In My Life Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Emerson rode to the front and told Pat and Pedro to find a suitable place for a camp, that they would stop early and be ready for the storm. The cattle were becoming increasingly nervous.

Riding back, he told Bob to be ready to get out of the way if the animals began to stampede. Emerson told him to pass word back to the other riders on that side of the herd. By this time it was prematurely dusk and Emerson started his gelding through the herd to speak to Maria and the other riders on the far side. He was half way across the sea of cattle when a bolt of lightning struck the hill half a mile behind him. Dirt and rock flew through the air and the clap of thunder was deafening.

The entire herd, of a single mind, swung away from the blast and began to run. Emerson was caught in it and his horse began to stretch out. Ahead, Emerson saw Maria swing her horse and race for safety. While his position was dangerous, Emerson felt relief seeing Maria removing herself from harm's way.

Lightning was frequent and was the only way anything was visible, it had grown so dark. The herd was running full speed and Emerson knew the cattle would simply run until they became too tired to go on. In the next flash he saw Maria's horse go down hard! In the dark it must have tripped or stepped into a hole. As the sky lit up again Emerson saw the horse without the rider running for safety. Feeling his gut tighten, he turned his horse toward the place Maria had fallen. Cattle were everywhere and he had to force his horse to fight through the stampede. Emerson could hear the horns of the cattle cracking against each other as the herd surged.

Emerson felt a jolt in his right leg. A big steer had stumbled. As it regained its footing the tip of its horn had torn his pants and gouged his thigh. Emerson found himself hoping his mount wouldn't suffer a similar fate. He had heard of horses being disemboweled by longhorns in a stampede.

Emerson well knew the fate that waited anyone on foot in front of these terrified beasts. Maria had only one small chance, and that was for him to reach her before the herd did.

On the knoll they had reached, Pat Casey and Pedro watched the scene unfold in horror. On the trail a quarter mile back, Bob, Tom, and Cathy sat their horses, mesmerized by the drama in front of them. They were safe with the herd going away from them, but in the flashes of lightning they saw Emerson riding in the stampede and Maria fleeing from it.

Cathy was fighting to remain calm. "Emerson, ride that horse! Maria, get out of there fast! Did Maria's horse go down? That herd is headed right at her! God help her!" she cried. The men with her were silent, caught in the drama of nature and man.

As they watched Emerson worked his way through the herd. With every flash they could see his horse inching up on the leaders of the stampede. Maria was on her feet facing the herd. There was no where for her to go. No one could have possibly outrun the herd and it was too wide to get around.

It was Tom that spoke, "Emerson sees her! Even fighting that stampede, he is trying to get to Maria! I don't know if he can get there in time, but he sure as Hell is going for it!"

In the next flash the group gave a collective gasp as Emerson's horse tripped and went to its front knees. The ensuing flash seemed to take forever. When it came Emerson was still mounted and his gelding was at the front of the thundering herd.

Cathy Jordan's voice was filled with the emotion they all felt. "That man can ride! He could swing to the side and be safe, but I know where he's headed. He is Maria's only chance and he knows it! He'll die before he lets her get hurt!"

Maria had seen the herd swing in her direction and knew what it meant. She turned her horse and gave it its head. She was beginning to feel safer when her mount stepped in a hole and went over. Maria hit the ground very hard and was stunned. Still, the danger she faced seemed to keep her conscious. She got back to her feet and looked around. To her left was a rock about two feet high and three across. She climbed on it and turned to face the herd. The sight was awe inspiring as the cattle raced toward her. She knew she could not outrun the danger so she stood and faced it.

It was in a lightning flash that she saw Emerson, bucking the herd and trying to beat the stampede to her. Even as the flood of hooves and horns swept toward her, Maria realized that she was not surprised. When she had climbed that rock she was instinctively looking for Emerson, and he was doing his best.

Her heart sank when she saw his horse trip. For the first time she understood that not only was her life in grave danger, but Emerson's was as well. Maria knew fear, and it wasn't for herself.

In the next flash, Emerson was still mounted and pulling ahead of the herd. Maria waved her arms and readied herself to jump onto Emerson's horse.

When Emerson's horse tripped, he pulled the reins up hard, trying to bring his gelding back to his feet. The horse responded and Emerson broke out of the stampede and raced for Maria. He wasn't far in front and dared not stop his horse. Lightning flashed again just as he reached Maria. She stood with her arm out, ready for Emerson to grab her. It turned dark as he reached for her, but he relied on his senses to remember the location of her arm.

