L.I.T. World Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Mr. Black, let me introduce myself, I serve as a personal assistant to Mistress Bates as well as her bodyguard, Sylvia Hampton." Sylvia held out her hand.

Black turned away from the viewscreen and accepted her hand into his firm, solid grip, while he read her face. "Ms Hampton, pleased to meet you," feeling her grip strengthening until it equaled his own, as they shook.

His eyes searched her face finding nothing but a simple smile, and then he saw that glint in her eye, like she was laughing at him.

He took his hand back. "You said something about 'bringing me up to speed' on what is happening. Is that going to happen now or do we need to wait on Ms. Bates?"

"We can start anytime, now would be fine, what do you want to know?" Sylvia crossed the spacious room to a counter running alone the wall and busied herself getting a ten kilo container up onto the counter and opening it.

"Why did you handle it the way you did? Why go through the naked thing with Nolan? Why not let the police take care of it? What made Karen Bates want to be in that meeting today?" Wilburn wished that Sylvia would settle down and talk with him, all her activity made it easy for her to mask her feelings about what she was saying.

"Let me answer the last question first and then I will answer the first three questions." As she spoke Sylvia filled a smaller container with water and worked on a piece of equipment on the counter, a rich sweet smell filled the room. "Karen Bates was born in North Florida, got her engineering degree there at the University of Florida. She met the love of her life, got married, settled down and had two kids." Sylvia never stopped moving and cleaning over at the counter, the smell was rich in the room, a warm and welcoming aroma.

Wilburn knew that smell and it made his mouth water, it was coffee. Sylvia was making fresh, brewed, real coffee. He hadn't had real coffee since, hell it had to be two years before he left earth.

Sylvia carried on her one-sided conversation while she unpacked three large cups, "Well, Karen lived the dream for ten years and then Mr. wonderful got caught with a teenage girl. Karen walked away from the marriage and her two sons, started working for the company, volunteered for the asteroid fields. Went off-world and never looked back."

She poured two cups full of the dark amber brown liquid. "Mr. Black, I understand that you are a man who enjoys coffee, which means you know how expensive this is, so why don't you come over and fix your coffee just the way you like it." Sylvia took her cup and stepped down into the pit and took a seat on one of the long couches. Sitting the cup on the table she went on with her story.

Wilburn put real sugar in his real coffee and real liquid cream, real cream, in his coffee and stirred it gently, almost reverently. The lower gravity made the coffee seem livelier like it wanted to splash out into the room, free of the restraints of the cup that held it. He took his cup and followed Sylvia to the couch and sat down. Carefully taking a sip of the dangerously hot coffee, it was so fucking good. Suddenly in no hurry, he sat and enjoyed his coffee, smiling and sipping; he listened as Sylvia told her story that was supposed to be an answer to his questions.

"Not many people know this but Mistress Bate's mother was an outlawed drug addict, she roamed around North Florida, in and out of jails for everything from solicitation to petty theft and drug dealing. Eventually she managed to pull herself from the muck and became a successful artist, you may have heard of her she is pretty famous, Skeeter Bates. She made enough for her and her husband to live a good life and send Karen to the best schools."

Sylvia took another sip of coffee "Mistress Bates thinks that her mother's genetic qualities are being passed on. She thinks that there is a part of her personality that 'is' her mother." She looked up at Black. "Do you believe in personality traits being passed on from mother to daughter or son?"

Black nodded his head and said, "Yes, I believe that, I've seen it too many times not to believe it happens, but you can't take it for a sure thing. You can't have expectations of traits you are seeking showing up when you want them to. And you can't judge a man because the traits didn't blossom in his life as you might've hoped, you can't hold it against a man because his genetics don't jive with your expectations."

"Yeah, you're right about that," she said and took a drink of her coffee. "Mistress Bates has a healthy dose of her mother in her genes, what she calls her 'outlaw blood', she thinks it frees up her mind, allowing her to think outside the box a bit more than most people do. Mistress doesn't think her sons have much of her or her mother's genetic make-up, she thinks they take after their father more than her side of the family. Rita, the murdered girl, seems to Mistress, to be more like her and her mother in spirit. The fact that her father was trying to marry her off makes Mistress think that her son Odell was having trouble controlling her and wanted a husband to watch and control her instead of himself."

