Getting By Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The man stuck his hand out and said, "Damn Pete it's been forever. What the hell ya doin' sittin' here swilling booze in the middle of the day? Cindy with ya?"

Pete smiled and quickly stood. He shook the man's hand then wrapped him in a quick man hug. He stepped back and said, "Damn Jack how are ya? I aint seen you since last fall. How's Emily and the kids?"

"Hell, we're all good. Kids are fine. Youngest one is going to the Army after he graduates this year. Sarah's young un's growing like weeds. She's complaining she can't keep em in clothes just like we used to. How long you and Cindy gonna be here? Got time ta come by and see Emily?"

"Naw, probably not. I just came down for the weekend. Needed to see the folks and do some thinking. Cindy said she was too busy to come so it's just me anyhow."

Pete turned to the other two men and shook their hands also. The three men standing before Pete had been his friends since first grade. All were smiling widely. The men slipped into chairs at the table beside the booth. Pete joined them and they started tripping down memory lane reminiscing and telling lies as well as catching up on each other's lives.

Finally about 7:30 p.m. a very drunk Pete was telling his only slightly inebriated friends about his troubles with Cindy and Winona. Jack killed his beer and yelled "Hey Paula bring us another round here. We gotta problem ta solve here and we're outta beer again."

After Paula delivered the beer Jack leaned back and looked at Pete. He said in a slurring voice, "Hey Petie boy. Why ya here fuckin' off when ya got shit ta do back home? We gotta catch 'em cheatin on ya then get ya shut of her. I shore never thought ole Cindy'd do somthin like that. Ya sure 'bout this?"

"No. I've got no proof but I'm starting to be pretty sure. I came home to figure out what to do. I gotta catch her or figure out what the hells goin' on. Even if she isn't cheatin' I'm not gonna put up with her shit any more. If she's cheatin' I'm gonna dump her ass. If she's just turned into a bitch she either has to change and begin treating me better or I'm gonna dump her ass. I'm sick of being Peter and sick of her being Cynthia."

Jack reached into his pocket and pulled his phone from it. He pressed a speed dial button and when it was answered he said, "Hey baby. Me and the boys found Pete in the bar. He's gotta problem and we're going back to St. Louis to help him." He listened a moment then said, "He thinks Cindy's cheatin' on im. We're gonna check it out and take care of things if she is."

Pete listened for a moment then grabbed the phone from Jack. He said, "Whoa there buddy. Let me have that. We aren't going anywhere tonight but home." Pete put the phone to his face and said, "Em this's Pete. I think we've all had a little too much."

Emily laughed and said, "Ya think? Now what's this about Cindy cheating on you Pete?"

"Nothing Em. She's just been a real bitch to live with the last several months. She shows a lot of disrespect to me now and I've overheard some conversations and seen some things that worry me is all. Jack's just spoutin off. You know how he gets when he's drinking."

Pete listened for a moment then said, "Yeah. Ok. I'm sorry Emily."

Pete ended the call and handed the phone back to Jack. He said, "Emily's coming to pick you drunks up and take ya home. I'll just call Dad and tell him I'll be late then catch a few winks in my truck. Thanks for the offer to help but right now I just need to think about things and decide what I want to do and how to do it."

Pete began drinking coffee after he gave Jack's phone back to him. About twenty minutes later a petite woman with faded jeans and shirt came into the building. Even dressed as she was and in the dim light it was obvious she was a very beautiful woman. She stopped just inside the door and looked around. She smiled when she saw Ginnie point toward Pete, Jack and their friends.

The woman walked up to the table and put her hands on her hips. She glared at the four men who had put their most innocent looks on their faces. She said, "Damn you Pete. I might have known the first thing you four would do when you got back together was get drunk. You're just as bad as you were in high school."

Pete looked up at Emily and grimaced then said, "Now Emily we weren't that bad. I'm sorry about tonight too. Things just got out of hand."