Emerson felt his hand close on Maria's wrist and she held on to his. Then using all his strength, as the gelding kept running, he swung her onto the horse. Maria's arms circled his waist and they raced for safety.

The lightning had stopped. The last flash had occurred as Emerson approached Maria. Cathy, Bob, and Tom still sat their horses totally exhausted, from watching the events unfold. Billy rode up to them. Obviously, he had been a spectator as well.

"Have you ever seen riding like that? That man can do things others would never even dream of! It tired me out just watching it." Billy seemed to be catching his breath.

"Billy, we couldn't tell if Emerson got Maria away from there in time." It was Cathy and her concern was apparent. "Did you see if they made it? Are they okay?"

"I saw as much as you did. I watched a man ride into Hell to save the life of a beautiful girl. After getting through that herd, could you doubt Emerson would get her out of there? I know him. They made it."

As they talked, the rains came. By the time they dug out their slickers, they were soaked. Seeing the light of the camp fire, the group headed that way.

Upon their arrival, they found all present except Maria, Emerson and the Robinson brothers. Miguel was talking to Pat Casey. "I saw it all! They will be all right. We should keep a good fire going and wait for them to find us. It is so dark now you can't see your hand in front of your face. Be patient. The fire will bring them to us."

Ernie Hooker was there and added, "He's right, Pat. I saw it too, and I'll be damned if I ever saw it's like! That man will do! I saw Tim Robinson get away all right. He's probably helping his brother with the remuda. They will see the fire, too. We should get something to eat and wait."

Emerson didn't have to ride too far after picking up Maria. With the lightning over, the tired cattle soon began to slow down. Maria's grip on his waist was lessening, so he stopped and spoke for the first time.

"Maria, are you all right? That was some time you just had! Can you ride?" Her silence worried Emerson.

Finally Maria weakly answered, "I feel kind of dizzy and I can't hang on very well. I'm afraid I'm not much help to you."

Emerson turned in the saddle and lifted Maria around in front of himself. She felt cold and was shivering. He next dug his slicker out and wrapped her in it. Then holding her in his arms he tried to get his bearings in the blackness.

"I'm not really sure where the camp is, but I'll try to find a high spot and look for the fire." Emerson reassured Maria. "We'll be back at camp in no time. I'll bet your dad is worried." As he finished speaking, it began to rain.

It only took a few minutes of riding and Emerson found the light from the camp fire. He was surprised at how far away the camp was, but began to work back to it. The rain had lessened to become a steady drizzle. Soaked to the bone, Emerson held Maria and rode on.

"I knew you would come for me." It surprised Emerson when she spoke. He thought she had fallen asleep. "I was only afraid when I saw your horse stumble. I thought you would be killed."

Emerson tried to soothe her. "Maria, it is all over. You will be fine in the morning, so just relax."

Maria was in an odd mood and kept talking. "When you left Morgantown, I used to write letters to myself pretending they were from you. I wondered where you were and what you were doing. You really hurt me the day before you left, you know? Then it hurt even worse after you left. I cried for days."

Emerson disliked himself then. Why had he been so miserable? "Maria, I was a confused young man, a boy. I wanted you to notice me, so I was cruel to you. I was too shy and misguided to ever allow my true feelings to show. I don't blame you for hating me."

"That sounds good, but how can I hate you? You won't give me any reasons. You just saved my life. Even when you gave me reasons, I never really hated you, although I wanted to!"

Maria continued, "I have embarrassed myself. I bet you had such a time sailing that you forgot all about me. Billy says you were popular with the girls."

"Billy always talked too much. I had you in my thoughts for eight years. Two years ago, I bought an expensive ring and whenever someone asked me about girlfriends, I would show it to them and talk about the sweetheart I had at home and how the ring was for her. Now that I'm back I have a small pocket sewn into my left boot. I carry it there for luck, which has been with me so far."

Maria was silent and Emerson felt awkward. "I guess I embarrassed myself. We are getting close to the camp. It won't be long now."

Maria pulled the slicker off her head and looked up at Emerson. "I really do thank you for everything. You were great!" With that she reached up and kissed Emerson on the lips. "That will have to do until you can be better paid, Mr. Trask."

