Mate for Life

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Taris!" Emmy protested.

"Oh hush, Em," Glenna nudged her cousin. "It's a guy thing."

Emily sighed and sipped her tea. Daegon nodded in perfect understanding to Taris and put his arm around her.

"After meeting Emily and you," Daegon said cheerfully, "I have to wonder why Evean's considered the reckless one."

"He got all of Dad's charm and talent, and none of Mom's sense of responsibility," Taris took a long swallow of ale. "Damn him."

"He's a good guy, honestly," Glenn interjected. "Just..."

"...impulsive," Emmy finished.

"Reckless," Taris restated. "Stubborn. And lucky as hell."

"When do I get to meet him?" Bran asked, laughing.

"At the wedding," Taris answered promptly.

"Ohhhhh, Daeg popped the question already?" Bran clapped his ranger on the shoulder. "Fast work!"

Emily groaned and hid her face in her hands. Daegon laughed.

"Excuse us," he said charmingly, tugging Emily to her feet. "I think you've all tortured my lady enough." Emily was vivid pink and wouldn't meet anyone's eyes, hurrying ahead to the door. She was out it before anyone could speak again. Daeg sketched a salute and followed.

"Good luck! Make it romantic!" Glenna called after him cheerfully.

A moment later, Daegon roared in the courtyard, causing the six adventurers to overturn their table in their rush to get outside, spilling ale and food everywhere. Daegon stood stock-still, eyes wild, sniffing the air frantically.

"She's gone," he snarled.

"That's impossible," Taris said, looking around frantically. "She can't just be gone."

"Actually, it's very possible," Mendel said, his eyes closed in concentration. "Very advanced magic's been done here."

"Can you follow the magical signature?" demanded Daegon.

"I can. But I can only take one with me, and it has to be now," Mendel was taking out components as he spoke. "Go to the Guild," he instructed Bran. "I'll leave as large a signature as I can; Balthar knows it. He's strong enough to get you all to us. Daeg, hold on."

Daegon grabbed the back of Mendel's robe in a death grip, knowing all too well not to interfere with the mage's hands. As the energy crackled and spat around them, he felt a lunge and another's grasp around his wrist, but the warning died in his throat as the three of them were sucked away by an invisible wind. They were tossed like dice onto the ground after an agonizing eternity in....nowhere, as far as Daegon could tell. He shook his head, trying to clear it, and looked into the stark face of Taris.

"You fucking idiot!" Daegon snarled, fist drawn back. "You could have killed any chance we had to find Emily!" Mendel, showing remarkable strength for a wizard, stopped Daegon's hand from flying into the face of the other ranger. Daegon shook him off, but didn't try to hit Taris again.

"She's my sister!" Taris growled. "What would you do?"

"Daeg, shut up," Mendel said calmly. "I had enough for three, any fool could see Taris would do what he did. Look for Emily. Can you smell her?"

Daegon immediately stopped and inhaled deeply. "She was here. Can you do that again?"

"No, and unless the mage that snatched her is near godlike in power, neither can he." He paused. "But he had to have been prepared on this end, or they'd still be close. Are they?"

"No," Daegon had circled about, trying to pick up a scent, and found it leading away from....where were they? The place smelled vaguely familiar. "I know this place," he said slowly. "I haven't been here in years, but I think it's the..."

"...Great North Forest," Taris finished. "It's not far from where we found that troll that killed Garrick."

"You were there?" Daegon asked in surprise.

"Yeah," Taris nodded grimly. "Garrick needed a good ranger, and my last party had split up, and I got to see family for a while. The caves are about five miles that way," he pointed northwest.

"The rest of the party will be here in about a half hour," Mendel guessed. "I suggest you stay and lead them to us, Taris. If you're half the tracker Daeg is, that will be a cakewalk."

"Two trackers are better than one," Taris argued. "You stay, I'll go with Daegon."

Mendel looked at him seriously. "Right. A werewolf taking on an extremely powerful wizard and friends with a ranger. Good thinking."

Taris growled in frustration, and Daegon almost felt sorry for him. He noted that Taris hadn't suggested that Daegon stay, and nodded to the man, offering his hand.

"We'll see you soon. I'll see your sister safe," he promised.

"See that you do," Taris said as they shook.

Daegon nodded grimly and paused only long enough to strip, shoving his clothes into his pack and handing his bow and quiver to Taris. Mendel took the pack without comment, whispered something, and it disappeared into his robes. Daegon shimmered, his power suddenly roaring to life, and his howl echoed through the forest.

