MMA Meets MBA

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They had to clear the ring for the official announcement.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the decision, at four minute twenty seconds in the fifth round, was victory by submission. May I present the new middlewieght champion of the world, BETTY 'BANG BANG' BURKE!"

She left the ring in a daze, the title belt draped over her shoulders.

She remembered the hug, the kisses. She remembered her dad, her brothers and their families hugging her. She remembered Manny clearing the room so Alice and Candy could dress her for her interview. The nice dress and the styled hair couldn't hide her bruises or the split lip she didn't remember getting, but it helped.

She, of course, was gracious, praising everyone.

The interviews and pictures seemed to last forever. Alice wrangled the pictures with the winner of the mens' bout, with children from group homes, of course.

Thanks to Alice and Betty, it was the official cause of the MMA. To date their efforts had resulted in seven hundred adoptions. The federation had made serious overtures to Alice, to run the publicity arm of the organization. She had asked for time to think it over.

She was almost comatose by the time Mark got her back to their suite. He ran her a bath, bathed her, gave her some over the counter pain medicine, and put her to bed.

He lay beside her carefully, knowing a hug would cause her pain. This was the part he hated. He thought about how much longer her career would probably last. Six years, at least.

He didn't want to wait that long The engagement ring had been custom made and had been ready for three months. He didn't want anything to distract her while she was training. He wanted children.

If they waited until her fight career was over he would be almost forty before their first was born.

He knew it was selfish, and that kept him from asking her to quit. But still...

Restless, he got up and retrieved the ring out of his briefcase. He held it up to a lamp, admiring it, before he quietly slipped in onto her finger.

Tomorrow would tell the tale.

................................................

Betty woke and groaned when she tried to move. Every muscle on her body ached. She had a headache and she couldn't breathe right. She reached up and touched her nose, wincing in pain.

Mark had been up for several hours. He was by her side instantly, helping her up and into the shower. He bathed her gently, trying to fight his erection. He lingered over her breasts. She giggled and pushed back against him, before groaning.

"Sorry, babe, the spirit is more than willing, but the flesh is week. Soon, my love, soon."

She was still in a fog, running on the remnants of adrenalin and pain, and while she felt the ring on her finger, her brain couldn't process the significance.

All the sports channels were anxious for interviews. Sports Illustrated wanted to talk to her about the cover for next week. Alice had things lined up and organized in no time.

They started with ESPN, that night. The interviewer was sharp and knew the sport. He pulled up clips and they discussed them. After the reviewing the fight, he asked her what her plans were.

"Well, right now, my priority is to recover."

She laughed as she stroked the metal guard the doctors had placed over her nose.

"Understandable. But I think you have other things going on in your life. Like your acting career, and your charity work. I'm also sure your upcoming marriage is pretty important, have you set a date?"

Betty was stunned.

"Huh?"

"Your wedding. That is an engagement ring, isn't it?"

She looked down at her finger and held it up. They zoomed in to a close up of the ring. The host grinned

"That's quite a rock. He must love you a lot. I bet he'll be too scared of you to ever fool around. Who is the lucky man?"

She didn't hear a thing he said. She sat there, looking at the ring. Looking up, she saw Mark grinning while tears rolled down Alice's cheek.

He had told Alice what he'd done, but forbidden her to mention it. They waited, wondering when she would notice it.

Betty looked at the host. Her face went red and the tears came.

"I...I..,"

She fainted. When she came to the cameras was still running. She looked down and saw Mark on his knees.

"Bettina Dorothy Burke, Will you marry me?"

She dissolved into tears while Alice held her. In between her sobs she managed to squeak out a faint "yes". She grabbed him so hard she lost her balance and fell on top of him, knocking him to the floor. Their lips never disconnected. It took twenty minutes for her to regroup enough to finish the interview.

The interview was a smash, picked up by ever network and service. The youtube video got five million hits in a week.

Off camera, she apologized to her host. He hadn't stopped smiling since she collapsed.

"Are you crazy? I'll never get higher ratings than this, I guarantee it. Thanks for the interview, and congratulations. He's a very lucky man."

Mark had walked up, catching the last comment.

He kissed the top of Betty's head.