Emily looked at Jack then Slim and DD. She said, "Come on you three. I promised Betsy and Dottie I'd get you all home safely." Emily glanced at Pete and smiled then said, "If you're not too hung over why don't you come over tomorrow afternoon and we can visit. Betsy and Dottie said they would all be there."

After Emily left with her crew Pete walked unsteadily outside to his truck. He lay down in the rear seat for a few minutes then decided to hell with it and got behind the wheel. He sat there until he saw the town Marshall drive past and out onto U S Highway 60 then started his truck and backed from his parking place. He slowly and carefully drove out of town and the five miles to his parent's farm. He parked his truck and moved slowly, carefully into the house. He sat on the couch and took off his boots then fell to the side and pulled his legs onto the couch. He was asleep almost before his body fully relaxed.

Pete woke the next morning to a loud yell. He sat up quickly and almost hit his head with the cup of coffee his mother was holding out for him. She gave him the cup and glared at him then said, "Damn you Pete. I've already heard what you and those three morons were up to last night. I swear I don't know what's the matter with you. Breakfast's almost ready now son. Wash up and come on into the kitchen."

At the table during breakfast Pete's mother and father grilled him until he gave them the short version of the last evening's conversation and the reason he was home without Cindy. His mother sat and looked at Pete while he was telling his tale. She didn't say anything after he finished. Finally after all three of them were done with their food she cleared the table and brought everyone another cup of coffee.

Pauline sipped her coffee and flicked her eyes over to Pete's father then back to Pete. She said, "Son I don't know what to tell you. We all loved that woman like our own girl while you were growing up and after you married. That said there's something bothering her now I think. She's gotten downright uppity the last four, five years and there's been a time or two... Well I've wondered about some of the things she's said the couple of times you were here. Her momma's told me some of the things she's said to her too that were real hurtful. We can't help you with this son but we're here for you if you need us. You know that. It's just a sorrowful thing.

"I've worried about Winona now for some time too. That girl has a smart mouth on her that just won't quit. A time or two when she was here I almost slapped her for her snotty comments. I'm sorry to hear about what she did to that nice Jerrod boy too. We really liked him that time he was here for Thanksgiving with you all."

Pete knocked around the house with his parents the rest of the morning catching up and reconnecting. After lunch he relaxed for about an hour then headed over to Jack's place to visit with his friends. When he got there he was shocked at all the cars in the yard.

Pete walked into the back yard and stopped to look at the crowd. Jack walked up to him and handed him a beer. Pete said, "What's going on? I thought it was just going to be you all, Slim and DD and their families."

Jack grimaced and said, "Well, I guess we was pretty rowdy last night down at the bar. Coupla wimmen called Em this morning to rag on her and she told them you was back and I guess about some of your problems with Cindy. Things just sorta snowballed and we got a yard full now. Aint none of em anything but your friends though Pete."

Pete spent the rest of the afternoon visiting with friends he hadn't seen in years as well as some he had not seen since he was last home about 6 months ago. Even having to field questions and listen to advice about Cindy he enjoyed his day immensely and relaxed. He could feel the tension flowing out of his body and the peace settling in. Jack's home sat on the bank of the same stream Pete's parents' home was on. They listened to the kids playing in the water and the tinkling of the water flowing over the rocks at the foot of the pool they swam in. It was degrees cooler sitting in the shade alongside the stream than it was elsewhere.

After the balance of the guests left Pete, Jack, Slim, DD and their wives settled into chairs and looked out over the stream. They were drinking unsweetened ice tea and relaxing when Emily spoke up. She looked over at Pete and said, "Pete I just can't believe Cindy would cheat on you. I know she's a little bitch. Always was. She always wanted to be the Queen Bee. She always tried to run with the in crowd and with people she thought had more than she and her folks did. I just don't think she's a cheater. Now don't get me wrong, people can change and I don't blame ya for being upset at the way she's acting and even at the way she raised Winona but you need to think about this more before you go off half cocked."

Pete looked across the stream and said, "Yeah I know Em. I remember how she was in school. I almost lost her when we were in college because she wanted to join a sorority and run with the kids with money. The best thing that happened to us back then was when none of them would pledge her. She always blamed the fact she had to work part time to help pay for school was why they didn't take her."