Emerson rode on, holding Maria a bit tighter. His thigh was beginning to ache, and he knew blood was trickling down his leg. He was cold and wet, but wished the ride would last forever. This beautiful girl in his arms made all the discomfort disappear.

Everyone was sitting around the camp fire, their meals long finished. The worry on Pat Casey's face seemed to set the mood. Finally, Pat stood up and declared, "The rain is about done and it will be getting lighter. I'm going to look for those two." Suddenly, his manner changed. "I hear a horse coming!"

Everyone was standing when Emerson rode into the light. He still had Maria wrapped in the slicker. Pat Casey walked up to Emerson's horse, fearing the worse.

"Emerson, how bad is she?' His voice was heavy with emotion.

Hearing her father, Maria pulled the slicker from her head. "Dad, you don't think Emerson would let anything happen to me? I'm banged up a little and I had to listen to this cowboy try to sweet talk me, but I'm feeling pretty good."

Pat Casey gave out a cry and took her in his arms. "I saw the whole thing. I guess all of us did. Everybody said Emerson had done the job, but I was so worried! Thank God you are okay!"

In the light of the fire a big knot showed on Maria's head. Billy Hatko looked at it. "I've seen people receive blows like that. It can leave a person confused. Sometimes they seem drunk. She'll be all right, but she will have a sore head in the morning."

Bob and Tom stood by Emerson as he warmed by the fire. Bob spoke for everyone. "Emerson, we watched that piece of work this evening. The lightning stopped before we could tell if you got to Maria in time, but we were all sure you did. I just want to say I'll ride with you anywhere, anytime!"

Cathy helped Maria to the small tent Pedro had fashioned. "I am going to get this girl warm, fed and to sleep. She's had one heck of a night!"

Pat Casey walked over to where Emerson stood. He held out his hand and told Emerson as they shook, "That girl is everything to her mother and me. I can't say enough. Thanks!"

Everyone there knew that Pat Casey had said it all. The feelings Pat had would be expressed in deeds over the years. Emerson had made a friend that would last.

Maria was lying on the bedroll listening to the conversation as Cathy prepared some food for her. She was still trembling from the cold, excitement, and the blow to her head.

She heard Bob exclaim, "Emerson! Look at your leg! You're bleeding like a stuck pig!"

Emerson's response was barely audible. "Not so loud, Bob. It isn't a big deal. Don't distress Maria any more than she already is."

Maria sat up and looked from her shelter. Emerson was standing by the fire, not ten feet from her. She could see the tear in his pant leg and the blood-soaked material.

Maria spoke his name, and he immediately came to her. "Are you going to be okay? You didn't tell me you were hurt, and I never thought to ask. I'm sorry. Should I take some stitches?"

"Maria, I am fine. I'll clean it up and Billy will look at it. It isn't deep, but if it requires sewing, Billy is adept at it. You have to eat and get some sleep. You were injured worse than I was."

With that Maria took the food Cathy was now handing to her and ate. Soon she was asleep.

The next morning saw the crew gathering the scattered herd. By midmorning they were on the trail. Cathy had stayed with Maria, who was still feeling groggy from the blow on her head. The two girls were on their mounts, ready to travel by the time the herd was gathered.

Around mid afternoon, Maria approached Emerson as he rode drag. She looked pail and the bump on her head had developed a purplish hue.

"Maria, are you all right?" Emerson's concern was obvious. "You should ride with Pedro for a day or two. We can handle this."

"I wanted to see how your leg was. You don't think my efforts are important? I'm not needed?" Maria asked.

Emerson looked at Maria and tried to form an answer. Before he could Maria was laughing at him.

"Emerson, I was having a little fun. I wanted to thank you for yesterday. I know how close that was, for both of us." Maria was serious. "I babbled a lot and I wanted to be sure you knew that I said some things I didn't mean-"

"You don't have to explain. I understand." Emerson cut in.

"Emerson, let me finish. I said things I didn't mean to say, although I may have meant them. I usually keep things like that to myself. I didn't say anything untrue. Do you see the difference?" asked Maria.

Emerson nodded and looked into Maria's eyes. "I do, and thanks for clearing that up. It makes me feel better, and my leg is fine."

Maria rode close to Emerson. "I did mean this," she smiled as she leaned over and kissed Emerson on the lips. "Emerson, thanks!"

