Montana Summer Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He had changed his mind, the more he had thought about it, the more he knew that he needed to call Ryan's father. They had grown up together, cousins, raised by their grandparents after the accident which claimed their parents' lives. Even though lifestyles and distance separated them, a bond remained between the two men.

"Hello." A woman's voice answered.

"Hello Margaret, it's Bill. Is Roy around?"

The woman's tone turned frosty. "Yes. Let me get him for you."

In the background, he heard her. "Roy! Your cousin is on the phone and wishes to speak with you."

"Hi, Bill." Roy's greeting had a great deal more warmth in it than his wife's.

"Howdy, Roy. I've got some news for you." Bill paused for a moment. "Some really big news."

"Okay, what's up?"

"You might want to sit down."

"I'm sitting down, is everything okay?" A bit of worry had crept into Roy's voice.

"Everything's fine, everyone's fine. It's just─Jessi had some DNA testing done. It's a long story as to how this came about, and I'll save it for the next time you're out this way. Anyway, it turns out you're not Jessi's biological father after all."

"What?" At the other end of the phone, Roy sat back in his chair and ran his fingers through his hair. "Are you sure?"

"Well, as sure as I can be. Jessi had Ryan up in Missoula and they had their DNA tested Seems as if they don't share a common father. So, I would say it lets you off of the hook."

Roy was bewildered. He closed his eyes and tried to replay that night in his mind. "Well, who the hell could it have been then? Was it you after all?

"No, it wasn't me. I know who it was though, it was Rob."

"What the...?" Roy was almost speechless.

"There's more. A lot more. I almost don't know where to begin." Bill felt like the little Dutch boy who had pulled his finger from the dyke.

After Bill related the story of Ryan being shot, and ending up in the hospital, Roy was angry. "Why the hell didn't you call us?"

"I tried," Bill, replied evenly. "For days, I tried, but you were on vacation. Your cell always went straight to voice mail. I called your work, I called your father-in-law, but no one had any idea of how to get a hold of you. Ryan was out of the hospital and home before you returned."

Roy shook his head in frustration and muttered, "Fuckin' Margaret and her vacation getaways."

"There's more. Ryan and Jessi are closer than ever. Nothing has changed on that front."

"Somehow after watching them, it doesn't surprise me," Roy commented.

"I know. I've talked to them both until I felt like I was blue in the face. I didn't want to push too hard. I was afraid, as strong headed as the both of them are, they would take off. I thought it was best to have them here at least where we could keep an eye on them."

"So you think they will..." Roy's words trailed off.

"I have no doubt. It's eerie; it's almost as if it's preordained. Do you remember Grandpa talking about the diaries Ellen kept of Will's life?"

Roy nodded his head. "Yes, yes, I remember. No one ever knew what happened to them."

"I know what happened to them."

"What?" Roy's curiosity was piqued.

"Your son found them when we were clearing out the loft in the barn," Bill replied. "I damn near fell over. There was a picture of Will and Ellen in with the stuff. My heart damned near stopped. It looks like a picture of Ryan and Jessi."

"Are you serious?"

"Damn straight I am," Bill replied. "I'm not going to tell you your business, but I think you need to come on out and see you son. He's changed so much from when you were here in the summer." Bill waited for a moment. "Charlie says there's something very special about Ryan. I can never remember those Lakota words Charlie uses. He says that Ryan is a man who lives in two worlds. Ryan and Charlie are very close. There's a real bond between them."

"I don't know." Roy watched his wife walk back into the room. "I'll talk to...no, never mind. Yes. I think we need to come up and spend a few days."

"Good." Bill was happy. "Ryan's turned into a fine young man." Bill could feel his eyes tearing up. "I'd be proud to have him as my son-in-law. I already see him as the son I never had. You need to be very proud of him."

Roy's voice turned quiet. "Thanks, Bill. I appreciate you saying that. And I've always been proud of Ryan. I'll give you a call and let you know when we're coming."

Roy hung up the phone and looked at his wife. "We're going to Montana to visit Ryan."

The tone of her voice would have frozen water in the Sahara. "I am not going to that God forsaken ranch again. If Ryan wants to live there, then fine. I'm not going so he can embarrass me again."

Roy hated when his wife got like this. "I know you're so damned afraid he's going to sully the fine Sinclair name. Funny thing, when I talked with your father a few weeks ago and told him of Ryan's plans for staying in Montana and becoming a rancher, he was quite pleased. I'm going. You're going. We're both going. That's it. End of conversation."