Silvia stopped talking to take another sip of coffee, and then continued with her tale. "But Rita fought that marriage so hard that her father had to call it off. Rita knew she couldn't stay there any longer so she robbed a company owned store and tried to get off world with the money. Mistress thinks she was trying to get to her; she is the only person that Rita could know that is off world. But the law busted her at the shuttle port in Atlanta and sent her back to Florida where she was sentenced to two years of service to the company. She seems to have a great deal of her grandmother's and great grandmother's genes in her make-up. Or she did before Nolan killed her."

Wilburn was still having a hard time adjusting his thinking about Nolan, could he really have been a serial killer back on earth? Thinking of Nolan made him ask, "Where is Nolan, in the jail?"

Sylvia ignored the question. "Yeah, Mistress Bate's sons took after their father, Tony the older one, never married and had no children. Her younger son, Odell had Rita, his only child. Odell is a weird sort of guy, he's one of those snake kissing preachers you hear about. He lives back in the swamps and has a devoted following of people who are even more stupid than he is."

Sylvia stood and took Black's empty cup and walked to the counter where she refilled them and this time fixed both cups, handing one to him, she sat down and continued. "Odell said that it was God's will that she should suffer for not honoring her father and marrying the man he chose for her. He left her in jail when he could have easily got her out, he has a lot of pull down there." She took a slow thoughtful sip of her coffee. "That's where Nolan found her, and killed her."

Wilburn sipped his coffee, she had fixed it perfectly indicating to Wilburn her strong powers of observation as he had prepared his first cup. "How did Ms. Bates become aware of the death of her grand daughter?" he asked.

"Totally by accident, she had discovered the video you saw today and backtracked through Nolan's time in each camp making a list of his victims, Rita's name was not on it. But when they had the recovered remains sent out for DNA testing, they found a match for Rita's DNA along with names for two of the other victims, Brandford and Mayo. That's when they notified Mistress Bates that Nolan had murdered her granddaughter. That's when it got personal with her."

Wilburn considered this for a minute and then he tried to summarize what he thought he knew. "So, Ms. Bates starts out looking for information smuggled aboard the pods and finds a serial killer instead, who just happens to have killed her grandchild." Wilburn looked to Sylvia and when she gave him an affirming nod, he continued to think out loud. "So Ms. Bates, one of the bigger big wheels in the company, decides to drop everything and come to the moon, in person, to take care of Nolan. That makes no sense to me, when she could have accomplished the same result with a phone call."

"You're wrong there Wilburn, if she had sent the cops to arrest Nolan all of you, his fellow workers, would have come to his defense. You all would have thought you owed it to Nolan to keep his memory alive by asking about him, wanting news of the trial. This way everybody will breathe a sigh of relief that the asshole is gone. Mistress Bates didn't want any questions about Nolan coming up when this is over." Sylvia punctuated the statement by draining the cup of coffee, standing up and taking the empty cup to the counter.

"What do you think will happen to Nolan?" he asked again.

Sylvia was watching the ships in orbit now as she said almost absence-mindedly, "Nolan is like an orange, only instead of juice, he has truths within him. You know what happens to an orange when it gets run through a juicer? Nolan won't make it through this." She looked to Wilburn and said. "Mistress Bates will take Nolan to the places where he had connections with the locals. She will make an example of Nolan in front of his friends, the people he trusts. When they see the things Mistress will do to Nolan they will lose all confidence in Nolan's ability to withstand the questioning and torture. Everybody will see what happens to those who oppose Mistress Bates, believe me they will be ready to make a deal."

"So Ms. Hampton, how long have you served your mistress Bates? Wilburn asked, he had become quite impressed with the younger woman as the conversation continued.

"I can answer that," Karen Bates said as she entered the dark room.

Her long body hugging gown of a shiny blue fabric sported a slit that ran mid-thigh high, allowing her to cross the room with long strides, revealing a skinny boney leg that would have suited an insect better than a human being.

