Light and Dark Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ricrindi
Ricrindi
15 Followers

The strength of the vampire was flowing fully through me.

I could feel the need to feed and I had a strong urge to kill, not necessarily Mona, but just to kill. For the first time I could feel Nicklas's connection to this vampire. It was like he was only borrowing from Nicklas. The power was riding me too strong and I wasn't prepared to take it on. I broke the connection and Mona fell to her knees on the table. Nicklas went to her side made sure she was okay and when she nodded he pointed to the frozen bodyguard. "Him too."

I hadn't realized that I had been able to keep the force field around him. That had never happened before. I waved my hand at him and he fell to the ground, not moving. Nicklas hopped off of the table and over to the vampire on the floor. I guess he was still alive; I just must have drained his powers, again another first.

See what I mean?! Every time I was with Nicklas, my powers were all screwed up. Nicklas spoke, "Leave us!"

I realized that Charles had watched the whole thing from the door. He walked over to the bodyguard, threw him over his shoulder like a sack of flour and helped Mona out of the room, closing the door behind him. Nicklas stood facing the door. I hopped off of the table and assessed my jacket. The sleeve was torn to shreds and my arm was bleeding pretty badly underneath it. Funny. It doesn't hurt. I unbuttoned the coat and started to take it off as Nicklas turned around. "What the hell was that?"

I pulled the coat off the rest of the way and looked up at him. He was serious.

"I'd say that was you trying to prove that you're the Master. I get it. You're the leader here, but next time I come here to share information with you, I don't want the welcoming committee. How far would you have let that go on?" I looked back down at my arm. "Crap."

She had clawed through most of skin and muscle and I could see bone in some spots. I imagined that this is what shoving your arm in a meat grinder would produce. It was quite disgusting. Why doesn't it hurt? Maybe I was in shock, but I knew it had more to do with the power I had borrowed from the vampire. I closed my eyes and focused on the wounds. I let the blue healing light rise in me and I focused it on the wounds. Slowly my arm started to piece itself back together. I flexed my hand. Good as new. I looked back up at Nicklas. He was staring at me. Just staring.

"What? I have healed myself in front of you before."

He didn't speak, but instead walked back to his chair and sat down. "What did you need to tell me?"

He looked exhausted sitting there. I really wanted to read his mind, but I kept my distance. I found my shoes and put them back on. I don't know why but I always feel more apt to handle things when wearing shoes. I liked to think that is why I owned so many pairs. I picked up the chair I had sent into Mona and pushed it back into the table. I decided to keep my distance, so I held on to it. From here I could feel his anger, but also I was picking up on something else. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. What was wrong with him?

I didn't want to deal with this right now, so I just answered his question. "I came to tell you that one of your people was killed this morning and before you start, it wasn't me. He was in my vision and I was there to save him, but..." My thoughts trailed back to the scene for a moment. What was she talking about revenge for? Had he killed some one she knew?

I must have paused for too long because Nicklas started in, "You didn't save him because he was a vampire?"

He stood. He was right in front of me and I was a bit taken aback by his stature. He was tall, yes, but when he projected his power out, he was a giant. I took a step back. I should have guessed he would want to get into it again.

"No. I couldn't," and I stressed that part, "save him because I was being held back. Now look. He was in my vision, so obviously he was the one who needed to be saved, vampire or not. I don't get the head crushing, searing pain visions just for kicks." Boy he really knew how to push my buttons.

He opened his mouth to speak, but I kept going. "I came here to tell you personally that I was sorry that I didn't get the job done, but you obviously can't deal with us, so I apologize for heeding to your rules. I will just email next time." I turned back toward the doors to the room and the chair where I had thrown my jacket.

Nicklas was right in front of me. He was fast. I reached around him and grabbed my jacket. "Alexis, look."

I put my jacket on and interrupted him, "No, you look. I'm tired of this. It's hard enough to deal with my stuff, let alone worrying about how I'm going to tell you that I didn't save one of your men, that I didn't have enough power to stop it from happening. I am sorry that I hurt you. I really am, but I don't enjoy being attacked, when I'm following your rules." I buttoned my jacket and pulled the gloves out of the pocket I had shoved them in.

