Marcus of Duros Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I was told there was no transfusion Master Chilgo, am I wrong?" Marcus asked, confused.

"No, you're quite right. There was no transfusion, but there should have been. An administrator reviewed the case and felt that there was no need for a transfusion, despite the insistence of your attending physicians, myself included. That very same administrator is sitting in your living room, as it happens. Because of the administration's decision, you got quite sick as a result of the oxygen deprivation. Now they are in serious hot water with their Lordships. They were furious that you were overlooked. I don't even want to think about what they would have done had you not survived."

An audible inhalation from Chloe jarred the physician out of his clinical chatter. Looking over, Marcus saw that Chloe's eyes were still wet with unshed tears.

"Sorry ma'am." The physician apologized quietly.

"Master Chilgo this has been very difficult for my wife. I am sure you mean well, but I would like to be unencumbered by visitors as soon as possible, that other Master in my living room is no exception. Can we please talk about my recovery?"

"Yes of course, I'm very sorry Commander, I wasn't thinking." Chilgo said, his voice still hushed.

"Of course, Master Chilgo. Now, about my recovery..."

The short physician nodded and leaned in, unbuttoning the shirt Marcus was wearing. Slowly pulling back the bandages on his chest and abdomen, the great long gashes were revealed, all neatly stitched together; still slightly red from irritation.

"The stitches have held well. No sign of infection; just a little redness. That's normal for such large lacerations. The stitches can probably come out sometime next week, and the wounds should be completely closed up around a week after that. These bandages are excellent by the way, but I didn't put these on; I haven't been able to get back to see you in several days."

"That was Mrs. Anatoli and myself." Chloe answered the physician. "We saw his dressings were a little bloody so we changed them ourselves rather than have you come all the way across the city."

"Well I dare say the matrons are teaching you some useful skills at the Forum ma'am." The grizzled man smiled at Chloe. "Any other medical skills you're holding out on? Do I even need to come back and take out his stitches?"

Chloe blushed with embarrassment under the scrutiny of the aging master. "I would certainly feel much more comfortable if you did it Master Chilgo. I can't say that I've had much practical experience with sutures. Besides, I'd rather keep the amount of medical work I have to do on my husband to a minimum." Chloe answered, looking significantly at Marcus as she finished.

"Quite right, I understand completely." Chilgo said, grinning at Marcus. "Well, that should be all. There is no infection, the gashes are healing nicely, and it seems you are in full control of your mental faculties once again. I should warn you to keep physical exertions to a limit, and don't try to walk a great distance until I come back to take the stitches out. Along those lines... I would suggest keeping any sort ofintimacybetween yourselves as passive as possible; wouldn't want to rip the stitches out ahead of schedule." Chilgo winked at Marcus and set about replacing his bandages and shirt.

"Thank you for coming so discretely Master Chilgo," Marcus said, his cheeks coloring slightly from embarrassment. "Could I ask you to make your exit much in the same way so that my wife and I could have a few more minutes before I am interrogated by the master in my living room?"

"Of course, Commander. I'll see you next week to take those stitches out."

Chilgo stood up and padded over to the door, opening it as quietly as possible. With a devilish wink he exited through the door, closing it behind him slowly. From the living room Marcus could hear Valentina laughing loudly at something the man she was currently distracting had said, possibly attempting to cover the sound of Master Chilgo's exit from the apartment.

Turning his attention back to Chloe, Marcus realized he had no idea what to say to her; he felt horribly guilty for the suffering he had subjected her to. While it was true he himself had sustained great injuries, at the end of the execution he had passed out, and had been blissfully unaware of any pain or discomfort at all until an hour ago. Chloe on the other hand had been through more than a week of it.

Marcus wasn't quite sure how to explain why he consented to be the executioner for the condemned man. He supposed that there was some fear involved. If he refused the honor the men had given him, he might be labeled as a coward not only by the men, but by the Lords as well. While that was certainly a good motivator, he had to admit to himself that it was exciting to be called.

When the crowd in the Hall had settled on his name he recalled how adrenaline coursed through him. The idea of going up against another man with swords as their weapons and only one winner had been exhilarating. In the end he hadn't given much credence to the possibility that he could be mortally wounded in the arena. Marcus admitted to himself that it was probably his own ego that nearly ended his life. He likely could have deferred the honor to one of his junior officers and the crowd would have settled for it, but in the end he got so wrapped up in the thrill that he wasn't thinking about the consequences.

