Mistakes Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Or maybe she'd make it out like Leann Rimes. "We were in love and his marriage was just a technicality restricting our true feelings." Nia held back a laugh at the absurdity of it all. Her crazy stupid life with a baby. It would be so much easier with Harrison. She wouldn't worry or be scared because he'd be right there. Nia blew out a breath. She wanted to know where he was. What he was doing? What he was thinking?

"We're here." Jase announced and Nia sat up.

"Is here a parking garage because if so you must be one creative guy to make it fun."

Jase laughed and it was nice to hear. "No not that much. We're at the FedEx Forum."

"The FedEx Forum huh?" He nodded, got out of the car, made the walk around, and opened her door. He took her hand and she thanked him.

"I guess the ride gave someone manners." Nia joked.

"Hey I'm just a white boy trying to get it together." He said in a mocking tone.

Nia almost got offended but then she noticed the gleam in Jase's eyes and the smile on his face and she realized he was joking too. "You better." She said coolly as he led her, hand in hand, toward the Forum.

He smiled at her and she felt like melting. "I hope you like basketball." He said as they made their way through the crowd.

"Nope."

"Really?"

"Nah, just kidding I love it and it's players. Tyson Chandler, Mike Conley, Blake Griffin, yum."

Jase rolled his eyes at her and she laughed.

"But seriously, I love basketball. My brothers all played and I did too until one of the girls tried to get me in the shower."

"So, there's no hope for a threesome." Nia cut her eyes at him and he put his hands up. "I was just kidding."

"Right. But anyways, I stopped playing and started cheering instead. That's how I paid for college."

"Well, I hope you're up to do some cheerleading tonight because the Grizz definitely need some motivation."

"Oh, don't worry. I've still got it." Nia did a high kick and Jase laughed and clapped.

"Thank you, thank you." Nia bowed and smiled. "With me on their side they'll be flying down the court."

"Damn right." Nia took Jase's hand again as he led her inside. He smiled at her as he gave the cashier their tickets and she felt giddy.

He was so...so her. When she was with Harrison she'd felt like he was the ying to her yang. Where she was loud and outgoing, he had been quiet and reserved. He was laid back, calm, cool, and collected, keeping her steady when she was ready to blow up the world.

But Jase, Jase lit the fuse to the bomb. Maybe it was because he was just like her but it seemed he grated on her every nerve. He was so damn frustrating and he made her want to scream for more reasons than one. But then he'd make her smile and laugh and those little moments were what made her heart fill with emotions that she didn't want to share after falling so hard for Harrison.

"Nia?"

"Huh, yeah?"

"I see you took a mini mental vacation there."

"Yeah. Something like that."

"Well, get your head in the game. It's go time."

"Woo!" Nia laughed and this was going to be fun.

*********************************

"So how's the steak?" Kimani asked politely.

"Fine." Harrison answered just as nicely.

Kimani sighed as she forked another bite of her pasta. They had been doing this question/one word answer stuff since they'd left the cabin and Kimani was sick of it.

"Harrison, get the check. It's time to go."

Harrison looked up in confusion. "What? Why?"

"Because this," Kimani said while motioning towards the dinner, "is boring."

"I thought you'd like it." Harrison downcast his eyes and Kimani realized she'd bruised his ego again.

"Damn this man is sensitive." She thought to herself. Kimani sighed and reached for his hand. "Give me your hand."

Harrison laid his hand in hers and Kimani laced her fingers with his as she spoke. "Harrison, I appreciate you bringing me to such a lovely dinner and I love that you thought of me and what I like when you chose this date but Dr. Rosenburgh said this trip is all about you being the man and making decisions that suit you as well as myself and seeing as this is a vacation I'd think you'd want to have fun and the Harrison I know does not have fun in stuffy restaurants. In fact, the Harrison I know hates these types of places and would much rather be at a sportsbar or lounge. Am I right?"

Harrison gave her a shy smile and nodded. "Yeah."

"Exactly. So get the check so I can hang out with my Harrison without doing small talk and using proper etiquette."

Harrison smiled a genuine smile and Kimani felt her heart flutter. Harrison signaled for the waiter and got the check and Kimani blew out a breath.

"Maybe this night won't be a complete disaster after all." Kimani thought as Harrison paid. After the waiter brought Harrison's card back, he looked at Kimani expectantly.

