Is That Really You?

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Tony155
Tony155
1,227 Followers

They redirected themselves and headed to the student cafeteria, chatting about anything and everything that crossed their minds. They bought their coffees and sat down on an unoccupied sofa.

"So, you never did tell me why you didn't date," Michelle said after taking a sip.

"Nothing much to tell," he replied honestly. "I wasn't popular, wasn't good looking, still not, and the ladies didn't exactly flock in my direction every morning when I came to school."

"Oh, come on, you are too good looking and surely there was someone who you were friends with who you wanted to date."

"Sure," he agreed, "there were some I wanted to date, but it didn't happen."

"Did you ask anyone out?"

"A few times, but it never worked out."

"What do you mean?"

"Well," he exhaled, " most of the time, the rejection wasn't too bad. You know, it was the 'You're a really nice guy, but...' rejection, or 'You're a really good friend, but...' rejection. Only a few times did I get the 'Are you out of your freaking mind?' look on their face." He smiled sardonically. It still pained him to talk about his shortcomings in the relationship department.

"You should have asked me out," she smiled sweetly. "I wouldn't reject you."

"Oh, now you tell me!" he laughed. "You're a bit too late with that information. I could have used that a few years ago." He eased back in the sofa and stretched out with his hands clasped behind his head.

Michelle looked at him as he stared into space. He really had not changed too much, and yes, that meant he was not someone who would turn a woman's head if she saw him, but he was the same friendly, self-deprecating, unassuming person he was in grade school and that appealed to her.

Gary looked at Michelle and caught her staring at him. She did not look down or break her eye contact, but merely continued to look at him with a quizzical smile on her face.

"What's so amusing?" he asked.

"I"m just waiting." She took a sip of her coffee.

"Waiting for what?"

"Waiting for you to ask me out."

"Right!" He looked away. When he turned back, Michelle still had that amused look on her face. Gary looked at her intently. "You're serious about this?"

"Name the time and place and I'll be there," she answered before leaning back into the sofa next to him.

Gary thought for a minute before remembering something. One of his frat brothers sold him his football tickets for the next day's game versus Illinois. If she was true to her word, then they could go together. "Okay," he said, " how about going with me to the game tomorrow?" He looked at her hopefully.

Without thinking, Michelle blurted out, "I can't..."

"I knew it," Gary replied sadly and looked off into space.

"Hey, wait a minute, let me explain," Michelle said quickly, a bit surprised by his response. She touched his elbow.

"You said, 'Name the time and place', and then you back out." His chest heaved as he looked away.

"If you would just listen and let me explain, I'll tell you why I can't go." He still was looking in the opposite direction and trying to maintain control over his emotions. "Alright then, look away if you want, but you need to listen. I've got a match against Bowling Green tomorrow at one. That's why I can't go with you to the game."

Gary's shoulders sank as he sighed. Why was he such an idiot? Why did he automatically think she was blowing him off? Because she's so pretty, that's why. No girl with her looks would ever think of going out with him. How could she be different? Because they were friends for a long time before she changed in her looks, that's why. He was just so stupid.

With his hands touching his pockets, Gary slowly turned her way and she could see the despair in his eyes. "I'm sorry for being such a jerk," he said.

Michelle smiled. "You're forgiven. How about we do something tomorrow night?"

Gary smiled broadly in return. "That sounds great." He searched his mind for an idea and then it hit him. "How about a movie at the union? They usually have something good playing on Saturday."

The union was a student campus hangout. It had a small bowling alley, arcade room, pool tables, and a theater. For students who were stuck on campus, it was a great place to go.

"Sounds great," Michelle replied. "When do you want to go?"

"We could meet around six or seven if you want."

"Six is good. That'll give me time to get cleaned up and rest a bit after the match."

"Okay." He looked at her again through his wire rimmed spectacles and sighed. "I really am sorry for that."

"Don't worry about it," she said. Michelle could see he was still a bit downcast and it saddened her. She tapped his arm and said, "Hey, those snacks didn't do a thing for me. Want to grab a bite at The Sandwich Shoppe?"

Gary's face brightened again. "Sure. I'm pretty hungry."

"Come on, then. My treat." She stood up and Gary followed.