"Yes, he is indeed."

...............................................

She made the circuit of talk shows. They all insisted Mark be with her. He talked little, this was her time, she deserved the limelight.

Sports Illustrated did put her on the cover, showing her at the beginning of the bout, in her split with her hands up. The title of the article said it all. BANG BANG, OUT WENT THE LIGHTS, with pictures of her at the exact moment her nose was broken, and the submission of the champ. They also had a picture of her when she fainted , with the caption 'Knocked Out By Love'.

It took three months to get back to normal. They had their regular after fight meeting, planning the future.

Manny said it best.

"You've arrived, baby. Best of the Best. They'll be chasing you now. We have to let you nose heal up. I don't see you having to defend your title for at least eight months. That doesn't mean you shouldn't train, but you can take it easy for the next few months. Keep you roadwork up, and when it's time we'll start you out with some light sparring.

Her sponsors were going crazy. FUBU was designing a whole sportswear line around her. Nike and New balance were negotiating with Alice for a shoe endorsement. Acting offers were coming in, along with commercials.

She did one for Mabelline cosmetics that only took half a day. In it, she was running, lifting weights, sparring. Finally she was sitting on a stool in the middle of the ring, sweat pouring off her. She looked up, straight into the camera. Her mascara was perfect.

"When Mabelline says it never runs, they weren't kidding."

It was an instant favorite, and she made more off it than she did for her title fight. Mark laughed when she showed him the check.

"Remember what I told you the first time we talked about your future? Now, wasn't that easier than getting hit?"

Her money grew in leaps and bounds, and Mark made her review where she was on a weekly basis. She complained, once.

"Why do I have to do this? When we marry it will be your money too. Why can't you just watch it?"

His answer surprised her.

"No it won't. I proposed to you, not your money. There will be a prenup before we marry. Your money will remain yours. I'll never touch it."

She tried to argue but he stood firm. Alice got to hear all about it until she lost her patience.

"Hush, little sister. I bet you he never said anything about keeping his money separate. He's kind of old fashioned, he means it when you get to the part 'and all my worldly goods endow'. Don't complain, be happy he loves you that deeply."

Alice was very pleased with her when a national chain of hair salons courted her and she refused. Shear Delights was her very first endorsement contract, and she was loyal.

The owner had to expand, twice. It got so bad Betty had to have Candy come to her house to fix her hair. She did make a point of appearing every few months or so, signing autographs and having her picture taken. Alice was shrewd, and her two boxers and female MMA fighters were patrons.

When Candy talked about going out on her own, the owner sold her a percentage of the salon to stay.

................................................

Betty was devastated with the lump on her nose.

Mark hugged her, laughing.

"It makes you look tougher. Besides, until you retire it makes no sense to fix it."

Since she had a lot of free time, she spent more at St. Agnes. She and Jeremy grew very close.

The first time she visited after the championship the kids were concerned over her face. She still had two discolored eyes, and the metal guard on her nose.

"Did it hurt?" asked Jeremy.

"Yes, baby, it hurt a lot. But it was a chance I took. And I'll be all better soon. I just can't jump rope with you right now."

He surprised her when he got up on the bench they were sitting on and kissed her eyes and nose, soft, wet little kisses.

He leaned back.

"Now they'll get better faster. I love you, this much."

He spread his arms out as wide as they would go, just like in his favorite book.

She was so moved she hugged him fiercely, crying.

Sister Mary Elizabeth ran the home. Barely forty, her job made her wise beyond her years. She watched the interaction between Jeremy and Betty, seeing the affection grow between them.

She asked God to forgive her for the little lie she was about to tell. As Betty got her customary hug, Mary Elizabeth whispered in her ear.

"You've been so good for Jeremy. He's come out of his shell and participates now. He lives for your visits. It's too bad really."

"Why is it too bad, Sister Mary?"

"Because we have an interview next week with a couple who are looking for a small boy. They saw his picture on our website and want to meet him."

Betty felt despair clutch her heart. Her Jeremy, leaving? She knew she should be glad for him, but it hurt her to think of him gone.

Mary Elizabeth watched the emotions cloud her face.

She asked her into the little office she used.

