Minx Ep. 03: The Sphere, Cenozoic Zone

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Another look around revealed something curious. On one of the boulders below her were a number of her belongings, including her sword and laser pistol. They were arrayed very neatly, as if someone had examined each one and then carefully set it down for Minx to reclaim. The remains of her backpack were in the center, and everything else appeared to be set in circles around it.

She clambered down the rocks as carefully as she could and grabbed her pistol and sword. She considered what else she could carry now that her backpack was nearly destroyed. Then it occurred to her to make the material into a pouch. What little she had left went into the pouch.

"Who's there?" she called out. No-one answered, not even Ship.

"Dragon? Did you follow me in?" However it seemed very unlikely that he had, as Hephaestus would have suffered the same power loss as Ship. If he were inside this sphere how would Dragon hope to find her in this massive hollow world? But Ship did believe she'd been leaving a trail for him to follow, the brunette reminded herself.

"Well, whoever you are thank you for collecting my gear and leaving it here for me."

There was no answer. Minx assumed her benefactor was either very shy or had fled the area before she'd awoken.

"Ship?"

"Hisss...Minx?"

"Are you still resting, honey?"

"Yesssss..."

"Go back to sleep. I just wanted to make sure you were all right."

The bounty hunter continued on her way, although a little more slowly than before and with a slight limp.

XII

The flat, forested terrain slowly melted into stony hills with a sparser covering of trees, which in turn transformed into a drier and rocky landscape dotted with individual cacti and clumps of bushes, ferns, and grasses. Water sources became less and less common, and more easily identifiable by the presence of unusually thick clumps of vegetation. Minx didn't like the change in her surroundings, but she was confident that if a predator attacked her she'd have time to scale a bluff or perhaps a cactus. The scarcity of water also troubled her. Small clouds of sand and dust were puffed up with each footfall. Scorpions, snakes, spiders, lizards, and small running birds seemed to be the main inhabitants of the area she found herself in, although she had spotted deer and possibly primitive camels in the distance.

Sleeping was a problem. The spiky cacti were not suitable for her to rest in, and the bluffs were a little too exposed and often infested with scorpions and other creatures that she didn't want to share a bed with. She made do, sometimes waking several times during a sleep to brush away curious crawling critters, and then spending the next few minutes shivering in disgust before finally falling back to sleep. She knew they intended her no harm, as none of them had bitten her, but that didn't make any difference. She took to overextending her waking periods so that she would be exhausted when it came time to rest.

That was why she tripped over the antelope skull. The fall startled Minx. A glance toward her boot allowed her to identify what she had stumbled over, and another quick look around had let her know that there was no immediate danger nearby. She sat up, freed her foot, and then rubbed her ankle.

The skull was half-sticking out of the sand. She could see yellow-white bones scattered around her, the remains of the long-dead antelope. She thought it odd that the antelope had died at this spot as she'd refreshed herself at a watering hole a short distance away. Had it been diseased or fallen prey to a snake or scorpion, she wondered?

Minx stood and tucked a wayward strand of her brown hair behind her ear. Now she noticed that there were other bones about. A few metres in front of her were the remains of another antelope and beyond it a small horse. Behind her there were more. The ground was not littered with bones, but this was clearly an area where animals of nearly her size were dying.

The area looked peaceful, almost dead. She could see vultures or something very much like them flying in circles, high in the sky. It was almost as if they were waiting for something to happen to the bounty hunter. She fingered the pommel of her sword and the grip of her laser pistol. Whatever might be lying in wait for her, she said to herself, was in for a surprise.

A tired Minx rose to her feet and continued on, listening and watching for any sign of danger. One hundred metres from the spot where she had tripped she spied a track in the sand. It was five-toed and clawed, and much like a lizard's. There were more tracks nearby, and from the size she guessed that she had wandered into an area with dinosaurs.

"Ship," she whispered.

"Yes, boss."

"There's a dinosaur nearby. How best should I deal with it?" Minx kept a careful watch around her.

"Describe it."

Minx described the shape and size of the tracks, along with the description of an imprint of the tail. She estimated the size, and also described the bones she had found a short distance away.

"Are you sure it's a dinosaur, boss?"

