Justine Ch. 22

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,665 Followers

"Emmanuel all of these women are mated." He told himself. "Keep your mind and your hands to yourself."

Two hours later, he heard the sound of feminine voices approaching.

*********

"What are you thinking?" Quinn asked Mikhail when they were all sitting.

"When I found out the royal quartet....."

"Royal quartet?" Quinn asked. "That's what you call us?"

"It's much faster than saying all of your names." Mikhail replied. "But as I was saying, when I found out that you were day walkers, I had two thoughts. The first thought was that it would present more opportunity for abduction. The second thought was that it would be the abductors who would need rescuing. This brings me back to what we all know; the only way the reign will be threatened is if one of our mates or children is taken.

Realistically we all know that even if that happened, the reign would continue; even if there was a fight. The real concern is that any and all of us will do whatever we have to in order to get our mates or children back. I submit to you that that is where the real threat lies. The danger is from within."

Mikhail paused to let what he said sink in and then he continued.

"I started thinking about something that Maurice said weeks ago. I didn't think too much of it then, but then this morning; it came back to me. Maurice, you told me how you protected your family by taking blood from each other."

"That's correct." Maurice replied seeing where Mikhail was going. "That way we are always able to find each other no matter where we may be."

"Does that bond work through wards?" Mikhail asked.

"Yes." Maurice replied. "It will go through anything. But you must understand that once this bond is created, it cannot be severed."

"How much blood is needed?" Mikhail asked.

"Not much." Maurice replied.

"Let me make sure that I understand what we're talking about." Thomas said. "We all exchange blood and that way we can keep track of each other? What's to stop someone from taking advantage of that knowledge?" he asked.

"There is an element of trust involved." Maurice replied. "But we weighed the issues and decided that safety was more important. As you know we take the giving of one's word seriously. Each of us gave our word that we would only use the bond in dire emergency."

"How does it work?" Edward asked.

"It works the same as the bond with your mate works." Maurice replied. "The difference is that it can break through any ward. Even if the mate can't speak, she can and will be found."

"I don't understand." David said. "I exchanged blood with Josephine, but when she was kidnapped; I couldn't find her."

"That's because you didn't have the blood of St. Germaine in your system." Lorenzo replied. "One drop is all that is needed which means that once a drop of our blood is in your system; you can pass it on to your mates and children."

"The rumor about you being a direct descendent of Comte St. Germaine is true?" Edward asked fascinated.

"It is." Maurice replied. "But my question is this... If we do this, do we include the security teams? Their mates are at more risk of being taken than ours. In fact, I think that they are more likely to be abducted than our mates are."

"I disagree." Mikhail said, "And I'll tell you why. None of the security teams are close enough to the royal quartet to be of any use."

"But they could get to us." Lorenzo said.

There was a long silence until David spoke.

"What if we put all of the mates and children in a place that they couldn't be found?"

"We talked about having them scattered throughout the city in warded locations." Thomas said. "But I have a question. How many vampires have the ability to break through wards?"

"Not many." Maurice replied.

"But it would only take one." Thomas said. "I don't know, but if it were me; I would assume that the families of the security teams would be kept in the area. So how secure would they really be?"

"What do you suggest?" Mikhail asked.

"There is a place where they will be safe." David said. "But I also have a question. Maurice, you are also able to ward aren't you?"

"I am... why do you ask?"

"How likely is it that one vampire would be able to break the wards of two or more other vampires?"

"Slim to none especially if the vampires involved build strong wards." Maurice replied.

"I think that we can take the families out of the security teams out of the mix." David said. "The unfortunate thing is that they won't be able to attend the gala."

"We can make amends for that later." Quinn said. "But right now I'm more interested in hearing what you're thinking."

The gray purple flecked flames around David's eyes flashed and then dimmed.

"I apologize, but I had to be sure that no one was listening." He said.

"Just a moment." Maurice said.

A moment later, he gave the go ahead.

"An uncharted island." Mikhail mused after David explained what he was thinking. "Will Josephine be alright with using her island?"