"Where to m'lady?" He said in a fake British accent as he stood. Kimani followed suit and took the hand Harrison offered.

"Wherever you'd like kind sir." She replied with a giggle.

"I think I have some place in mind." Harrison said with a big grin on his face.

"Well, lead the way."

After walking a few blocks Harrison spotted the place.

"There." He said pointing to the all black glass paned building across the intersection.

Kimani looked at him suspiciously. "That's the place?"

"Yep." He said as they walked the crosswalk.

"It doesn't look like much." Kimani commented as they approached the building.

Harrison just shrugged. "Looks can be deceiving." He countered.

They made it to the door and what could only be considered a life-sized G.I. Joe was guarding the entrance. Harrison felt like shrinking into a ball in his presence but he couldn't be weak with Kimani standing with him so he took a deep breath and spoke.

"How much to get in?"

"Free for the lady, $30 for you." The G.I. Joe boomed in a Michael Clarke Duncan matched voice. Harrison paid and the bouncer smiled a crooked smile.

"Welcome to Isis." Harrison and Kimani entered the building and followed a dark corridor.

"What is this place Harrison?" Kimani whispered. He could tell she was nervous by the way she was gripping his shirt and staying glued to his side.

"Just a club, like Senses back home."

"You sure? Because it's creepy dark in here and there's no music playing."

Harrison stopped and looked at Kimani or what he could make out of her form in the darkness. "Do you trust me?"

Kimani was silent for what seemed like an eternity to Harrison's internal clock before she finally answered, "Yes."

"Then trust I wouldn't take you any place where you aren't safe. Okay?"

"Okay." They continued to walk until they reached an elevator which they took to the next floor. The elevator opened to a ballroom filled with undulating shades of blue lights, the soft crooning of Maxwell, and a huge crowd of people swaying to the music.

Harrison and Kimani exited the elevator but didn't move to any part of the room as they took in the sight of the people. Many were dancing to the soft music, others were drinking at the bar on a far wall, and some seemed to be in deep discussion at private tables but what caught Harrison's eye were the women in black leading couples away to a set of doors on the other side of the ballroom.

It peaked his interest. What could be behind those double doors? What were they being led to? What were they being taken away for?

"Harrison?" Harrison turned at the sound of Kimani's voice.

"Kimani."

"Can we dance?"

"Of course." Harrison led Kimani through the crowd and onto the dance floor. The song had changed and Harrison held her tightly as Kem's lyrics washed over them.

He sang along quietly as Kimani rested her head against his chest. "There's a light shining on you. And woman I'm trembling inside. Loved a woman that I barely knew. I must have been out of my mind. Oh, I I'll never hurt you again. Girl I, I know you deserve a better man. Hey I, I was a fool to ever let you down but I want you to stay."

Kimani closed her eyes as she basked in Harrison's presence. She could hear the hurt in his words as he sung along with Kem but she didn't want to believe them. She didn't want to believe that he could hurt as much as she did. She didn't want to believe he was sorry or that he truly did love her.

He held her tighter and continued to sing. "Woman I beg your forgiveness. And I can still see true love shine in your eyes. And may the lord be my witness. Honey, I'll love you for the rest of my life."

Kimani opened her eyes as panic began to rise in her chest. She knew it was crazy but hearing Harrison sing those words scared her half to death and suddenly she felt like she couldn't breathe. Those words challenged her to choose. To love or leave him.

He held her tighter and Kimani felt suffocated by his arms like they were the decision itself. She pushed away from him and was caught in his gaze. It was so damn sad.

"Kimani, I l-"

"I have to go to the bathroom. I'll meet you at the bar when I'm done." Kimani walked away from him and into the crowd before he could stop her.

She squeezed herself through the people towards a set of double doors that she hoped would lead her to a bathroom so she could collect herself, but the crowd was like a sea and Kimani kept getting swept up in the waves.

She was pushed and pulled like the tides further and further away from the doors and only stopped when she crashed right into solid rock. Not really solid rock but a body that felt like it.

She looked up to apologize and almost swallowed her tongue at the sight of the man. He was gorgeous with his long black hair and strong jaw, olive skin and intense dark chocolate eyes. Eyes that were in that moment staring right through her.

Kimani opened and closed her mouth a few times before finally forming a coherent statement.

"Excuse me." She whispered before trying to push her way around him.