"Giant lizard that eats other animals. Doesn't that just scream out dinosaur?"

"Crocodiles and komodo dragons both fit that criteria; they're not dinosaurs. So far you've described creatures from the Cenozoic Era and I don't think you have to leave that time period to find animals that fit the tracks you've seen. There were a number of giant lizards that roamed various locales on planet Earth, and any one of them could be here."

"So what should I do?"

"Aren't you the brains, boss?"

"Sorry! Now there's something like that around here so what should I do?"

"Stay away from slow-moving water in case it's a crocodile."

"Not a problem where I am now."

"And if it's one of those other creatures, then it probably prefers to attack from ambush and is not a very fast runner."

"Okay, thank you."

"Good luck, boss."

Minx moved on, very slowly, and making as little noise as possible. She managed to walk a kilometre before the sound of some falling rocks made her freeze in place. She listened and looked, but nothing else seemed to move. It seemed as if the noise had been some distance behind her. She guessed that the lizard could be trailing her, and decided to climb a nearby outcrop. It looked to have fairly steep sides, so it would offer protection from a large and ungainly beast.

She heard something hiss very close by and scrambled up the jumble of rocks at the bottom of the outcrop. A quick jump took her to a crevice that she was able to partially squeeze into. It opened wider as it rose, and the bounty hunter was confident that she could ascend to the top in a few seconds. Poking her head out, Minx took a look around. Along the base of the outcrop and to her left an enormous reptilian head poked out from what must have been an unseen cave. The bounty hunter scrambled up the crevice and the head turned to her, one eye fixed upon her.

The beast burst from the cave and, after planting its front limbs upon two large boulders, lifted itself up and lunged at her. Its mouth opened wide, wide enough to swallow Minx in one quick bite.

The bounty hunter cursed, and pushed away from the crevice and rock face. Falling, she landed upon a flat-topped rock and jumped to another further away from the carnivore. The beast scrambled over the pile of boulders after her, yellow and green saliva dripping from its jaws. Using her superior agility, Minx skipped from rock to rock, always keeping near the outcrop in case she needed to climb it. The lizard fell behind and slipped off the jumble of boulders and onto the sand. It whipped its tail back and forth in frustration.

Minx continued around the outcrop until she found an easy climb to the top, a series of small natural steps set on a shear face. Using her hands and feet, she clambered to temporary safety. The lizard eyed her angrily.

The bounty hunter didn't want to kill the beast needlessly, but it seemed likely that it would wait her out. She pulled her laser pistol from its holster.

The lizard paused, then backed down off the rocks. It looked to its right and left and then began circling the outcrop clockwise. It seemed to have lost interest in Minx, at least for the time being. Soon enough, it disappeared from view.

Although curiosity tempted her to cross the outcrop and see where it had gone, Minx decided to wait a little while and then descend and be on her way. A high-pitched squeal changed her mind. She raced across the relatively flat top of the outcrop to find the hungry saurian had cornered a half-spider, half-crab creature that was about the size of a large dog. The lizard was advancing slowly on its new prey. The armoured spider-thing waved its foremost legs at the lizard in a vain attempt to ward it off, as it backed into the cave that the lizard likely called home.

Minx made herself comfortable so as to watch the battle when she suddenly spied a small device in the arachnid's clawed pincers. It was holding her compass! The spider retreated into the cave and then let loose with another high-pitched squeal as its would-be devourer began to follow it in.

The bounty hunter was on her feet in less than a second. Her laser pistol was in her hand; she aimed and fired at the lizard's back without thinking. The beast retreated from the cave and looked about in a fury. It was not seriously hurt, unfortunately, but the laser had stung it. Minx fired again and again, trying to irritate the beast enough to make it move on. The reptile jumped and twisted around, trying to find the source of the pain without success.

Realizing that her plan was not working, Minx spotted a loose stone about the size of her head. She holstered her pistol, worked the stone out of the outcrop, lifted it over her head and cast it down upon her target. The small boulder struck it on the head, causing the beast to shudder and then look up. The bounty hunter watched as its two black eyes narrowed and focussed on her.

