Miss Mannerly

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

In her bedroom, Marion does not bother to light her lamp, the space between the bottom of her door and the floor allows a small amount of light into her room. She is quickly undressed in the cold room and into her nightgown then into bed, knowing she will have a special invitation to read the next morning.

My dear Miss Marion Mannerly,

I feel as if you are already my friend. My brother, Richard, writes such complimentary things about the friendship you two share. I would consider it a particular honor if you would spend some time with me. I am a widow and have a comfortable home, where you will have your own private room. There are no children in my home so we will have very quiet days.

If you would like to arrive on or after the eighteenth, we will have a few days before Richard comes to town the twenty-second or twenty-third. He writes that he may be able to spend at least a week and perhaps as long as ten days with me this year, which will be a treat from his usual two or three days in the winter. If you have the time away from your position, you are welcome to stay for several weeks, or as long as you feel comfortable doing so.

You will find enclosed a separate paper with my name, address and the directions to my home.

I am sincerely yours,

Claire Robertson Alberts

By the time Marion finishes reading the letter from Richard's sister, she feels the warmth of the relationship of this brother and sister. Or, perhaps what she feels is the warmth she heard in his voice when he spoke the few words about her. She sits to write a polite acceptance to Mrs. Claire Alberts, and feels comfortable when she takes it to the post office.

Thursday night, Peter Adams stops by Henderson's Boarding House, to see if Miss Mannerly would like to join him and a few other people from town who are going to rehearse a few songs for a special Christmas Eve church Service. Marion apologizes, but she will be out of town for the holidays, visiting friends. If the same group considers a special music program for Easter, she would enjoy joining their group. She adds that, although she does not have a very good singing voice, she can read music and do a fair job of harmony for a strong female voice.

On a cold Sunday morning, Richard follows Marion out of church, as he and Mister Hanson discuss how the chess pieces are set up on the board. Outside the church, the three of them stand still for a short time, talking about the different moves each piece can make.

"Marion" Richard asks, "If I come by Mistress Henderson's boarding house after lunch, can you play chess with me, so Mister Hanson can watch?"

Marion nods, "Yes, I suppose I can." She turns to Mister Hanson, "You will not feel too badly that I am such a poor player, will you?"

"Oh no", the man says, "I may be one of the few citizens who will have the opportunity to see Dick win a game of chess." He chuckles as he walks away, telling his wife that he is finally going to see the sheriff win a game of chess.

Mistress Henderson walks up to Marion and links her arm through the younger woman's, but speaks to the man, "Sheriff Robertson, as you are going to take Marion for a chess game, why don't you come home with us to eat. It will mean you need not be out in the cold so much today."

"Thank you, Mistress Henderson. I would be foolish to pass up an opportunity to enjoy one of your meals. May I see you two ladies home?"

Marion watches as Richard enjoys his meal, listening to the other boarders far more than he speaks to them. If he asks a question, he uses simple words and gives short answers, usually asking a question to keep the other people at the table engaged in the conversation. When the meal is over, Marion helps Mistress Henderson clear the table, while Richard sits in the kitchen with a second piece of her dried apple pie.

"Miss Marion, I fear I will be a very poor opponent this afternoon" he complains. "That is your intent in offering me a second slice of this delicious pie, was it not?"

Marion laughs and says, "Perhaps you should try it with Mister Chin. Although I fear he may not enjoy a sweet dessert with his beer."

"Now see how smart this teacher is?" he asks Mistress Henderson. "I would not have thought about feeding that Chin. Mistress Henderson, what should I offer him, to draw his attention away from the game?"

Mistress Henderson, stopped by Richard when she tries to give him another slice of pie, says, "You could ask Bobby for a basket of those roasted peanuts that my husband always said spoiled his supper, when he stopped for a mug of Bobby's beer. The peanuts seem to create quite a thirst. Perhaps you can divert his attention. From what I hear, you will not beat his skill." She laughs her booming laugh and Richard shrugs his shoulders, knowing what she says, is true.

