It's The Way You Look At Me Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How the hell are we going to fix this?" he asked, pointing to my face.

"You can't," I said. "I knew dad would get angry. I didn't expect this but I expected him to get upset."

"I'm going to catch a bunch of shit from him about this. He's going to expect me to be on his side in all of this."

"We aren't asking you to choose a side daddy. All we want is for you to know and understand us."

"That will take some time," he sighed. "And I'm not going to take sides. Jamie is all I have and I don't want to alienate her. This is going to be hard."

"We don't have to be open with us in front of you Uncle Buck. We just wanted you to know we are together. The timing is bad but you were going to find out sooner or later."

"I'll see what I can do to settle your dad down Owen," he offered.

"He told me never to show my face again. You've got a lot of work to do."

He sighed. "Come and pay your respects to your grandpa. I'll make sure he is civil enough for that. After that, I suggest you two get out of town until he cools off. It's going to take some time for all this to sink in. For both of us."

"What about you daddy?" Jamie asked.

"Jamie," he started then stopped. He thought before choosing his words carefully. "I don't know how I feel about it. It's really strange to hear this. I know it's taken a lot of courage to come forward and tell me this. Maybe you two should give me some time to let it sink in as well. I may not be mad like your dad is Owen, but it's still very different."

"I'm sorry we had to tell you this now daddy," Jamie said softly.

"I know honey," he said softly and smiled at her. "If anything, you two can live your life together but just do it quietly when you are around me. Let me get used to it first."

"That's all we have ever wanted Uncle Buck. We want to be us and not hide it from anybody. Do you know how hard this has been for both of us?"

"I can't imagine," he sighed.

"Listen," he said after a moment of thought. "I will be there for you two if you need me. I may not be fond of this but I don't want to cut you two from my life. I can't do that. I love the both of you too much to do that. Pay your respects to grandpa then leave town for a while until everything cools off."

"Thank you Uncle Buck," I said.

"Thank you daddy," Jamie said. She quickly gave him a hug.

"Get some rest," he said.

"I love you daddy. I'm sorry if we upset you."

"I'm not upset," he sighed. "I'm just in shock. There's no sense in being upset over something you can't change."

He sighed again. "Now I have to see Dan and settle him down."

"Good luck with that," I offered.

We paid our respects to grandpa. Dad didn't even acknowledge I was even alive. He just went about his business and pretended I wasn't there. He was even cold to Uncle Buck. Once it was over, Jamie and I took off in the truck and headed back to New York so I could join the team and prepare for the comings weeks.

*

I worked hard during the OTA's and the training camp. I picked up quickly on the new system that I had to learn and felt pretty confident when we broke camp and started preparing for the first preseason game of the year. I didn't start that game and I didn't expect to at this point. They let the backup from last season make the start since the starter hadn't signed a deal yet. I played the entire fourth quarter of that first game. The stats weren't that impressive, I stuck with the game plan and did what I was asked.

It must have caught the attention of the coaching staff because I got into the game at the start of the second quarter in the next preseason game. I played well into the third quarter before I was pulled so the next quarterback could get some time. I played well in the time I was in there, throwing a touchdown pass and picking up a few yards on the ground when I needed too.

The controversy over the star not signing was really starting to heat up by the time we played the third preseason game of the year. The press was giving all sorts of opinions on what the team should do. One said we should cut the starter and move in a different direction. Others said they should give in and give him what he wanted. Others had no idea but said this season was going to be a disaster if nothing was done.

My name came up several times over the course of the week leading up to the third game. Some of them liked me and others said I wouldn't make it past Monday of next week. I watched as little as I could but it was hard to completely isolate myself from it all so I heard my fair share of it.

We played like crap in the third preseason game. I got in during the second quarter again and led the team down the field on my first drive and gave us the only score of the night. Every drive after that ended when we got penalized for something stupid and we couldn't overcome it. I was pulled again in the fourth to give the next guy another look.

After that game they trimmed the roster down to seventy five. I was listed to stay around for one more game. I knew that was good but I wasn't out of the woods yet. A deal was signed and the star was to make the start the next game.