He reached out and touched my arm, "Alexis, I'm sorry."

I looked up at him. His eyes were so beautiful. You could lose yourself in them and not worry about ever coming out.

I hugged myself, "I'm sorry too. Now I have to go change before I go to work."

He called my name again, but I teleported myself back to my hallway. Great. I hung my shredded jacket back in the closet and grabbed another one. I headed toward the kitchen and the garage. No time for tea this morning. I would have to catch some at the library. The clock struck at a quarter till eight. "Time's up." I chimed as I walked out the side door that led to the garage. I had told Rodger I was going to be an hour late and I was right.

I paused at the top of the three stairs leading to the garage floor. The hummer really needed to be washed. I descended the stairs and went to the key box on the wall. The mustang it was. I was seriously debating on whether or not to purchase a smaller suv for the winter driving. I hated driving the Hummer everywhere. It commanded such a presence that people often snickered as I drove by. Not that the mustang didn't either but those looks I could take.

I put the Mustang in gear, hit the garage door button and backed out. The sun was shining brightly against the dew that had formed a blanket over the ground. I headed down the driveway and pushed the gate button inside my car. The gate popped open and I started the ten-minute drive to the library. It was a beautiful drive down the coast. The view was breathtaking. Cool blue waves crashing into the foamy surface of the water. The lobster boats were hard at work checking their colored buoys that dotted the surface with rainbow colors. Even the flocks of birds were an addition to the astuteness. It was a great place to live and the view picked my spirits up.

I pulled into the parking lot and then into my assigned spot. I opened the door and walked down the hallway past the kitchenette and found Rodger sitting at his desk up front. "Thank you very much Rodger."

He stood and turned toward me. He smiled immediately and walked over to me. "You're more than welcome. Only a few regulars, but it should pick up soon."

I smiled back at him and thanked him again. He walked back over to his desk and grabbed his jacket. "The Bopsy Twins should be in soon."

I laughed and waved good-bye to him. He was right; my two co-workers would be in shortly. I walked over to my desk and settled down. I entered the password for my computer. The screen flashed WELCOME and the drives started to hum. I clicked on the Internet button and was instantly connected to the world. I logged on to the European Network. This database held more information about demons and other magical things than my study wall could hold. I entered in the search information and pushed enter. If there were anything on the Lady from the sea, this site would have it. The search returned five results. Only one of them caught my eye. I clicked on the link and opened the page. Watchtower of the Element Water popped up on the screen. It couldn't be. The element water? How was it possible that an element could become corporeal and kill?

I read the page: It is fabled to be that when the ancient ones were creating the world, they gave of them selves into the world. Earth, fire, water and air. These four elements became the basis of all creation. It is also said that out of the elements came the watchtowers for which a Wiccan circle is called. In the ancient days they were as humans, given the strength to be the keeper of their element. When they realized their power they began to abuse the laws. They were defeated and banished from their thrones.. They were to live in and as their element for the rest of time..." I gulped. This was not good news. I printed the page and reached for my telephone. No I couldn't call Europe from here, it would have to wait until I was at home. I filed the page in my drawer and shut off my computer. If the lady was really the keeper of water and she really had been released... this was just too much to process right now.

I stood and stretched my arms. I heard back door open with Beatrice and Fanny walking through. "Good Morning Ladies." I mustered the happiest tone that I could.

"Good morning dear!" They both chimed back in unison. It was nine o'clock. Business would start to pick up now. The three regulars would be coming through the door, plus, there would be a few drop-ins.

I walked over to the return cart. "Ladies, I am going to go file these returns." I don't think they were paying attention. They were engrossed in a conversation about Fanny's geraniums. I wanted to keep myself busy.

About two hours later I had finished with the returns and was walking down the main isle. The smell of books is just perfect, the older the better. They have a smell that seams to be supportive and reassuring. A smell that says, "Not to worry. We've been here this long, our words will always be remembered." I had to laugh at myself; sometimes I was the biggest dork.

I heard Beatrice's voice echo over the shelves. "Alexis! There's a delivery here for you!" She could hardly contain herself.