"Betty, Have you ever thought about adoption yourself? You're a natural mother, I see it every time you stop by. Single parent adoption has gotten a lot easier lately. You're a prime candidate. Well off, mentally stable, strong family network."

She paused, letting Betty digest what she said.

Betty held up her left hand and for the first time the nun saw the engagement ring.

"That's just it. I won't be single for much longer. He's a good man, sister. The best. And I know he wants kids, but we've never talked about adoption."

Sister Mary gave her some information.

"Show him these, find out his feelings. I'll pray for a good outcome. Now, as a test, why don't you take Jeremy and spend a few days with him. Show him to your man, let him see you together."

"Can I do that? Just take him, I mean?"

"We do it, occasionally. Normally there's a pretty extensive background check, but I think we could vouch for you. Think about it."

She did for two days. Calling the home Thursday she made arrangements to pick up Jeremy Friday morning. They reminded her she needed a childs' seat for her car.

Betty called Alice, asking if she had time to help her shop for a few things. Alice knew Betty wasn't really a shopper, and with her endorsements she had closets full of clothes. Something was up.

They went to Childs Play, an upscale store for clothes and supplies. Alice assumed they were there to get gifts for her nieces.

They went to the car seats first, and Betty told the salesgirl she wanted the best. She showed her several models, based on the weight of the child.

She picked one, making sure it would fit into her a car.

It was her biggest splurge, bought with some of the money from the Mabelline commercial. A sporty little Volvo, bright red. She loved how it handled. Being one of the safest cars in the world made her Dad and Mark happy.

When they went to look at clothes for a small boy, Alice couldn't stand it.

"Betty, what's going on?"

Betty started talking and didn't stop until the whole story was out. Alice hugged her for a long time.

"Good for you! Have a little faith in Mark. I know my big brother well enough that he'll at least be open. I'm going to tell you something, something you have to promise me you won't tell him. He was talking about how much he loved you the other day, and how happy he would be when you were parents. He loves kids, but he's concerned that by the time your career is over, the window for children will be closing. He would never tell you this, he wants you to make your own choices. He doesn't want you to look back and wish you had stayed with it a little longer, or resent him for asking you to stop."

"This could be a good thing, a very good thing. You could continue your career and still have a child to love. Take the child home, see how it goes, and sometime over the weekend I want to meet my prospective new nephew."

................................................

They didn't tell Jeremy until she showed up, asking him if he'd like to spend a few days with her. He couldn't talk, he was so excited.

He recovered his voice in the car, chattering nonstop until she pulled up at Mark's office.

"Why are we here?"

"We're here, baby, because I want you to meet someone else very important to me. Be on your best behavior, all right?"

They went in, Mark had blocked some time for her when she called. She would always remember the look on his face when she led Jeremy in. He had a death grip on her hand.

He recovered nicely.

"Hi honey. Who is this little man?"

Betty was so nervous she was sweating.

"This is Jeremy. Jeremy, this is Mark, the man I'm going to marry."

He could see the pleading in her eyes.

"Mark, Jeremy is from St. Agnes. He's going to spend the weekend with me, with us I hope. Jeremy, will you wait outside a moment?"

Mark had gotten up and squatted down beside Jeremy, getting as close to his level as possible. He held out his hand.

"I'm happy to meet you, Jeremy."

They shook, both looking solemn. Then his assistant came in and led him out, saying she had a computer set up with a game for him to play.

Mark looked at her expectantly.

She told him the whole story, especially the part of how he came to be an orphan.

"He's a good kid who hasn't had many good things happen to him in his short little life. I like him, a lot. I have him for three days, all the way until Tuesday. If you don't want to spend time with us. I'll understand. I'll make it up to you next week."

He stared at her until she became nervous before picking up his phone.

"Gail, I need you to reschedule my appointments for the rest of the day. I've had something important come up, and I'll be out of the office until next Tuesday. If something big comes up, you can call me on my cell. You may as well leave early too."

Betty heard Gail giggling as she said "yes, boss."

He looked up at her.

"Well, it appears I unexpectedly have a clear schedule. Can you think of anything you'd like to do this weekend?"

She dove over the desk into his lap.

