Laid Like a Rug

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PAPATOAD
PAPATOAD
3,371 Followers

"You didn't come here to drink my beer, Mister King. What can I do for you?"

Maya was half sitting and half standing with one leg on the porch railing. He caught me looking again and snickered.

"You are causing me many problems Mister Terrell. A good percentage of my retirement income comes from the profits that are generated by my business. That income has been steadily going down lately and I have discovered that you might just be the cause of it. I would like to give you a chance to explain yourself before I have you killed."

"Now Foster, please behave. You promised me that you wouldn't be pulling any of that crap. Apologize to Mister Terrell." It was the first that Maya had spoken since they arrived. I was expecting an accent of some sorts, but she spoke perfect English.

"Damn it. She won't let me have any fun." Foster finished what was left in the bottle with one final swig. "Sorry, John. I was just trying to get your attention. I promise not to have you wacked." He said that last part with a fake Italian accent and then gave me a small smile.

"Who did you talk to before coming to see me?"

"Last night, I had supper with my son, and that sleazy broad he is sleeping with. He claims that you caused all the problems. It was hard to get any facts out of him because he just kept running on about you trying to get revenge for something. I finally got fed up with him and left early. Never even got to see my granddaughters. I was hoping you could give me some facts instead of bullshit."

Before I could say anything, Maya got off the rail and whispered something into Foster's ear.

"Oh shit." He smacked his hand against the arm of the cart. "That explains everything. Why the hell didn't you tell me that last night, Maya? Sometimes I wonder what I pay you for."

"You pay me because I am the only one that will put up with you."

"Mister Terrell. I didn't realize that the woman staying with my son was your ex-wife. I apologize for referring to her as sleazy. To be honest, I don't understand why you would be upset at my son for taking her. Seems to me that you would be thanking him."

"I take it that you didn't like her."

"Not particularly. She got a little huffy when I asked Langford where my granddaughters were."

"Joyce and the girls are staying with her parents in Lancaster."

"You know Joyce."

"Very well. I consider her a good friend. Can't say the same for your son."

"Well all this is very interesting, but I still need to get down to the business I came for."

"Mister King. Did you talk to Phillip Hughes yet?"

"No, why should I?"

"Is he a person to be trusted? If so, don't you think that he might be able to give you the best answers?"

Foster sat quietly while thinking. "Can I have another beer?"

"No." She didn't quibble or hesitate. It appeared that Maya was in charge of his well being, if nothing else.

"I am leaving. Tomorrow I will be talking to Phillip and I will be visiting my granddaughters." Foster King was a decisive man. He had the cart motoring towards the driveway before Maya could get up. She smiled at me as she rushed to catch up. I was hoping to see her again. All of a sudden, I was thinking about how long it had been since I had sex. Maya was as efficient at getting Foster into the van as she had been getting him out. Before the door closed, he looked at me.

"Don't leave town John Terrell. We still have business."

I found the visit to be enlightening. After killing another beer, I had a long, cold shower. I think Maya had gotten to me. She was probably married or hooked up with some young hunk, but I could still daydream.

That evening, I had a surprise visit from my ex-wife.

"John, what the hell are you doing? Langford said that you are behind this Empire Carpet fiasco. I told him it was a mistake, but he insists that you are trying to drive him out of business."

"Marcie. King Carpet has been a fixture in this town since we were kids. I don't know a damn thing about the carpet business, so what makes you believe that I had anything to do with it?"

"Don't play the fool with me, John. I know you better than that. You and Elton own the building that the new store is in and your names are on all the forms and papers that were required for the startup of the business. Langford has friends who were able to find this out with no problem. Phillip Hughes is just a front."

"You are right of course. I never could fool you, could I?"

"Well what are you going to do? Are you going to stop it?"

"Hell no. Elton and I have too much money invested in this to just walk away. If you pay attention, I think things might get even worse over the next few days."

"What else are you going to do? How can it get any worse than it is?"

"I am not sure. In fact, I could be wrong. Forget that I said anything." Of course the seed had been planted. There was no way she could forget it now.

It was apparent that my wife was disgusted with me. She walked to the door and then turned before leaving. "The way that you treated Brian and Baxter, after their arrest, was terrible. You raised those boys and you should have shown a hell of a lot more compassion for them than you did. I expected more from you."

"I am just curious, Marcie. When did you tell the boys that I was not their father?"

"Is that important?"

"I think so."

"About three years ago, they accidentally came across me and Langford having coffee at a small shop off Bleaker Street. There was a confrontation and it started to get nasty. I decided that it was a great time to tell them the truth. They actually took it better than I expected."

