Heather in the Highlands Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Only as he was about to blindfold the struggling girl did something change in James' face, the material inches from her terrified eyes before he stopped. "Oh bloody hell, what am I doing?" he whispered hoarsly before undoing her gag. Allowing Heather to breathe properly as he quickly freed the girl's limbs, having checked her collar chain was still attached, sweeping her up and holding on tightly as she wept. "I'm so sorry honey, please forgive me?" he asked, feeling the lass shuddering less as she began to dry up.

Heather was devastated at what had happened. He'd come within a few moments of raping her...hadn't he? Was his mind that screwed up about the diagnosis he was no longer capable of thinking rationally? Either way their relationship might have to change unless he was sincere about never harming her. The fact he was now trembling more than she was...as he slid off the bed onto his knees looking up at her.

"Please love, please forgive me, I'll never do anything like that again. I promise," he said, his eyes now filling with tears, like her own and she had to say it. "I will love, I'll do it, OK?" Heather said, reaching for his hands wrapping hers over them. The two silver rings sparking as they touched and making both jump a little. His head leaned forward and rested on her knees, Heather gently ruffled his short-cropped hair as he finally wiped both red-rimmed eyes,' kissed her fingers then came up to sit alongside her. Reaching for the keys and unlocking her cuffs. The girl rubbing both wrists as the restraints were put back in the bag then it was thrown into the corridor.

"I'm so scared," he said at last. "I now know how you felt...and I'm thinking about revealing to June and Kelvin that you're still around. If they take it well then maybe your ghosts could help me. Not the Jem stuff...but they might save me as I should be. Please help me honey?"

Heather trembled and after a few silent moments she nodded. "OK, make me a drink next door while I speak to them, yes?" His head dropped and he agreed, leaving her alone, though she did ask him to shut the door and bolt it. "No key but just slide them across. Give me a hour will you?" So he complied.

She lay on the bed, eyes closed and 'spoke'. James next door sitting on the sofa trying to ignore the growing ache in his belly. After what seemed ages he awoke to hear Heather calling for him. Quickly he returned and having checked she was secure opened up. It took one look...see her gentle smile...

"The answer is yes," she said, bursting into tears and he did the same, coming closer to hold her. That lasted minutes then Heather told him to change into the frock. "All they're gonna do is examine you first of all. So don't expect miracles and it might hurt a great deal. Though might be less than what you've got already?" and he nodded.

"Yeah, it's like you did in Ft William before you collapsed. Hoping not to bother anyone?" She nodded sadly. "Yeah, us people are so bloody foolish... too human even," and they chuckled as she helped him out of his clothing, alarmed he'd lost weight. The dress was applied and she put the collar on, saying wrist and ankle cuffs were not needed. "Just lie down and we'll let them see, yes?"

Heather locked and bolted the door having first blown all bar one of the candles out then stood in the darkened corridor watching. James lying rigidly on the bed, collar starting to glow a greenish tinge. Something she'd never known happen as he groaned in pain. Arms by his side but fingers twitching. He began to gasp as the metal loop grew brighter, almost lighting up the room as he started murmuring.

This lasted a while then the light faded leaving the candle flicking in the corner. She waited till James began to stir then he called out. Telling her it was safe to come in. Heather had the door open and was soon wrapped in his arms, seeing his eyes, not quite bright but much better than before. They had a long kissing session, hands running everywhere before he said it would be OK. "The questions were interesting but I think they're serious. I might be fine." Telling her about his 'chat'. "Ye senior spook, she's quite a character?" and Heather chuckled. "Yes love, she's the former owner of your dress!"

"They suggested I have a few days here. Not sure I can afford that but it...well I have no option. I'm gonna leave you here with everything open till next Saturday, the forecast is good now so please get as much sun as you can. Then Sat night I'll put the hatch down and bring them after lunch on Sunday. You've got a clock now so I'll confirm the time later and you'll need to wear the old dress so practice doing it up please. It's about time everyone learned the truth. Does that sound alright honey?"

The fact she broke down and wept, holding his hands was the answer as she nodded. "Yes, if they can save you, Kelvin and June will be puzzled as to how it's happened. Leave Dr Chalmers out of it for the moment. We'll do it...purely the ghostly way." He grinned tiredly but his eyes were brighter now as he unlocked the collar.