"She won't mind." David replied. "I would also suggest that we keep the location under wraps."

"Even from the security teams?" Thomas asked.

"Even from them." David replied. "If we told them that it was on an uncharted island, how long do you think it would be before someone figured out the general vicinity? This is all about secrecy which brings me to my next point. Only two of us other than the royal quartet will know the exact location. If we're taking the families of the security teams out of the mix that means that your mates will be the next target."

"But they will never be alone." Thomas said. "It means that we'll have to be diligent in watching over them."

"Here's something that's to our advantage." Quinn said. "Once anyone enters the grounds with the exception of us and our mates; there will be a drain on their gifts. The security teams will still have their speed, strength and telepathy, but they won't be able to use any of their other gifts. The one thing that we haven't announced is that the guests will lose the use of all of their powers... in effect; they will be human.

It an emergency arises where their powers are needed, they'll reappear until the emergency is over. Now, here's the thing; they won't be able to use their gifts against any of us or our mates. If we're going to move the mates of the guards to the island, we can make it so that the only telepathy that the guards use is to each other and us."

The room went silent as each vampire processed the plan that was on the table.

"How will we get everyone to the island?" Edward asked after several minutes passed. "Having them gather at one place would be too conspicuous wouldn't it?"

"How many are we talking about?" David asked.

"Don't include Gremlin's clan." Maurice said. "They take care of their own and no one in their right mind will go anywhere near them."

"What about their children?" Thomas asked.

"Their children are taught to be warriors from the time they can walk. Every game that they play is a lesson. If one of them should be taken, God help the abductor." Maurice replied.

"If my calculations are correct, we're looking at five hundred mates and children." Mikhail said. "Can your island handle that many people?"

"Easily." David replied. "The issue is going to be housing for all of them."

"We can take care of that." Quinn said. "David, thank you for doing this."

David shrugged his shoulders.

"It's the right thing to do, but there's another benefit to this." He said. "The guards will be able to focus on their jobs better if their loved ones are safe."

The meeting broke up a few minutes later. Mikhail felt better about the weeklong gala than he had since he had first heard about it; but it was still going to be a long week.

***********

One month before the gala

"Mom are you sure that you and David don't want to do this thing with us?" Justine asked.

"We're sure." Josephine replied. "I want to enjoy being the mother of the bride."

"This isn't a wedding." Justine lamented. "It's politics."

"I know, but try to have a little fun with it and remember after that is the gala."

"True... I just feel bad for the ones who can't come." Justine replied.

"They understand and besides, we're having a big party for them after the gala is over." Josephine reminded her.

"Also true." Justine conceded.

Once the plans for keeping the families of the security teams safe were made, the atmosphere at the house relaxed; but only slightly. The meetings regarding the plans were happening on a daily basis. As David said, Josephine had no problem with using the island as a safe place for the families of the security team.

"We need to make sure that there are plenty of things for them to do." she said when David told her about the plan.

She like Justine felt badly that the group would miss the gala and began to make plans for a special party just for them and their mates.

"Mom?"

"What? Oh sorry... I was just thinking about the party." Josephine replied.

"I was asking where David is."

"He should be in his office. He said something about a conference call." Josephine replied. "You do know that he can go out into the sun because of you don't you?"

Justine smiled and kissed her mother's cheek.

"It's because of all of us." She replied. "Each of us brings something unique to this group and that includes Mikhail, Maurice and everyone in this house."

"Well whatever the reason, I'm happy for all of us. I didn't realize how much I missed the sun until that day. Speaking of which, aren't you and Quinn taking Lana and her sister to the zoo?" Josephine asked.

"Yes but I want to talk to David before we go. Do you think that he'll mind an interruption?"

"I don't think so; if his door is open the conference call is over." Josephine replied.

********

Justine decided to take the long way to David's office. It involved going outside and walking all the way around the house. She also knew that she would run into Quinn who was out on the grounds taking pictures. He had decided to restart his business.