"Okay. Well that explains a lot." I gave my ex-wife a big smile. "By the way, I am going to see Jessica tomorrow. Do you want me to say hello for you?"

"Don't bother. She has made it perfectly clear that I failed as a wife and a mother, as far as she is concerned. I'll take care of my boys and you can pamper your precious daughter all that you like." She slammed the door as she left.

I spent the next week with Jessica. She took as much time away from her studies as she could, and showed me all of her favorite places within a hundred miles. I was not surprised when she told me that she wanted to stay in the area after graduation. I missed her, but I felt proud that she was doing well. A few surprises were waiting for me when I got home.

Foster King had been a busy man. I had no idea why he was confined to that motorized cart, or if he really needed it. Apparently, his money and influence in the area meant a lot. In one quick swoop Joyce King had a new team of the sharpest lawyers in the state. By the end of the week, she was back in her old home and Langford and Marcie were in a motel living out of suitcases. I had no idea where the boys were. All I knew for sure was that they had been thrown out of school and were awaiting some type of trial or hearing. I didn't concern myself with it too much. Joyce had sent all of Langford and Marcie's clothes and other belongings to a storage facility.

My plans to use Phillip Hughes to put the King Carpet company out of business came to a screeching halt. It appeared that Langford never owned the company. Foster had kept it in his name and had also kept control over the whole operation, although he had not exercised it over the past few years. Phillip had left several calls on my answering machine, insisting that we needed to talk.

There was no way that I could have known that Phillip Hughes and Joyce King were friends. I didn't exactly know how good friends they were, but they were close enough to confide in each other. Foster King fired his son and got a court order to keep him away from the business and anything related to the business, including the company car. He also appointed Joyce as the new manager of the operation. Since she had no real experience in the business, her only recourse was to ask Phillip for help. Phillip was torn between his loyalty to Elton and me, and his desire to help Joyce. He desperately wanted to make everyone happy and was seeking my counsel. Elton was three thousand miles away.

My realtor had two offers on the house waiting for my review. One of them wanted possession within thirty days, so I took it. Jessica was gone, Elton and Beth were gone, and I had no reason to remain in the area. The realtor was putting the "SOLD" sign on the house when Marcie pulled up.

She stood in the driveway and stared at the word "SOLD" for the longest time, before walking up to the house.

"Is it a done deal, or do they have to get financing or credit approval?"

"It's a lock. They had cash and they wanted it now. I will be out of here by the end of the week. Why do you care?"

"Joyce King got a fancy lawyer, and was able to steal Langford's house away from him. We were looking for a place to live until we can find a new one to buy. I just thought that you might want to rent this one."

"Sorry. You're too late, but I am sure with all of Langford's money you will have no trouble finding a place." I was snickering to myself as I said that. She had no idea that I was fully aware of the financial difficulties they were going through. I was pretty sure that Foster King was not going to cut his wayward son any slack. Phillip had briefed Foster on how Langford was handling the business and about the way he treated his wife. Daddy was not happy.

Marcie did not push the subject any further. As she left, I noticed the "Alamo Car Rental" sticker on the back bumper of the car.

Phillip Hughes and Joyce King came to see me that evening. I was amazed at how well they got along together. It did not take us long to reach an agreement. Empire Carpets would become Empire Floors, and sell only tile and wood flooring. King Carpets would sell only carpet. Phillip did not envision any problems in running both operations, but would only do it if Elton and I agreed. He felt that the two businesses would complement each other. He also indicated that after a few years, King Carpet might be interested in buying out Empire. I thought that was very clever of him. I noticed that Joyce had an embarrassed smile on her face when he said that. I guess they were closer than I had thought.

All of the furniture and things in the house, I gave to the Salvation Army. In fact, I also gave them most of my clothes. I was due to get a new wardrobe and this was a good time to do it. By the time I got done picking and choosing, I could get everything I wanted or needed in my car.

I spent a full day closing accounts and making sure that I had no outstanding debts. Somehow, Foster King got a hold of my cell phone number and coerced me into joining him for supper that evening. It would be my last day in town. I was sure that things would go well, and I was actually looking forward to seeing Maya again.

Foster King was a proud man and also liked to gloat a little. He gave me a quick rundown of his meetings with Hughes and with Joyce. There was no doubt in his mind that the actions that he took against his son were well- deserved. He thanked me for allowing Hughes to help Joyce. I tried to listen to every word that he said, mainly to be polite, but my eyes kept wandering towards Maya. She wore a gray-green evening dress that made her eyes glow. Her hair and make-up were perfect. Foster noticed the distraction and stopped once in mid-sentence just to make me feel uncomfortable. His laugh gave away his intentions. Maya did not join in the conversation other than to stop Foster from reordering drinks and not allowing him to order desert. He faked a little pout and made a half-hearted remark under his breath.