As they walk to the sheriff's office, stopping along the way to tell Mister Hanson to join them, Richard suggests that perhaps they should only play one game. It is already growing late in the day and darkness comes early. The air is cold, causing their breaths to form small clouds of steam when they exhale.

"I wish", Richard begins to speak, and he stops for a moment, concerned that he is speaking too loudly. He lowers his voice and says, "I would like to stop and pull your cloak closer about you, to enclose you in warmth. Do you think Mister Hanson will ever learn to play chess?"

Marion replies, "Mister Chin believes he will never learn. Somehow, I trust Mister Chin's judgment", as she looks down at her feet, seeing last night's snow and the much smaller marks her feet make from those beside her own. She suddenly feels very small walking beside this tall, older man. It is a comfortable feeling, but is not something she could share with him. Their conversations are limited to a few careful subjects, fearing they might be overheard and misunderstood. The few very quiet talks they have, after dark, when he walks her home, while the lantern spreads a spotlight about them, enhance the feeling that she is watched.

Several days before her trip she goes to the bank to withdraw some money and says she is going to visit friends over the holidays and may be gone for as long as a month. She also says that, if she can find them, she would like to purchase a few books for the school, but is not sure what the town can afford to spend. The banker thinks the idea is a good one, and on his own, gives her ten dollars, hoping she will use it wisely. If he has the opportunity to speak to any of the other members of the town council he will give her more money, as soon as they authorize the expense.

The Judge comes by Henderson's Boarding House and gives her ten dollars more, saying the town council authorized the expense of five dollars and he is giving her five dollars of his own money. He launches into a description of the difficulty he is having with his attempts to get the town council to pass a law that all children under the age of twelve attend school for at least one of the three month terms, each year.

The day before she leaves, Marian purchases her train ticket, asking how long it takes to get to the capitol and is told the train will stop, here in town, between ten and eleven in the morning and she should arrive, at her destination, before four in the afternoon. The ticket agent tells her that, of course, those times are estimates and it might be safer for her to be at the station by nine in the morning and not feel too disappointed if it is six before she reaches the capitol. Then he asks her the reason for her trip, so once again, she explains it is to visit friends for the holidays and purchase books for the school. If she cannot find what she wants in the capitol she may go as far as the capitol of the adjoining state, or perhaps she will need to order what she wants.

The next morning, when Marion arrives at the station, the ticket agent greets her and says, "I understand Dick Robertson is going to spend a week in the capitol later this month. Perhaps you will see him there."

Marion laughs lightly, "Oh, I doubt that, the capitol is a very large city and my friends live outside of town on a farm, or rather a small ranch. I doubt that I will go to town more than one single time while I am there. The only time I will be in town is when I go to a book store and I don't think Sheriff Robertson spends his time is places of that sort."

"Oh, I thought you were going to stay in the city. Well, anyway, Mary Ann, have a nice holiday."

"Why, thank you, and you have a wonderful holiday, too."

When the train arrives, she is just climbing the steps when Richard arrives and asks if it is too late to get a letter into the mail. He needs to respond to a letter he received and wants to make sure the writer receives a response as quickly as possible. Then he asks the ticket agent, "Did I see Miss Mannerly getting on the train?"

"Why yes" he says, "she is spending her holidays with a friend who owns a ranch outside of town, near the capitol. When are you going to the capitol for your vacation?"

Marion listens as Richard says, "If the snows aren't too bad, I may go a day or so before Christmas. I haven't decided yet."

Marion removes a small book of poetry from her handbag and opens it, but turns her attention to the windows. The sun is shining as the day progresses and she watches the moving scenery, seeing an occasional wild animal, tracks through the snow and mile after mile of whiteness that seems unbroken, except for a line of trees in the distance and they, too, are covered with white as if they are a group of umbrellas shielding their autumn leaves from being covered and forgotten.

The train only has a few riders and has made only an occasional stop. In early afternoon, she puts her cold feet on the other end of the seat where she sits, covers them with her cloak and naps for a little while, enjoying the clicking sound of the train's wheels going to the capitol, a chance for her to meet Richard's sister, and spend more than five minutes at one time, talking to him. The occasional stops are more frequent the nearer the train gets to the largest city in the state and her nap is interrupted until she abandons trying to sleep, but does not pick up her book. Instead she watches as the signs of civilization increase and before five in the evening, the train is pulling into the station as the conductor tells her they have reached her destination.

