Hell to Pay Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,294 Followers

He quickly explained what had happened and loaded everyone into Sally's truck, leaving his Ford at the base of the hill. Casey drove along the fire trail until it bisected the road into Winona and turned toward the town. After coming out from behind the hill he drove slowly toward the town, blowing his horn every hundred feet or so.

At Dixie's questioning look he said, "I don't want to surprise the guards while they're still on an adrenaline rush from the fight. The horn will let them know we're coming."

He stopped about thirty feet from the Humvee and got out of the truck. Casey held his rifle in the crook of his arm. "Is Mayor Jackson around?"

Jimmy, the guard that had met Casey before, was one of the men cleaning up after the attack. He walked out to meet Casey.

"Hi Mr. Stewart," he said extending his hand. Looking at the rifle in Casey's arms he asked, "Was that you up on the hill?"

Casey nodded and the boy continued, "Things were about to get right interesting before you jumped in. We were having a real problem with that machine gun."

Tony Jackson arrived and asked the same question. "Was that you shooting from up on the hill?" Casey nodded again. "Thanks, we were getting the hell shot out of us. Is our Florence Nightingale with you? We could sure use her help right now. We've got several wounded."

Casey motioned back to the truck. "Sally they've got wounded. Could you give them a hand?"

Sally got out the truck and joined Casey and the Mayor. After Casey introduced her she asked, "Where are your injured people?"

Jimmy looked at Sally, smiled, and quickly spoke up. "Follow me Mrs. Douglas; I'll take you to our infirmary. We can drop your children off at the school building on the way."

Sally returned his smile. "Really Jimmy....Sally will do." Turning to John and Mary she said, "C'mon guys. You're going to meet some other children while I help these people."

Tony Jackson was looking at the three vehicles that had belonged to the raiders. Two were beat up trucks, not much more than junk. He directed one of his men to siphon any gas and useable oil from the trucks and push them off the road. The Humvee was a different matter.

Casey examined the Humvee. "This thing was stolen from an Army or National Guard base. It's about three years old at most." Turning to Tony he said, "You ought to use this in your roadblock. That SAW machine gun will be a great deterrent to anyone wanting to invade Winona."

"What's a SAW?" Tony asked.

"It's a light machine gun. SAW stands for Squad Automatic Weapon."

"There's not much ammo left for the gun," Tony said.

"It uses a 5.53 NATO round; that's the same as a .223," Casey told him. "I know you've got hunting rifles that caliber. Even if you don't, the sheer size of the Humvee and the fact that it's armored makes it a great barricade."

"Sounds like you know more than a little about weapons and military pieces," Tony remarked.

Casey slowly smiled and nodded. "I've had some training and experience."

"Well drive your truck on in. We'll feed you a good meal and give you a place to spend the night," Tony offered. "It's the least we can do for your help."

"The truck belongs to Sally. The truck, Sally and the kids are a package," Casey said with a smile. Dixie you drive the truck in I'll go get our truck and come back."

Jimmy got back just in time to offer to go with Casey. On the hike Jimmy was full of questions about Sally.

"Where's her husband?" Casey shrugged his shoulders and Jimmy asked, "Is she still married?"

Casey told him the story that Sally had given him. "Anything else you want to know, you'll have to ask her," he said to Jimmy smiling at the young man's interest.

Supper was a community affair. Everyone, excluding the people on guard duty, met in the school gym and ate together. Meals were packaged and taken out to the guards. The food had been prepared in the school kitchen from the town's combined supplies.

Tony finally had to ask the people to leave Casey alone and let him eat. They all wanted to thank him for his help during the raid. Dixie smiled at Casey watching him blush at the compliments and thanks of the people. Sally and the kids joined their table shortly after they began eating. After a few minutes Jimmy joined them and sat next to Sally.

Dixie and Casey smiled at Jimmy's attention and at Sally's obvious interest in the young man. If Sally stays, she won't be alone for long, Dixie thought. Casey and Dixie were given a bed in what had been a small office.

"I think Sally will be staying, don't you?" Dixie asked.

Casey smiled and answered, "Between the school and other children, being able to help as a nurse, and Jimmy I don't think there's a chance that Sally will come back with us." He hesitated and asked, "Now that you've seen the town and met the people, do you want to stay here Dixie?"

She thought for almost a minute. "I want to be with you. We can visit every week or so. That's enough civilization for me." Dixie snuggled close to Casey and went to sleep.

********************

Two days later, just after sunrise, Casey and Dixie were getting ready to return to the cabin. Tony Jackson told them they were welcome to stay.

"We owe you Casey. Without you I don't know if we could have held off that attack. You also gave us some good advice on logistics and security for our town. We'd love to have you live here with us. Beside the latest radio reports say things will be back to normal in a couple of months."

"That's what they said two months ago," Casey replied with a grin. "Nothing personal Tony but I like being on my own. If I, I mean we, lived here we'd have to follow the town's rules; I'd rather live by my own rules." Dixie nodded her agreement.

Sally, John, and Mary came to say goodbye. They hugged Dixie and then Casey. Sally said "Thank you both. You not only saved us but allowed us to become part of your family."

"Dixie and I will be back to visit in two or three weeks," Casey promised.

Getting into their truck, Casey and Dixie waved one final time while driving away toward the rising sun and a new day.

The End

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,294 Followers