Marcus came to this conclusion with a great deal of self-loathing. Seldom in his career had he made choices in the thrill of the moment as opposed to thinking through them and weighing the consequences. He was even more shocked that he had done so without thinking about what impact his actions could have on others. He wasn't alone anymore; he had Chloe to think about. Just as a commander shouldn't take unnecessary risks, a husband should avoid it much in the same way.

The more Marcus thought about it, the guiltier he felt. What if she was pregnant from their intimacy the previous days? Granted it was only a few times, and while that was rarely enough to result in a pregnancy in this day in age, it was certainly possible. What if he had died with their baby on the way, forcing her to take a severance pension and raise their child alone?

Looking at her, Marcus could tell she expected him to say something.

"Chloe... I... I just wanted to say that I'm sorry. It wasn't fair to go into the arena with that man without thinking about the consequences. Of course I didn't expect to be hurt so badly, but seeing how it all ended, I suppose that wasn't too far outside the realm of possibility. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm sorry I put you in this position. I'm sorry for how difficult I've made the past few days for you. And lastly, I'm sorry that I didn't think enough about what I was agreeing to, and how it would impact you. I promise that I will do better from here on out."

As he finished she looked at him critically, taking several moments to collect herself before she answered.

"I accept your apology. You're right, it was wrong of you to not think about how it would affect me. I know that you probably didn't think you would get hurt in there, but you did. It was reckless of you to go in, guns blazing, without thinking it through first. You left me out in the dark. I had no idea what was going on, and I hadn't even gotten to talk to you before you went in. This whole week I've been thinking about that. What if you hadn't woken up? What if you'd died and I'd never gotten to say any sort of goodbye. You're a commander of the Legion, your safety is in jeopardy constantly when you're on campaign. I can accept that, not happily, but I accept it because you have a job to do. Going into that arena to kill that man was not your job. You did not have to accept that. I think the worst part of it all was that I had to watch. I had to watch you get cut to pieces and fall and not get back up. I thought you were dead. Then they rushed you out on a litter so fast that it took all of us nearly an hour to get to the infirmary and find out you weren't dead. That whole time I thought you had died right in front of me, and I hadn't even gotten to say goodbye."

As Chloe spoke, tears cascaded down her cheeks; her words choked with emotion and pain. Marcus felt a deep sadness as she told him what she had been feeling. He himself felt tears prick his eyes as the guilt in his heart was increased tenfold.

"Chloe, I am so sorry that I did that to you, and I promise, I will never make that mistake again." Marcus managed through the lump in his throat.

Chloe buried herself in a furious hug into Marcus' side; clinging to him as if she feared he would float away. Marcus recognized that she didn't want him to say any more. She simply wanted to be held, so he hugged her back just as hard.

After a few minutes Chloe stopped crying and her breathing began to level out. Pulling herself up from his side where she had been lying she sighed.

"I didn't hurt you did I?" Chloe asked tentatively.

"No, why?" Marcus answered curiously.

"Well, I was hugging you a little tight, that's all." She said with embarrassment.

"I think I'll live." Marcus said with a grin.

"Good. Thanks for letting me say what I had to say, Marcus. I needed to get it off my chest. I'm also glad you realize how reckless it was, but I don't want to scold you. I want us to move past this and get on with our lives. Let's chalk it up to a teachable moment and leave it at that, shall we?" Chloe finished, winking at Marcus teasingly.

"Right... teachable moment." Marcus answered, rolling his eyes dramatically.

"Right now, all I want to do is get you healthy again, alright?"

"A solid plan if ever I heard one. Did Master Chilgo say anything about me being allowed to get up and walk around?"

"He said that you'd probably be fine with getting up and going short distances, but that you would probably be too weak to go anywhere on your own."

"Weak, huh?" Marcus said, challengingly.

Chloe rolled her eyes and snorted.

"It's not an insult, just a professional opinion. Why are you men always so eager to take offense? If you think you can get up and run around, you go right ahead."

As she finished speaking, Marcus grinned at her. "Perhaps it would be best to heed the professional opinion after all." He said casually.