A gentleman steps off the train ahead of her and turns to help her down the steps. He carries her bag to one of several waiting buggies and she thanks him. He asks if she needs help reaching her home and she says she will be fine and thanks him, again, for his help. She gives the driver the general address written on the paper with Claire's name on it and as they get near Claire's home, she gives him more specific information.

When the buggy pulls into the long circular drive, Marion fears she may be at the wrong address, but leaves the buggy to knock at the door. It is opened by a man dressed in a somber suit. When he asks her name, and she responds, he says she is expected, and then goes to get her bag. She follows him up a wide graceful stairway and a few steps down a hallway with at least six doors. He stops before a door and tells her she will be in the room immediately across the hall. He will put her bag in there for her and send someone up to build her fire. Then he knocks on the door in front of them and when told to come in, he holds the door open for Marion and closes it after her.

A young woman gives her a curtsy and opens a door on the side wall and Marion hears her name from inside the room. "Tilly is that Marion? Tell her to come in here." When Marion walks into the bedroom she sees a fairly young, very frail looking woman in bed. "Oh, you just have to be Marion. Richard wrote me that you are as beautiful outside as you are inside. Please, come a little closer, so I can see you better and I will explain my infirmity."

Marion walks to the bed and offers her hand, and gently shakes the one given in return. "Yes, I am Marion. Richard did not tell me anything about you, so you will have to tell me what you want me to know."

"Oh, that was secretive of him to do that to us. But, it is so like Richard that I am not surprised. Take off your cloak and have a seat and I shall have Tilly bring us some tea. Would you like some hot tea after your cold ride?'

"Yes, I would and I think I agree with you about Richard. He would do this, just so neither of us could form an opinion until we are face to face."

All the time Marion is talking, Claire is nodding, "Now I see why Richard likes you so much. I do believe, for perhaps the first time in his life, he has found someone who understands him."

"Claire ... I may call you Claire?' At her nod, Marion continues, "I'm not so sure that I understand him, he says we are friends because I listen. I am sure there is more to it than that, but I don't know what that more could be. I am working at trying to understand him, but he is such a complicated person, sometimes I believe I have scratched the surface and at other times he is so different from what I thought I understood, that I wonder if I understand anything, yet."

"And a better explanation, I could not have given and I have known him all his life. You see, I am three years older than he is and he has always been my little brother, until finally one day I realized he had taken over and I did not know when I allowed it, or even if I did. But, enough about that inexplicable man, tell me about you."

For the next hour or so, the two talk and drink hot spiced tea, and before that time is finished, they are completing each other's sentences or nodding after the first few words of the next. Claire is fascinated at the politics and inquisitiveness of the small town and Marion learns of the death of Claire's husband, when he had a terrible fall from a railroad trestle and her fall from a horse, which crippled her, all happening within months of each other.

Claire sends Marion to her room to unpack and says if she doesn't mind, they will have supper upstairs, instead of her being taken downstairs to a cold empty dining room. In her room, Marion discovers her clothes have already been hung and she has nothing to do, so she looks around the comfortably furnished room, sits in the chair before a warm fire and admits that she has enjoyed the last hour or so more than she has ever enjoyed being with a woman before.

A short while later, the man in the suit knocks on her door and says his name is Ted Branson and he has been instructed to show her around the house and see that she has everything she needs. He suggests she bring something warm as many of the rooms are not heated in the winter. As they go through the house, he explains that he was the personal secretary for Claire's husband, Herbert, and was convinced, without too much persuasion, to stay with Claire when Herbert was killed. He shows Marion through Herbert's study and tells her to help herself to books, pen and paper and make herself as at home as if the rooms are her own. If she will let him know in advance, he will see a fire is prepared and the room warmed before she uses it. Claire would wish it so.

