Lonely Woman on Dante's Peak

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ten minutes later came the return call. "Hi Kathy."

"Hi, are we on a secure line?"

"Just a minute. It's fine. My receptionist is busy extracting the fee from my last patient."

"Alan, prepare yourself. "I'm pregnant, confirmed, and there has been no one other than you."

"Oh Katherine, I'm delighted for you and can give myself a pat on the back. Are you okay about this?"

"I believe I'm glowing."

"Excellent, and you have placed yourself under medical observation and consultancy?"

"Yes."

"Excellent. Now I'll set up a trust fund..."

"Alan, please. This is simply a courtesy call. Your only responsibility was for the implant. You did that superbly and therein ends your responsibility and I shall always deny you were ever near me. I intend taking steps to throw nosey women close to us off the scent. You will of course be welcome to see me occasionally, as you always have, and we'll arrange clandestine visits for you to see our child if that's your wish. I have plenty of money Alan. My only wish is to keep you absolved so that you and your family remain intact. If I should fall upon difficult times over my pregnancy I shall consult with you as my supreme medical advisor if that's okay."

"Yes of course. Katherine, listen to me. I am so pleased for you and so proud of myself and I admire the way in which you intend managing this matter. You are an amazing person and I truly love you. Er perhaps I should say like a daughter."

Katherine laughed. "Thank you Alan. It pleases me immensely knowing you and I are on the same wavelength over this. I shall never forget our time together during The Great Storm. Oh, could you post me a good photo of yourself because my child and I will have a heart-to-hear talk about this one-day. Goodbye dear one."

As she walked towards the house Katherine saw Danny standing by the big windows, still awaiting the cracked panes to be replaced. She might have to wait a few months before glaziers began attending to less urgent work. Danny waved a little self-consciously.

She entered the house and called, "Danny dear?"

He came running.

"When I wave at you or I catch you staring at me, I'd appreciate it if you reacted without being self-conscious. I have the assets so am used to people staring. I want you being totally relaxed around me."

"Okay, and that's the same for me."

"Even when you have a boner?"

Danny colored but grinned and said, especially when I'm carrying a boner."

"Good man. What would you like for lunch?"

"I prefer fairly simple fare with just the occasional pig-out. Just bread and cheese would be fine."

"And wine?"

"Yes thank you."

"Or perhaps a beer?"

Danny's face lit and he grinned, "Now you're talking."

He eyed Katherine carefully and said, "Kathy, I trust you won't mind me asking this..."

"Do I wear panties?" She turned back on it him and pulled up her skirt, displaying a very bare butt. "What do you think Danny?"

He laughed through his blush. "Actually I was about to ask would you like to show me your work."

Katherine screamed with laughter, turning pink. "Oh Danny, I'm sorry. I'm such a coarse bitch."

"Steady on girl," he said. "You're too tough on yourself. That was one of the funniest spontaneous exhibitions I've ever witnessed, notwithstanding it being misdirected."

"Oooh Danny, you are too kind for words," Katherine cooed, feeling she'd been pulled from the hole she'd dug for herself. "Come, we'll grab drinks and I'll show you my paintings. Except for one hanging in the music room they are all in my bedroom. May I invite you to my bedroom Danny?"

"Lead on Mrs Blake," he grinned, not indicating he'd had a preview.

After Katherine had showed him the collection against the wall he looked at the easel.

"That one is not finished yet. It's of the recent big storm."

"Ah well," Danny shrugged and turned away but Katherine said, "No wait. I don't mind you looking at it."

Danny wondered if that was a disappearing blush he'd caught when looking up from her crotch and finding her staring at him. She pulled off the cloth. He stepped back for the more natural perspective and then stepped up to it.

"This is most impressive. Usually lightning appears to be painted on as an afterthought. Your lightning appears totally integrated."

"Thank you. Your comment is discerning."

They looked at the portrait in the music room. Cathy said, "It's the new Catholic Church at sunset, a copy of the original and better painting I did for them for which I did on a $15,000 commission, which was half of what was offered. The church is community-funded so I was conscious of how taking $15,000 less would help the diocese."

"That was kind of you. Are you Catholic?"

"No."

"What then?"

"Wayward Presbyterian."

He grinned and then floored her. "Where are your best seascapes?"

"H-how did you know?"

