Mistake of a Lifetime

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He was, and he gathered a plate quickly. As he ate at the island, Cat came in and made a cup of coffee. "I didn't cook it this time. The maid is somewhere."

"I'm just happy to not have to cook for myself."

Rachel smiled. "That has never changed through the years, either. The way to a man's heart is through his stomach."

Her eyes sparkled at him and he dropped his gaze back to his plate, slightly confused. Does she want to get to my heart? Like, for love, or is it some weird, kinky heart eating thing? He was pulled from his musings by Rachel's reluctant voice.

"I don't have any news on Katie, Kimber. I'm sorry. My people will be in town this evening, and once they land we'll be clear to act."

The delicious food turned to thick paste suddenly and he struggled to swallow his mouthful. He took a sip of coffee then nodded. "Uh, yeah. Alright. Keep me posted, I guess."

Rachel's face was unreadable and she patted his shoulder before returning to the couch. "We'll get her, Kimber."

He wished he could share her optimism, but life had taught him to expect the worst and prepare for nothing positive, ever. Setting low standards was the only way he knew to survive. He finished his meal in silence before dumping the dishes in the sink as before, then padded over to the overstuffed chair beside Rachel.

"So what are your plans today?"

Kimber had just got settled when Rachel questioned him and he shrugged. "I'm not sure. I was trying to figure out how to head into town and hit the gym. A savage workout would do me some good."

He didn't trust the sudden gleam in her eyes as she nodded intently. "I have a gym downstairs and was thinking about that myself. Come on, we can go train together."

He eyed her incredulously. "In theory, sure."

She grinned. "I'll hold back."

"What if I don't want to hit a woman?"

She sighed. "Then we'll just work on reflexes. You're assuming you'll hit me though." Her cell phone buzzed in her pocket and she pulled it out then grimaced. "I have to take this. It's not Katie related, so go ahead and head downstairs. I'll be down eventually."

Kimber watched her disappear into the office with deeply conflicted emotions, then moved toward the direction she had gestured. He moved down the hallway to long staircase that took him a decent depth underground. Idly he wondered why a vampire would need something like this, then he decided he didn't want to know.

The gym was well appointed and he was impressed with the quality of the equipment. One wall was completely mirrored and it made the space feel less claustrophobic. He studied the machines available to him before moving into his usual routine.

It was a long while before Rachel appeared. Her mane was pulled back into a clean braid and she had a thoughtful look on her face. Kimber wiped sweat from his arms and face before he faced her and he paused at the penetrating look in her eyes.

"What's wrong?"

The look disappeared instantly and she smiled. "Nothing at all. I see you found the gym and availed yourself of the equipment."

Kimber spared a glance at his sweat soaked clothing and felt a blush creep across his cheeks. "Yeah. Had a lot to work out today." He gestured across the gym. "Why do you, a vampire, have a gym like this? You don't need it to be strong."

She smiled slightly. "No, I don't. It was here when I bought the house." She was lying, of course. She'd had everything installed for the dual purposes of appearing normal as well as simply having something to do in the big, empty house. She held her breath as he studied her face for a moment before accepting the explanation with a shrug. Rachel exhaled silently and went over to the open, padded space before turning back to him.

"Come at me."

He shook his head, the tiny bun of his hair at the back of his head bouncing slightly. "I don't think so. I told you upstairs there's no way I'm doing this."

She grinned. "I know and I still reject that answer. You're assuming you'll hit me, and I'm not going to let you. I just want to work on your already impressive skills and reflexes."

Kimber eyed her warily. "I hit you last night."

She shrugged. "I wasn't trying that hard. Now I know what you're capable of, so I'm more prepared. Come on."

Memories of past hits flashed in his mind and he shook his head, as much to clear them as to indicate his continuing refusal. "I highly doubt you know what I can do. This isn't necessary. As soon as I get my sister free, I'll be out of your life so it's not like we can build on those skills."

He swore he saw a flash of something in her eyes, but it came and went so quickly he wasn't sure. Regardless, her smile remained in place and she moved to a chest along the far wall. She turned back to him with punch mitts over her hands.

"I'll use protection. Come on."