He takes her upstairs and explains the rooms up there, including which room Richard uses when he comes to visit, but does not open the door. Then he leaves her with Claire. They have a comfortable supper and laugh at things they can both relate to about the way some women are treated, cosseted or spoiled and how others are ignored. Claire has lived in the capitol for many years and was familiar with many of the politicians who often came to dinner parties in this house, and although she is still called on by a few of their wives, she has been bedridden for a little over three years and many of the politicians have moved on, so her circle of friends is growing smaller.

Very soon after they finish their meal, Marion can see Claire is growing tired so she says good night and goes to her room. After a few minutes she goes downstairs and finds Ted in Herbert's study with a fire filling the room with warmth. He in sitting in a soft, leather chair, before the fire, with his feet on a matching hassock, and offers her their twins a few feet away. They talk a little and just sit in the comfort of the room until Ted begins to talk about Claire. He worries that her health is not good and she seems to be declining. He worries that she still grieves for Herbert and can think of nothing to do to take away that pain.

Marion looks at Ted and says, "You love her, don't you?" At first Ted has a look of fright on his face, but soon nods and asks that she not say anything to Claire or Richard. Without giving much thought to her question, she asks, "Have you told her?" Ted shakes his head and says that he would not be so presumptions as to do such a thing. Marion suggests that perhaps Claire knows and fears he will leave, if she allows him to be aware of her knowledge. Ted laughs and says he thinks she may know it, but she would never consider giving her love to him in return. Marion cannot resist, "You know the first time I had a real conversation with Richard he said something to me that I have never forgotten. He said, that he is a simple man, not always the best man he can be, but he is a man. He used the term, "a simple human person of the male species." He went on to tell me that I am a woman and there is a great difference between a man and a woman. What he offered me was his trust and asked for mine in return. Perhaps you could give Claire a little trust and she will return to you, some of her own."

Ted stares at the fire for a while, with thoughts going through his head. After a few minutes he says he must go see that Claire is comfortable for the night. He wishes Marion a good night and then tells her to let someone know when she goes to bed so the fire can be cared for.

It is four days later, a short time after Marion and Clare have had their supper, when Richard arrives. When he knocks on the door and walks in, Marion is so happy to see him she stands and watches as he walks to the bed, sits and pulls his sister up from her usual half-reclining position to give her a gentle hug and kisses her on both cheeks. He stands and walks to Marion and asks if he might have the same liberty and hugs her. He feels wonderful and she feels tears swell in her eyes. After a few minutes she leaves the brother and sister, giving them some private time together, to go downstairs to the study, not caring that the room might be cold. She finds Ted there and looks for a book to read.

Without knowing when or why she went to sleep, she is awakened when Richard is removing her shoes and he sits on the hassock and begins to rub her feet. "You looked so peaceful there and I did not want to disturb you, but I have missed you and wanted to tell you so. I think this room is the most comfortable room I have ever spent time in. There is something about the books, the rug or maybe it's these two chairs. But I feel a peace in the room that is beyond my understanding."

Marion agrees, "Yes, I have come to enjoy this room and feel very protected, here." She stops for a moment to see him looking down at her feet as he rubs the ball of one foot, when he looks up again, she asks, "Richard, why do you do it? I mean, why do you begin to tell me something that you feel is important or personal, and then you speak of another subject completely different?"

He looks off into another part of the room and answers, "Oh, I suppose it is because I still have some fear of you."

Marion cannot keep all of the surprise from her voice, "But you told me once that you are a man and you fear no one."

"Yes, Marion, I remember saying that. I also recall telling you that I wanted to speak my heart, my deepest feelings and I wanted you to do the same to me. I'm not sure I can fully explain it, but if you will hear me out, I will try. I think men hide their emotions, because they are taught that it is not manly to cry or be too demonstrative. Women on the other hand have none of those restrictions. I saw the tears in your eyes when I hugged you and wished I could show you my own. I felt such pleasure at seeing you, again. But I did not, and that is one of the walls that people build before themselves. I have some walls, and no matter how hard I try to tear them down, I am only removing them one brick at a time. I believe you have some walls, too. I am working as hard as I can to tear down your walls too, and I sometimes feel you resist me."