Maya excused herself to go to ladies room and it gave Foster an opportunity to confront me.

"What are your intentions after your house is sold?"

"The house is sold and I am leaving for San Francisco tomorrow morning to see my friends, Elton and Beth. They have a new baby and named her after me."

"They named their baby girl John?"

"Well, actually, Johnnie. How could I say no?"

"Where are you going when you come back?"

"I have no idea. I am leaving my car at the airport, which is packed with everything that I own. I guess I will be driving South until something hits my fancy."

"I have a better idea. Come stay with me. My house is way too big for just me, and I hate seeing Maya alone all the time."

"Foster, what the hell are you getting at?"

"Maya's husband was killed in a car accident about three years ago. She has no friends in West Palm Beach and few opportunities to meet any eligible men. You are the only man that I saw her express any interest in over the last year."

"Did she say something?"

"No, but I noticed the way that she looks at you, and she is always interested when I talk about you. I'll tell you what. Come down and stay with us for a month. If nothing comes of it, you can jump in your car and start wandering around again. You have nothing to lose, and I would really enjoy the company."

The conversation ended when Maya returned to the table. She smiled at both of us, as if we had just done something bad and was condoning it. I was definitely going to go to West Palm Beach.

My visit with Elton and Beth went perfectly. The new owners were able to expand the operation over twenty states and several overseas locations. In a few years, the stock options would probably be worth far more than the actual cash we were paid. Johnnie was adorable. I am sure that she will be cussing her parents for giving her a boys name, but I will be the best godfather a kid could ever have.

I called Phillip Hughes as soon as I got back home, just to make sure everything was okay, before I left. The business was fine and he gave me a quick update on Langford. It seems that he had a good amount of personal debts that were not covered by the business accounts or assets. The cost of the divorce plus the expense of hiring a lawyer for Brian and Baxter had pretty well done him in. He had no credit, no cash, and no prospects. I felt good for Marcie.

Two days later, I was in West Palm Beach. Foster King must have been richer than I thought, because the waterfront home was magnificent. Every chance the old coot got, he was throwing me and Maya together. He insisted that she show me every restaurant in South Florida. After a while, we would pretend to go out, but actually stay in and watch TV in the beach house. Eating out every night sounds better than it really is. I think he knew what we were doing, but considered that to be just as good as what we were getting out of doing. We enjoyed our time with Foster, but we were starting to enjoy our time together even more. It seemed to make him happy.

Maya and I started sleeping together after the third week. Foster knew about it of course, and started to tease us relentlessly. He didn't stop until I moved into her bedroom. That seemed to make him happy.

Life was good. My financial situation was unbelievable. I was living in a waterfront mansion with no expenses, and sharing my bed with a beautiful woman. My money was making more interest than I could spend and my stock options were growing so fast that it made my eyes blink. I did treat myself to a new car: I always wanted a Mercedes.

Joyce's divorce was finalized and Phillip Hughes wasted no time moving in with her. Marcie however had second thoughts. All of a sudden, being married to Langford King did not seem like a good idea. Marcie seemed to disappear into the night. Jessica and I never heard from her again.

Before the end of the year, Foster asked me to witness his new will. I never found out what exactly was wrong with him, but he seemed to be going downhill fast. He left all of his assets to Lisbeth and Carla, to be held in trust by their mother until they were twenty-five years old. He left the business to Joyce with the provision that she be married within a year of his death. He left the house in West Palm Beach to Maya, with the same provision.

Things didn't work out as I had planned, but who was I to complain. Oh yes, I will be getting married sooner than I expected, because I just found out that Maya will becoming a mother. If it is a girl, I am not going to name her Elton.

Epilogue: Brian and Baxter decided to seek their fortune in Mexico, but things did not go well for them there. Marcie appeared from somewhere, and asked me to help her with their legal expenses. I gave her ten thousand dollars and never saw her or the boys again. Jessica finished her studies and moved to Barcelona. I am not sure, but I think she met a young man while she was there. Foster held on for two more years. There was no autopsy, and I still don't know what was wrong with him. He lived long enough to be the godfather to my new daughter, Foster Anne Maria Terrell. I'll name the next one Elton.

PAPATOAD
PAPATOAD
3,371 Followers
Share this Story

Similar Stories

Penny Whimsy Her plan to trade up didn't work.in Loving Wives
An Unexpected Reaction To an unacceptable situation.in Loving Wives
Danny's Dilemma His wife tried to put the horns on him.in Loving Wives
Irish Eyes His love was betrayed, what next.in Romance
The Honey Trap You have to use the right bait.in Loving Wives
More Stories