For Silence's Sake Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Claude responded. "There have been inklings for years but we've only known for certain these past couple of months."

"You should have expelled him."

Pauline turned to her Alphas, mouth open to respond. Her Alpha silenced her with a look. "Phillip has done nothing to warrant expulsion from the pack."

Calvin Ross interjected. "Are you finished, Alpha Gates? May I continue?"

Gates shot him an ugly look, but nodded.

"Sampson!"

The Ross Beta strode forward and stood stiffly. "Strip."

Sampson proceeded to remove his clothing, dropping shirt and pants to the floor. "Sit." Sampson took his place in the chair.

"What is this?" Severn asked.

"A demonstration."

Pauline looked over at the Ross Beta. This was the male her son was pining for. Older, battle-scarred. Dominant. A contrast to her baby.

Sampson was blindfolded. He sat there, stoically, hands resting on his thighs.

There were articles of clothing held in Ziploc bags. Calvin pulled out a bag and checked the writing on it. Holding it under Sampson's nose, he opened it. Sampson inhaled. "Female."

The bag was passed to Mary Foster. "Yes."

[Madam Beta, please focus on my Beta's penis.] Lyssa, startled, shifted the camera's aim to Sampson's lap and his flaccid cock.

Another bag. "Male." ... "Yes."

Another bag. "Female." ... "Yes."

As Calvin pulled out the next bag, he handed it to Stephanie. Graham Gates asked, "Why are we staring at your Beta's member while he demonstrates the ability any pup is capable of?"

"At this time, I would ask all other males to leave the room."

There was some grumbling, but they complied. When the door shut, Stephanie brought the bag, in which the article of clothing was double-bagged, before Sampson. She opened the first bag, then the second. At that point, everyone present understood.

Sampson inhaled. "A female, in heat."

Mary Foster looked significantly at Sampson's lap. The scent that would garner an immediate reaction from every male in a den did nothing for Sampson.

The bags were sealed up again and the smell dissipated. The males came back into the room.

Pauline's eyes widened but she said nothing as Mary gripped her arm.

Sampson's nostrils flared, his hands clamped on to the arms of the chair.

And his cock rose.

"What is it?" "What's happened?" "Who's there?" The questions came from numerous throats.

Two trembling hands fell onto Sampson's shoulders and his cock jumped in response.

Lyssa shifted the focus of the camera. Moved it up to Sampson's face. Eyes closed, nostrils flared. The look on his face was pained.

The camera rose to Phil's face; one that held fear and anticipation.

"Your Beta does not look happy."

"His body recognizes his mate, Phillip, though he's trying to deny it." Phil wrapped his arms around Sampson's chest.

Sampson broke the arm off the chair.

"Phillip!" Phil's eyes snapped to the screen. "I am Alpha of Severn."

"Alpha Severn." Phil's breath whispered, past Sampson's ear. Sampson shivered. "You met at the unmated gathering, is that correct?"

"Yes, Alpha."

"Did you submit to this male because he is Beta?"

"No, Alpha."

"Phillip," Stephanie started, "our Beta did not approach you at the gathering, did he?"

"No, Madam Alpha. I watched. He took no female to bed so I went to him."

"What did you do?"

Phil's eyes took on a slightly frightened look. "I, I grabbed his face and kissed him."

"Did he return the kiss?"

"No. He hit me."

Sampson cleared his throat. "I was startled, defensive."

"Did you return his attentions, Beta?"

Graham Gates interjected. "They smelled of sex."

"So, yes, Beta?"

Sampson inhaled. "Yes."

The Foster Alpha posed the next question. "Why haven't you called for your mate?"

Phil's arms tightened around Sampson's chest. Sampson's mouth opened, closed, opened again.

"Beta?"

"It's not safe."

Pauline's breath caught.

The three guests were escorted to one of the small rooms nearby as the council continued their deliberations.

"Do we accept an Alpha who has mated with another male? There would be no pups, no Alpha heir."

Calvin spoke quietly, sadly. "We have that now, have had it in the past. There are ways to address succession."

"Would you have him as Alpha?"

"He is a fine Beta. I would." Calvin swallowed, thinking of the next resolution he intended to bring before the council.

Randall spoke next. "Denying them is tantamount to forced mating. It is keeping true mates from each other. Two wolves who care for each other, love each other, need each other."

"Think of your own mate and how you would feel without her."

Calvin closed his eyes for a moment, seeing his first mate, Sabine. As he opened his eyes, he left the emerald color of Sabine's eyes and looked into Stephanie's jade green eyes.

He reached for her hand and offered her a smile.