"He also said that once you woke up you would be very hungry after sleeping for so long with so little nutrition, and that we should attempt to feed you something solid if you felt ready for it." Chloe replied

Marcus grinned. Just as she was speaking he had felt his stomach rumble with intense dissatisfaction; something he had failed to notice until now.

"I am hungry." Marcus admitted sheepishly. "Is there anything already made in the kitchen?"

"Tell you what tough-guy; I'll go see if there is something for you to eat, and if so I'll bring it and the other master from the infirmary in to check on you so we can get him out of Valentina's hair." Chloe said, kissing him on the cheek as she rose from the bed.

"Alright." Marcus answered. "Thank you, Chloe."

"You're very welcome, Marcus." Chloe said, smiling as she exited the room.

Several minutes passed before she returned; a large mug in hand and the enthusiastic master in tow.

"Commander Crassus, sir," the overweight man said, snapping a brisk salute, "it is an honor to meet you. I am Master Rallick from the Infirmary. I was ordered by their Lordships themselves to make an examination of your progress and give them a report. You are scheduled to lead a campaign in a few weeks and the Lords want to make sure your health is evaluated before you are cleared for duty."

"Welcome, Master Rallick. I trust my wife and our dear friend Valentina have seen that you had some refreshment?" Marcus answered coldly as Chloe handed him the mug filled with steaming beef broth.

"Oh yes, Mrs. Anatoli was most hospitable. Such a nice woman." The master answered enthusiastically. Evidently his temper had been softened by Valentina's knack for politicking. "Your wife as well, of course." Rallick finished, flushing slightly at the accidental slight.

"Of course." Marcus answered, sipping the beef broth with vigor. "Now I believe you have an examination to begin."

"Of course, Commander, I will try to be as quick as possible."

The master began a physical inspection of the wounds, paying special attention to the laceration to Marcus' stomach. Evidently it held the greatest concern for him.

"Lift your leg upwards, sir?"

Marcus lifted his right leg upwards towards the ceiling, supported slightly by Rallick's hand underneath his knee.

"Hold it there as long as you can. I'm interested to see if your stomach muscles have begun to heal satisfactorily. Right now by keeping your leg inclined you are forcing your core to work extremely hard compared to how sedentary you've been recently due to your condition."

As he spoke, Rallick removed his hand, leaving Marcus' leg suspended in the air. After several moments a mild shake began as Marcus struggled to keep his leg lifted.

"Don't worry if you shake slightly, sir. That's natural after what you've been through. I just want to see how long you can keep your leg in the air."

Marcus kept his leg suspended for nearly a minute until it fell back to the bed.

"Excellent, sir, if you had been unable to keep it suspended for more than a few moments there would be cause for concern. I'm fairly certain that if you're willing to try we could get you on your feet in a matter of minutes."

"Certainly, let's try, Master Rallick. I dare say I've been in this bed long enough."

With Chloe's help, Rallick oriented Marcus to a sitting position at the side of the bed with his feet flat on the floor.

"Sit like this for just a moment, if you would, sir. Often when there has been significant blood loss an individual can feel lightheaded after exercise."

Marcus sat, as requested, and finished the last of the broth Chloe had brought in. A ravenous hunger had hit him as began to eat, and it was no better now that he had finished an entire mug of broth.

"Master Rallick what would you say about eating some more solid food? A stew perhaps? I do believe that my appetite has come back."

"Certainly, shall we attempt to get you mobile first?"

"Absolutely, let's continue."

With a great push, Marcus forced himself off the bed and onto his feet, supported at each arm by Rallick and Chloe.

"Well that wasn't so terrible. I don't feel lightheaded at all. A little tired perhaps, but nothing serious."

"Let's try to walk you over to the dresser, sir."

After a few tentative steps, the trio walked Marcus confidently across the bedroom, then back again. Rallick had Marcus sit back on the bed as he checked his heart rate.

"Barely elevated. That's a very good sign. You will probably feel able to walk anywhere you please, Commander, but if you try to walk a greater distance, outside the apartment perhaps, you will reach a point where you are too exhausted to continue. It's a simple fact of major blood loss, but I'm sure your experience in the Legion has taught you that."