He gritted his teeth. "No."

Swiftly, before he knew it, she threw one of the mitts at him and hit him squarely in the chest. He flinched, his eyes growing wide, and rubbed the spot. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

She grinned at him, green eyes sparkling with amusement. "I don't take no for an answer. Trust me. Look." She turned around, facing away and looked back over her shoulder at him. "Throw the mitt back, and if I catch it, you have to try me. If I don't, you were right, and I'll let it go."

Kimber looked down at the mitt on the floor, and slowly he bent to retrieve it. He had been a local legend as a kid, both in baseball as a pitcher and in football as a quarterback. Those skills had not been lost over the years, and he knew he still threw with scary accuracy and force. He tossed the mitt from hand to hand before sighing. "Fine."

Rachel grinned wider and turned away, her form relaxed and casual. He fidgeted for a moment before he took aim at a spot well over her head and to the right, then gripped the mitt carefully. He balanced it in his hand, then launched it hard at the spot.

She sprang up, easily, snatching the mitt from the air and spinning to land facing him. Her grin was smug and she coughed to cover a giggle at the awestruck expression on his face. He sputtered uselessly.

"What? How? You cheated!"

She laughed and shook her head before tossing the mitts aside. "Don't be a sore loser. I didn't cheat, I heard you throw it and I assumed you'd throw it over my head, and after that point it was just about seeing it. I'm a vampire, my reflexes and abilities are faster and stronger and more balanced than any human."

Kimber glared as he moved to stand on the mat before her. "You keep saying that, and I distinctly remember shooting you last night."

She shrugged and studied him with a bland expression. "You got lucky. I was distracted. I'm not now." She flexed back into an easy stance, her hands up and relaxed. "Now come on, take a swing."

His discomfort was obvious, but he eased into a textbook fighting stance before springing forward. His right hook caught air and he caught himself before pausing, never losing his stance. She was blatantly pleased and nodded sagely.

"That was good! Keep them coming. Don't stop until I make you."

He buried the last bit of reluctance and launched himself at her, throwing fists in a rapid flurry. She dodged, ducked and darted away, and after a few shots he felt her smacking his hands away. He changed it up and dipped closer, within range for a knee and she maneuvered away easily. The fighter in him both enjoyed and was infuriated at her skills. He was glad to have this challenge before him, improving his abilities, and to be missing so that he wasn't hitting her. He hated how easily she avoided him though and it made him move faster and adapt his movements to counter hers.

He escalated to a kick, and he felt the brush of her hair against his foot before he was rudely taken off his feet and landed flat on his back with a grunt. She was on top of him, her eyes glowing into his with her hands wrapped around his wrists at his sides. Her small fingers were wrapped around the bones, at the pressure points, and any movement from him brought sharp pain. He could only blink up at her.

"So that's a stop?" He quipped and she grinned.

"It is." She released his wrists and sat up, her thighs wrapped around his hips. Her weight settled comfortably against him and almost instantly Kimber was distracted by his loins swelling in response. Reflexively his hands went to her hips and he only barely managed to resist the urge to grind her against him. His eyes flickered to hers and saw the emerald depths darkening and she licked her lips.

Oh wow. The temptation was powerful within Rachel to strip his clothes off and have mad, crazy sex right on floor. It was especially strong since they'd been sparring and he was sweaty. His natural scent teased her body ruthlessly and her insides tingled and clenched. His hands at her hips didn't help, and she shuddered before leaning down and kissing him.

Her mouth was like heaven, Kimber decided. He wanted to lose himself in it, dive in and never come up, and as the kiss deepened his hands roamed over her sides. She whimpered against his mouth and stretched out over his body, her hips beginning to move restlessly against his. The friction was breathtaking and he growled in his throat. Urges and cravings hit him forcefully and suddenly he needed her wrapped around him again.

Rachel felt his desperation and need instantly and it made her more primal side claw to the surface. She bit his lip, managing to be gentle, before lifting up to snatch her shirt off. He came with her and buried his face against her chest. His hands disappeared under the waistband of her leggings and cupped her bottom, pressing her against him and she cried out. Absently she tugged his tank over his head and she saw a glimpse of his eyes as he leaned away for her access. They were a more startling blue than ever, and his single-minded intent was clear.