"I took an arts masters on literature, and my choice of options was art appreciation."

"Oooh, that's a good mix for a fledging author as you would have been then. Are you published?"

"Just the one novel, 'Mrs Tarzan', loosely based on the early life of Maureen O'Sullivan. But I've had twenty-three short stories published and was paid well for two scripts for films and have had one TV series shown in Ireland the UK. Since term breaks at university, I've never worked for money except for my writing and to avoid starving work on small newspapers as a reporter or feature writer until the next break came."

"Well how interesting. You really need a patron. Perhaps it could be me if you and I prove compatible."

"Really?"

"It's just a thought at this stage. Well, since you have bled your heart to me I'll show you my best work ever. My other better paintings still unsold are in galleries in the city. Now no one knows this painting exists and I trust you never to mention it. I'll present it to the person I'm now pregnant with providing I have the courage to tell him or her who the real father is."

"Kathy, that's too close a secret. You best not show it to me."

"Can I trust you to tell no one?"

"Yes of course, you have my word, but..."

"Then I shall show it to you. It is now hanging in a steel case behind locked doors that were installed yesterday. I painted it from memory and await a photograph so I can paint in finer detail and adjust characterization."

They went down into the cellar. Newly installed lighting illuminated the wall cabinet doors. "First I must tell you the sorry that led to my pregnancy."

When she finished Katherine asked, "Well am I a slut or not."

"No, definitely not. I ask, what option did you have and answer, you took one of them. But Christ, he was a guy sixty-two years of age. The lucky bugger."

Catherine said she was about to have air-con installed to control humidity and temperature which would also be good for the wine. She unlocked the doors and swung them open, taking Danny's empty bottle and saying she'd return with another beer.

When she returned Danny said, "He appears to be a lovely guy. You have put a tremendous amount of work into this. In my view it's public gallery quality Catherine. You must be immensely proud of it."

"Thank you. I needed to have an opinion from someone. We all know our opinions of our own work can be misdirected but I put so much heart into it I felt that would show. Usually I work in acrylics, not oils, and the application techniques are very different. What you see is in essence the finished work, but many more hours are required to finally complete it. First I need to view the guy's photograph."

"A good move. What will you call it?"

"Dad."

Danny cackled and said, "I love it! That's perfect. Are you Irish?"

She smiled. "Both grandmothers were Irish, one Irish-Irish from Shannon, the other from a strong Irish community in Liverpool in England, but I make no claim to being Irish."

After lunch Katherine sent Danny off to work, saying she'd clean up. She gave him options for dinner and her chose steak and salad.

"You don't eat much for a guy?'

"I'm small-framed Kathy and probably weigh less that you do."

"Well perhaps. Off you go. We'll eat at 8:00."

Soft music played throughout Katherine and Danny's first dinner together. She was wearing only a dress, loose fitting, wondering if Danny would make a hit on her and then thinking she'd say no if he did. He wore a white business shirt and dark pants.

"Thank you for dressing up for dinning. Jeans or shorts are okay for breakfast and lunch."

"That's fine. I think I have a tie with me."

"No, please don't wear a tie. I wasn't meaning that level of formality."

"Talking about dress up, if you dropped your dress you'd be naked."

Katherine blushed furiously. "Danny," she murmured weakly.

"I want you dressed like that every evening. If you excuse me for saying this but I like watching your body move under your dress. I image it's your body talking to me."

"Is that all? If it's turning you on I'll wear a shirt and pants."

"No, it's just your body talking to me," Danny said, face impassive as if hiding a lie.

Katherine chose her words carefully. "I am aware it's perfectly normal for a young man to look at a female's body."

"Thank you for saying that. It restores my confidence in you."

"What?"

"It confirms to me that you are level-headed. I didn't want you fearful that I might jump you. I loved your earlier suggestion that we live in a very relaxed manner. I've not encountered that before. We'll develop an excellent creative working environment if we live in harmony and share intimacies without necessarily becoming lovers."

"Lovers."

"Yes," Danny said gently. "Tell me, have you thought about it, however vaguely?"

Katherine's telephone went. She smiled and said, "Saved by the bell" and went to her phone on the coffee table in the lounge.

"Ah, tomorrow evening. Could I call you back in a few minutes?"

Katherine held out her wine glass and Danny topped up both of them.

