His Daddy's Car

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BobbyBrandt
BobbyBrandt
1,344 Followers

This was going to be their sixth Christmas in their home and the fifth since Katie had been born. Patty remembered the first Christmas when Bobby had given JR a John Deere lawn tractor as a present. Looking back, it was another example of Bobby's intuitive fathering skills. With more than six acres of grass that would require mowing on a weekly basis once Spring arrived, the gift would provide JR the resources needed to take responsibility for a badly needed chore. The gift allowed him to earn money, both as an allowance, but also from cutting the yards of willing neighbors. She was proud of the way JR rose to the opportunity and prouder still of how he treasured the pride he saw in his father's eyes. JR would never do anything to purposely disappoint Bobby, and Bobby felt the same way about his son.

Patty took the opportunity to go to the bathroom before Bobby returned. While there, she looked out the bathroom window to see if she could catch a glimpse of Bobby outside. She couldn't see him from the perspective that the bathroom window offered her, so she quickly returned to bed to wait for him.

If JR took after his father, Katie was a virtual clone of Patty when she was younger. She had the same ice blue eyes, light brown hair, and could melt the hearts of the men in her life with either a smile or a tear. While sometimes it seemed like Katie had three parents, she worshipped JR as her big brother and was constantly looking for ways to seek his approval. Every picture she colored or doll she dressed had to pass muster with JR or Katie wasn't satisfied. JR was the first one that Katie wanted to share anything new with, and his love of his sister was evident whenever they were together. Patty is convinced that the broad shoulders that JR had developed were due as much to him carrying Katie on them, as they were to his physical labor around the house and yard.

At fifteen, JR was already over six feet tall, and while he wore his hair shorter than Bobby had at his age, his blonde waves, casual confidence, and the respect that seemed to be shown to him without reservation by people who barely knew him would let anyone who saw them together instantly know who JR's father was.

Patty heard Spenser, their Sheltie bark, and knew that Bobby had to be outside. Otherwise, there would have been more than one bark before he could have quieted the dog. She kept listening to see if the sound may have woken Katie, JR or any of their guests, but she didn't hear any noises from inside the house. Her parents, as well as Bobby's oldest sister Terri and her husband were staying at their house. Bobby's parents, his other sister Lindi and her family were staying with Francis and Jason. Everyone was due to join them at their house around 10 a.m. Patty looked at the clock. 6:15 a.m. Still plenty of time if Bobby got back soon.

Patty heard what she knew had to be Bobby coming back into the house and heading upstairs. She felt under her pillow for the gift she had hidden there and resumed a position as close to how she was when Bobby left the bed as she could recall. Bobby took off his sweats, cautiously crawled back into bed, reattached the loop from the belt around his wrist, and then snuggled back up against her.

"Was Santa making some last minute present placements?" she asked.

Bobby kissed the back of her neck and said, "I had to meet Howard Jennings."

Howard Jennings was a neighbor who lived about a half mile up the road. He and his wife loved having the kids come over to feed, pet or ride one of the many horses they kept on their property.

"What was Howard doing here so early on Christmas morning?" Patty asked.

"He has been helping me keep Katie's present from Santa a secret," said Bobby. "He dropped it off this morning so I could tether it to her playhouse in full view for her to see when she wakes up."

Patty rolled over to face Bobby. She knew before asking that it was a silly question, but she had to ask, "You got her a pony, didn't you?"

Bobby brushed aside the strands of hair that had fallen over Patty's face when she turned to him. He smiled and said, "Technically, I think it is still considered a foal, but since it is a male, I suppose we could also call it a colt."

Patty shook her head in amazement at what Bobby had done. "You really don't expect a four year old to take care of a young horse do you?" she asked.

"Of course not," Bobby said. "I expect you to take care of a young horse and our daughter will learn from you." He saw the look of fear on Patty's face and added with a grin, "But knowing what your reaction would be, JR has already promised to take care of it until Katie is ready. It was actually his idea to get the foal along with its mother at the same time, so Katie gets exposure to what she can expect when her pony is full grown. Having the mare will also allow JR to help teach Katie how to ride well before her own horse is ready to take a rider."

"Where are we going to keep a mare and her foal?" asked Patty.

"A crew will be here next week to assemble the pre-manufactured stable I bought, and Howard will board them until we can," Bobby told her. "In the meantime," Bobby continued, "I think we should start having Katie take over the feeding and care of Spenser. She already helps now, but I think she would embrace it as her own responsibility if we encouraged her."

"She's just a baby," moaned Patty.

"Just give her a chance," urged Bobby. "If she's not ready, we can come back to it later, but I think she'll surprise you."

"You've always been the best father I have ever known, so I'll trust your opinion," Patty whispered as she caressed his cheek. "Can I give you a present now?"

Bobby smiled at her and said, "You don't want to wait and give it to me in front of everyone else?"

He was anticipating something intended for mature audiences, but Patty rolled to her side of the bed and retrieved a wrapped package that had been placed between the nightstand and the bed itself. She sat up in the bed and handed the package to Bobby using both hands. Bobby sat up and accepted the gift, but when he looked into Patty's eyes, he hesitated before opening it. He knew she wanted to say something.

She confirmed his suspicion when she started, "Bobby, I have realized that your heart has been in torment for months, and I didn't know how to help you. You are the bravest, kindest, most compassionate and loving man in the world, but it is your selflessness that is causing you pain right now. I know what you need now, and my heart is overflowing with joy to know that I can give it to you today."

Patty leaned over, kissed his lips and said, "Please accept this with all my love, now and forever."

Bobby simply nodded and began to remove the paper covering her gift to him. As he pulled the tape apart and separated the paper, he saw the back of a framed picture. Turning the frame over he thought that he realized what this was, "Is this your next Easter painting?" he asked.

"No," said Patty. "There will be no more Easter paintings. This one is the last."

Bobby was stunned and confused as he studied the painting more closely. The Corvair was prominently featured of course, and the setting was the driveway of their home outside. Looking at the people in the picture he saw Katie standing next to Patty on the driver's side of the car, both smiling at him as he stood alongside them with one hand entwined in Patty's and the other on the shoulder of JR as he sat in the driver's seat.

There were tears in Bobby's eyes as he set the picture on the bed and pulled his wife into his arms and holding her tight. While she was raining kisses on his face, she reached under her pillow and pulled out her other gift.

Handing the package to Bobby, Patty looked at him and said, "JR will be sixteen in a couple of months and I know that you have been torn between your devotion to our history with our car and your desire to give it to JR as your father gave it to you. Nothing will take our memories and history away buster because they are seared into our very beings."

As Bobby finally extracted the spare key for the Corvair that he had given to Patty on the day she passed her driving test, Patty said to him, "Give it to him Bobby. Give him his daddy's car."

###

BobbyBrandt
BobbyBrandt
1,344 Followers