I could feel the excitement in her voice so I headed down the aisle to the main desk. On the counter was a crystal vase containing a dozen calla lilies. It was astounding. I paused and took out the card.

"What kind of flowers are these dear? They almost look like a lily. They are quite beautiful." Beatrice was trying to nose her way around to read the card.

I smiled. "They are calla lilies." I opened the card.

Beatrice turned to Fanny, "I bet they're from that nice young man she used to see."

Fanny agreed and went back to her work. I didn't want to read the card out here, so I picked up the vase and carried it with the card over to my desk. The phone rang and Beatrice's attention shifted. I sat the vase on my desk and opened the card. Dinner, six o'clock. I smiled to myself. Nicklas. I sat in my chair and faced the vase. They were my favorite and he knew how much they meant to me.

When I was small, my father used to put them in my room to remind me of my mother and calm me down at night. The long, thick green stalks leading into the brilliant white cups always left me in awe. I closed the card and placed it in my desk. I had to admire his boldness, plus I really wanted to get rid of the tension between us. I picked up the phone and dialed Madison's cell.

She answered after two rings. "So did you two kiss and make up?"

I laughed, way to go Madison. Start right in, why don't you. "No. I had a vision and had to go again, but that is not why I am calling. I wanted to know if you wanted to go to the gym, instead of yoga?"

She laughed, "Frustrated are ya?"

I smiled and leaned back in my chair. "No, He sent me flowers as a peace offering and asked me out to dinner."

She didn't answer right away and I knew she was trying to think. "What would he need to give you a peace offering for?"

Ah. She figured it out. "Well there was an altercation at his place this morning. I'll tell you about it if you go to the gym with me."

I had peaked her interests and her voice showed it. "I can be there in 30."

She hung up the phone and I placed mine back in it's cradle. I left my desk and headed over to where Fanny was still standing. "Fanny I am going to cut out early today if that is okay?"

She turned toward me, "Not at all dear. You have a good day."

I smiled at her. If only she knew. I grabbed my coat from the closet and headed out the back door to my car. I would be at the gym in about twenty minutes, which would give me ten to change and be ready for Madison's questions. I put the car in drive and headed out of the parking lot to the gym. If I ran for an hour, weight trained and showered I could be home by two o'clock and could call the coven. Plus I was looking forward to dinner. It had been so long since we went out together. I just wasn't sure if I was ready for what this might mean for us. I was still trying to convince myself that I didn't need him in my life and our relationship had only been convenient. I really wanted to stay at home, in my sweats and do some more research. I had a feeling that what was happening was going to be significant to the world. Again, I was right at the core. Some families had a treasured recipe that was passed down through the ages. My family passed down a continuous charge to save the world.

I pulled into the gym's parking lot and found a space rather quickly. I hopped out of the car, remembering my purse, and headed for the entrance. A busty blonde named Brandi greeted me as I walked in. "Good afternoon Miss Dominick." I smiled at her and walked toward the turn styles leading to the locker rooms. The stairs were in the middle of the complex and the entire building had an 'open' concept. I descended the two flights of stairs and walked past the basketball courts and into the women's locker room. Locker 254 was reserved for my own personal use. I loved having one here, because I had the platinum membership. They would wash my clothes, fold them neatly, place them back in my locker and make sure I had a clean hand towel. I never had to worry about lugging around a smelly gym bag.

I changed quickly. Running pants, sports bra, tank top, white ankle socks and white Nike cross trainers. I sat on the bench and awaited Madison. I didn't have to wait long, as I heard her yelling for me as she walked through the door, "Alexis, You sure are fast!

I need to get me one of those fancy cars."

I smiled and turned on the bench to face her. She turned the corner and walked down the isle to her locker #213. "So are you going to tell me what happened now, or do you need to run first?"

I crossed my legs and sighed, "Well I had a vision and when I got there to save the innocent... Well he turned out vampire. Not that it mattered, I had the vision for a reason, but I think that I was more upset that I couldn't save him." I looked up at Madison. She had almost finished changing, donning almost the exact outfit that I was, except she chose colors, green and purple to be exact.