"I think that we need a sense of normalcy." He told her. "Our lives can't just be about running the entire vampire race. I was a landscaper/photographer before we met and there's no reason why I can't go back to it."

He was right Justine realized. She loved being an attorney and missed it. The only real problem she saw was their eyes... or were they a problem? If she could control everything else, why not the color of her eyes? If she could do it then so could the others. She intended to find out after she talked to David.

*********

David ended the conference call more than pleased. Now that he could go to his offices at any time of the day, production was on the rise. He met with several managers and laid down the law and then set up a telephone conference. To miss it was an instant dismissal.

He leaned back in his chair and looked out into the sunshine. He still couldn't believe that he could go out into the sunlight. For the first week after he found out that he could go out, David spent every morning in the garden. For that first week, Josephine let him have that time alone. Now she spent the mornings with him either reading or helping him in the garden.

He turned toward the door when he heard someone approach and mouthed the word "open". He smiled when he saw Justine waiting on the other side.

"Hey, do you have a few minutes?" she asked.

"Of course! Come in." David said.

Justine sat in the chair across from the desk and smiled at him.

"I gather that things are going well?" she asked.

"Yes... how are you holding up?" David asked.

"I'll be glad when the wedding is over." Justine replied. "I tried to talk mom into another double wedding."

"I know. She told me." David replied with a smile. "But she's right, this is your show."

"That's an interesting choice of words." Justine said. "That's exactly how I see it. It's a big show so that I can kiss ass."

"That depends on your point of view." David replied. "On the face of it, it does look like you're kissing ass, but are you? Or are you building allies? The one thing that I've learned is that no matter how powerful you are; you will always need allies. It is much better to have them commit to you voluntarily then by coercion."

Justine thought about what he said.

"I never thought about it like that." she said. "Thanks. There's something else that I wanted to talk to you about. I was wondering if you would escort me down the aisle for the ceremony."

"Excuse me?" David asked.

"I know that we've had our differences but I would like to think that we've become friends." Justine said. "I would like for you to walk me down the aisle not as my father; but as my friend."

"Justine... I would be honored."

"Good and thanks for helping me to see the ceremony in a different light. It helped."

"You welcome and Justine? Thank you."

After Justine left his office, David sat staring at the chair where she had been sitting. A moment later, he was calling for Josephine.

*********

Justine left David's office and went to her and Quinn's rooms. It was rare that she was in the room alone and it felt odd. She almost called to Quinn but changed her mind. She wanted to be sure that she was right before she said anything.

She went to the bathroom and looked into the mirror. The flames in her eyes flickered softly as the green flecks moved lazily across her pupils. She stood there watching the soft flickering for several minutes before she closed her eyes.

Slowly she opened them not sure of what she would see. Finally, they were open.

"Quinn!!! Mom!! David!! Come quick!!" she screamed telepathically.

By the time they got there, Justine was beside herself with excitement.

"Jussie? What's wrong?" Quinn asked as soon as he arrived.

"Nothing!! Look at my eyes!" she exclaimed.

Quinn held her still and looked down at her.

"Jussie... your eyes... they're brown. How?" he asked stunned.

"I'll tell you when mom and David get here." She replied.

"What's the ruckus about?" Josephine asked when she and David arrived.

"Mom... look at my eyes." Justine said as she stood in front of her.

She blinked and the red flames and green fleck appeared. She blinked again and they were almost gone.

"You have to look hard to see the flames and flecks." She said. "You try it."

A few minutes later, they were all standing side by side in the bathroom and looking into the mirror. All of them could change the color of their eyes at will.

"Wow." Quinn mused as he changed his eyes to their normal shade of green back to the green flame red flecked ones. "I guess we don't need to wear the sunglasses anymore."

"But we'd better take them anyway." Justine said. "We'd better get going or we're going to be late." She said grabbing his hand.

"The zoo awaits." Quinn said. "We'll see you guys later."

********

Jian and Gabra took their evening walk through the indoor garden talking quietly.

"You have not felt anything." Jian stated.