"Holy Selune," Taris whispered, staring at the giant wolf. "I knew, but...." he swallowed, his eyes wide. "I hope they didn't hear that."

Daegon winked, his muzzle drawn into a deadly snarl.

"I hope they did. Then Emily will know he's coming," Mendel said briskly.

The odd pair disappeared into the shadows, as the sun slowly tracked westward.

Emily was dizzy and bound hand and foot, a gag uncomfortably wedged in her mouth. She had been whisked away magically almost as soon as she stepped out into the yard, the force of the spell disorienting her as she spilled onto the forest floor. She hadn't any time to shake off its effects before a knee had brutally shoved into her back and her arms twisted painfully behind her, bound by leather lacing, followed by her ankles. A dirty rag was shoved halfway down her throat and tied with a strip of cloth around her head. Careful probing with her tongue had guided the rag more forward, allowing her gag reflex to stop trying to kick in, but being slung over a horse's back facedown had done nothing to help her figure out where in the wide realms she was. No one spoke any language she understood, and her abductor was on another horse. They didn't speak to her at all. Her heart sank as she realized that there was little chance anyone could find her.

She'll just have to rescue herself, she decided fiercely.

She considered how to do that as they rode on. Short of somehow flinging herself off a trotting horse, which would be worse than useless, nothing came to mind. Her head began to ache from being upside down so long, and the jarring gait of the horse was bruising her ribs. Seemingly hours later, they stopped and she was tossed over someone's shoulder, carried a short distance, and dropped unceremoniously into a patch of dirt. Emily blinked as a fire was lit, shaking her head. Six men, one in dark mage's robes and the other five bristling with various weapons, secured the camp and took out rations, talking in low voices. No one offered her food.

Maybe if I stay very quiet, they'll forget I'm here, Emily thought, knowing it was ridiculous but out of ideas. Hell, she hadn't had any ideas to begin with.

Then she heard it. A quiet rustling somewhere behind and to her right. She closed her eyes, reaching out with her senses and felt the liquid grace of a wolverine not five feet away. She smiled behind her gag.

Good gods, Em, you're in a freaking FOREST! She scolded herself. Get your head on straight!

Breathing as slow and easy as she could manage, she called to it, widening her influence in a steadily growing ring around herself. The wolverine crept up behind her, nosing at her hands, and she held them as far away from her body as she could, feeling the needle sharp teeth of the beast begin to snap the leather strand by strand. She fought to remain looking helpless, holding still and hoping the creature was shielded by her body. There were other critters out there; she could sense them clearly, and...The Lady of Luck be praised, a wolf pack within calling distance.

This just might be fun, Emily thought savagely.

Daegon and Mendel were close to the caves when Daeg felt the call and howled. Mendel stopped dead, staring at the wolf. Daegon gave him a big wolfie grin and tugged on the mage's sleeve with his teeth.

"Okay, okay," Mendel grumbled, snatching the material out of Daeg's mouth. "Quit slobbering on me. You seem to know something. Emily's near?"

Daegon nodded emphatically, trotting into the trees with Mendel on his heels. The mage brought several spells forward in his mind, prepared to cast whatever seemed most useful upon arrival. Emily must be alive, he reasoned. Daegon would smell death. And then he'd go insane.

He caught a glimpse of a campfire ahead. The giant wolf slowed down, chuffing at Mendel, who took the hint and matched Daegon's pace. The pair crept quietly forward, peering through thick undergrowth and tree branches. Mendel could smell burning wood now, and the sight that met his eyes almost made him lose his spells from sheer astonishment.

Emily stood in the middle of the camp, a huge wolf leaning his head on her hip, a wolverine at her feet. Six men, five scruffy warrior types and one dark mage, judging by their clothing, were sprawled around the clearing, each with a wolf sitting on their chest, teeth at their throat. All looked terrified. The wolves looked pleased. Emily was smiling, a sweetly terrifying expression, a kitten with all claws extended - backed by a cougar.

"Anyone want to tell me why I was kidnapped?" she asked generally.

Daegon bounded out of the bush and into the midst of the pack, whining happily. Emily threw her arms around him and beamed.

"Daeg, how did you find me!?" she was honestly astonished, and he was busy sniffing every inch for damage. Finding none, he put his paws on her shoulders and licked her cheek. "I'm so glad to see you! I got the pack to help me, you see, but no one will tell me why I was taken, and....well if I go, they'll follow, - the wolves, I mean - then they'll come after me - the kidnappers, I mean -, and I'll have to sic the wolves on them again...."