Minx drew her sword slowly while her heart raced. The lizard climbed, its claws scoring the stone. Knowing she had driven it into a mindless fury, the bounty hunter waited until it was within reach and then jabbed down with the point of her blade. The creature slipped and fell, then squirmed about and resumed its climb. As Minx prepared to jab at it again, the lizard lunged upwards, and she was forced to retreat across the top of the outcrop. This allowed the beast time to finish its climb, and Minx cursed herself for giving up her advantage so easily.

The lizard lunged for her, its jaws agape. Minx slashed it across the gums, immediately above the teeth on its upper jaw. It retreated, shaking its head violently and throwing sprays of blood everywhere. The gooey liquid splattered across Minx's face.

She darted forward with her sword before her. The lizard retreated a short distance. Its back end went over the edge, and talons scratched at rock until the beast was solidly atop the outcrop again. Then with a smile Minx struck again. She rushed forward, did a feint towards the beast's mouth, and then when it turned away its head she stabbed it in the eye.

She jumped away as the beast thrashed in agony. It squirmed and twisted, lashing out blindly with its claws and snapping its teeth on nothing but air. Minx debated her next action in a fraction of a second. She rushed forward again, slashed at the lizard's mouth and then, ignoring the spurt of blood across her chest, jumped high into the air. She soared over its head and landed squarely on the creature's back. Bending over while standing on the squirming lizard was no easy feat, but she did so and slashed across its spine with her blade, slicing through bone and flesh.

The reptile arched its back and its tail swung up and smacked Minx on the forehead. Dazed, she let herself fall onto the lizard's back. The creature slipped toward the edge of the outcrop and Minx ground her teeth at the sound of the claws on the stone. The bounty hunter plunged her blade through scales, muscles and bone, then again.

Suddenly, she was thrown from its back onto the hard rock. Minx eyes opened wide as she saw a clawed foot raised above her, and then it came down but not with full force. The lizard was slipping from the top of the outcrop. Its claws clenched, trying to grab some foothold that would prevent it from falling. Minx felt the talons sink into her skin as a claw slipped across her. Then the beast was over the side. There was a loud "thump" and then a high-pitched squeal.

The bounty hunter's eyes closed and then opened. The spider-thing was nearby. Its eight eyes seemed to reflect Minx's face. It's strange sideways mouth opened and closed quickly. The thing had armour on the top of its body segments and bristly hair upon the rest of it. The thought occurred to Minx that it was odd that this giant brown spider was about to eat her after she'd rescued it from the giant lizard. Then her eyes closed again.

XIII

The eight pirate ships had managed to completely surround the helpless custom-built cruiser with the malfunctioning engines. The crews of each raider eagerly hoped that their victim would put up a fight, not a good fight but just enough to show some resistance and make things interesting. The various captains awaited the order to attack from their commander aboard the King Midas.

Black Eye slouched in his command chair aboard his flagship and scrutinized the ship they'd found so easy to capture, too easy to capture. It had been limping along through the void, broadcasting without a care in the world. He imagined it was a private yacht, full of indulgent young people from wealthy families, all impatiently waiting on their inheritances.

"Check the scanners!" he yelled at his First Mate. She strutted over to the crewman who was watching the sensors and then leaned over him, letting her long red waves fall upon his shoulder. Involuntarily, the man's eyes drifted to the reflection of her cleavage for a dangerous second, and then back to the screens.

"It's all clear for light-years around us, Captain. She's all yours!" She turned and offered him a smile, a smile meant to remind him that she shared his bed in exchange for a large share of the loot.

"Henley! Broadcast on a narrow beam to each of our ships and this stranger." Black Eye fingered the brow above his eye socket that was filled with solid darkness. Something itched, and when his lost eye itched him there was trouble ahead. The crewman nodded to indicate communications had been set up.

"Greetings, Captain of the poor ship we've surrounded! This is Black Eye. No doubt you've heard of me. Well, prepare yourself for boarding. Anyone carrying any type of weapon will be cut down. All we want is your jewels, credits and valuables. If you behave yourselves we'll leave peacefully and you can be on your way. Answer!"

