Mending the Rend Ch. 02

Story Info
He finds the house where love is built.
1.9k words
4.46
9.5k
2
0
Story does not have any tags

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 06/08/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

To the Alexandria Children's Orphan Asylum,

I am a young woman looking for three small children to raise and love. I understand that, as a single woman, you may have your doubts about my ability to care for three children, but I can assure you, I am quite capable. I own a farm just outside of Knightsville, and I have plenty of room to care for them. I also have a steady income from the livestock I sell every year. I grow a healthy crop of corn, and beans as well. They bring in enough to pay for the taxes and the small things that may come up.

These children are to be treated as my own, and I will raise them as upstanding citizens, and hard workers. Yes, they will work, but as I said they would be treated as children, and think they will be very happy with me. I am not a taskmaster, and as I had a very hard childhood, I understand that they need time to play, and explore. I will be their mother, of course protecting them with my very life, if necessary.

I do ask that you send me some information about the children, names, birth dates, and parental status. I need to know these things, in order to prepare myself for any sensitivity that the children may have. I also ask that you aid them in sending their own letters as well. I wish them to tell me whatever it is that they feel is appropriate. I thank you for your time and I will await to hear from you.

In all sincerity,

Amelia Anne Lynnstrom

*

Amelia sat outside the train station, anxiously awaiting the arrival of the three orphan children, their letters clutched in her gloved hand. She forced her body to be still, and refrained from squirming, but inside butterflies tickled her stomach. They were to arrive in no more than thirty minutes, and in the moment they did, she would become their mother, and soul caretaker. It was a scary thought. As a widowed eighteen year old, she was hardly a candidate for motherhood, but she was lonely on the farm, no company, not even a dog to comfort her broken heart. A tear formed on her lashes as she thought of her late husband. Ben, what a wonderful husband he had been to her. Never had they shared an argument, only love and happiness. Then, just as they were planning on children, he was gone. The river outside of the property had flooded. He wanted to check the traps any way. The muddy banks couldn't hold his weight, and before he could cry out, the river sucked him away. The search parties never found his body, but they did retrieve his worn work shirt, shredded, and bloody lying on some river rocks, twenty miles out of town. She still missed him, two years later, and some days she wondered if the pain would ever go away.

The train whistle blared, and shook her from her remembering. The huge engine chugged toward the station, belching thick clouds of black smoke into the air. As it pulled up she could see the faces of three small children pressed to the glass, and she waved and smiled. Relief flooded her. They were finally here, and they were safe. Now they were her children, and she was their mother. This was a time when they would need her more than ever.

The passengers began filing out of the train. Two well dressed women stepped delicately into the Knightsville soil, their noses twitching at the sight of well worn dresses, and shabby looking shawls. Compared to the two Alexandria women, the towns women looked worn and dirty. Amelia knew from experience that they were mail order brides. Ezekiel Lotol, and Todd Twinner had both written to the to Alexandrian newspaper, looking for young women to come and care for their children. She knew in time, these two city beauties would settle down, and loose their city refinery, or they would run back to their families. Either way they would be alright. She turned to see the children jumping to the ground. She smiled, her heart going out to them. Two little girls, and a boy. She knew one of the girls was Amanda, and the other was Emily. Twins, actually, with fire red hair and big blue eyes. There brother Colin was almost thirteen. At first Amelia thought not to take him, but when the girls letters came the both begged her to take him as well. Apparently they were very close.

She swallowed hard as the three approached her cautiously. Colin spoke first.

"Are you Amelia Lynnstrom?" His voice sounded confident, but she knew better. She reached out and offered her hand to him.

"Yes, you must be Colin, how nice to meet you." She was rewarded by a strong grip, and a relieved smile. Colin was going to be a great addition to the farm, and probably a wonderful son. Not only was he strong he was also very sweet.

Next came Emily, obviously the outgoing one of the twins. She tugged on Amelia's full skirts and gazed up at her with eyes wide, and smile flashing.

"Well hello missy, which little girl are you." She knelt so that she could look into the little face, slightly smudged with what looked to be chocolate cake, and train soot.

The blonde head tipped to the side, and she considered Amelia for nearly a full minute before answering

"I'm Emily, but if you want," She leaned in and whispered confidentially, "You can call me Emmy." She stared directly into Amelia's eyes, waiting for an answer, and found herself locked in a tight hug.

