still breathing. Tears gathered in my eyes and I removed my sunglasses to wipe them away. The cat was still alive, but barely. It seemed to be badly injured.

I heard Matt's steps coming closer. "What is it, Elaine? What's wrong?" he asked.

"It's a kitten," I whispered as I gently picked it up. "The poor thing's been hurt."

I stood up cautious not to jostle it. I've never owned an animal before so I didn't know if a vet would be open on a Saturday. I didn't even know the time. Panic spread through me. What was I going to do? This kitten needed me and I was clueless. I turned to Matt, who looked at the kitten in my arms with concern. Then he looked at me. His jaw set as he saw the panic in my eyes.

"Follow me," he said in a soft yet commanding tone. He marched back toward the picnic, and reached in his pocket for his cell phone.

I blindly followed him. My worry swamped me so I couldn't do anything else. After Matt ended a call, he made another. I was crooning encouragement to the kitten, telling the little darling that it had a lot to live for, and promising I would make sure it had a wonderful life if it just found the will to live.

Matt slipped his cell phone back in his pocket and glanced at me to make sure I was still following. He flashed me a smile to reassure me.

"I know a good vet's office not far from here. They're not usually open on the weekends, but I called in a favor. Don't worry, sweetheart. The kitten will get the best care," he said.

I greedily grabbed onto his words and they worked in calming my panic. At least someone knew what to do.

--~~--

He squinted his eyes against the bright scene laid out before him. People wore bright clothes, smiled, laughed, and danced. They seemed innocent, but he knew better. Behind every shinny, perfect picture there was a dark, heinous sin waiting to be uncovered.

Beyond the party he watched his angel get into a vehicle with the demon and black furry abomination.

It was torture remembering his angel twirling around the makeshift dance floor like a precious jewel box dancer. Her sparkling eyes glued to the demon dancing with her. Elaine was an innocent in the ways of demons. She didn't know the man she was with had sin on his mind. She didn't know he wanted to taint her.

It was clear he had to save her. His future happiness depended on it. He hid in the forest on the outskirts of the park. The tree he hid behind bore claw marks from his bloody fingernails.

He would forget his list of sinners for a while. His angel needed to be saved and the demon that threatened her would die the same way he was born -- in a blazing inferno.

A groan erupted from him. He should have strangled the damn cat not kick it. He hadn't meant for his angel to take notice of the evil kitten. He had seen the string of emotions that ran across her face -- curiosity, shock, and panic with tears welling in her eyes. She had run to the pathetic thing, fell to her knees, and carefully examined it.

The demon seducer had followed after her. Of course the devil spawn would want to help his familiar.

He gritted his teeth in frustration. His error in judgment helped the demon. Pretending to help the angel save the kitten would endear the demon to her and make sure the familiar would have a place in her household afterwards. The familiar would be a perfect guard...a guard against any good person who wished to save the angel.

12