Lucifer's Library

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

MILLIE

Yuck. That’s almost as bad as the cess….

VERONICA

Hey. Tony was clean. Every time I smell Ivory soap I think of him. Just because he cleaned…..

MILLIE

Sorry.

LESLIE

It was love at first sight. He played guitar and had a band. I traveled with him for years. Took a lot of acid but never hard drugs. I never shot up. I just bounced around with the gang. Michael loved me, too. He did. But the guys passed groupies around. That’s just what they did. Then one night there was this outdoor concert. There was a thunder storm was brewing. I watched the lightening. What a trip. The storm got really bad. The Roadies wanted to pull the plug on the concert but it was the best gig they’d had in a long time. So they kept playing. The stage was hit by lightening. Michael was electrocuted. Oh God. He just lit up like a sparkler. I was in the first row, not on stage. I thought it was the most beautiful thing…. I didn’t know…. I didn’t know.

When I came down Kevin, the drummer, told me Michael was dead. I freaked out. They had to tie me down to move on to the next show. Kevin was a nut case. He was on meth. His teeth were rotted out and he weighed about 140 pounds. But I’d been with him once or twice – when he asked Michael. Mike said it would be good for the band. Help keep Kevin grounded. When I came out of it Kevin said he’d inherited me. I was so mad. I was sick. God. I was so sick. So I asked the roadie, who was our pusher - he got us whatever drugs we wanted – to get me some smack.

VERONICA

Smack?

LESLIE

Heroin.

VERONICA

Oh.

LESLIE

I knew how to shoot a line. No big deal. I cooked up the whole mess and put myself out of my misery.

MILLIE

Why didn’t you go home?

VERONICA

Why didn’t you kill Kevin? He deserved it.

LESLIE

No. He was just a dip shit. Not worth killing. My family didn’t want anything to do with me. You didn’t go to your dad.

MILLIE

That’s different. I was a disgrace.

LESLIE

So was I.

PAIGE

I see why Lucifer’s interested in us. We have a lot in common.

ALL OF THEM
.
Yeah.

MILLIE

So what now?

PAIGE

We read the books.

MILLIE

Who gets what?

VERONICA

I don’t think it matters. Here, I’ll take this.

MILLIE

What about me, I can’t read.

LESLIE

Just take one. Open it. See what you can see. Lucifer wouldn’t have brought you here if you couldn’t be part of this.

MILLIE

Okay.

Millie grabs a book, opens it. I can’t do this. I can’t. Da’ said women weren’t meant to read.

LESLIE

That’s crap. Do you know your letters?

MILLIE

Yes. ABCDEFGHIJK….


MILLIE

Oh. So what’s the deal about letters?

LESLIE

Look at your book. You see a bunch of letters grouped together?

MILLIE

Yeah. I’m not stupid. I know milk. It’s MILK. And I know Millie. MILLIE. EARL. DAD. Wait a minute. I think I CAN read!! This is pictures of a fairy. That word there. FAIRY. Right? Am I right?

LESLIE

Yeah. Go on.

MILLIE

Miss E.. Eliza…, Elizabeth and the Fairy…

LESLIE

King. You must have gotten some education when you died. It’s a fairy tale. It has a lot of pictures. It must be yours.

MILLIE

This is exciting.

She pulls her chair closer to the fire.

MILLIE

I’m going to enjoy this.

LESLIE

Alright, I’ll take this one.

Paige and Leslie each grab a book. They all settle before the fire and read.

SCENE TWO

VERONICA

I’m done

PAIGE

Me too

MILLIE

I was done hours ago.

LESLIE

Who wants to go first?

MILLIE

I will. Miss Elizabeth is a young lady. She lives in a cottage with her dad. He tells her time and time again not to go into the hills. He says the fairy people will get her if she does and that they may look pretty but they’re a plague to humans. So of course, Elizabeth is curious about the fairies. Scared, but curious. It had been raining for a week. Elizabeth is bored. So around tea time this day the sun comes out. Elizabeth decides to take a walk. It’s so pretty out she wanders farther than she should. She sees it’s getting dark and starts to hurry back. But she trips and falls. She tumbles down a hill and is stunned. She lands in a beautiful glen. She tries to get up but her ankle is broken. Night’s falling and she’s terrified. She knows the fairies are going to get her. So she tries to crawl up the hill. She hears gentle laughter behind her.

Voice from the other side of door 1.

“Stay where you are, little one. You’ll hurt yourself more if you don’t stop.”

MILLIE

She stops, trembling. A dashing youth flies up the hill. He lands next to her.

“You’re a fairy. Please. Don’t hurt me.”

“Why would I hurt you? You’ve done enough damage yourself.”