Chapter 4.

And that was how it happened. James drove home, waving happily to the sillouetted figure up on the castle roof. Heather seeing her first sunset for eight months now her eyes had adjusted having spent two hours in the great hall just walking about, staring out of the window holes.

June met him at the farm, Kelvin having left to visit clients in Glasgow so the lad held back on the bad news. Seeing photos of the new arrival. Master Kenneth Wallace McAvoy and James smiled. He'd always wanted a boy of his own to call Wallace, named after one of Scotland's historic figures, so at least Jenna was keeping him happy on that score. He managed to keep silent even when June said he seemed a little quiet and tired. Bluffing mum off saying today would have been Gary's 30th birthday. He still missed his mates so badly.

Dad returned on the Thursday and he let the old lad settle down with a drink before bringing in his letter from Dr Chalmers. Naturally they were devastated when the dreaded 'C' word was mentioned. Worst of all when James admitted this had to be kept secret because of the type. "We cannot risk the authorities poking around here. I've got some ideas but I need to speak to the right person. I'll take you there on Sunday afternoon. Now don't worry, we've caught it early enough to have me fixed, OK?"

Making them promise not to tell Jenna or her husband. June wasn't sure about this but agreed, seeing James for once looking vulnerable. Suggesting they have a picnic lunch on Sunday before going to see this mysterious individual. He was away for most of Saturday in Ullapool and left Heather above ground until it was almost dark. "Lunchtime tomorrow it'll all be over and we can relax, be brave till then sweetheart," he said kissing her. Not knowing Miss McCreadie was more worried about what his folks were going to say on discovering the truth of the last few years.

James drove the jeep down the track, his parents baffled as to what he was playing at. Yes this led to Claggan, and yes, Kelvin knew that even now his lad was still haunted by the memories of Heather. He'd finally need to have strong words with sonny tonight as this had gone too far. They were not supposed to be coming here, but going to see this specialist instead.

Arriving outside the ruin, Kelvin puzzled at seeing a metal door at the entrance. "You put that there?" he asked and James nodded. "Yep, six years ago. But I want you to promise me something before I let you in, OK? That you'll never say anything about what you're about to see. Not Jen or Robert, nobody at all, especially the authorities." And they stared at him for that. Thinking that illness or not James was losing the plot. But they nodded anyway as he paused for breath.

"Six years ago you watched while I scattered my girl's ashes from the tower, them blowing to the south where that pipe is placed. Yes?" he said pointing to the metal object as they walked towards it. They agreed, remembering that sad sad day. "Well I'm gonna shock you now more than you ever thought would be possible...because Heather McCreadie is still alive and buried right below this vent!"

June managed not to faint but it was a close run thing, Kelvin catching her as she wobbled badly. "Now you look here laddie..." he began furiously, but stopped seeing James raise his hands then unscrewing the vent top and banging three times on it. Before calling. "Heather love, we're all here this time. You OK down there pet?" Waving his parents' closer...in time for them to faintly hear... "Yes James, I'm here honey..." from an obviously female voice!

"Right, we're coming down in an hour once I've explained, so prepare yourself as I asked." And she replied that she would do that. "See you soon folks. Byee."

The elders stared at their son. Dumbstruck might be a good start as they struggled to understand what they'd just heard. "Six years, my goodness James she's been down there SIX years?" June stammered, only to see her son nod. "Yes, we've had to keep this our painful secret all that time. Now you know why I brushed off Helen Macathy last year when she started coming round more than I wanted. No way could I date another girl and...well that's all you're gonna get on that subject."

He did warn his parents that Heather was wearing a metal collar and she would be physically chained to the walls while the doors were open. Kelvin was about to explode now and only June prevented her husband from thumping his son. "You...are gonna pay dearly for this..." he began, only for James to retort that he might be about to answer to a 'higher being.' That stunned the old guy into silence. He deflated and shook his head. "Well then, guess you'd better explain inside," he said as it was starting to rain a little harder now.