Pete laughed and continued, "She was so ashamed she had to work when the girls she wanted to run with didn't. She's worse now though. She won't even talk to many of our older friends in town since we joined the country club. I'm afraid if she hasn't cheated on me it is just a matter of time. In fact, I almost don't care any longer. If she doesn't change her attitude I'm going to cut her loose anyway I think. I just can't live with her shit any longer. It's getting to where I'm tenser at home than I am at work. Dammit a man's supposed to be able to relax in his own home isn't he?"

The friends sat and visited for a couple more hours then Pete returned to his parent's home for the night. The next morning they all had breakfast then visited until after another of his mother's excellent lunches. About four p.m. Pete reluctantly headed back to St. Louis. He felt better for reconnecting with his friends and seeing his parents but he didn't feel as if he was any closer to a solution to his problem with Cindy. At least he had finally decided he was either going to force her to straighten up or he was going to end the marriage.

Pete took his time and even stopped at Lamberts for another meal on the way home. It was after 7 p.m. when he got home that night. To his surprise and disgust Cindy was gone once again. Pete came in and dropped his overnight bag on the bed. After checking for a note from Cindy and not finding one Pete wandered out onto the patio and sat in a chair drinking a beer and thinking.

After he finished his beer he got into his truck and drove over to the country club. He walked into the bar and ordered a drink. He turned to survey the room while he waited on it to be delivered. To his disgust he saw Cindy sitting at a table beside Saul laughing and visiting with him and two other couples. Saul had his arm across the back of her chair. From where he sat he could see she had on a lightweight blouse unbuttoned to just above her nipples. He took a couple of pictures while they sat at the table and a couple more when she and Saul moved to the dance floor. They didn't do anything totally inappropriate but Cindy still allowed Saul more liberties than Pete approved of. She paid more attention to him during the conversation than she did when Pete talked to her now. She even looked at Saul with respect and admiration in her eyes. That was something Pete hadn't seen directed to him by Cindy in some time.

Pete drank three shots of scotch then returned to his home. He had made a decision. He was going to hire surveillance of Cindy for a couple of weeks to see just what she was up to. He was pretty sure the marriage was over. After the end of the surveillance if she was cheating he was going for the divorce for sure. If she was not cheating he was going to insist she change her attitude or he was filing for divorce.

Pete had no idea when Cindy returned home that night. He was sound asleep whenever she came in. He never heard or felt her get into bed. The next morning he made no effort to be quiet as he prepared for work. He was drinking his coffee when Cindy came into the kitchen. She glared at him then walked over without saying a word and got herself a cup of coffee.

Cindy leaned on the counter drinking her coffee and watched Pete. Finally he sat his cup on the table and looked directly into her eyes. He said, "Where were you yesterday? I waited up until after ten p.m. and you never came home. I couldn't even find a note telling me where you were and you didn't answer your phone."

"I got bored waiting on you to come home from your snit trip so I went to the club. At least there I can have some intelligent conversation with some decent people. That's more than I can say about what you did this weekend. Did you get your need to slum it out of your system for a while now?"

Pete just shook his head and stood. He looked at Cindy for a moment and turned without a word. He walked into the garage and got into his truck then drove to work. On the way he thought again about how Cindy had changed. He felt the sorrow of his loss flowing through his system.

When Pete got to work he called a couple of his friends to get information on Private Investigators. He called three and made an appointment to talk with them over the next two days.

On Wednesday Pete hired the investigative firm he felt most comfortable with and sat back to see what they found. He made certain they knew he not only wanted to verify whether Cindy was cheating or not, he also wanted to know her feelings about him and their marriage. He wanted tapes of conversations if possible so he could get at the bottom of the problems they seemingly had. Pete felt part if not all of the problem was her total disrespect for him and people of their background.