I got into the game at the start of the third quarter in the final preseason game. I played hard, trying to give them a reason to keep me around. I managed the game and had no mistakes during the entire time I was in the game. I was pulled midway through the fourth to let another guy have a chance. All I could do now as hope that I had done enough to stick around.

I knew the drill. The final roster had to be trimmed before the five pm deadline on Monday. I was brought into the office on Monday and sat down. I was nervous as hell as I sat there and waited for my fate.

"Well Owen," the GM sighed. "Do you have any clue why I've called you in here?"

"I have a pretty good idea," I sighed. "I'll turn in my stuff and say thank you for the opportunity to play for the team."

"You don't need to turn in your stuff Owen," he smiled.

"I don't?" I asked stunned.

"We want to keep you around Owen. You shouldn't doubt yourself and listen to the media. They don't know shit about you or what we have going on behind closed doors."

"I try not to," I smiled. "But that's all I've heard for the past month."

"Lesson number one," he chuckled. "Don't listen to them. Listen to the people in the organization if you really want to know where you stand."

"Yes sir."

He reached over and pushed the button on the phone. "Hey Phil? Are you there?"

"I'm here," he called. "Is Owen there?"

"I'm here," I said, not knowing what the hell was going on.

"Do you want to tell him Phil or should I?" he asked.

"Owen," Phil cheered. "I got a copy of a new contract sitting in my hands right now. There should be one sitting in front of you now."

As he spoke the GM slid another contract in front of me.

"I see it," I said still unsure about what was going on.

"We are moving you up Owen," he smiled. "We want you as the number two guy on the roster. We want to compensate you for your talents."

"Ok?" I said hardly containing my smile. "I didn't expect this."

"How's five hundred thousand a year sound for the next three years?" Phil asked.

"Holy shit," I gasped. "More than I expected."

"I looked it over this morning Owen. It all looks good. I'd be there to go over it with you but I'm in California right now so I couldn't be there. Read it over and make sure it's what you want. It's solid though Owen. You should sign."

"I'll take your word Phil. Thank you so much."

"No, thank you," Phil called back. "I'm getting a pay day because of you."

"Well, you're welcome then," I smiled.

"Just sign on the dotted line and we can get the paperwork sent off to the league office. Congratulations Owen, you are one of us now."

I quickly scribbled my name down on the dotted line before I slid the paper back over to the GM.

"All done Phil," he said. "Get that chicken suit out so we can make Owen dance in it at the next practice."

"Say what?" I laughed. "Was that in there?"

They both laughed before he said he was joking.

"You run on home to that beautiful young lady you have and tell her the news," Phil cheered. "I'll call you in a few days to see how things are going."

"Thank you Phil," I said again.

"Now that that is over with," the GM sighed. "I have to deliver the bad news to the next guy."

"Let me get out of here then," I said quickly. "I don't want to see the guy that I'm taking a job away from."

"It's just the nature of the business Owen. Players come and go."

"So I've been told," I said standing.

I shook his hand. "Thank you for the opportunity to play here sir. I won't let you down."

"The pleasure is all ours Owen. It just sucks for the other teams that they missed out on your talent."

"Fuck em'," I laughed. "I've got a great team to play for."

He laughed hard before he patted my back and showed me out the door. I went down to the next office and asked if I could get a copy of my contract so I could surprise Jamie when I got back home.

"Well?" Jamie asked when I walked in the door.

I kept a blank face as I walked inside and set my stuff down. "My contract got dumped."

"I'm sorry Owen."

"I got this instead," I smiled lightly.

She took it out of my hand and started reading it. Her face concentrated on it until she realized what it said.

"Happy birthday baby," I smiled. "We are set now."

"Oh my god Owen. This is so amazing. I can't believe this."

"I know right," I cheered. "I was expecting to get cut not sign a new contract worth more money."

"I told you not to listen to the press and you being a bubble player. You should always listen to me. I'm always going to be right."

"Yeah, yeah," I smiled.

"At least you will be in a pleasant mood when we got out tonight," she laughed.

"I would have been fine," I sighed. "I had prepared myself for bad news. Who is going with us again?"

"Ariel and her boyfriend," she replied.

"Have I met him yet?"

"Not yet."