Wrapping a possessive arm around the waist of Sylvia, pulling her close, she said. "I was lucky enough to find Sylvia twenty five years ago. " Karen ran her finger along Sylvia's hairline, gently pushing stray hairs out of her face. "She has been my best friend and closest companion ever since." Her eyes were drawn to the scene on the viewscreen.

"Wilburn, what we are looking at is evolution, pure and simple. We are flinging ourselves on the rocks of distant worlds just as we flung ourselves on the rocks of the shore when we left the water all those millions of years ago."

Karen released Sylvia with a one word command spoken softly, "Coffee."

After letting her hand trail down Sylvia's body as she walked away, Karen offered her hand to Wilburn, as they shook, she said, "I'm sorry we didn't get to talk earlier today, there was just too much going on. And I wanted to be able to talk privately with you."

She was interrupted by Sylvia handing her a cup of hot coffee. "Mistress, it's very hot."

Turning to Wilburn, "Let me take that," as she took his nearly empty cup and replaced it with another fresh cup, hot and steaming, "and you take this." With the empty cup she went back to the counter and rinsed the cup and poured her own cup of the rare brew.

The three of them stood in the darkened room, watching the giant display on the wall, each lost in their own thoughts while they all shared the moment.

Wilburn swirled the coffee in his mouth, enjoyed the scene on the giant viewscreen and gave himself a pat on the back for 'having made it'. Here he stood with the most powerful person he had ever met, drinking coffee, alone as friends would do. He felt accepted and approved, a man whose talents had been recognized, his hard works rewarded. He toasted himself with another sip of coffee.

Sylvia waited. Acting as though she was watching the ships on the screen, from the corner of her eye she watched Wilburn. In the past when personnel issues came up she tried to stay out of it. As long as the people they hired were qualified to do the job, and willing and able to perform their assigned tasks, they were fine with her. And if they weren't up to the standards, that was tough but they had to go.

Before tonight she had never liked a candidate for a position as much as she liked Wilburn Black. Sylvia realized she wanted Wilburn to be part of the team because she judged him worthy of her friendship. She hoped that he too wanted to give a friendship time to grow. She waited to see how Mistress would open the game, and how Wilburn would respond.

"Wilburn Black," Karen opened the conversation like she played chess, aggressively. "Been with the company ten years, reasonably successful in your efforts on the company's behalf, always plays it safe." Karen forced eye contact with Wilburn. "You didn't play it safe today, you stood up for what you thought was right, why today?"

Wilburn hoped she would go on talking but she waited for his answer. "Nobody else did anything, I had to."

"Wilburn, you opposed me twice today, in most cases that would be twice enough to end your career with the company. Instead you have a promotion and you are drinking coffee on my dime and in my home." It looked like Wilburn was going to say something, Karen hoped he was smarter than that. "The bottom line is this. I have a team with at least one person, maybe more, giving shipping information to a terrorist. Sylvia and I both think you are okay but we can't be sure, and you did stand up for Nolan when nobody else did. Where is your loyalty Mr. Black?"

"Ms. Bates, when I woke up this morning I worked for a man that I thought was a loyal employee and a good man, you show up and proved to me that he was neither. You let yourself act like some sort of warlord from the dark ages, strip the man naked and torture and rape him in front of his friends. Then you have me take his girlfriend down to visit him where we find him publicly sucking cock, but I can't be sure who is controlling Nolan. Since he has that thing of yours up his ass, I can't be sure if it was really 'Nolan' on his knees with that cock in his mouth, or you doing it, using Nolan's body. You could have set the whole thing up."

So much had happened it amazed him as he was adding them up. "I don't know much but I do know company policy. We are opposed to torture, so I called you on it. Lastly, I didn't ask for the job or the coffee you offered me today, and since I am here on your dime, I can leave at your pleasure." Wilburn was so angry that he had trouble saying what he thought, the problem was that he wasn't thinking at all, he was pissed at the skinny old bitch for the things she had done today.

"Touché', Mr. Black" Karen looked to where Sylvia stood. "Sylvia thinks you're okay. I trust Silvia, I'm going to let myself trust you Wilburn Black. Do not make the fatal mistake of making me regret this decision."

Walking to the counter she said, "Show him what we have," as she passed Sylvia. "Welcome to the team Mr. Black."

12