"You don't have to," he protested.

"I want to, so don't argue with me," she replied.

"Okay," Gary said sheepishly.

Given the time of the evening, the small submarine sandwich restaurant was not crowded when they arrived. Finding a table out of the way near the back, Gary and Michelle settled in their chairs and chatted in between bites.

"I just can't believe how much you changed," Gary remarked after he took a sip of his drink. "And I didn't know you played volleyball. When did that start?"

"I played at St. Augustine's. I guess you didn't know that."

"Nope."

"Well, I didn't know you that good of a baseball player, either."

"Yeah, well, I guess there's a lot of things we don't know about each other," he replied.

Michelle laughed. " I don't have to be in early, so we can catch up." She looked at him thoughtfully. "You know, you haven't changed a bit."

Her statement puzzled him. "How so?" he asked, thinking he had changed quite a lot in four years.

"Outwardly, maybe, but you're pretty much the same guy you were in grade school. I always liked you then."

"I know. I liked you, too. You were always a good friend." A memory came to him and his face brightened. "Remember when Sally Robertson told everyone we were kissing on the playground at lunch?"

Michelle's eyes widened and she slapped the table with her palm as she laughed. "Oh my God, yes!" she exclaimed. "I thought we were going to get in so much trouble."

"Me too."

"I mean, it would have been different if we had actually been kissing, but she made it up out of thin air."

"Do you know why she did it?"

"I don't know," Michelle said while shrugging her shoulders, "maybe she didn't like me or you for some reason."

"Could be. I know she never said a word to me, but that didn't stop anyone from not liking me back then."

"Don't be so hard on yourself," Michelle said. She patted his hand affectionately.

"It's the truth. At least in high school, girls would talk me sometimes."

"I talked to you," she corrected him.

"You were the only one," he replied seriously.

"You were my best friend."

"I was?" He knew they were good friends, but he never realized she considered him her best friend.

"Of course, silly," she laughed. "Everyone else at that damned school made fun of me just because I was taller than everyone and had boobs before everyone else."

Gary's eyes involuntarily shifted to her breasts and then back to her face and he hoped she did not notice. She did have a very nice set of breasts pushing against her shirt, he saw.

"But you," she continued, "were always so nice to me and I liked you so much because of it. It hurt me that we didn't go to the same high school. I thought you were going to Sheen, but you went to Waddell instead."

"My folks found out they couldn't afford Sheen," he explained.

"I wanted to go to Waddell after my freshman year, but my parents wouldn't hear of it. I justhadto go to a Catholic high school," she mimicked her mother. "Oh well," she sighed. "Well, that doesn't matter anymore. We're back in school together and that's what counts. Right?"

"Right," he agreed. "But why didn't they want you to go to Notre Dame, St. John's, or some other Catholic college?"

Michelle laughed out loud. "They about had a fit when they saw how much it cost. They were very happy when I started to receive scholarship offers."

"But none from any Catholic colleges?

"No," she shook her head.

It was only around ten-thirty when they left the eatery. They had talked long after finishing their sandwiches and now their tongues were tired and sides were aching from sharing funny stories from their experiences in grade school.

Walking slowly and quietly along the lighted sidewalk to Michelle's dorm, they glanced at each other occasionally and smiled to themselves. It still amazed them both that they found each other again. Michelle was thankful her dorm was a long walk from the restaurant and was also very happy to learn that Gary's dorm was only a few minutes away from hers.

The wind was still and quiet and the sounds of the university could be heard easily throughout the campus. All kinds of music emanated from the tall brick structures. Students were milling around the grounds looking for a party to go to or any other particular destination. Michelle and Gary reached her dorm quicker than she would have liked, but she was expected to attend a team breakfast early the next morning and she would need to be rested for the match. Michelle never was able to function well on less than 7-8 hours of sleep. Yet, she still wanted to be around Gary and talk some more or just hang around him for a while longer.

Gary peered inside the dormitory and saw the time. "I guess you need to go in," he said absently. He too, did not want their time together to end.

"Are you trying to get rid of me?" she joked.

"You know I'm not," he answered. He looked again towards the doors. "Are you getting along with your roommate so far?"