"I feel like I should be thanking you!" Emerson laughed. "Maria, you know I will always help you any way I can."

"That is beginning to become clear, and it means a great deal to me. Do you want to check my lump?" Maria asked as she again rode close. The horses stood so the riders legs were touching.

Emerson smiled as he took her face in his hand and closely scanned Maria's forehead. Her eyes were closed and he took longer than neccessary. Maria opened her eyes to see the emotion on Emerson's face. She thrilled at what she saw.

"Do I look terrible?"

"No, you are lovely," Emerson responded.

"Is that a medical opinion?" Maria asked. "Did you even look at my bruise?"

Emerson laughed, "What bruise is that? I couldn't get past your beauty."

"I have to get back or Cathy will worry. She has reason to do so, with a sweet talking cowboy hanging around me. I'll see you at dinner."

That evening Pat Casey spoke to Emerson when he felt no one could hear. "Emerson, the next few days will tell the story. We are heading into the area Gustin's gang controls. I saw a rider yesterday morning. He said he heard Joe Miller and Mike Tuleya are in with Gustin. Those three are trouble enough without the rest of those hardcases, including some damned Apache. This could get pretty hot!"

"I've heard the same stories. We will try to cover as much ground as possible and hope Gustin is on one of his raids in Texas or down toward Mexico. He may be hundreds of miles away. Just the same, keep a close eye on the girls and keep your guns ready."

Emerson returned to the fire and spoke to the entire crew. "We are going to be in Gustin's general territory in a couple of days. I want everyone armed all the time and with lots of ammunition. That includes Cathy and Maria. I don't want anyone riding off alone. Gustin could be on a raid, hundreds of miles away, but we must be prepared."

"Tomorrow, we will stop early, near where we exit these hills. We can rest up some. I want to cover a lot of ground the following three days. We will be vulnerable to attack on the flats where it will be easier to stampede the herd in all directions. We should be past Palma before Gustin even realizes we were in the area."

Emerson made a point of talking to each man individually that evening, telling each the same. When he spoke to Bob and Tom, he could see the excitement in their faces. "I want you to be sure you know where the girls are all the time. These men are dangerous for all of us, but especially for the women. We will protect them at all costs. Don't ever think you have to choose between the herd and them. They are our first priority."

"Emerson, you are worried. You don't think Gustin is away somewhere on a raid, do you?" It was Bob speaking. "You are expecting a fight!"

"Bob, I don't have much faith in luck. We have a large herd leaving lots of sign and making a lot of dust. It would be a great haul for Gustin. We would be foolish not to expect trouble."

Tom had been quiet. "Emerson, you will be able to count on me. I'm much more comfortable with a gun and a horse than I was a week ago. I'll be there when the chips are down. We already know Bob is a fighter, so let Gustin come!"

"That sounds good, Tom, but we would rather avoid trouble. It isn't very pleasant shooting a man, and it is even worse to be shot. Remember to make your shots count. That is more important than shooting fast."

Emerson then spoke to Cathy and Maria. "Girls, I was serious about you being armed. Do you have any weapons?"

"Dad gave me his rifle when we left," Cathy responded. "I'll dig it out of the chuck wagon tonight. If I have to, I can shoot. Ask Bob."

"I believe you! I haven't seen any man, woman, or child from Texas that can't," Emerson laughed. "Maria do you have a rifle?"

Maria answered, "Dad just gave me one. I don't really want to use it, but I'll be ready if it's needed. Do you think we will have trouble?"

"Maria, I hope not, but we must be ready for it. I want you girls to always ride close to another member of the crew. It also wouldn't hurt if you two laid a bit low. By that, I mean I'd rather it wasn't obvious we have two lovely girls with us."

"Listen to this guy!" It was Cathy. "I didn't think our feminine charms were too apparent these days, but I'll start keeping my hair under my hat. Do we have to stay real close to you, Mr. Trask? I may enjoy this!"

"You are something," Emerson laughed. "Of course, that would be my first choice, but I may not be available all the time. Stay near someone, and that's a good idea about your hair."

Billy listened to Emerson as he explained his concerns. "I was thinking along the same lines, Emerson. They are two of the prettiest and nicest girls I've ever come across. I know how you feel and I'll be ready. Didn't I see Maria giving you a big kiss today? I guess she doesn't hate you so bad after all."