The fact that he wanted her as much as she wanted him lit the gunpowder of her passion and her fangs snapped into place painfully. She was just reaching for his pants to slip them off when the phone rang in the tiny office just off of the gym. The ringing was a frosty bath on their hormones and they simultaneously responded in frustration. Rachel's gaze snapped to Kimber's face and his irritation almost made her smile.

"I have to get that." Her voice was breathless and wispy and he nodded, swallowing hard.

"Yeah." His hands slid from her clothing and released her, and she fought the sluggishness from her limbs as she scrambled for the phone. The lust in his voice had struck a chord in her and she was mightily distracted.

The caller ID showed only zeroes, and she cursed as she snatched up the phone. "What?"

"We know where the girl is."

Rachel sat down suddenly, nodding uselessly. "Where?"

"In Mauricio's motel he uses as a brothel. Just saw a guy go into a room with her, had a paper bag in his hand."

Oh no. "Any idea of the contents?"

The speaker on the other line cleared his throat. "We assume supplies of some sort. He didn't look like he was there to kill her."

His meaning sank in and she felt a knot form in her stomach. "Drugs, then."

"They both appeared to be very strung out. It was the end of her shift on the street, so, makes sense."

Rachel nodded, rubbing a suddenly aching throat. "Send me the address, a text to my cell." Her mouth was dry and she struggled to swallow.

The speaker grunted affirmatively and hung up, and she returned the phone to the cradle. She knew Kimber was behind her, watching her every movement and she willed strength into her being.

"Who was that?"

His voice was quiet, with an ache that broke Rachel's heart and she stood to face him. He'd put his shirt back on, and she watched the muscles of his shoulders and chest ripple as he flexed nervously.

"That was my contact. We know where Katie is."

He saw the look on her face and a frosty rage descended across his gaze. "Mauricio's shithole, either with a john or her dealer."

Rachel could only nod jerkily and Kimber studied her face before responding. "Well." He paused and swallowed hard. "You said he'd already put her into rotation. I know where it is, the text isn't necessary. When do we go?"

"As soon as my men are in place. We'll duck in, snatch your sister, then go pull Mauricio out of his burrow. They'll be landing around nine tonight."

Kimber's eyes were icy and emotionless, and only the set of his jaw told her how much he was struggling. He turned away in silence and she heard him pad upstairs silently. A strange, empty feeling filled her and she stared at the empty space.

She hated herself for caring, for reawakening all the feelings she'd decided to bury so long ago, for picking him as the guy to feel for. Sure, the hardest part was out of the way, he knew she was a vamp. But there was so little for them to build on, and he was making it clear that he had a focus. When they pulled his sister out, he would be impossibly distracted and there would be no point in Rachel hanging around. All the same, she wanted to, and it infuriated the independent woman inside of her.

Look, just because he bested you doesn't mean you have to love him. She hated that whisper, too. Maybe it wasn't the best reason to be attracted to someone, but it was something she enjoyed all the same, and surely there were worse reasons. It's also not the only reason. He's gorgeous, sweet, loving. And he barely batted an eye at the vampire thing. That counts for something, right? She sighed and sagged against her chair. Someday I'll learn, or maybe I won't.

When she finally trudged upstairs, she heard the trickle of her shower running in the master bathroom. Her mind filled with images of water trailing over his nude, sculpted body and she shivered with sudden lust. She felt guilty, because he was so stressed by his sister's captivity and here she was thinking dirty thoughts. Then she shoved the guilt aside and decided to take advantage however she could. She was a vampire, afterall.

She froze when Kimber finally came into view. He was sitting on the floor of the shower, the water pouring over his body and turning his hair coppery. He had his big legs drawn up and his head was resting on his arms braced across those beefy knees. Her heart fell as she saw his back heave and she knew he was crying. Quickly she stripped and moved to him, the roaring sound of the shower drowning out any noise her movements would have made.