"Have you?" I asked.

"I met him the other day when he stopped by the office to drop something off for her."

"So you don't know him that well either?" I asked.

"Not really. Why? You scared to meet new people?"

I laughed. "I've never been afraid to meet new people. I just wanted a little insight to how he was that's all."

"Ariel thinks he's ok. Isn't that good enough?"

"Yes ma'am," I sighed.

She laughed and looked at my contract again. "This is so amazing."

"I'm going to take a shower and relax. I was sweating like a fucking pig in there. They scared the shit out of me."

I looked at her like I wanted to her to come with me. She smiled and hugged me tightly for a minute before she pushed me away.

"You smell," she sassed. "Aller prendre une douche." (go take a shower)

"Yeah, yeah," I sighed. "Se déshabiller et être au lit à la fois que je suis fait." (get naked and be in bed by the time I am done)

"Dans votre rêves bébé," she giggled. (in your dreams baby)

I kissed her softly before I turned to get in the shower.

"Do I even need to learn French anymore?" I asked. "I have more than a steady job now."

"Yes you still need to learn French," she sassed. "We are traveling again once the season is over with. Besides, it's good for you to exercise your mind and learn something new."

"If you say so," I replied.

"What did I just tell you?" she asked while giggling. "I'm always going to be..."

"Right," I finished for her.

I could hear her giggling as I turned the water on and waited for it to warm up. I showered then got out and relaxed with her until dinner time grew closer.

"Where are we eating?" I asked.

"I wanted to try that Japanese steakhouse up off of Broadway," she said.

"That place is kind of pricey," I said. "Can your friend afford that?"

"You can," she smiled. "Mr. football."

"I haven't gotten paid yet silly girl."

"So I have to buy my birthday dinner?" she sassed.

"No," I laughed. "I'll dip in a little from my savings."

"How haven't you not gotten paid yet?" she questioned.

"I only get paid after we play. I get a check every Monday."

"I see," she said.

"Can you spot me and I'll make it up to you later?" I joked.

"Whatever," she sassed.

We got ready and headed down the elevator to the lobby of the apartment complex. Jamie looked stunning in her white little cocktail dress. It sat about mid-thigh and left a lot of skin exposed on her shoulders as it was strapless. Her hair was down for once which made me happy. She always looked good to me with her hair down. Her small diamond studs hung in her ears making her face sparkle that much more.

"Do you want to drive?" she asked.

"My old beat up truck," I laughed. "Let's walk through the park and take a cab home."

"Sounds good baby," she smiled taking my hand.

We walked through the park and got to the restaurant a little late. We met up with Ariel and her boyfriend David. Ariel was really nice and I got along with her very well. The first time I met her was when she picked me up at the airport when I came home to graduate. There wasn't a silent moment the whole time we rode in the car back to her apartment. She was easy going and very down to earth despite being from the city and having never really been outside of it. Jamie and I were both from a small town and she had never met anybody like us but we got along despite the big cultural differences between us.

After Jamie and I got back to New York, after the big incident with our dads, we lived with her for about a week until we moved into our new place. She didn't mind us being there but we knew we needed a place of our own. Jamie had been living with her since she took the job so they were pretty good friends but it was time for her to move on and get a place of her own.

Ariel introduced me to David. He didn't have a whole lot to say and was rather quiet as we stood around and waited for the hostess to take us to the table. We were seated next to our dates and given menus to brows for the time being.

"So, is it true?" Ariel asked. "Your bubble didn't get popped?"

"What?" I asked confused before the light bulb finally clicked on. "Yeah, I made the cut. Second string as a matter of fact."

"That's awesome," she cheered. "Even if it is with them."

"Yeah, yeah," I sighed. "I know you're a big fan of them. Sorry I had to break your poor little heart."

"I'll cheer for you but quietly," she giggled. "If you play my team though you can forget about it."

"Didn't you already play them?" Jamie asked.

"Preseason but yeah. I threw for a touchdown in that game."

"Don't remind me," Ariel croaked.

"You play in the pros?" David now spoke. It was the first words he had said since I shook his hand when we first got here.

"I just signed a three year deal," I smiled.

"Three years," Ariel cheered. "Wow Owen, that's so cool."