"No." Gabra replied, "But neither have you."

"I have not." Jian replied. "I do not know whether to be relieved or concerned."

"Perhaps nothing will happen." Gabra offered. "This will not be the first time that you have felt nothing."

"That is true... but something bothers me." he replied. "My spirit is unsettled."

Gabra stopped walking, looked at Jian and didn't like what she saw. True concern.

"Tell me what you need from me." she said softly as she stepped closer to him and touched his face.

"I do not know yet." He replied. "When I know; I will tell you but for now let's continue our walk."

*********

The closer the date of the gala got, the more anxious Thomas became. He had received several summonses from his family all of which he ignored. He didn't know how much they knew about what happened with Wilhelmina nor did he really care unless it impacted Lottie and her safety somehow.

He did know that they knew that he was with Justine and that they were calling to see what favors he could do for them. The thing was, he wanted nothing to do with them. He didn't want Lottie or any children that they might have to meet them.

Thomas looked over at Lottie. Being away from the Realm had done wonders for her. The nightmares had all but stopped; she smiled easily and no longer acted like a servant. Deep in his heart Thomas knew that if any of the mates were taken, it would be her.

He didn't know why he felt that way but he did. His family ....

"Thomas? Are you ready for dinner?" Lottie asked

"I'm ready." He replied but his mind was still on his family. It was too much to hope that they wouldn't attend the gala. They would hunt him down until they found him, pretend to be proud of him and then try to use him.

Much to his disappointment, other than knowing plants; none of his other gifts had manifested. Every so often he thought he felt a twinge or a stirring; but it never lasted. When he was alone, he did everything that he could think of to urge his dormant gifts to life.

"Patience." Edward would caution him time after time.

Thomas took Lottie's hand and walked by her side to the dining room. He noted how comfortable she was in talking with Violet, Pam, Zoe and now Gabra. Jian and Gabra were something of an enigma to him. He didn't understand how one couldn't know how they met their mate. He knew that they weren't lying; it just didn't make sense. But then, the fates had done stranger things.

He blushed when Jian caught him watching them. Jian simply smiled and nodded at him putting him at ease. The two men hadn't talked much since Jian arrived a month ago... it was time to change that.

The dinner conversation was about the gala. All of the women were more than pleased with their gowns and were looking forward to the final fitting. The men were silent. Each of them, including Thomas was thinking about the safety of their mates.

As happy as he was to see the light in Lottie's eyes when she talked about the gala, Thomas wanted it to be over with. The feeling that Lottie was going to be the primary target of an abduction scheme wouldn't leave him.

He looked up again to see Jian watching him. The vampire's soft brown eyes had an intense look about them.

"Thomas." He said softly. "Would you join me for an after dinner walk?"

Thomas hesitated and then nodded his head. He had the feeling that the Chinese vampire knew something. As he wondered about the walk, he felt slight warmth in the pit of his stomach. It felt a little stronger than before...but then it was gone just as quickly as it came. He closed his eyes in frustration and tried to will the warmth back.

He felt Lottie's hand on his knee squeezing it gently. She knew that he was trying to wake his gifts before the gala and knew of his feelings of uselessness. It was something that they talked about frequently, but he couldn't shake the feeling of uselessness.

"But you aren't useless." She told him that morning. "You've prepared all of the antidotes..."

"But if something happened to you I couldn't protect you..."

"Of course you could and you would." Lottie interrupted. "But Thomas the only one who thinks that you're useless is you."

Thomas put his hand on top of hers and squeezed it. He had just realized that she was right. He could and would protect her even if it cost him his life. Suddenly, he felt better than he had since they arrived two years ago. He also decided that Edward was right, he needed to relax. If his gifts were meant to manifest early; they would.

*********

After dinner, Jian and Thomas walked through the indoor garden. For several minutes, neither of them spoke. Jian was the first to break the silence.

"You are somewhat of an enigma to me too." He said. "I have heard of your family; but have never had the honor of meeting one of you."

kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,665 Followers
123456...8