"Oh you little doll baby! I'll call you what ever you want."

Suddenly Amelia knew she was hooked. These were her children. They were hers to keep and raise. She turned to see Amanda, patiently sucking her thumb, and grasping the skirt of her dress in the other. It was obvious she was used to taking last place in the small group. But she smiled at Amelia, and slowly wrapped her thin arms around her new mothers neck. Though she was just as adorable as her sister, she was much to thin. But the farm supplied enough to feed all of Knightsville, and then some, and soon she would be filled out and healthy.

Before Amelia knew it they were home. The buggy ride had really been something. Both girls sat in the back, and despite her better judgment allowed them to hang their tiny booted feet over the edge, free to swing in with the swaying and gusty breeze. It was warm, and the sun was shining as if it had just been polished.

Colin wanted to see the animals, and he took the girls, and headed for the chicken coop, and the pasture with the horses in it. Amelia could see them, and by the ohhs, and ahh she was hearing, they'd never been this close to a real farm animal before. She chuckled into Ebony's glossy coat. Dear horse, maybe she would be the one to teach them to ride. The mare snorted as the harness was slipped from her sweaty back, and stomped away the flies. Looking gentle even then. Everything was looking up for Amelia, and someday, maybe when she didn't miss Ben so much, she get married again. Then they'd have a Pa, to teach them things like riding.

Carsh leaned over the saddle horn, fatigue and pain blurring his vision, and fogging his mind. The gray mare beneath him swayed unevenly, her body protesting every step.

"Come on girl just a little farther, I know you can do this." Carsh coaxed his dedicated mount, smiling when she nickered at him. "If I didn't know better I'd say you were ready for another twenty miles Lily."

Actually they were both ready to drop were they stood. Carsh hadn't dismounted in nearly two days. The hefty gold bars in his saddle bags were the purest he'd ever handled, a healthy bonus for any thieves in the area. All the more reason to push Lily to the next town where they could settle down for a few weeks and lock his latest salary in a bank.

Hours slipped by, miles and miles of heat soaked sand giving way to scrubby brush and swishing grasses. He kicked lily into a monotonous trot, hoping that she could handle the stain. He could smell water and they both needed the refreshment. Over the next hill the sweetest sight possible greeted them. A farm, several acres spread out, a blessed oasis, and the lush land snuggled around a wide river, hundreds of little black shadows indicating that the waters were teaming with fish.

"Lil' get your bony body down there." He gave the horse the reigns and sat back as she picked her way down the steep embankment.

At the bottom, Carsh was greeted by sweet sound of a little girls laughter, mixed with the terrified squawking of a hen. He grinned wide when a copper flash rushed by him, in pursuit of a golden shaded bird, running with every once of speed it had it its stubby little legs. The tiny red heads steps never faltered, but her piecing cry nearly spooked poor Lily.

"Mama! Mama! There's a stranger here, mama!"

Strange, he thought, normally a little girl would call for her papa. Curious, he dismounted. Maybe he could work for food and a nights stay in the barn before riding into town. The screen door opened as he walked up the steps, and he was greeted by the most beautiful girl he'd seen in years. Her eyes were wide set and large, inquisitive, and her mouth pouty and soft. Even the women in the saloons weren't that stunning, with all their face paint and flashy dresses.

"Can I help you, sir?" The voice came out dusky and smooth, like aged whiskey.

"Yes ma'am," He drawled. " I need water for the horse, and maybe some oats iffen you get 'em." He tipped his hat, hoping she would give him more than what he asked for, but he didn't want to impose. What if she didn't have enough to feed even her family. From what he was seeing there was no man around, and no gold band graced her third finger.

Well you look like you've been ridden for a while, and I got chores that need doin', so iffen you want you can stay the night, and in the morning help me with what needs doin'.

"Thank you ma'am but that wouldn't be imposin' now would it?" He wouldn't take the food from starving children's mouths.

"No I've got plenty to feed you, and the barn is warm. Besides tonight I'll sleep well knowing that I don't have to guard the chickens from coyotes." She grinned and turned into the house. "You can put your horse in the stall on the right. The other horses won't bother her there and she can get some shut eye." She eyes him through the mesh and he wondered what a beauty like her was doing out here single.

"Yes, thank ya ma'am." He tipped his hat and grinned, glad that he could at least spend this day and night in her company.