IRL Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hey, Coop. Did you do the philosophy reading?"

"Oh, yeah. Descartes. The Wax Argument. All that shit," he says. I think I was reading that part when I feel asleep, hence its creeping into the dream.

"Can you give me the short version?"

"Uhhh, so, Descartes talking about how you look at a piece of wax, right? And your fingers tell you it's hard and cold, and your eyes tell you it's got a certain shape. But then you hold it near a flame. And all of the sudden, your fingers tell you it's gooey and hot, and your eyes tell you its shape is all going to shit. But your mind knows that the wax is the same wax. The point is: your whole conception of the world and everything in it is based on your senses, and your senses will lie to you. So how do you know what the hell is real?"

I remember Katy's last words, in the dream. 'Rene was right. It's all just wax.'

"Oh. Interesting," I say.

"I'm surprised you blew off a reading for Professor Donahue," Coop says, returning to his Pop-Tarts and his game. "Aren't you guys like BFFs or something?"

"What? That's not—no," I stammer. "I mean, we talk sometimes. In her office. About philosophy. But it's not like—it's not anything. It's not weird."

"Whoa, don't get so defensive. Jesus," Coop says. He looks surprised at my vehemence. Then he pauses his game again and gives me a look. "Oh shit. That's who it was, wasn't it?" He smiles slyly.

"Who was what?" I play dumb.

"You were dream-banging the philosophy prof!" Coop breaks out in full-throated laughter.

"What? No. That's—I told you. It was nobody," I protest.
"Hey, man. No judgment here. She's hot. And she's only what, like five years older?"

"Four. ...I think. I don't know. Doesn't matter. Thanks for the refill," I say, heading quickly for the hallway.

"You should go for it man," he says as I turn to shut the door. "I mean, Donahue. I think she likes you. You guys are almost like...flirty, sometimes, after class. Who knows? Maybe you could have a shot."

I roll my eyes, while secretly wondering if any part of that could possibly be true. "See you in class." I shut the door in his face and head for the bathrooms.

I am going to need an epically cold shower before Philosophy.