"Hopefully I will get in there this year. I'm not saying I want to see somebody get hurt but I don't want to be sitting on the bench for three years. I sat my first year of college and that was long enough."

"You'll get your shot Owen," Ariel said confidently. "They must see something in you if they kept you around."

"Hopefully I'm more than just a pretty face to them," I joked.

The girls giggled as the waiter came to the table and waited to take our order. We all ordered a drink before we picked up the conversation again. Jamie asked Ariel about work and they started talking away. I watched David for a minute. He glanced over at Ariel before quickly turning is eyes towards a girl that was walking by. His eyes went straight for her ass as he watched her cross the floor. I turned and checked her out but dismissed it quickly. She had a nice ass but Jamie had her beat.

"So, what do you do for work?" I asked David.

"Oh," he said shaking away from the girl and turning back to me. "I do some freelance photography for the Post."

"That sounds pretty cool," I offered. "Have you done anything good?"

"A few here and there," he said. His eyes were following the next girl that walked by. I glanced and saw the blonde walking by in a tight pair of pants.

"What do you do mostly?" I asked. "Sports or current events or whatever you can?"

"I'm not into sports that much," he sighed. "No offense, but jocks don't interest me that much. A bunch of meatheads playing a game doesn't do much for me."

"Why is that?" I asked a little annoyed.

"I don't know," he sighed. "I guess it's because I was a nerd in school and got picked on by them. I was smart so I used my mind and my intelligence to get a degree and find a real job."

"Oh," I sighed annoyed.

"No offense," he said again.

"I went to college and I have a degree," I offered. "I can speak two languages so I'm not just some dumb jock."

"Well," he paused. "You are few and far between then. Most guys just coast through college because they can play a silly game."

"Sure," I sighed.

He gave me a goofy smile then turned his head to follow a waitress as she walked by carrying a tray with some drinks on it. It seemed David was only interested in females and not the one that he came with. Ariel was very pretty so I didn't understand what his deal was. I dismissed my thoughts on him and turned to Jamie and Ariel now. Maybe they had something more interesting to say.

"You're so full of it," I teased Jamie as she told Ariel about me in Milan.

"I am not," she giggled.

"That's only half true," I teased more.

"The look on your face said it all," Jamie giggled and leaned against me.

"The girls over there a little more open than they are here," I offered.

Jamie and Ariel both giggled again before Jamie leaned in for a kiss. I planted a soft one on her lips as she giggled into my kiss. She turned back to Ariel and started talking again about the girl we ran into at the bar while in Milan. She wanted to come back to the house with Jamie and I and have a threesome. Jamie had to turn her down since I didn't know but five words in Italian. Not that I would have said yes if I could speak the language anyway.

I watched David again as he studied another girl sitting at the table across from us. He was undressing her with his eyes. I could almost read the dirty thoughts running through his mind as he sat there. That annoyed me but not as bad as it did when Jamie and Ariel excused themselves to go to the bathroom. His eyes were glued to Jamie's ass as she walked away.

He undressed her with his eyes again as she came back to the table. I almost said something but the waiter and the food arriving at the table stopped me. He set our food down and we started to dig in. The conversation was about the same all throughout dinner. Jamie, Ariel, and I were doing most of the talking. David was mostly quiet and checking out every female in the area including Jamie again.

I was happy to pay the tab and get out of there. Jamie and Ariel wanted to go for drinks afterwards. I reluctantly agreed to go. We walked down the street and went into an upscale bar. We all ordered and sipped on our drink as the girls continued to talk. I gave up on talking to David and focused on what Jamie had to say. He was too busy watching the girls and didn't have much else to say. His looks towards Jamie had me very annoyed as the night wore on.

They went to the bathroom again. I watched him follow Jamie's ass as she walked away. She was very stunning tonight. The way her dress hugged her curves had me flustered all night long. I guess I couldn't blame David for checking Jamie out. He could be a little more discreet about it though. When she returned I pulled her close to me and gave her another kiss. Then I hinted to her I was ready.

"Quand puis-je vous ramener à la maison?" I whispered. "Je m'ennuie." (when can I take you home? I'm bored)