There were chuckles on the bridge. Black Eye winked at his First Mate, but she only raised an insolent eyebrow at him. He liked her spice, but at times he just wanted to break her once and for all.

"Well, hello there humans!" came the reply from the strange yacht.

"Humans?" echoed around the deck.

The Captain sat up. "Does it look like it could be an alien vessel of some type?"

"It's different, Captain, but it doesn't look particularly alien..." began a crewman.

"I would like to say," continued the voice, "that it is a pleasure to meet you, and I am particularly glad that I didn't have to wait too long for you to gather around me. I have a business proposition for some of you, but first..."

Seven violet rays projected from seven previously concealed gun-ports on the strange ship. Each ray struck a pirate vessel and cut through it. There was pandemonium on the bridge of the King Midas as Black Eye and his crew realized that the fleet had just been wiped out. He was engaged in ordering a retreat when the stranger's voice was heard again.

"I left your flagship unharmed as it looked to be the most powerful of your vessels, Black Eye. I'm guessing that you've not seen the like of the eighth ray before. I'm rather proud of it, but I honestly can't say it was my invention."

"He's playing with us," muttered the First Mate, impressed. Black Eye nodded dumbly. He didn't like the look in her blue eyes.

"To the crew of the King Midas I would like to offer some advice. Your Captain has obviously made a tactical blunder. He's unfit to lead you. I propose that you accept me as your new captain, after all I'm the one who's rendered him powerless."

Black Eye stood. He turned an angry eye upon his crew and then stomped over to the gunnery officer and stood behind him. The Captain nodded at the First Mate, and then whispered something to the gunnery officer.

"We're quite intrigued by your offer, but we don't know who we're dealing with." The First Mate had put every bit of charm and sensuality that she could muster into her tone.

"My name is, " he suddenly decided to go by the name that he'd first given Minx, "Dragon. I'm a hyperman. Yes, we do still exist. And, you're wasting time. If you take any aggressive action against my vessel then you're all dead. Keep an eye on Black Eye, young lady, being a dead man he won't see anything wrong about taking you with him."

A dozen eyes turned to the Captain. Four people on the bridge drew their weapons, including the First Mate.

"Now that you've probably prevented Black Eye from killing all of you I'd like to propose that he and I fight a duel. The winner is named Captain. I'll board the King Midas. If anything happens to me prior to the duel my vessel will attack yours. If you attack my vessel then it will strike back with all of its power. Do we have an arrangement?"

Black Eye stared at each face on his bridge. Everyone waited for him to agree, and there was nothing he could do but agree. Even against a hyperman he estimated that with all of his guile he stood a fifty-fifty chance in the duel. He turned an angry glare on the First Mate. She shrugged, but she looked too damned thoughtful for his liking.

"I'll do it!" he growled, staring at the First Mate. Black Eye wondered how many of his crew he'd have to torture and kill to re-assert control, after the hyperman was dead.

The mess hall was cleared of furniture, the crew lined the walls to watch, and the hyperman walked in. He was dressed in a single-piece uniform of black with silver trim, which fit his form tightly enough to make all the women smile. The sword and laser pistol at his belt made him look all the more like a rogue, despite the fact that he was otherwise clean and well-groomed. The First Mate almost swooned at her first sight of him, with his handsome face, dark hair, and eyes that took in everything around him. He seemed so superior, and it was clear that he was very comfortable with his arrogance. She glanced around at the other crew and found most of the other women were having a similar reaction, a small number of the men as well. For the first time she was jarred by the clash of clothing styles and dirty uniforms worn aboard the King Midas, and the First Mate wondered if that was because the hyperman seemed so - perfect.

"So, what is your choice of weapon Captain Black Eye?" asked the hyperman, after a small bow.

The First Mate had tilted her head a little and enjoyed exactly how form-fitting Dragon's uniform was as he bowed. She licked her lips, and then wondered why she was reacting as she was. She'd always used sex as a weapon against the weaker gender, and was surprised to find herself trying to catch the hyperman's eyes with her own.

"Blades," muttered the pirate captain.

The tall hyperman inclined his head to his opponent. With a grimace, Black Eye removed his weapon belt and dropped it to the floor. Dragon removed his holster and set it down in a very deliberate manner.