Bill left the kitchen and sat in his chair. He was glad he had made the call. The kitchen door slammed. Suzanne was home. "Come on in here, Suzanne. I've got a storm warning for you."

Suzanne sat her bags on the kitchen table and walked into the living room. "I just heard the weather on the way home. They didn't say anything about a storm."

"No, but they didn't know Roy and Margaret are coming."

Suzanne sank into her chair. "Oh dear. So, I take it they know."

Bill nodded. "Well, Roy does. How much he tells Margaret is anyone's guess."

---

Walt looked towards Ryan as he spoke to his father. "He hasn't as much as twitched."

"I remember when I went on a vision quest and had a vision." Walt took a sip of his coffee. "Scared the hell out of me."

Charlie didn't remember his son being scared after he had his vision. "Really? I don't remember that."

Walt nodded as he set his coffee down. "Yeah, I had this vision of having to take care of you when you got really old."

Charlie smiled and shook his head. "A good son would see it as an honor."

A smile broke over Walt's face and a chuckle escaped his lips. "Seriously, I just remember feeling very different. It was humbling."

"Yes, that's how I felt too," Charlie replied.

Some movement from Ryan caught Walt's eye. He set his cup down and stood up. "Looks like he's coming back. He will probably want to talk to you, and I don't want to make him feel uncomfortable. I think I'll go fishing."

"Do you think you'll catch anything?" Charlie asked.

"No, not really. Unless there are a few stragglers." Walt stretched. "You know what they say; a bad day fishing still beats a good day at anything else."

Walt headed down to the creek with his fishing rod as Charlie sat and sipped his coffee. He saw Ryan look around briefly. He wondered what the boy had seen. There was no envy in Charlie.

"Where's Walt?" Ryan asked as he sat down by the fire.

Charlie pointed behind him with his thumb, towards the creek. "He's fishing." He picked up a cup, poured some coffee into it, and handed it to Ryan.

"Thanks." Ryan was grateful. He felt chilled.

Ryan looked down towards the creek. "Do you think there's any fish still in the creek?"

"Hard telling. There could still be some." Charlie knew better than to press Ryan. He knew Ryan would talk about what he had seen when he was ready.

The coffee took the chill from Ryan's body. The hot liquid in the blue enamel plated cup warmed his hands.

There was a long silence. Only the crackling of the small fire made any noise. Ryan sorted through his thoughts. He wasn't sure where to begin. So much had been shown to him. So much had given him joy. Some was confusing.

Finally, Ryan looked at Charlie. "I suppose you're waiting for me to say something."

"Only if you want to."

"I want to. I just don't know where to start."

Charlie raised the coffee pot from the fire. "Maybe another cup of coffee will help."

Ryan nodded and passed his cup to Charlie. He studied the older man and felt the burning of tears in his eyes. Ryan heard his voice crack with emotion. "I saw my son, Charlie."

---

Jessi crawled into bed. She wasn't tired; she just wanted to give Becky and Josh some time alone. Feelings of loneliness swept over her when she saw Josh and Becky together. Josh reminded Jessi a bit of Ryan and she found herself missing him.

A smile crossed her face as she thought about the three nights Ryan had spent in this bed with her. The weekend had been full of wild, raw sex, and soft passionate lovemaking. In between, there had been plans about the future.

The future─a warm tingling swept through her. They had a future now, something, which a few months ago, seemed impossible. She wanted no other life than one with Ryan on the ranch.

How he had changed in her eyes! It amazed her he had only been on the ranch for six months. He had grown from a city boy into a man before her eyes. He was her cowboy, and she was his girl.

She suppressed a giggle when she thought of Josh and Becky. It was obvious there was something between them. Jessi had never seen Becky light up over a guy the way she did with Josh. And he was like a puppy around her. She wondered if that happy grin was permanently frozen on his face.

---

"Have you had supper?" Suzanne asked Ryan as he walked in the door.

"No. We packed up this morning and had lunch on the trail." Ryan took off his hat and coat and hung them on the hook beside the door.

"Let me warm you up some supper then." Suzanne was glad to see Ryan back.

Bill set his paper down on the table and took his glasses off. "You need to call Jessi in a minute." He looked up at the clock. "Well, you could wait. She's due to call in about two minutes."

Ryan looked at his uncle with a curious look on his face.