James did and it took the full hour as he told the tale, this time right from the time when he discovered her in the barn. Wearing the same style dress on the postcard, saying that she was probably getting into it right now! "She's never said whether the ghosts tell her the history and if the Lady got to Claggan. I guess she might do in years to come." Then more of the tale and now his parents were intrigued.

Going on to add the floor below had been fitted out for her needs and they'd recognise everything that was there. "Even Jen's unknowingly contributed. After Hollie's birth she cleared out her wardrobes remember? Well Heather has all that now and I must say she looks pretty good in it." Though he knew that mentioning Jemima might ruin things so the lass had been prewarned not to talk about that.

They wandered round the castle both parents seeing the various rooms on the upper levels first. All of them with at least one long chain starting at the doorway. Especially up in the tower where Heather spent a lot of her time during those summer 'freedom months'. The girl had rebuilt the studio last week while she'd been free and alone. Only going under the hatch last night during that short visit to brief the lassie about their arrival time. "I'll be here," she'd grinned and got a kiss.

"Sketches on her walls downstairs, she's done every one," James said proudly, telling Kelvin how the girl had developed into a very talented artist. Learning from books he'd bought, then after a few years of copying pictures started to produce her own. Having the best ones framed and hung up. The one of Claggan that was in James bedroom had been done by her. He explained that the chain alone for that had stretched a hundred feet into the moors and was the furthest she'd been able to go in all that time.

Nervously June and Kelvin came downstairs. James finally showing them the rooms where it'd all started. "Bloody hell," his father muttered on seeing the manacles hanging there. He didn't touch them but James saw what it meant. "Ever do that tying up thing...?" and both parents paused. June starting to blush and the lad knew. "It's OK mum, we've done it. Don't think Jen ever has, but I knew you had at least once. Saw you trying to rub cord marks off when you were doing the ironing."

Kelvin was trying not to smile, the fact his boy knew... "I thought we'd got away with that love," he said, rubbing June's shoulders and now they did sheepishly grin. "OK then James, I'm slowly coming round to see it. Not happy mind, you should have told us long ago, but we've got this far. You better take us...downstairs to see her."

Chapter 5.

They stared as the huge hatch was raised and chocked. Torches ablaze they stepped into the world that was so foreign but to Heather what she knew as home. The girl now dressed in the old robe for the first time in ages, standing at the middle doorway clipping the chain to her collar. "OK James, I'm securely done love," she called then watched as the door to the corridor was unlocked.

First through was June, looking her up and down, coming closer then reaching for Heather, the two women tenderly embracing as Kelvin followed. "Oh my dear, I'm so sorry, we had no idea about this," she began, rubbing the torso, feeling the youngster trembling. Miss McCreadie managing not to cry at seeing someone other than James for the first time in half a decade. She looked exactly as June had remembered, that beautiful face, thankfully no longer pale after the whole of last week spent up in the sunshine. Her body too, as shapely as before despite the unusual dress being worn.

Only the sight of that metal collar locked round Heather's throat disturbed her. "It's...it's what keeps me alive when the door is open," she said, seeing James' mother looking at it then the chain attached to the wall. They broke off and the girl invited them 'into my palace' as she walked into the kitchen room offering lunch and a drink.

Having been coming here so long now James had done an amazing job on Heather's quarters. Wood paneling now covered the stonework in each room and all were carpeted throughout. Kelvin was amazed at the workmanship as he examined the corners. "Still hard to believe where we are," he murmured looking up at the ceiling that had been painted last year, the last part of the fitting out. The rows of candles burning fascinated him as obviously there was no electricity here.

Heather brewed tea on her new gas cooker then made sandwiches. Making sure she turned it off once drinks had been served. Kelvin wondered how she had enough to last... Only for Miss McCreadie to start telling the story from her side, about the ghosts and how everything was replenished once used. June sitting there in rapt attention as the girl confirmed everything she'd heard earlier but from a different slant. It took her a long time, answering the odd question they threw at her but at the end James saw his parents nodding.

But he was dreading the fact he was about to tell them the plan Dr Lucy Chalmers was cooking up to avoid any potential discovery if a forthcoming session underground didn't work...

That he might have to join Heather here...permenantly!