"Gina's okay," Michelle replied. "She's a bit loud with her stereo sometimes when I want to study, but she turns it down if I ask her. She's not around too much anyway. She's usually out with her boyfriend or training."

"Training?"

"She's on the track team, a sprinter."

"Oh."

"We get along pretty good," she said. "I can introduce you sometime if you like."

"Whenever," he shrugged. Looking back at the dormitory, he sighed lightly.

Michelle looked in the same direction as Gary and then to him. "You know what?" she asked.

"What?"

"I really don't feel like going in right now. I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway with all the racket that's going on. Why don't we walk around a while longer, if that's okay with you."

Gary smiled. "That sounds fine to me."

They walked around the campus for another hour as she showed him different buildings where she had classes. Likewise, Gary showed her some of the buildings where his classes were. They doubted they would ever have the same classes together because of their differing majors; his English and hers, sports management. It could only happen if they conspired to take some electives together, but that would not happen until the fall quarter of their sophomore year.

They did not really talk too much during this time together, but they enjoyed each other's company just the same. Gary felt very much at ease with Michelle, but still felt it to be weird to be walking with a girl as pretty as Michelle. He kept reminding himself that Michelle was the same person he knew before and that she really did enjoy being with him.

As they turned to begin their walk back to the dorms, Gary reached over and took her hand, an innocent gesture that caught Michelle by surprise, yet delighted her at the same time. She remembered in grade school when they walked together during recess how she wanted to hold his hand, yet was unable because of the trouble they would receive. Instinct told her Gary was still a bit hesitant being around her, if only because he had not dated before. It had nothing to do with her personally, yet she expected him to be more at ease around her. His small act seemed to be his way of telling her he was ready to be her best friend again.

Leaning over, she said sweetly, "We won't get in trouble, will we?"

"Not unless someone tells on us."

"What if someone does?"

"I guess we'll get detention," he shrugged.

Michelle laughed and squeezed his hand as they continued to casually stroll through the leaf-covered walks that connected the buildings.

The walk back seemed to be much quicker and Michelle was disappointed when her dorm came into view. She knew she would not be able to put off going to bed now, not at this hour, and their time together was about to end.

They reached the steps leading to the front door and stopped. "I best be getting inside," she said as she looked at the door and then back to Gary. "I'll meet you at the Union at six." Her hand still held his.

"Six," he replied while looking at her face.

She really was a pretty girl. Yet, he remembered her always having a pretty face no matter what her size was. To see her blossom into the knockout she had become through hard work and determination was a neat gift and he was very happy for her. He broke his gaze for a moment to collect his thoughts.

"I hope you have a great game tomorrow," he said suddenly.

"Thanks," Michelle replied. "I probably won't play much, but we'll see. We shouldn't have too much trouble beating them."

"I guess I better let you go," Gary said reluctantly. "You'll need your rest."

"Yeah," Michelle said. She really did not want to go, but she knew she must. She squeezed his hand once more before pulling him close and hugging him. "I'm so glad we met up again," she said softly in his ear.

"Me too," he replied as he hugged her back. Without thinking, he kissed her cheek.

Michelle pulled back slowly and touched her cheek where he kissed her. At first, Gary thought he offended her, but then, he saw her smile.

"That was really sweet, thank you," she said before turning and leaving him at the steps.

II.

The next morning, Gary wondered if Michelle had as much trouble sleeping as he did. It was not the noise of the dorm throughout the wee hours of the morning that kept him awake, but the swirling thoughts of Michelle going through his head. Sleep finally did come to him a few hours after he tumbled under the covers, but it was a restless, dream-filled sleep which left him tired after he awoke to the annoying buzzing sound of his alarm.

He normally did not set his alarm during the weekend, but he had made up his mind before going to bed to give up his tickets to the football game and watch Michelle's volleyball match. He knew very little about volleyball, but seeing her was on his mind. After showering, Gary dressed quickly and went down to the lobby of his dormitory where he looked on the bulletin board where students posted their name and number if they wanted tickets. With his cell phone in hand, within fifteen minutes he sold the tickets at face value to two grateful students.