Mendel emerged from the woods, dusting off his robes, looking around at the captives with one brow raised. "Guess we missed the party," he said dryly.

"Oh, Mendel, thank you!" Emily beamed at him and threw her arms around him in a huge hug. He patted her back awkwardly and all but shoved her back at Daegon, looking mildly panicked. "I didn't know if anyone could follow. You must be really powerful."

"Er, yes," Mendel said, looking around. "Doesn't look like you needed me, though. Or Daegon."

"Sure I do," Emily assured them, smiling and not letting go of Daegon. "I haven't a clue where I am."

Mendel noticed the wolves hadn't moved an inch, even with a strange Alpha literally dropping into their midst. The control Emmy had over them was astounding, he realized, and his respect for her grew. This was not really magic, but it had the same resonance. He was suddenly quite glad she was on their side.

"Great North Woods," Mendel informed her quietly, seeing the swiftly hidden pain on her face. "The others should be here soon. If Daeg could kindly revert to human...." he nodded at the wolf who was practically purring as Emmy absently scratched behind his ears, "we can bind this rabble. Emmy, would you be so kind as to call your wolves off one at a time? I don't wish them to be inadvertently injured by my spell."

Daegon changed back to human, catching the pack Mendel mysteriously drew out of his robes and tossed at him. He swiftly dressed, kissing Emily soundly first, then helped Mendel secure the brigands. Despite casual comments and outright threats, none of them offered a reason that Emily had been taken. In fact, none of them spoke beyond a few grunts here and there as they were shoved none too gently about. Taris and the rest of the party arrived as they were tying thug number three to a tree. He and Glenna simultaneously hugged Emily, then checked her for damage, then hugged her again. To their shock, she looked around at her would-be rescuers and burst into tears. Daegon rushed to her side and she hurled herself into his arms.

"Em, honey, did they hurt you?" Daegon looked murderous, and Taris unconsciously put his hand on his sword.

"No," she sobbed. "Just some bumps and bruises, and m-my h-healing t-took c-care of that," she hiccoughed. "I d-don't kn-know w-why I'm c-crying."

"Shock," Glenna said matter-of-factly, patting Emily's arm. She looked around at the captured kidnappers curiously, then gasped. Dehn and Bran were finishing what Mendel and Daeg had started, and Glenn pointed to the one Dehn had by the hair. "Mordan, you son of a bitch!" she spat.

"You know these guys?" Bran and Daegon asked in the same breath.

"Not most of them. Just him," snarled Glenn, glaring at the man. "I should have known you'd turn rotten, you no-good turncoat! It was me you were trying to grab, wasn't it?"

The man in question merely looked at her and glared.

"Why would he want to kidnap you?" Bran demanded.

"No idea," Glenna answered, still looking daggers at Mordan. "Ask him."

"You must have some idea," Emmy observed, eyeing her cousin, tears forgotten.

"Logic," Glenna shrugged. "I'm the only one here that knows him."

"Fair point," Daegon agreed. He crouched by Mordan and met his gaze, smiling pleasantly. The expression did not reach his eyes. Mordan, perhaps thinking that he might have an ally, and certainly missing the carefully controlled rage from his captor, seemed to relax a fraction. The cold blue that met Daegon's deep brown looked wary, but less defeated. "What do you want with Emily?" he asked calmly.

Mordan said nothing, but the very blankness of his look told Daegon volumes. Emily and Glenna frowned, exchanging glances.

"It wasn't me he was after," Emily said as Glenna scowled deeper.

"Let me hit him," she growled, reaching for her flail.

"I have no problem with that," Bran said. Dehn and Fitz nodded. Mendel merely glanced up from his perusal of the captured wizard's pack and shrugged.

"Not yet," Daegon and Taris said in unison.

They glanced at each other and exchanged swift grim smiles before facing the rest of the group. Bran nodded reluctantly. Without further comment, Taris joined Daeg, squatting on his heels to study the brigand that had -- apparently mistakenly - stolen his sister. Glenna fingered her flail menacingly.

"Quite honestly, you're fucked, friend," Taris said without a trace of sympathy. "Your choice of dying easy, or hard. Talk, and we might make a deal."

"Speak for yourself," Glenna spat.

Emily grabbed her cousin by the arm and dragged her across the clearing. "You're not helping," she hissed.

"He'll never talk," Glenna assured Emily.

"Not for you," Emmy agreed. "But he might for Daegon."

"Why should he?" Glenna said with scorn.