He twitched when the shower door opened, but didn't move, and she knelt behind him. Her hands touched his shoulders timidly at first, and then when he sighed she slid her arms against his and hugged his shoulder. She joined him on the floor, sliding her legs around his hips and pressing against his back, and held him in silence.

"You know, for a vampire, you're kind of nice."

Rachel smiled at the back of his head, which was still resting against his arm. "I told you last night, this is my good deed for the decade."

He lifted his head finally and let the spray hit him full in the face before moving to the side. His eyes were ever so faintly red rimmed and he sniffled lightly, but otherwise he had his emotions under control. It was admirable how well he managed it, and she watched him with a gentle smile.

"This marble floor is uncomfortable. Here." He rose to his feet lithely before reaching down for her. Not that she needed his help, but she took his hands and let him lift her up. He didn't immediately let go, and as she looked into his eyes she felt the earlier fire in her stomach light again.

Kimber stared hard at Rachel, his passion rippling through his veins. He felt mildly exposed, what with her seeing him crying in the shower, and most of his control had been tied up in not continuing to cry his eyes out. So when he looked down and saw her beautiful face peering at him, with her luscious breasts just beyond, he knew he was lost.

"Thank you." His hands came to cup her face gently and she smiled.

"For?" She could feel his fingers trembling and it mystified her.

"For giving me a momentary reprieve from my life. For showing me it's possible to not always be miserable."

She would have refuted his comments, but he dipped his head and kissed her. It was soft and kind at first, but as her mouth opened to his he shuddered and suddenly she was snatched off of her feet. He swung her up, against him, and backed her against the wall, his hands going immediately to her buttocks and squeezing. It was instinctive to wrap her thighs around his hips, and as she did Rachel felt his manhood growing and it made her growl.

His hands roamed over her body and his mouth feasted at her breasts and nipples and she arched off of the wall against him. She was overwhelmed at the force he displayed and the strength of her desire and she knew she was open to whatever he did. His fingers slid between them, between her soft folds and delved deeply inside her. She gasped, her insides clenching, then his thumb pressed on her clit and she exploded.

Her hands fumbled at his shoulders and she knew her nails were marking him again and she couldn't care. The orgasm he spurred her to, with his gently wiggling thumb and curving fingers made her body tingle as if she were newly born and it shattered the persona she'd built.

"Please, Kimber." She begged, writhing against him. "Please, I need you inside me." She knew she was begging and didn't care what her pride would have said. He looked up at her, his eyes dark with lust, and held her gaze as he twitched his hips and the head nuzzled at her opening. She whimpered desperately and he smiled before slowly pushing inside.

It felt better than the night before, that filling, full, overstuffed sensation, and she struggled against the urge to cry in happiness and relief. One of his hands cupped her cheek, his thumb brushing over her lips, and he kissed her lightly, sipping at her mouth like a fine wine. He shuddered as he bottomed out completely inside her and she gasped, and he took the opportunity to slide his tongue against hers.

The water made everything slippery, and the wondrous sensations of her soft skin against his hard muscles encouraged them both. Kimber began slow, deep thrusts, leaving her panting between movements until she trembled and came again. Then he increased the power of his hips, bracing against the wall and the floor, and her arms came around his neck. She bucked against his big body driving her against the wall, and he growled softly in approval. He felt her insides clench around him again and lost control, pounding her roughly before finding his own satisfaction deep inside her. He liked how she smiled slightly and twitched her hips to heighten his pleasure, and he kissed her again.

Rachel was glorying in the post-coital glow when she spied the damage she'd done to his skin. "Oh, Kimber, I'm sorry."

He glanced at one battle-scarred shoulder and shrugged, stopping her when she dipped her head towards the wounds. "Don't worry about it. Leave them there."

She froze, her eyes flickering to his. "Come again?"

He smiled savagely and ducked his head to hers. "I want to. But the scratches are fine. Leave me with something to remember you by."

She was speechless, and he kissed her hard before letting her legs slide down his body. Once she was firmly on the floor, he turned away and stood back under the spray. She stared hard at his firmly muscled back until she decided to stop analyzing his words, then joined him.

They washed, dried and dressed quietly. Rachel waited until he had tugged his shirt over his head to break the silence. "Do you have everything you need for tonight?"