He returned to his room and debated as to go back to sleep or stay up. He would have called Michelle, but he did not have her number. Plus, she had said the team was having a breakfast together that morning. Instead, he called the box office and reserved a ticket for himself.

At twelve-thirty, he left the dorm and made his way to St. John's Arena where the team would play Bowling Green. He did not expect a big crowd because of the football game and he was correct in his assumption. There were maybe one thousand to fifteen hundred fans in attendance. As he settled in his seat, approximately twenty rows behind OSU's bench, warm-ups concluded and the starting lineups were introduced. Gary saw Michelle standing with her teammates in their gray uniforms and red trim. Her blond hair was tied in a pony tail with a red band and she stood and listened to her coach give final instructions.

As she expected, Michelle did not play a whole lot, but she contributed three kills and a couple of blocks as a substitute. OSU won easily, but that mattered little to Gary. He watched Michelle's every move while she was on the court. If he thought she looked good in her jeans the night before, he was amazed at how good she looked in her uniform shorts. He was unabashedly mesmerized by her toned legs and imagined she would cut a stunning figure in a swimsuit.

After the match, he made his way down to the locker room area and waited with parents, boyfriends, and others for the players to emerge. When she came out, she saw him immediately and gave him a light hug.

"What are you doing here?" she asked. "I thought you were going to the football game."

"I changed my mind. I wanted to see you play."

"You certainly didn't see much."

"I thought you played really well, although I don't know much about volleyball."

"I'm really glad you came...." Someone caught her attention as she looked away from Gary.

"Hi mom! Hi dad!" She waved to a couple who were making their way through the crowd. She looked back to Gary. "It's my folks. They usually drive down for home games."

"Oh."

Michelle moved away from Gary and hugged a smartly dressed couple. Although they were diehard University of Michigan fans, they both wore nondescript red sweaters. Michelle pulled them towards Gary and said, "Mom and dad, this is Gary Buchanan. We went to St. Augustine's together and we met each other again at a party last night." She gestured to Gary. "Gary, this is my mom, Olivia, and my dad, Frank."

Gary stuck out his hand and shook Frank's hand. "Pleased to meet you, Mr. Mayfair."

"Call me Frank," he instructed as he returned the handshake.

Olivia said, "Pleased to meet you, Gary," but made no motion of extending her hand. Instead, she eyed him warily.

"Pleased to meet you, ma'am," Gary replied.

"Did you attend Archbishop Sheen with Michelle?" Olivia asked.

"No ma'am," he replied. "I went to Waddell."

"Oh," she said with just a hint of snootiness as she duly noted his torn jeans and well worn sneakers.

Gary noticed the tone, but ignored it. "How did you like the match?" he asked Frank.

"We were hoping to see Michelle play more, but they won and that's the main thing," he answered.

Several thoughts were running through Gary's mind. He knew he did not want to be there with her parents, yet he wanted to stay and talk to Michelle for a while longer.

"We were hoping to have some lunch with you before we headed home," Olivia said pointedly to Michelle.

"Sure, that would be great," Michelle replied. She looked to Gary, then to her mom. "Can Gary come, too?"

The look that flashed across Olivia's face for but a brief second told Gary all he needed to know. Although it disappeared quickly, the sour look told him he was not welcome.

"Well, I..." Olivia began.

"That's okay, Michelle," Gary interrupted. "I have a paper to write before we go out tonight. I need to get started on it." He looked at her and hoped she understood. Gary checked his watch and saw it was almost three-thirty. "Do you want to back up our date to seven so you can have some time together?"

"No," Michelle answered as she seethed inside. She, too, had seen the look on her mom's face. "We have plenty of time. Six is fine."

"Okay," Gary said. He looked to her parents. "It was nice meeting both of you."

"Same to you," Frank replied. Olivia remained silent as she thought of Michelle dating the boy in front of her.

Michelle took Gary's hand and squeezed it lightly. "Thanks for coming. It was a very nice surprise. I'll see you at six."

"See you later." Gary looked into her brown eyes and managed a small smile. He took one final glance at her parents before letting go of Michelle's hand and disappearing into the crowd.

Michelle turned back to her parents and asked, "So, where do you want to go for lunch?"

Tony155
Tony155
1,227 Followers
123456...8