"She's got some news for you and has been calling here about every five minutes for three or four hours."

"Oh, don't listen to him." Suzanne rolled her eyes and shook her head. "She's called twice."

"I've got some news for you too." Bill knew Ryan wasn't going to be exactly thrilled.

"Oh? What is it?"

"Your mom and dad will be here next weekend for a few days." Bill was surprised at the look on Ryan's face.

"Good," Ryan replied. His face had a look of sadness. "There's a lot I need to say to my dad. I watch Charlie and Walt, and they pretend to bicker back and forth. There's something between them that Dad and I seemed to have lost."

"What about your mom?" Suzanne asked.

"That'll be fine. I think she knows she can't bully me anymore." Ryan chuckled and gave his aunt a hug. "It will all be okay. Does her good to get out of the city and see how the other half lives."

Ryan sat down at the table and devoured his supper. It never failed to amaze him at how hungry he got when out in the mountains.

"How was the trip?" Bill leaned back in his chair as he watched Ryan eat.

Ryan nodded and paused in his eating. "It was amazing. It was a bit like going back in time."

Bill looked up at the clock and stood up. "Well, I think it's time for me to haul this carcass upstairs and grab a shower and then get into bed."

"Yeah, I need to do the same," Ryan replied as he carried his plate to the sink.

"Don't forget to call Jessi." Bill paused at the bottom of the stairs. "Knowin' my luck I'd just be dozing off about the time she'd call again."

Ryan went out to his small apartment in the barn and pulled his boots off. He picked up his cell phone and dialed Jessi's number.

The phone scarcely had time to ring. "Cowboy!"

"Hey, Jessi." Ryan was glad to hear her voice.

"I thought you'd never get home. I've been dying to talk to you since yesterday morning."

"What's up?" He leaned back on his couch.

Jessi squealed with delight. "The tests came back negative. Spotted Owl was right!"

Ryan sat straight up. "Oh my God!"

"You have no idea how excited I've been. I was half tempted to drive home, saddle up my horse and ride you down."

"I certainly wouldn't have complained." Ryan felt his spirit soar. It was the miracle they had been hoping for. "I just feel so..."

"Relieved?" Jessi interrupted. "That's how I felt. All those months of you telling me not to lose hope, and you were right. Oh, Ryan, I wish you were here right now so I could just kiss you."

"Me too! God, Jessi, I knew it in my heart; I think I've always known. But, now, to know there is proof! I'm just giddy!"

"Did Dad tell you Becky and I are coming home this weekend?"

"No, he didn't," Ryan replied. He thought of his parents coming up for the weekend. "Oh, did he tell you my parents are coming this weekend as well?"

"Yes. How do you feel about it?" Jessi had been a little concerned when she learned that Ryan's parents were going to be at the ranch.

"Believe it or not, I'm really glad they are. I really need to sit down and have a talk with Dad. I feel like we've lost something or maybe it's something we never had."

"Can I ask you serious question, Ryan?" Jessi felt her heart pounding.

"Sure."

"Do you see us together?" Jessi closed her eyes and waited for the answer.

Ryan wished he were with Jessi; he wanted her to be able to see his eyes when he answered. "Yes. I have seen it almost from when I first came up here."

Tears filled Jessi's eyes. "I've almost been afraid to dream it could be true."

His voice lowered and his body shook. "Jessi, I saw something when I was with Charlie and Walter. I had a vision and I saw something."

"What was it?"

"Jessi..." Ryan felt himself choking up with emotion. "I saw our son."

Jessi almost dropped the phone. She opened her mouth but no words would come out.

Ryan continued, "He looked just like you, Jessi─his eyes, his nose."

The tears flowed down Jessi's cheeks. "Oh, Ryan..." She was too choked up with emotion to vocalize her thoughts.

"I love you, Jessi."

She wiped her eyes with a Kleenex. "I love you too, cowboy. God, how I love you."

After hanging up with Ryan, Jessi realized she hadn't told him about Becky's dad being her biological father. She smiled; it gave her an excuse to call Ryan when she got home from school.

She hugged her pillow tightly and fell asleep dreaming about being married to Ryan and the two of them living in the cabin.

---

Norm stood back and watched Tony's men panning for gold. They had caught on quickly and now each man had his own spot along the creek. Norm shivered as he looked at the men. They were as tough a lot as he had ever seen. He would be glad to be out of here and back home.