Already he'd started work on the last rooms beyond the normal barrier door. That too was about to be moved to just before the staircase. Giving the couple another two chambers to utilise for their needs. Her gym kit would take up the whole of one as for the moment it was in her kitchen. Heather found it got in the way sometimes, especially now a rowing machine had joined the exercise bike and a cross-trainer bought three years ago.

She was also now trying to persuade James to buy her a piano. The guy finding out Heather McCreadie had been a rather good player at school. Now she wanted to recreate those times so that and maybe a guitar too would provide her with something else to do. "OK, I'll have a look round, mind you getting it delivered might be a problem, and you'll need to be damn fit to help me get it downstairs!

The other now had a 6ft by 8ft paddling pool in it and was great fun to use when she needed to cool down during the summer time if she'd spent too long outside. With the workshop as well they'd have the run of the floor. But he hadn't yet summond the courage to tell Kelvin he might be about to become their new Gatekeeper!

They talked for a little while then Heather led June next door to show her the wardrobe, saying this was the first time she'd worn the old frock for ages. James and Kelvin passed them as he took his dad to the workshop. The older woman seeing Jenna's dresses neatly hanging up. "James said he'd found a good home. Never knew they'd end up at Claggan Castle." Miss McCreadie smiled, saying said she was going to change.

June watching as she easily did the snaplocks between collar and her legs then got into the off-white dress. "It looks so good on you love. I ought to buy you a few more." Heather blushing now and said that'd be nice though she was a size smaller as the belt was cinched in, same problem for her shoes as she applied the heels. June looked so fondly at her then admitted this outfit had been Jenna's 'going-away dress' and the fitted military style jacket for it was in her own wardrobe at home. "It was the 'something borrowed' part of her special day."

Miss McCreadie smiled sadly, thinking she'd love to have got married sometime. "Would you bring me some pictures of Jen's gown please. I'd like to sketch them. As...I'm never liable to marry it'll be the closest I get." June agreed and said she'd like to come next week and have a longer talk with her. "Yeah, I'd like that very much, be nice to chat to another woman again. I do...love James but there's always the other stuff I cannot talk about," the girl said, then they embraced and had a kiss. "You are so brave about this honey," June said, feeling her trembling.

James and Kelvin came into the bedroom, the old lad impressed at the workshop though he didn't intend to remove anything. "It's secret history son, and staying that way, OK? Yon missy there is it's Guardian." He said. Heather smiled and commented that at least she could get there now. "You should have been here the first six months after James left. It was pretty dreadful, though not his fault," she replied. They looked puzzled then she told more of the tale.

Kelvin and June were appalled to find out how confined Heather had originally been. "Everything was in this one room. Single bed, toilet was a bucket, couple of food boxes of cakes and biscuits, yes there were choccy ones!" she grinned seeing June roll her eyes. "But you must understand James didn't expect the ghosts to be able to save me...I too thought I'd left it too late. When Janice and Kyle broke me out of the hospice..." The surprised expressions made her stop and stare.

"Guess you don't know then?" they shook their heads as Heather explained about all the laws they'd broken, the fact the whole funeral had been a set up and so on. "I hope I had a nice send off then?" she asked and the others nodded. "But Janice and the others are NOT aware that I'm still here. James never said I survived, just that I 'moved on' a few days later. Lucy Chalmers fixed my death certificate...and I'm afraid that's the way it's going to have to stay. My money I guess bought silence, James hasn't said much about it...No I don't want to know... period," she said seeing he was about to say something.

The parents were silent now and she saw June shaking. "So you really lived in just one?" and Heather nodded. "Yes. After I escaped from Ft William I stayed at your place for five days, then James brought me here," and shocked looks showed they didn't know this either. "Good at keeping schtum!" James said and everyone grinned as she continued the story.

"Yes. I was dressed in that skirt-suit and boots and it felt really nice," she said pointing to it in the wardrobe. "The last thing I saw before Claggan was your lovely kitchen, then James blindfolded me..." she began, seeing them start, stunning the elders revealing she'd been tied up to stop her chickening out. James pointed to the cords hanging on a hook. "But I'd asked him to bind me in case I lost my bottle, so don't scold him," she added then told James to demonstrate it again if he wanted to.