Marcus grunted in agreement, slightly irritated by the point the man made, however correct it was. At this moment he had a huge craving for Danny's stew with empanadas.

"Let me just check your sutures and I'll take my leave." Rallick continued.

Master Rallick took several minutes checking over Marcus' wounds for signs of infection or incorrectly placed sutures. When he had finished he straightened his uniform, and said his goodbyes.

"As soon as your stitches have been removed I will return and walk you across the city. That will be the last test to confirm that you are indeed ready for combat again. In the meantime I will inform their Lordships that your progress is remarkable, considering the circumstances, and that I am optimistic that you will make a full recovery in time for your campaign."

Marcus' curiosity was piqued by the master's emphasis on his campaign.

"Master Rallick, I have one question for you before you go. Why are their Lordships so concerned about me and the campaign? I'm quite sure that one of my captains could take my place to see the campaign through, in the event that I am still indisposed when the time comes."

"You are quite right, Commander. Perhaps you might ask them yourself, but I would speculate that it is because under your command most campaigns your battalion has undertaken have been successful. You are a great asset to the state, if I may say so, sir."

"I appreciate the sentiment, Master Rallick. Thank you for coming. You're dismissed."

"Yes, Commander."

Master Rallick snapped a quick salute and left, evidently eager to report his findings to the Lords. Marcus had no doubt that Rallick was very much a political animal in stark contrast to Chilgo. Chilgo's easy demeanor and kindly attitude left the impression that he truly cared about Marcus and his health. Rallick's interest seemed entirely fixated upon Marcus' ability to serve.

"Well, he seemed... nice." Chloe said from where she stood next to the bed.

"I suppose... if you like bureaucratic monkeys. I suspect his caring demeanor is more or less a mask that he puts on when it pleases him. He knew he wasn't going to get anywhere with Valentina once his bluster and bullying failed to garner any results, so he switched tactics. Don't let Valentina think that just because he turned nice after she started offering him food that she was the cause of his temper reversal."

"Of course I know that Marcus, I'm not an idiot." Valentina said, coming through the door at the least opportune time. "I also suspect that you wouldn't be so condescending if you weren't starving.

In front of her Valentina carried a bowl, and a small plate of empanadas.

"Danny came by. He didn't stay, but he told me these are your absolute favorite."

"Humph. His ears must have been burning. I was just thinking about his empanadas. Can I eat them at the table though? I'm tired of laying in this bed and my body hurts from being still for so long."

As Valentina carried the food back into the dining room, Chloe helped Marcus to his feet again. Walking confidently, albeit with Chloe's hand gripping his arm, Marcus made his way down the hall with little difficultly, only wincing slightly when his stitches pulled. As he took his seat at the table, Valentina and Chloe sat down as well, tucking into the same stew that Marcus was. Evidently, Danny had brought plenty.

"He brought more empanadas as well, but I figured we should keep a limit on how much food you eat in a sitting. The liquid diet Master Chilgo had you on may have upset your stomach slightly." Valentina said in between spoonfuls.

Marcus was irritated with the amount of directives being shot his way. He was unaccustomed to taking orders from Valentina, but apparently she had promoted herself to the position of head nurse.

As he thought more about it, Marcus had to admit that it was only his bruised ego talking. Valentina's had worked tirelessly throughout his illness, keeping watch over Chloe and himself, at the cost of her own family's happiness. Perhaps not her family's exactly, but Anatoli's certainly; playing wife for the past week must have been a huge reversal for him.

******


Over the next few days Marcus and Chloe settled into a comfortable schedule. They went to bed early, and slept in late. They didn't go out, but spent all their time inside with visitors, of which there was abundance. They didn't have to cook much either as Danny and his wife were only too happy to bring over Marcus' favorites on a regular basis.

Despite Marcus's insistence, Danny wouldn't accept any coins in exchange for the food, which must have cost quite a bit to make and transport. Finally, after four days of repeated refusals from Danny, Marcus sent one of the young legionnaires who stood guard at the door on a mission. He filled a small bag with coins equaling the approximate value he knew the food to be, plus a little extra for the trouble and told the young man to order a small meal for himself and leave the amount in the purse as a tip. Danny was too proud to accept money from Marcus, but he would surely take it from someone he did not know.