"Danny. That was my mom inviting me to dinner tomorrow night. I thought you might enjoy her company because although rather neurotic she lectured in English literature at college until retiring a few years ago and daddy is a doctor who is a bit of an authority on back injuries not that that would interest you unless it fits in with your writing. But before I call mom back, there is something I must point out to you."

He grinned. "In time your mom and others will assume I'm the father."

Katherine's relief allowed her mouth to hang open.

"God, you even manage to look attractive when your jaw drops."

"What, oh pardon me. H-how is it you knew what I was about to say?"

"I had witnessed your first frown and guessed it must relate to me being here and you being pregnant and I thought that would show in due course to raise questions in your mother's mind, embarrassing questions. Thank you for considering my feelings but it's quite okay, a new experience. I might even work that into my screenplay."

"So you're not mad at me and thinking of accusing me of entrapment?"

"Was that why you responded to my notice for accommodation?"

"No, it never entered my head. I was feeling lonely and thought a guy or female about to make a play on James Joyce's semi-autobiographical novel would make an interesting house guest."

"A woman you say?"

"Yes, think about it. Your notice made no disclosure about gender."

Danny thought for a moment and nodded. "Yes you're right. I concentrated on making the notice interesting and overlooked checking it for omissions. I must say you are blameless and there's no way would I accuse you of setting me up. The fact you are telling me this before exposing me to your mother clearly establishes your concern about our relationship if we venture out beyond this house together."

"Oh, am I relieved you think that way. There is no need to accompany me tomorrow evening; I can continue to hide you away to avoid embarrassment."

"What do I say if your mother asks am I fucking you?"

"Danny!"

"What?"

"My mother would never phrase it that way or even approach it head-on. She would artfully use obtuse interrogation."

Danny pulled out a notebook.

"Why are you noting this conversation?"

"I'm not, well not really. I've decided you come out with some very interesting phrasing. I'm just noting 'Mother artfully used obtuse interrogation'.

"Well when you finished playing around with words would you please answer whether you want me to hide you away."

"No, I'll enjoy everyone thinking you are fucking me."

"Danny!"

"What?"

"This is so embarrassing."

"Is that so. You appear to be enjoying it. Go call your mom and tell her about me and say you'll have to stay home and provide your house-guest's dinner. And being a good mother she'll say, 'Bring him along dear; I need to check him out'."

"My mother would never say that," Katherine said, casting a withering look and picking up her phone.

Katherine saw Danny grinning at her talking to her mom; she turned her back on him. Then when snapping her phone shut she said, "Oh god. That's what mom said. 'Bring him along dear; I'd like to check him out'."

* * *

Danny drove them to dinner in Katherine's Lexus. Her mother came rushing out to greet them and didn't miss the fact that Danny had been the driver, making Katherine wonder what interpretation would be placed on that... for example, what else was her daughter sharing with the house guest?

But astonishingly, Eva took to Danny like butter on bread. There were times when Katherine almost thought Eva was out to seduce Danny and on one occasion her father winked at her, as if sharing her thought. Katherine beamed when Danny began addressing Richard as 'sir' until her father said, "Enough of that subservient 'sir' crap Danny; call me Dick."

When her mom said, "You're very quiet tonight dear." Dick said, "Well you haven't left much space for anyone else to converse," and that gave Danny the chance to see the Queen of Withering Looks direct one of her very best at her husband.

"I've seen Danny's short story the BBC made into a 30-minute film called 'An Uncomfortable Wedding' and there's a copy of it in the DVD selection at our local library," Eva said grandly. "I'll borrow it for you dear."

"It's okay Mrs Finch. I have a copy of it with me plus my TV series on 'End of Tyranny at Finnegan's Underwear Factory'. Perhaps you'd like to borrow the 6-DVD set?"

"Oh Danny, It would be an honor to sit through the series. Please call me Eva."

Dick looked at his daughter and rolled his eyes grotesquely making Katherine giggle. This was just like the old days when Eva turned queenly when they had influential guests.

Late in the evening Eva said slyly, "I understand there is no chaperone with you two at Dante's Peak?"

Danny handled that with aplomb. "Oh how right you are Eva. I would regard a chaperone as superfluous to requirements."

"Superfluous to requirements?"

"Yes," Danny said seriously. "Chaperone's are usually female. If your daughter decided to have her way with me the unstable chaperone might step forth boldly to get into the act."