Two weeks and three days after the investigators were hired Pete was once again in their office. This time he was to receive a report of their findings. After the greetings and pleasantries were out of the way the investigator sat back in his chair and crossed his hands on his stomach. He looked over at Pete and said, "Mr. Youngblood I just don't know what to tell you."

Pete felt himself begin to tense up. His face tightened and he started to speak when the investigator raised his hand to forestall his response. The PI hurriedly continued talking. He continued speaking, "I mean we have the report for you and I know what it shows. I just have a gut feeling we are missing something here. I have done hundreds of investigations in my career and this one is one of the strange ones.

"We didn't catch your wife actually cheating on you sir if that makes you feel better. We did catch her in some compromising situations and doing things that would upset me if I were her husband. She shared several short kisses with a couple of men from the country club and allowed them liberties I would not approve of if she were my wife. Although the kisses were on the lips or cheek they were more of a kiss like you would give a good friend or family member rather than a lover. The men occasionally touched her inappropriately but she did make them stop.

"I suppose it is her attitude and conversations that bother me more than anything. She has a definite disrespect for you and people she considers below her in social standing. She disapproves highly of the friends you keep and your lower class habits and recreations as she calls them. She seems extremely happy she managed to break up your daughter and her fiancée and is exceedingly pleased with the young man Winona has taken up with now.

"I get the impression...Sir you need to know this is just my gut feeling here but I think she is trying to convince herself she would be better off or at least happier without you in her life. She has made several comments to her lady friends about how happy she is when she can get away from you. She has spoken very highly about a Saul Witherspoon as well. She seems to admire him highly. He is also the man who she has spent the most time with during the last two weeks. Of course, sir, much of the time she spends out of your home is spent with her various female friends, at work or working in her charities. We did follow her to work and to her charity meetings several days as you requested but don't have any way of knowing what she did in her office or the closed meetings. We did send operatives inside occasionally on make believe business while she was at work to check on her. Everything there seemed on the up and up. It's fairly difficult to carry on an affair during a four hour work day unless you meet after you leave for the day. She did not do that although after work she did meet many of her friends from the club. One Friday evening she returned to town and met some coworkers at a bar after work.

"Sir, as I said we have not caught your wife having sex with any other person. There is evidence that might be construed to be an emotional affair with Mr. Witherspoon if you wanted to push it. I do think, from all indications, that she is tempted to do more. She appears to be drawn strongly to people she perceives as being more socially acceptable and more well off than you are. Another thing we found strange is many times she did not even leave your home until just before you were to arrive home from work. It is almost as if she were avoiding you sir."

Pete sighed and leaned back in his chair. He said, "Well thank you for that I guess. It is gratifying to know she hasn't cheated on me yet. Or at least we haven't caught her doing it. The disrespect I had already figured out for myself. This just makes it harder to make a decision though. I assume you have a written report and the tapes I requested?"

The investigator said, "Yes Sir," and passed a large manila envelope across the desk to Pete. "It's all in there. Of course our fee covers one court appearance if it should be necessary."

Pete stood and shook the man's hand then walked disconsolately from the room. After he got back to his office he read many of the transcribed conversations Cindy had with her friends. He sat back in his chair and put his feet on his desk. He thought about his life and marriage. Finally with an oath Pete pulled his feet from the desk snapped his chair upright and grabbed his phone. He read a number from his rolodex and punched it into the phone.

When the phone was answered he said, "This is Pete Youngblood. Could I talk to Forrest Dameron please?"

After a few minutes Pete smiled and said, "Same to you also you Bastard. Yeah, I have it. No, it's not as bad as I was afraid but it's still bad enough. I've just had it. File the papers like we discussed. No, I don't care. We each keep our retirement, she gets the house. I don't want anything to do with that monstrosity. I never wanted it in the first place. Give her the country club membership also. Yeah, I'll bring the report over later today. See ya asshole."

Pete left the office at two p.m. and took the investigators report with him. He walked two blocks and entered another building. A young vibrant receptionist smiled at him and chirped, "Good afternoon Mr. Youngblood. Are you here to see Mr. Dameron?"