Lyssa looked around and asked, "Does anyone here have anything new to add?"

The Foster Alpha said, "I move we vote."

Graham Gates said, "Second."

"Alright, then. Foster." "Yea." "Gates" "No."

Lyssa was surprised that Severn voted against the resolution which put them at three against and one in favor. With Tucker, Ross, and Wyeth left it would be Tucker who decided it.

The Tucker Alpha hesitated briefly, looking at the other Alphas.

An inhale. "Tucker votes yea."

Two more Yea votes and Lyssa breathed. "Resolution passed. Wolves of the same sex are allowed to mate."

While mostly silent, some pack council members grumbled.

Lyssa cleared her throat. "Um, OK. Any new business?"

"Madam chairwoman, I have another resolution to bring before the council."

"Sure, Alpha Ross. Go ahead."

Calvin squeezed Stephanie's hand. "I propose that we allow a pack Alpha to be female."

"What?!" The council members erupted again.

Stephanie was shocked and stared at her mate.

-

Sampson kept himself removed from Phil as Pauline examined the male that might be her son's mate. [Are you happy to see me? At all?] Phil asked.

[It only makes it harder.]

Phil choked up and turned away. He would be denied.

They all turned when yelling issued from the conference room. Pauline asked the question, "What does it mean?"

It was a few minutes later that the Alphas of Foster entered the room. The three wolves inside inhaled in unison and held their breath.

Steven Foster said, without preamble, "It's passed."

Pauline turned to her son, threw her arms around him, and burst into tears. "Oh, baby, I'm so happy for you."

She then reached out an arm and grasped Sampson's sleeve, drawing him to them. Phil turned to him with a brilliant smile.

Sampson looked shocked and unsure of what to do.

Pauline looked between the two of them as the Ross Alphas came in. "Well. Go on."

Calvin wore a weary smile and Stephanie a worried frown.

Sampson glanced over. "What happened?"

Foster replied. "Your Alpha has brought a new resolution before the council. It was also not... well received."

Phil and Pauline looked at him. "What resolution?"

Sampson replied. "To allow a female to lead a pack." He looked knowingly at Stephanie. She glared at him.

Calvin cleared his throat. "Sampson, would you bring your mate with you tonight or would you go with him?"

Phillip was fairly vibrating with anticipation of the answer and was watching Sampson closely.

Sampson looked at Phil, looked down, and licked his lips. "I don't know.."

"Beta.." [Mom!]

Phil closed on Sampson. Reaching out, his fingers extended toward Sampson's face. Sampson's chest heaved and he closed his eyes. He flinched as contact was made.

[Beta, I want to spend the night with you.] Soft blue eyes were locked on to a face he didn't think he could live without.

The rest of the wolves in the room watched, holding their collective breaths. Pauline had her hands clasped tightly together. A send came to Sampson then, from a female. [Beta, give in.]

Sampson's eyes flicked to the green eyes of his female Alpha, who wore a slight smile.

He then turned his head to look at her more directly and she gave a barely perceptible nod, then glanced at Calvin.

Sampson swallowed and turned to Phil. "Alright."

Phil fell to his knees, overwhelmed. He wrapped his arms around Sampson's waist and pressed the side of his face to Sampson's abdomen. "Thank you," he whispered, "thank you."

Pauline's breath caught and she swept forward to hug them both. Sampson jerked, taken aback as Pauline kissed the side of his head. "Oh, I'm so happy. Oh, my baby. Oh, Selene, thank you."

The others watched, some embarrassed by the display.

Phil was following his nose, nuzzling a little lower on Sampson's body, working his way to the prize he knew awaited him.

Sampson put Pauline away from him with a bit of a grimace and raised Phil to his feet, clearing his throat.

"Um. Beta, this is my mother, Pauline."

"Pauline. How do you do?"

"Oh, Sampson." Sampson fended off another hug, "Thank you for making my baby happy." She sniffed. "Take care of him."

Sampson opened his mouth, ready to say he hadn't claimed Phil as yet, when that same voice came to his brain. [Quiet.] His mouth closed with a snap.

Calvin looked at the two and at his mate, who turned and frowned at him. There would be an uncomfortable conversation later.

"Come, we have things to discuss and I would do it in our den."

[Randall, thank you for your hospitality.]

[I wish you luck, Cal. Good evening.]

"Pauline, come. We need to get back." The Alpha Foster turned to the door.

Pauline moved over and kissed Phillip quickly three times before pulling away, smiling, tears in her eyes.

Sampson headed for the driver's seat when Calvin said, "Sampson, keys."