MILLIE

He touches her face. They both feel a great spark. A lightening bolt, Elizabeth thinks. But no. He felt it too.

“What is this? [He asks himself.] She’s a girl. I can’t have anything to with her. But I can’t just leave her here.”

MILLIE

He pulls her up. Sets her on her feet. They kiss. It’s like the world stopped. It’s magic.

“What’s you name? Where do you live?”

“I’m Elizabeth Treefellow.. I live with my da’ in a cottage…..

”Treffel!ow!” [he curses silently]. “That’s the rotter who’s killing the forest. How could such a nice, pretty girl be a spawn of that home wrecker.”

MILLIE

He stiffens. He heals her foot and flies her home, silently, angrily. The flight was the most exciting, exhilarating thing that ever happened to her. But she feels his anger.

“What did I do wrong?”

When they get to the cottage the fairy sets her on her feet, bows. He’s about to take off.

“What did I do? I didn’t do anything wrong. I love you. I don’t even know you name. Will you please, at least tell me your name?”

“I’m King Ravensilk. That’s my forest you dad’s destroying, Treefellow.”

“No. Never.”

MILLIE

She morns for him and he can’t get her out of his mind. She follows her father and watches him fell tree after tree. She goes out to the forest every evening looking for Ravensilk. Then her father’s killed by a huge old oak. Elizabeth goes to the Earl and asks him to put a stop to the tree felling. He agrees, but only if she becomes his mistress. Ravensilk’s so happy that the tree-felling was at an end but he curses Elizabeth for being a whore. He didn’t know that her virginity was the cost. Elizabeth waits every night at the window hoping to see her fairy king. Her health fails. Ravensilk learns she’s dying and goes to her. He overhears someone say what she did for the fairies. He flies away with her. They have a beautiful wedding and she starts having babies.”

LESLIE

That’s beautiful

PAIGE

Romantic crap.

VERONICA

What?

PAIGE

There is no fairy King and there’s no happy ending. Except in my book….

LESLIE

Go ahead. What’s your book about?.

VERONICA

Okay. It starts out with Miranda, a little Tom boy, living with her mother in the guest house of a great mansion. Miranda’s mother Sally is a single mother. She was destitute when her car broke down in at the gates of the estate. The Windsor family takes her and Miranda in. They give Sally a job in the estate’s nursery. Sally carries a grudge against the family because she thought they thought she was common. She warns Miranda about the family. Miranda doesn’t care. She’s never going to get married. The family really loves Miranda. Except for Sam. He’s eight years older than her and teases her about being such a Tom boy. But she fall in love with him. He goes away to school. She doesn’t see him for four years. When he come back she’s all grown up. She’s beautiful. Sam sees her in at a party and asked her to dance. He doesn’t recognize her. When they step out on the dance floor and he took her in his arms they felt this shimmer. It’s electrifying. Sam thinks she’s the most wonderful girl in the world. Miranda’s coy. After the dance they step out onto the balcony. They kiss. It’s like a nuclear fusion. Miranda know they were meant to be together. She starts to tell him who she is and how she waited for him. But as she started to speak, Anna, a lovely, cold, blond walks up.

VOICE from door number 2.

“There you are. Sam. I’ve been looking everywhere for you. Look. The ring is just beautiful. I can’t wait until we….”

Miranda’s face turns bright red.

“Who’s this?” purrs the blond.

VERONICA

Miranda turns and runs.

VOICE from the door

“Well. That was interesting. What did you do to her?”

“Shut up, Anna. I don’t like it when you purr. You sound like a God damn house cat.”

“Well. I never.”

VERONICA

Anna stalks off. Sam gets drunk. He runs off the road on the way back to Anna’s place. Anna’s okay. But Sam’s head hits the windshield. He’s in a coma for four months. Miranda’s been slipping into the hospital every night. She talks to him for hours. She tells him everything. She makes up stories. She gets there early one day. Anna’s leaving the hospital room.

VOICE from the door

“They should pull the plug. He’s never going to wake up and if he does, well, he’ll be a vegetable.”

VERONICA

Anna leaves. Miranda goes into the room. She cries and cries. She takes his hand.

VOICE from the door.

“I’ll never let you go.”

VERONICA

Same squeezes her hand.

VOICE

“I felt that. Sam. I felt that. Do it again.”

VERONICA

He squeezes her hand again. He wakes up. Sees her.

VOICE

“I remember you. How do I know you? Who are you?”

VERONICA

Miranda calls for the doctor. It’s a miracle. They have hot and heavy sex in the hospital that night. The next day Anna comes to visit. Miranda overhears Anna saying

VOICE

“I told mums to start planning the wedding. I think a June wedding. What do you think dear?”