The effort was useless though as it seemed he was a human wall blocking her way. Kimani looked at him impatiently and although his face remained straight she thought she saw a hint of amusement in his eye.

"Can you move please?" She asked with a little more of her Memphis attitude. This time he cracked a smile and Kimani felt her heart trip.

"May I have a dance?" He asked with a hint of an accent.

Kimani nodded dumbly and let him lead her to a place in the crowd. Kimani thought she was going to die as the man held her. His embrace, unlike Harrison's, didn't feel like a vice but rather a blanket. His arms, wrapped around her body, were heating her up from the outside, in, and Kimani found herself wrapping her own arms around his neck to be closer.

"Who are you?" She asked as her fingers played in his hair.

"I'm whoever you need me to be." He answered in a deep voice dripping with sex.

"Hmm, what if I just needed you to be my tonight?" She replied huskily.

She knew she was flirting but this man was too fine to resist. Plus, how she figured it Harrison deserved a little payback for all the bullshit he put her through. "Maybe if he realizes that he's replaceable he'll be more responsible with where he decides to stick his dick." Kimani thought to herself.

Her internal justification was cut short by the low rumble of a chuckle in her ear. "I'd gladly be your tonight, tomorrow, and forever if you needed it amoorty."

"Would you now?" She asked playfully.

"Just say the word." He whispered allowing his lips to brush her ear and his hand which had been resting on her lower back to trail and caress her ass.

Kimani felt her breath hitch at the light touches as did he. The man pulled her closer and rocked against Kimani causing her to feel his obvious arousal.

"Just say the word." He whispered again before swiping his tongue along the outer rim of her ear and sucking her earlobe into his mouth. Kimani let a soft moan escape.

How did he know her spot? Kimani pushed out of his arms and knew she probably looked all types of dazed and confused which she was. He gazed at her with those dark eyes and she felt like he could see her every sin, including the ones that were running through her head at that moment. She had to get away.

"I'm sorry. But I have a forever and I don't want to lose it over a tonight. So excuse me." She moved to pass him and this time he let her through.

She walked away and didn't look back. But maybe if she had she would've seen that two pairs of eyes were watching her exit.

********************************

Nia eyed the clock and the scoreboard, and cursed. Memphis was down 45 to 46 with fifteen seconds on the clock before half-time and Nia was on the edge of her seat. The opposing team, OKC, were at the free throw line once again due to all their flopping and Nia found herself chanting like she was a cheerleader at University of Tennessee again.

"M-I-Double S MISS IT!!!"" She hollered at the top of her lungs but the magic wasn't with her and OKC's player made both shots.

"Damn." She slouched in her seat. But before she could get too down in the dumps the Grizzlies made a play that ended the half with the commentator yelling, "It's Zeebo with a three!" and Nia screaming in celebration.

Jase clapped and cheered alongside her. "I see you're having fun." He commented.

"Fuck yeah." She answered and Jase laughed.

"Your welcome."

"I didn't thank you." Nia pointed out before taking a sip of her soda.

Jase watched her full lips wrap around the bottle top and he groaned inside. "Did everything she did have to be sexual?" Jase wondered.

"You will thank me though. By the way, you really shouldn't drink caffeinated beverages while pregnant."

"Shut up and let me have my bad habit tonight."

Jase shrugged. "Just trying to help."

"Thank you b-"

"Ha!"

Nia looked at him in confusion. "Ha what?"

"I told you you'd tell me thank you." He said with a smirk.

Nia rolled her eyes. "Dumbass, I was saying, 'Thank you but no thanks.'"

"Oh." Jase nodded in understanding.

An awkward silence ensued and Nia felt the need to fill it. "So, how'd you get courtside seats?"

"I know a guy." He said with a wink and as if on cue the guy called his name.

"Jason Broderick Hanson the Third is that you?"

Jase groaned at the voice that was fast approaching.

"Who is that?" Nia asked pointing at the large white man heading their way.

Jase rubbed his face and sighed. "My father."

The man was on them now and he had a huge smile on his face. "Well, well it is my only son. Come and give your old man a hug."

Jase stood and gave his father a quick embrace before stepping away from his reach.

"What are you doing here?" Jase asked shortly.

"The question is what are you doing here? Hannah doesn't like basketball." Jase tried to block his father's view of Nia but good ol' dad had keen eyes for the opposite sex.

"Oh, who is this?" He asked as he made his way around Jase and to a seat beside Nia.