She started on her shoes and back on me. "So that was it? He invited you to dinner because you couldn't save one of his men?"

I shook my head. "No. I went to his house to tell him what happened, just like he asked me to do if I had anything to do with a vanquish and one of his body guard and Mona attacked me. He did nothing and just let them have their way, but, well I almost killed Mona and I damn near drained the guard. She tore most of my arm off, it was a huge bit of drama."

Madison's face had dropped, "He let them attack you?"

I stood and we started to walk out of the locker room, "Yeah. It wasn't until I was strangling Mona that he jumped in."

She laughed, "I bet that felt good."

I smiled and we headed up the three floors to the track. "Yeah, I suppose it did."

"So tell me what happened with this vision."

I felt a little awkward telling her about my failed save, but it helped to talk to some one objective to the situation. "I thought it was a water demon, but she didn't respond well to my vanquishing potions. Plus she said something about 'We'. So I am assuming that there are more. Plus when I looked it up online I came up with the elements."

Madison started to stretch her legs and I followed suit. "So do think this could be serious?" She stood up straight and started on her arms.

"I'm not sure. I am going to call the coven when I get home."

She nodded and we started to jog around the track. After a vigorous run and many more inquisitions from the peanut gallery, we both decided to skip the weights and head for the sauna. "You're thinking of ways to back out of going to dinner with him."

I smiled and tightened my towel around my chest. I wasn't uncomfortable with my body, but this was a gym and Americans are very nosey when comes to critiquing others bodies. "Well, now who's the psychic?"

She did the same with her towel and we both lay out on the cedar planks. "Call me gifted!" She started laughing and the other two girls in the sauna gave us a disgusted look. Can't please everyone. Besides up until Madison's laughing we were almost at a whisper.

"I don't know how to feel anymore." I exhaled and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Your not supposed to know how to feel, you're just supposed to do it. Go out with him tonight. You're always complaining you don't have anyone around and he is right there." She was getting a bit irritated with me.

"I know. Besides, I have the perfect dress."

She looked up at me, "How do you know you'll need to be all schnazy?"

Now was my turn to laugh, "Has he ever given you the impression that he was frugal?"

She answered right away, "Nope. In that case, order dessert. After the ten miles we just ran, you can afford the calories."

I put my head back against the cedar plank and let the heat push any negativity out of me. I'll shower here and then head home to call the coven. This day might actually have a nice ending.

---------

I opened the door leading to my kitchen and walked in. Mrs. Cooper was working over the stove. She was wearing her usual black work dress, black shoes and this time she had chosen a bright pink apron. Her hair was pulled back into a tightly wound knot. She reminded me of pictures I had seen of Mrs. Claus. Jolly and round with her glasses on the tip of her nose. I had thought briefly about introducing her to Rodger, but then quickly changed my mind. She was clad in yellow rubber gloves, scrubbing and humming happily while she cleaned the stove.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Cooper." I walked toward the door leading to the dining room and paused.

She answered with out looking up. "Good afternoon dear! Did you have a good day at the library?" She kept right on scrubbing.

I laughed. She was an old time lady. Set in her cleaning ways and etiquette. I adored her. "Yes Mrs. Cooper I did. I have a few hours of work to do. Would you mind terribly taking a message if anyone rings for me?"

Her head popped up from the stove and she turned her attention to the counter. With a large swoop she sprayed the counter and hooked the trigger in her apron's belt. "Not at all dear. I should be wrapped up here shortly anyways."

I put my hand on the swinging door to the dining room. "I am most grateful."

I pushed open the door and walked through the dining room. I paused by the massive oak table. This had been my great grandfather's present to his bride. He carved and stained it himself and the painstaking effort he put in showed. It stood waist high and was at least four inches thick. He had chosen to carve a Celtic design as a border on the top, stained it dark and then glazed it. It had ten matching benches of the same design and stain. Truly beautiful. I had had it shipped from the castle in London. I only spent a few weeks out of the year there anymore, so I wanted the heritage with me. It comforted me to know that even though I was alone, I had them here with me in spirit.

Ricrindi
Ricrindi
15 Followers