"Ever been threatened by a werewolf?"

Glenn paused. "Okay, point for you. But Mordan's not a planner. He's working for someone else."

"Duh. Can you think of anyone you know that would want you dead?" Emily probed.

"Besides Mordan?" Glenna frowned, then swore viciously. "Son of a --"

"What?" Bran and the rest joined Emily and Glenna, leaving Daegon and Taris to their interrogation. Mendel continued looting the wizard's pack. The wolves ringed around them, alert and on guard.

"Cain," Glenna said simply, as if that meant something. All but Bran stared at her blankly.

"Fuck," he said.

"I found something," Mendel called, waving a half unrolled vellum scroll as he joined the group. "A scroll."

"Thank you, O Master of the Obvious," Dehn said acerbically. "What's next, an observation of forest and trees?"

Mendel gave him a cool look, merely raising a brow before continuing. "I wondered how a mage with no particular talent or skill -- and trust me, I've evaluated the magical strength of him - could teleport such a distance. He has several scrolls of a similar level in his pack. But he himself? Negligible ability. Competent, I think, but no real brilliance." The mage in question looked up and glared at Mendel, who ignored him. "He's either amassed a great deal of wealth, or stumbled on them by luck as he's neither old enough nor strong enough magically to have truly taken on a job that would pay well enough to acquire these," Mendel waved vaguely in the direction of the mage's gear.

"Or he stole them," Fizzy suggested helpfully.

"Another possibility, yes," Mendel said thoughtfully. "But I think not. There's another teleport scroll -- this one seems to be written to take the user to a specific spot, not just one of the caster's choosing. At least two very high level healing scrolls, and a resurrection scroll. As well as a few powerful combat scrolls. What does that all add up to?" He looked around, noting various levels of understanding among his friends. "This man had a sponsor. This was the planned kidnapping of an experienced adventurer, to be taken alive, any companions are expendable."

"That sounds like Cain," Glenna said soberly. "And he's a very powerful wizard. Plus, his most trusted associate is an equally powerful cleric. Rotten to the core, both of them."

"And you have something he wants," Mendel said gravely.

"But why send an incompetent to do his dirty work?" Bran asked reasonably. "Cain is powerful enough that kidnapping Glenn would have been a cakewalk."

"Gee, thanks," Glenn said wryly.

"Just what you've said about him," Bran defended himself.

"You're right," Glenn sighed. "I just don't want you to be."

"It was a snatch-and-grab," Fizzy pointed out. "Glenn physically isn't that strong, and caught by surprise she could easily enough be taken. And he had a whole mess of warrior types to subdue her on the other end. The boss man doesn't have to do the menial stuff."

"You all are just warming my heart," Glenn said sourly.

"Look at Emmy here," Bran said gently, drawing her to him. She was stiff in his arms at first, but relaxed slowly as he held her. "She's as powerful as you are, even more in a way, and warned to boot. And still they got her."

"Yeah, but they couldn't hold her," Glenn pointed out.

"Exactly. You'd have kicked their asses too," Bran said with confidence.

"Nah, probably not," Glenn smiled crookedly. "Em managed with her furry friends. I don't have that."

"Okay," Mendel broke in briskly. "We think we know who, and how. The big question is....why?"

Daegon spoke, having come up so quietly it made them all jump. "Leave that to me."

The wizard talked quickly; the mere threat of physical torture made him fold like a bad hand of cards. Unfortunately, he knew almost nothing, only that he had been instructed to grab the redheaded cleric that was part of an adventuring party that frequently stays at the Wolf's Den Inn, and her name was Glenna D'Urth. The only useful bit of information was to confirm that the mage who hired him was indeed Cain.

"Well, that explains the mix-up," Taris said, scowling. "Glenna's not quite red, but close enough. The idiot didn't confirm the name."

"Well, what's he going to say? Oops, sorry, take me to the one I'm supposed to kidnap?" Fitz grinned. "He doesn't want to be remembered."

They tied him securely to a tree, taking extra care to see that he could not move his hands or feet (Mendel helpfully pointing out that some mages, in an effort to thwart would be abductors, learned to cast using their feet in place of their hands. Emily suspected he was having a quiet joke on them all, but Bran decided not to chance it anyway) and securing a gag. Daegon picked a fighter at random and with Taris and Dehn's help, tied him to a large tree. Then he and Taris strung their bows, as the fighter watched with growing unease. With casual skill, Daegon sunk an arrow less than an inch from the man's neck.

1...456789