"Alpha?"

"You will sit in the back. I'll drive."

Stephanie got into the passenger seat as Calvin took the keys and slid in. Sampson hesitated before pulling the door open and entering the back seat. Phil was already there.

Sampson sat stiffly, trying to maintain a bit of distance between himself and Phil.

"So, Phillip, what is it you do for the pack?"

"Um, oh, Alpha Ross, I take care of the lawn, the snow. Other things."

"I see. And you have a sister?"

"Yes, sir. Alpha. She's older." He inched closer to Sampson.

[You should have told me.] She crossed her arms, annoyed.

[Can we wait until we get back to the den, mate?]

Stephanie grumbled, but fell silent.

Phil moved a little closer to Sampson. [Beta, is something wrong?]

Sampson inhaled. [I have no idea what to do.]

[What do you want to do?] Phil smiled at him and placed a hand on his thigh.

-

After closing the meeting and severing connections, Lyssa went down to the kitchen. She wanted ice cream. And coffee.

She snagged Emmanuel as he chased Tonya and dropped a brief kiss on his head as he growled. He was 'it' and Tonya was getting away.

Emmett came down after her. He generally gave her some space after a meeting but the new resolution looked to be as contentious as the last. So, he followed her scent down the stairs.

She was standing over the Keurig while Simon was ladling a red sauce over three scoops of a chocolate ice cream studded with nuts and cradled in a split banana. She lifted the cup to her nose and inhaled deeply as Simon placed the banana split on the small table. He looked up. "Is it true, Beta? That packs could be led by a female Alpha?"

"The Madam Beta would know better than I, Simon. But, that's what I heard."

It annoyed Lyssa that Simon had to ask Emmett about the resolution. But she thanked him for the ice cream as she savored the first bite. [It's never gonna end.]

-

Calvin kept half an eye on the occupants of the back seat and the other on the road, while occasionally casting glances at his angry mate. This was his plan for the pack. Without an heir, he wanted Stephanie to lead after he was gone. He thought she might be denying his age, his mortality, and, perhaps, her own ability to lead. He saw Alpha in her. Had seen it long ago.

She stalked to their suite and he followed. As he closed the door she rounded on him, eyes flashing, "Coward!"

-

Phil looked around him with interest as he entered the den. It was frightening, being surrounded by strange scents, strange wolves. But Sampson was nearby, which was comforting.

A couple of wolves watched with interest as they passed, and inhaled.

Sampson got a couple of beers and handed one to Phil.

He took a swig as Sampson downed his and got another. He didn't look at Phil but watched the interest the others were taking in him. A low growl started in his chest that he bit back.

Phil was confused. He was quiet on the drive over, quiet now. He should be happy. They could be together. But there hadn't been a touch, a kiss. What was wrong?

As he finished the beer, he realized Sampson was nervous.

So, as it had been at the gathering, he would have to make the move. Phil touched Sampson's hand, [Beta, could I see your room?]

Sampson blinked and swallowed. [I don't think .. My room is small.]

[Show me.]

They climbed the stairs slowly and walked down the hall, Phil a bit behind. Sampson grasped the knob and opened the door. Then gasped. While he'd been gone, his bed had been replaced. The queen sized bed took up most of the room; you couldn't walk around it.

Phil peeked around Sampson. He never expected a Beta's room to be so small. He pushed under Sampson's arm and crawled onto the bed. Sampson's breath caught at the sight.

As he lay back on the bed, Phil stretched out a hand. "C'mon."

Sampson looked at him, at the bright smile, the blue eyes. He inhaled, deeply, and, after a moment's hesitation, climbed on. The door snicked shut behind him.

-

Emmett and Lyssa were spooned together and Emmanuel was curled up with them. "Em," she said quietly, "can you tell me about your family?"

"I wasn't much older than Emmanuel when they died. I really don't remember much."

"But you remember something."

He tightened his grip on her. "I remember Otto giving me a couple of rides and, once, he brought me a rabbit to chase. Jackson, well, he took me to the opposite end of the range once and left me there to get back on my own."

"What about your mother? What was she like?"

"I don't know. She was my mom."

"What's the best thing you remember about her?"

"She would sing around the house. And she couldn't sing."

"What kind of songs?"

"The only one I can remember is 'Mack the Knife'."

"Huh?"

In a singsong, Emmett chanted,

"Oh, the shark has,

Pretty teeth, dear,

And he shows them,

Pearly white."

Lyssa started shaking, laughing quietly. "Really?"

Emmett smiled. "Yeah."

Composing herself, Lyssa sighed. "What about your father?"

