His Last Christmas Miracle

Story Info
All miracles should be like this.
789 words
4.63
7.2k
5
6
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Bruce rushed to capture the final images for the TV studio. He was a professional photographer who had been hired every Christmas for this important job. His wonderful photos would be used on Christmas morning as background for program transitions. They were always stunning and brought back great memories for the viewers.

As all real photographers know, the final hour before sunset gives perfect light for the camera. He was in the last few minutes of that hour as he arrived at the town square.

This small town in Tennessee had successfully fought the battle of social opinion. The manger of baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph surrounded by wise men, shepherds and sheep was always a highlight of the season for the local townsfolk. Many came with their children from miles away each year to marvel at the beauty of this scene. For them, it was the true meaning of Christmas.

As Bruce took a dozen or more photos from many different angles, a sudden breeze came, and an unexpected rain shower drenched him and a few others standing nearby. He ran to the car as fast as his 75-year-old legs would allow. He knew from experience that he had to get out of those wet clothes and into a warm shower as quickly as possible. Else, he would catch a cold.

After drying, he put on a Pendleton wool shirt, the last Christmas gift his wife gave him. He thought about her once again. Katherine had passed away on September 7th after battling several conditions for years. They were married for 53 years and had never missed being together for Christmas. The only happiness he could hope for this year was seeing his grandsons opening their presents the next morning.

Bruce took the memory stick out of his Nikon and loaded the photos to his computer. As he sat at the desk reviewing each image, he chose several that would be sent to the studio that evening. When the last photo came on the screen, a sudden and overwhelming chill raced through his body. He slumped over and his head slammed into the keyboard.

Christmas morning, a little after 8:00, Bruce's daughter, Mary Ann, was concerned. Her dad was always on time for everything. She'd never known him to be late.

She called her dad's house to check, fully expecting him to answer with some excuse and apology. It rang and rang until the answering machine came on.

Now very concerned, she told her husband, Russ, that she had to go check on her dad. When she arrived at the house just two miles away, she found his body slumped over the desk, with his head laying on the keyboard. She spoke to him and touched his head, hoping he would wake up. It was cold.

Now in full panic with tears flowing, she called 911. Two paramedics arrived within minutes. Mary Ann knew both. They had gone to school with her and had been friends for more than twenty years. As the man checked for any signs of life, the woman hugged Mary Ann and cried with her.

A police car arrived, and Sheriff Atwood came in, followed by the medical examiner just a few minutes later. Russ arrived and rushed to his wife. They cried as they embraced.

This was a small town not far from Knoxville. Everyone knew each other. The sheriff had been best man at Mary Ann and Russ's wedding. All were shocked by the death of this beloved icon who everyone admired.

The medical examiner said that Bruce had apparently died from a sudden massive heart attack. The sheriff assured Mary Ann that he could find no evidence of foul play.

Meanwhile, the phones were busy. All over the area, people were relaying the news about Bruce. Many had attended his 75th birthday party just a month ago in the town hall. How could he be dead, they wondered. He seemed so fit and energetic at the party.

After his body was removed, the sheriff sat at Bruce's desk and turned on the laptop. He hoped to see what Bruce was looking at when he had the deadly attack. Mary Ann stood behind him as they looked through the photos.

When the last one came on the screen, Mary Ann screamed and fainted. Russ reached for her and eased her to the floor.

On the screen was a beautiful photo of the manger scene. The lighting was darker due to the sudden rain clouds. Beside the baby Jesus stood a beautiful woman with a brilliant smile. She was reaching toward the camera. The sheriff immediately recognized Katherine and she was wearing that lovely white gown that Bruce had bought for her burial.