He set his portable stove up next to the creek and got ready to extract the gold from what the men had panned. He trudged back down the trail to the RV to get one of the jugs of nitric acid and a bottle of mercury.

Norm opened the storage unit under the RV and went to reach for one of the glass jugs.

"...Tony gives his okay." The voice was unfamiliar to Norm.

He heard Vincenzo answer, "Tonight. You and I will go to the hotel. I will have Mr. Campbell call them on the pretense of bringing them out here. Once in the car, we will terminate the two of them and dispose of their bodies. Later on, we will clean out their hotel room, and we will have one of the men drop the rental car off at the Missoula airport."

"What about the guy you have out here?"

"As soon as we are done here, he is done. He is useful to us for the time being."

Norm froze. His immediate thought was to start running, and not stop until he was well away from here. The flight instinct went away almost as soon as it had come on. He knew he had to think. Quietly, he pulled his chemicals out from under the RV and hoped neither Vincenzo, nor the other man spotted him as he made his way back to where his equipment was set up.

Only when he was back where he had set his equipment up did he risk taking a glance towards the RV. There was no sign of Vincenzo or the other man. He let loose with a sigh of relief as he began to set to work.

His mind was on other things as he put the gold panned from the creek into a large crucible. He added the acid and watched the chemical reaction.

He had two things going for him—time. He had time. It would be at least a few days before the illegal mining operation was complete. And they didn't know he knew. He had the element of surprise on his side. There was time for him to formulate a plan for his escape.

He thought about Kenny and the woman with him. He didn't feel any allegiance towards Kenny, but he didn't want to see any harm come to him or the woman. He had liked her; she had been pleasant when they had met.

As the acid continued to work, Norm pulled his cell phone from his pocket and flipped it open. He was elated to see he had a signal. He paused for a moment, and then searched for Kenny's number and pressed send. It was the least he could do. He wouldn't be able to live with himself if he sat back and did nothing.

---

Kenny was growing increasingly frustrated. He couldn't understand why Hank wouldn't return his calls. He hadn't heard from him in three days now. There was a standing agreement Hank would at least check in once a day, and Hank hadn't missed a day until now.

Hank was always reliable and punctual. A seed of worry had begun to grow inside of Kenny. He had been expecting some contact from Norm Campbell, but so far, there hadn't been any word.

"Is there something wrong, Kenny?" Stella sat on the bed next to him.

"I don't know. I can't get a hold of Hank," Kenny replied.

"I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I've had a bad feeling about coming here," Stella replied quietly. Each day they had been here, she had noticed herself becoming more and more apprehensive.

Kenny managed a confident smile. "Don't you worry, everything will be okay. Hank is probably sleeping off a drunk somewhere."

The sound of his cell phone ringing brought a smile to his face. "That's probably him now."

He picked up the phone and answered the incoming call. "Kenny."

Norm spoke in a hushed tone. "It's me, Norm Campbell. You need to listen; I don't have a lot of time."

The color drained from Kenny's face as he listened to what Norm had to say. "That son of a bitch. I have half a mind to give him a call..."

"No! Don't do that!" Norm interrupted. "I was told not to contact you. If they find out I've called you, then..." Norm didn't finish.

"Okay," Kenny responded. "I understand. Is there anything I can do for you?"

Norm shook his head. "No, don't do anything. There's nothing you can do at this time to help me. I'll let you know when I'm out of here."

After disconnecting the call, Kenny looked at Stella. "Pack your things. We need to get out of here as soon as we can."

Stella looked scared. She had never seen Kenny look this worried before. "What's wrong?"

Kenny shook his head. "That fuckin' Tony is fixing to double cross us. We have to be out of here as soon as we can."

Norm felt better after he hung up with Kenny. He had done what he could do. Now he had to concentrate on getting himself out of this situation. Once they discovered Kenny gone, he knew he would be suspected immediately. He pulled his cell phone out again and deleted the record of the call he had just made and, to be on the safe side, he erased all of Kenny's contact information from his phone.

In ten minutes, Kenny and Stella had packed, checked out of the hotel, and were on the road. Instead of heading towards Missoula, where they had rented the car at the airport, they headed south. Kenny's plan was to drive to Idaho to catch a flight out of Idaho Falls, or Pocatello.

---

Milt Walker sat at his desk. His most pressing order of business at this point was trying to decide where to go for lunch. Not that there were a lot of choices in town. He knew he would end up at the café and get involved in whatever the hot topic of conversation was among the regulars.