"I can think of a lot of things I'd like to do, including right now, on this desk. But we've got someone waiting for us. And I seriously intend to christen this desk, and your conference table, and your couch, and the floor..."

She had to stop. It's hard to speak with a tongue in your mouth.

................................................

Jeremy and Mark took to each other right away. Sometimes she actually felt jealous. They went to McDonalds and let him get a happy meal and play for a bit. She held his hand tightly, getting anxious when she couldn't see him, relaxing when he popped up, laughing.

They took a ride out in the country. Jeremy was excited, he had lived in a city for all his life.

The wide open spaces scared him just a little.

They went by a farm that had a sign up.

"Petting zoo, parties, special events, reasonable rates."

Mark turned into the driveway. Jeremy could see the goats, sheep, and ponies. He had never seen them before except on television and books. He was so excited that he was trying to get out of his seat.

The farmer came out, and after a quiet word with Mark, opened his barn and gave them a tour, letting Jeremy and Betty pet the animals. He got to hold some baby chicks, but the highlight came when the farmer saddled a small pony, put Jeremy in it, and led him across the pasture and back. Betty was snapping pictures with her phone as fast as she could.

After the ride was over, the farmer's wife came out with some lemonade and fresh made cookies, straight from the oven. Jeremy ate four before Betty made him stop. She promised she would give him more that night for a snack if he behaved.

She sat on the porch later with the wife, watching as Mark and the farmer walked around, Jeremy on their heels. He reached up and took Mark's hand like it was the most natural thing in the world. Mark picked him up, settling him on his hip.

"You have a nice family" the wife said as they watched."

Betty smiled.

"Yes I do, the best."

They came back later, with Jeremy carrying a basket. Fresh eggs, just collected. They let him keep them.

He was asleep within minutes when they drove away.

She held tightly to Marks' hand.

"Thank you for this. I wish there was a way to love you more for it, but that's not possible. I can't love you any more deeply than I do right now."

He held her hand tighter, and eased her car off the road. He kissed her gently.

"Yes."

"Yes what? "

"Yes, we should adopt him. I see the look in your eyes and his. You were meant to be his mother. I'm just glad you picked me to go along. That's all right, isn't it...Mom?"

She lowered her head into her hands and sobbed lightly, shedding great tears of joy. Mark's face was lined with tears as well, dripping into her hair as he held her. Jeremy slept through it, one of the most important moments of his whole life.

When she was composed, she sent a text to Alice, Manny, her Dad, and brothers.

There was a flurry of messages back.

"Uh Mark, Dad insists we stop by his house. He wants to meet his soon to be new grandson. And my brothers and their family, and Alice, and Manny, and Emile. They're all going to be there. Is that ok?"

He grinned, glancing at his soon to be new son in the backseat, still asleep.

"Like we have a choice? Call ahead and order the pizzas, I'm sure no one will be in the mood to cook."

The pizza and soft drinks arrived just before they did. They had to park on the street because there was no room in the drive. The whole crowd watched expectantly as she unbuckled his car seat and pulled him out. There was a second of quiet before the whole crowd rushed them. Jeremy clung to her, frightened.

Mark held his hand up, motioning them quiet.

"Every one, this is Jeremy. Before you speak again, I need to talk to him."

He reached for him and he held out his small arms.

Once settled in his arms he seemed calmer.

"Jeremy, do you love Betty"

Suddenly shy in front of the group, he said a quiet "Uh huh".

"Good, because Betty loves you. Now, would you like to come live with her all the time?"

He was smiling and nodding his head rapidly.

"Better. But you need to know, if you come live with her, you have to live with me too. Is that all right?"

Again he nodded.

"That's great! You understand, if you do come live with us, Betty will be your mom, and I'll be your dad.

Still want to come?"

The realization of what he was saying hit his young mind, and he began crying and reached for Betty.

"Momma, Momma."

There wasn't a dry eye in the yard. Mark summed it up.

"Family, meet our newest member. This is Jeremy, our son."

Frightened at first, he soon relaxed as he was handed from family member to family member. Her nieces, ranging in age from ten to sixteen, tried to monopolize him. The highlight of the evening was when he was sitting in her father's lap asleep, the first grandson in the family.