VOICE

“Anna, my love. You really were there for me. I heard you talking to me when I was asleep.”

VOICE

“You did? Oh, of course you did.”

VERONICA

Anna sees Miranda who’s hiding in a corner waiting for Anna to leave. She goes out and confronts Miranda.


VOICE

“Who are you?”

VOICE

“I’m Miranda, you witch. You just want him for the money.”

VERONICA

Anna bars the door so Miranda can’t get in.

VOICE

Go away. If I see you here again. …”

Anna leaves. Sam’s tired and wants to sleep.

VOICE

Tell me a story, Anna. You voice is so soothing.

VOICE

“I have to go. Wedding plans. See you tomorrow. Sam turns his face to the wall.

VOICE

“You’re not her. I don’t know who you are. Who was she?”

VOICE

“She no one. A nobody.”

VOICE

“Go away, Sam says. Just, leave. I never want to see or hear from you again.

VOICE

“It’s not over, you’re going to marry me whether you like it or not.

VOICE

“I’d rather die.

VERONICA

Sam turns his back to the wall, goes to sleep. The next morning he won’t wake up. Two days later Miranda hears that Sam’s fallen back into a coma. She rushes to the hospital. She grabs his hand.

VOICE

Wake up God damn it. If you don’t wake up I’ll join you. I will.

Who are you?

I’m the little Tom boy. Remember me? I’m Miranda. I’ve loved you for so long. I’ll never let you sleep again.

I love you too

VERONICA

They have gentle healing, sex. They get married the next June. Miranda starts having babies.

PAIGE

What is this? It’ the same damn story. Over and over and over. These are nothing but romance novels. Fuck this. Fuck this.

LESLIE

Wait. You haven’t heard mine!

VERONICA

It’s the same thing though, isn’t it?

LESLIE

No. Not really. Kinda. But the girl’s six months pregnant when the story begins. She’s a colored girl.

MILLIE

A what?

PAIGE

African American. A black girl. Well. That’s a twist. Go on.

LESLIE

It’s 1995. Her name’s Jacqueline. She lives in Harlem. She’s a very smart, pretty 16 year old. She has a lot of musical talent. Her momma’s boyfriend, Butch, starts to fiddle around with her when she’s 12. She tells her momma. Her momma slaps her and says she’s a lying, scheming slut.

VOICE

“We got to have bread on our table, girl. Don’t go ‘round telling stories. You want him to leave? Then what we gonna do?

You could go back to whorin’ Or sellin’drugs. Give me a stake. I’ll bring more in than that horny, old… fool….

You little bitch.

LESLIE

Her momma pulls out the extension cord and whips her butt. So Jackie keeps her mouth shut and her eyes open. She stays at school as much as possible. Sleeps at friends houses. Sometimes she sleeps on the street. She meets a young blues player when she’s sixteen, Solo. He’s white. He plays the sax and has a voice that’s pure magic. He was gay….

MILLIE

What’s gay?

PAIGE

Shuss.

LESLIE

So she felt safe around him. And they really sing well together. She joins the band. She’s hardly ever home. Solo sees her to the subway after every gig. But one night Butch is waiting at the stop. He sees her with Solo and goes crazy. He beats Solo up and drags Jackie into his Cadillac.

VOICE

You’re nothing but a ‘ho. Just like your mamma. And her momma before her.

LESLIE

Butch beats Jacqueline up and rapes her. Then he takes her home.

VOICE

See what a nice little girl you have? He sneers. I caught her kissing a white boy uptown..

LESLIE

Her mamma’s enraged.

VOICE

Yeah, you’re pretty. But you’re worthless. High yella. Who do you think you are fuckin’ white boys? What you gonna get but a big belly and a broken heart? You stay where you belong, girl, or I’ll whip you so….

LESLIE

Butch stands in the doorway laughing. Jackie grabs a knife and stabs Butch. She runs out of the house. She’s caught by the police. But the cop who got her was pure magic. Black as night. Tall. Lean. His name’s David. When he touches her she knows he’s the one for her. He feels it too. But she’s scared.. They struggle. The struggle turns into an embrace. They kiss. It was the best thing that ever happened to Jackie.

MILLIE

The kiss.

PAIGE

Yup. Saw that coming a mile away.

PAIGE

Shut up. This is good stuff. What happens?

Jackie gets put in a girl’s jail. But David does some investigating. He finds Solo who tells him everything.

VOICE

Are you sure you don’t like men? You sure are sumpthin.”

David visits Jacqueline every day, bringing flowers. He gets the charges dropped and bugs social services to find her a good foster home. He gets an audition at Juilliard. She’s accepted. But she’s pregnant. It’s Butch’s bastard child. She’s ashamed. She tries to seduce David. He gets disgusted. She’s too young. What about her career? He won’t have anything to do with her sexually. And who the hell was she sleeping with anyway?