"This is my friend, Nia." Jase answered as he took his seat again.

"Ah, Nia. Such a beautiful name for a beautiful woman." Jase's father complimented as he kissed her hand. "I'm Bruce by the way." He said with a warm smile.

"Nice to meet you Bruce." Nia said shaking his hand.

Bruce released her hand and looked at Jase. "Does Hannah know you have friends that look like this?"

Nia gave Jase a questioning look and Jase felt sick. "Who's Hannah?" Nia asked politely.

Bruce laughed a hearty laugh and shook his finger at Jase. "You sly devil." Bruce looked back at Nia and answered nonchalantly. "Just Jase's girlfriend."

"Girlfriend huh?" Nia said in a voice so sweet that Jase knew it meant bad things for him. She looked at her phone and sighed.

"Oh, look at the time I wouldn't want to get you home to your girlfriend so late. I think we should go."

"Nia,"

"Now." She snapped. She stood and bid Bruce goodbye. "It was really nice meeting you. C'mon Jase." Nia left the two and Bruce laughed.

"I see you're finally dabbling in my world and she, she's a good start."

Jase watched Bruce's eyes wander to Nia's departing ass and he felt the need to hurt the man. "What do you mean, 'dabbling in your world'? Nia is just a friend."

"Right, like all the 'friends' I introduced you to."

"No." "Well if she's not one of those friends, why didn't she know about Hannah? It ain't right to lie to her."

Jase felt like punching his hypocritical ass father dead in the face. "First of all, Hannah and I broke up. Secondly, don't preach to me about lying when you lied to my mom the entire time you two were together."

Bruce rubbed his chin and nodded in agreement. "You're right I lied to your mom but I didn't lie to the mistresses. They all knew I was married."

Jase looked at his father in disbelief. "You know you're a piece of shit right."

Bruce just shrugged. "Yeah, I know. Your mother told me before she died." He sat back in his seat in resignation.

"Goodbye Bruce."

Jase shook his head as he walked away from his father. How could his father even think he'd be like him? He wasn't a liar or a cheat. His father's voice rang in his ear. "Yes, you are. You're just like me. Think about it."

And Jase did think about it and to his horror he realized the apple hadn't fallen far from the tree. He'd never been faithful in any relationship and he had lied on multiple occasions and if he was being totally honest he was really just a piece of shit like his dad.

But as he walked up to his car and saw Nia standing there, looking how he was feeling, he promised himself that he was going to change. Seeing her hurt was something that clawed at his heart and being Bruce had a 'hurt you guarantee' so it was time. No longer would he be like dear ol' dad. He was going to be Jase the Good Guy even if it killed him.

"I'm sorry, I-"

"Stop." Nia had heard so many apologies that the word sorry didn't even spark her forgiveness trigger. Jase stopped and Nia looked at him. She knew he could see that she'd been crying and she wanted him to see that pain, to understand.

"Jase, I specifically asked you if you're married and you said,"

"No, because I'm not married."

"No, you have a girlfriend. Who's really beautiful by the way." She watched his face contort in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

Nia smiled a sad smile and held up her phone to Jase.

"I Googled your name and pictures of you and her were displayed like that." Nia snapped for emphasis.

"Nia, I can explain."

"It's fine. No explanation needed. You know what, actually I'm sorry, I'm sorry I didn't learn from my mistakes." Nia let the tears fall but before she knew it Jase was right there wiping them away.

"Nia, please don't cry. You have no reason to apologize. You haven't done anything wrong."

"Yes I have." Nia sniffled.

"What'd you do so wrong?" Jase asked as he held her.

Nia took a deep breath and released the guilt she'd been fighting since the day she discovered Harrison was married.

"I slept with a married man." She whispered.

She felt Jase's chest rumble with laughter and felt her heart drop.

"It's not funny." Nia said as she pushed out of his arms.

"It is because #1 I'm not married and #2 we haven't slept together yet."

Nia looked at Jase incredulously. "For you to be a doctor you sure are dumb."

"Huh?" Nia groaned.

"I wasn't talking about you I was talking about my baby's father. He's,"

"Married." Jase finished.

"Yeah." Nia couldn't look at him. She didn't want to see that smile twist into disgust.

"Nia, look at me." He whispered. Nia shook her head and stared through tear blurred vision at the ground. Jase closed the gap between them again and wrapped her in his arms.