"I'm sure I don't know what you are on about Danny" Eva frowned. More coffee?"

Driving home Danny asked, ""Did we pull that off?"

"I would think so. Apart from that one blemish about the chaperone you were a star in my mother's eye and she was amazed to hear my father inviting you to be his guest for lunch at his club on Friday. You heard her say it was the first time he'd invited anyone and he said it was because you were well-mannered, articulate and interesting."

"Well it was one of the few opportunities tonight your father had of saying anything, wasn't it?"

"Yes, and I believe my mom was mentally seducing you."

"Your mom? You said she was over sixty."

"Oh really. And at what age do you think people stop having sex?"

Danny scratched an ear. "Um, I really haven't thought about it. Do you know?"

"No, I think it's one of those great secrets of life."

The young couple poised on the landing before turning into their respective rooms.

Danny said, "That was our first outing together."

"Yes, so it was. I apologize for my mother being so dominating."

"It was okay. She's made her mind up about me and I have her stamp of approval."

"What, to live here."

"Partly that?"

"What then?"

"I'll tell you when you're old enough. May I kiss you?"

"Yes."

They kissed.

Katherine said that was lovely, "Another first with more to go."

Keen not to over-react, Danny asked what did she mean and was told she'll tell him at the time if he was old enough.

Later they sat alone on their respective beds looking at their open door, the expression on their faces could be interpreted as being regret that somehow they'd not 'seized the day'... er not seized the night.

* * *

Danny came home from his five-hour interview absolutely elated.

Katherine came out to greet him, hearing his old vehicle grinding up the steep climb. Danny came up to her smiling and they kissed as if they always kissed in greeting. Another first was notched up. Katherine held an arm around Danny when he'd broken away so he put an arm around her waist and they walked inside.

"Coffee? I want to know all the prime points."

"Niall Duffy was marvelous, still Irish but proud to be a citizen of this country, and knew instantly what I really wanted when I explained the concept of fiction based on real characters although the characters might not recognize themselves something of what they said and had achieved would be recognizable. He took me to see the church and I saw your painting in the foyer -- bloody marvelous and so was his architecture. I said probably the character playing Niall Duffy would be an architect-adventurer and we'd film the church as his greatest work to date. And I met his redhead and interviewed her for forty minutes. She's awesome, just as you said."

"So you are ready to write in earnest."

"Yes except for one last thing."

They were sitting opposite each other, he in a lounge chair, she on a sofa, a coffee table between then. Katherine pulled her legs up on to the sofa and Danny said, "Careful if you are without knickers."

"We call them panties in this country," Katherine said, coloring lightly as she added, "You are entitled to see anything around you in my home that is now your temporary home. What is the one last thing?"

Danny looked in the direction of her crotch and knew she knew she was safe sitting in that position with her legs close together. What a tease! "Um, oh yes. It is important I discuss this with you. The woman attorney I interviewed at length who lives some 500 miles away from here has the story of immigration behind her worthy of a heroine. She escaped being possibly murdered by partners in crime who turned ugly after she, as defense lawyer failed to get their leader off a criminal charge and he went to jail for a long term. The threats against her were very real and rather that hide in Britain she decided to emigrate."

"Well that's a brilliant start to her story."

"True Kathy but unfortunately she is rather mousy and her life here has been insipid. She's confined to representing clients in court on traffic offences and she and her husband have no children and few friends. I'd like to superimpose some of your story and give her your character."

"I see. Very well, providing you sketch my in a little fuzzily and you don't locate her as living on Dante's Point."

"Oh, but that name; it's dramatic and would bring an edge of foreboding in some viewer's minds, invoking emotion that is the element that makes good series great."

"I'm sorry but there you are. Have her living on the edge of Devil's Canyon."

"What? Did you make that up?"

"No, it's an actual place on the far side of the city, in very broken country, wild country. I'll take you there. Because of landslides and difficult of access the last house permitted to be built there was completed sometime in the 1940s. It is still inhabited and is the last large house remaining. Landslides and bush fires have taken all the others. Just change history and say the last two houses there were built in the 1940s. The existing house is two levels so make your heroine's home one level to emphasize that house is not the existing one. There will be money in the film budget to build a fake façade and the crew can do interior shots in any 1940s style home."