"Big. Strong. Came home to my mother every night. It's not real clear."

"I'm sorry." Emmett's family had died in a fire; his mother had pushed her youngest out a window. He was the only one who had survived.

"Ah, sweetheart. I wish I could have known them longer but my life would not have been the same. And I might never have met you." She pulled his hand to her lips and kissed it. "So, how many kids did you want?"

"I never really thought about it. As many as you want, I guess. How many do you want?"

"Three's a good number, I guess."

"Three sounds good to me."

-

It was early morning when Calvin called across the room. "Mate. Please. I know you're not comfortable there and I'm having trouble sleeping without you here."

Stephanie was laying on the loveseat, which was too small for her to sleep on. She twisted and huffed and turned and groaned. "Stephanie. Little one. I knew you wouldn't like it. But Sampson has no desire to lead and I don't want anyone else in charge of my pack. Our pack."

She sat up and looked over at him. Her voice was low, but he could hear her clearly, "I can't lead the pack. How can I lead the pack?"

"You are fair and reasonable and can be ruthless when you need to be."

"I can't do it without you."

"I'm sorry, little one, that my age is what it is. That..." he sighed, "An Alpha looks for the best for his pack. Little one, you are the best choice to succeed me." There was a slight pause. "Please, mate, come to bed."

Groaning as she rose, she grumbled as she strode across the intervening space. He watched her lithe, muscular body as she approached. His body responded to the sight. As she slid under the covers, he pulled her against him. She relaxed against him with a loud exhalation and it was only a few minutes before sleep claimed both.

It was an hour or so later that he woke and found her gone from the bed. Sleepily, he listened for her. Somewhere in the room? No. Bathroom? No. She normally didn't snack in the middle of the night. [Mate?]

No answer.

[Stephanie?] Still no response.

[Has anyone seen the Alpha female?]

[No, Alpha.] Bethany, in the kitchens. [No, Alpha.] Trevor, in the garage.

[She was in the upper corridor, Alpha.] Gretchen, a pregnant female, near the end of her confinement. Probably awake from the discomfort.

[Cal. Do you need help?]

[Stay with your mate, Sampson.] Sampson saw the glistening of a pair of eyes looking at him. The eyes of the other male in his bed. Phil had woken when he stirred at his Alpha's call. After a few moments, the eyes closed again.

-

Calvin rose and climbed the stairs, picking up and following the scent of his mate. The next stairwell. She had gone to the roof.

Why in the world was she..? Oh.

He stood, one foot on the first riser, thinking. He couldn't possibly get her sister here. Who in the pack sounded like her? He strove to remember the sound of Izadora's voice.

Shirley.

Calvin trod the stairs, unsure of what he would find at the top.

She was standing, arms wrapped around herself, barefoot in the snow. She was at the corner of the building, humming to herself.

She glanced over her shoulder at him, then looked back over the range. At the dark of the moon, the stars were out. The size of the packs' land meant less light from man made sources but it was still impossible to see the fainter stars. The night was clear, cloudless, and cold.

Her breath fogged out around her and a light breeze stirred her short hair.

"Lavinia? Livvy?"

She glanced over her shoulder again then looked up into the sky, eyes searching. "Come back inside, Livvy."

Stephanie turned a bit and regarded him. "Why? I like it here."

"It's cold out here. Come in where it's warm."

"Not cold."

He took a step forward and she lifted her foot, to retreat. He stepped back. [Shirley. I'm sorry to wake you, but I need you to come to the roof.]

He had to get her off the roof. In her human form she could get frostbite and he didn't think he could coax her into her wolven form. What was below her at this corner of the den?

Storage room, other side. There was a wall here.

She stood sideways, looking out but keeping an eye on him. She turned toward the noise of the roof's door.

[Shirley, please, don't show yourself.] The door, partway open, stopped. [Please call out, with these words, 'Livvy, come inside now.'"]

"Livvy. Come inside now." The call was rather timid. Stephanie looked confused.

[With confidence, Shirley, as if you were calling back an errant pup. Try Lavinia for the name. Scold.]

"Lavinia! Come back inside." Stephanie's head whipped around and she took a step forward, then hesitated.

[Again.]

"Lavinia. Come in. Now!"

Stephanie scampered for the door. Calvin followed. [Thank you, Shirley. Return to your bed.]

[Yes, Alpha.]

Once started back, Stephanie continued in, passing Shirley on the stairs. Calvin followed, amazed at the change in her mannerisms. It was as if she were a young female again, her walk almost buoyant, though hurried. On the second floor she hesitated again, casting looks forward and back.