VOICE

You’re just like….

Don’t you dare say it. I can’t believe that’s what you think. I love you. I trusted you. You threw it all in my face. Just like my mamma? What are you gonna to do now? Beat me up? Rape me. Go ‘head. Been there. Done that. Just go away. I never want to see you again.

LESLIE

David goes off. Solo follows him.

VOICE

What’s wrong with you? He shouts. She the best little girl. You’re not worth shit…. I’ll marry her and I’ll raise that fucker’s bastard.”

Who? Just tell me who? I love her.

Figure it out. If you love her you’ll get it.”

LESLIE

David stews for a while. Then one night he’s in his car. He see Jackie. Butch has her. She has a gun

VOICE

You fucking bastard, I’ll kill and then I’ll kill your little bastard baby.

LESLIE

David rushes to the rescue. They have hot, torrid love that night. They bare their souls. Sleep for a while. Then make long, healing love. They get married. She has the baby.

VOICE

After he’s grown, David whispers, you can start your singing career.

LESLIE

That’s it. Very different.

The other women shake their heads.

PAIGE

No it’s not. It’s the same damn plot.

LESLIE

Ya know, you’re right. I didn’t see it. Now what?

VERONICA

I don’t know. I’m tired. Let’s give it a rest.

SCENE II

LUCIFER

Girls, girls, girls. What are you doing lying around? I thought you’d be out there changing history.

MILLIE

You sneaky little devil. You set us up. They’re all the same.

VERONICA

Yeah. You’re playing us for fools. We’re happy here.

OTHERS

Yeah. We don’t need men.

LUCIFER

I’m hurt. I’m sorry you feel that way. But that’s not the deal. You don’t get to stay here. If you want to go….. (points to the fireplace) That’s your way out. Up or down. Doesn’t matter to me at all. Not one bit. Turns to leave. You have four days. Or, well, have a nice eternity.

WOMEN

WAIT. WAIT. We’re tired. We didn’t mean….

LUCIFER

Do what you want. Good night girls.

The fire roars and crackles. It reaches out and catches Paige’s leg.

PAIGE

Oh shit! I’m on fire! Help me!

The women grab Paige and pull her away from the flames. They pull her pants off which are ablaze. They throw the pants into the fire.

VERONICA [sarcastically]

That was fun.

The clock, which has been silent, starts to tick.

MILLIE

Okay. I say we grab a play and jump. We don’t have time to read them. I don’t; want to end up in hell. I REALLY DON’T WANT TO GO THERE.

LESLIE

CALM DOWN. EVERYONE JUST CALM DOWN. It’s not over. We have choices.

PAIGE

Choices. Yeah, I guess. He’s trying to scare us. He wants us to make mistakes. He doesn’t care a thing about us. He just wants our souls. We gotta stick together. There are four books left. Let’s see. Gone With the Wind. I always thought Rhett Butler was a snake in the grass. He taught her everything he knew and then despised her for being just like him. Paige opens the book. You know? I think I can work with this.

A door appears. I guess that’s my ticket out.

Paige walks through the door and disappears.

MILLIE

Who’s Rhett Butler? I’m missing something here.

LESLIE

What’s this one? Anna Karenina. Yeah. Another classic. I ain’t standing in front of no train. And it will be COOL in Russia.

Another door opens. Leslie disappears.

Veronica picks up a book.

VERONICA

Lady Chatterley’s lover.

She’s gone.

MILLIE

What’s this? Tess of the D’….
SCENE III

Lucifer ushers four men into the room which the women just vacated. They are naked. There is costume on hook at each door the women have just passed through. There are eight books, a chess board and a deck of cards on the table.


LUCIFER

Come on in gentlemen. Make yourselves at home. Come on.. Don’t take all day about it. I have a tight schedule. I took time out for you but I don’t have much time.

THE MEN

Who are you? What the fuck is this? (and so on for several minutes)


LUCIFER

You had your chance. Lucifer exits.

The fire roars. The men jump back.

DION
l
WAIT. WAIT.

The others chime in. Come back.

NICK

We want to hear your proposal. You didn’t give us enough time to decide.

LEO

That’s right.

Lucifer re-enters.

LUCIFER

I thought you’d listen to reason. Here’s the deal. All four of you were damned. Truly fucked. No chance for appeal.

The fire roars again.

NICK

We get the picture.

LUCIFER

I heard about your cases. They interested me. I intervened.

.DION

Big of you.

LUCIFER

Was that sarcasm?

DION

No. I meant it. Thanks. So we stay here a while. Settle in. Then off to the golden light. Right?