My Perfect Family

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,602 Followers

I looked at her smile of satisfaction and waited for the next bit of news.

"Century Ford is owned by Terry Gilson's father, Knox Gilson, as you probably knew. I have it on good authority that there is a morals clause in each employee contract and that's going to make our supplemental lawsuit that much easier. In fact, it's going to be a 'piece of cake,'" she smiled wickedly.

"How much do you think we can take them for?" I asked, my mean streak now showing.

"Well, we might get between a half-million and a million, but of course we'll ask for a lot more. Goodness knows, Terry's father can afford it," she laughed.

"I like the sound of this a lot. I guess the only bad part is the kids. I can protect Angie, but I can't do anything for Ben," I said, suddenly realizing how rapidly events were proceeding.

"I know, and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. Unless we get a judge that thinks Sheila is the scum of the earth, we'll just have to live with it. I'm sorry, I wish it wasn't so," she said with genuine pity.

"OK, Lydia. Thanks for the spade work. I'll let you know when and where the convention is and which hotel she's staying at just in case your guy can't get anything between now and then. "

I was tired. This whole charade had taken a lot out of me. I wanted to go home and go to bed for a week or three, just hoping it would be all over by then. I knew it wouldn't be, of course. There was a long way to go yet.

I managed to get myself through the next three weeks without apparently arousing suspicion in Sheila. Maybe she wasn't paying attention or maybe she was just so confident that she didn't worry about it. On the eve of her departure, she had packed and moved her suitcase and travel tote to the front door in preparation for her morning departure. She had no idea what awaited her that weekend.

When I got up on Thursday morning at my usual time, Sheila was already up and having breakfast. She was definitely anxious to go and was flitting about the kitchen very nervously.

"You're up early," I remarked coolly.

"Yes ... I just wanted to make sure everything was looked after before I left."

"Don't worry about it. Angie will look after the housework and I'll help her on the weekend. I take it you'll be home Sunday morning?" I suggested.

"I'm not sure if it will be morning or afternoon. I'll have to wait and see. It's Terry's car, so ... I'll let you know," she said hesitantly. She was avoiding my eyes. She knew what she was going to be doing and she didn't want to face me and have to admit it to herself. She couldn't know there was to be no escape from this weekend.

"Well, have a good time and behave yourself," I said with no little amount of sarcasm.

She looked at me briefly and then continued her uncoordinated activities. I couldn't remember seeing her this jumpy. Perhaps she had sensed my change in attitude and was frightened that I might know or suspect something. I couldn't tell.

I downed my coffee, kissed her lightly on the cheek and left for the office. It would nag at me all day wondering if she thought I knew something. It might ruin my surprise and that would be very frustrating for me. I hadn't told Lydia or anyone what I planned for early Sunday morning.

When I got to the office, I called Lydia and she came on the line promptly.

"Lydia, can you confirm that we have photographs of Gilson and Sheila in the act?" I asked quickly.

"Yes ... we have them. I don't think you want to see them, though. Maybe after this is all over ... but right now ... just let us handle this, OK?" She was speaking in a subdued voice and there was no mistaking the unhappiness in her tone. I had to assume that the pictures would be very damning. The only good thing about that is it wouldn't matter if my little stunt on Sunday morning worked or not. The issue was now settled.

"Are the divorce papers all prepared?"

"Yes. We can have her served whenever you say."

"I've got a little surprise for her on Sunday morning, so my thinking is we can serve her at her parent's house on Monday morning. Can I confirm that to you on Sunday?" I asked.

"Yes ... but ... Mick ... you're not planning on doing anything silly, are you?" She sounded worried.

"No ... absolutely not. I won't do anything to mess this up. I promise." I hoped my declaration was reassuring to this dynamic lady. I didn't want anything to screw up my plans.

"Good, I'm glad to hear that. Take care, Mick. I know these are tough times for you, but they'll pass and you'll go on, I know," she said sincerely.

"Lydia, I couldn't do this without your help. The only tough part left is to tell the kids on Saturday what's happening. I'm not looking forward to that," I confessed.

"I'm sure you're not. Good luck. If you need anything, call me or David, OK?"

"Thanks," I signed off, quietly hanging up the receiver.

I debated telling the kids that night, but changed my mind. One of them might decide to call their mother and warn her. I wanted to minimize that risk.

Sheila called that evening about eight o'clock and she sounded very up. She was enjoying the convention and all the various booths. She had a nice room and the restaurant served very good food. She talked to me briefly, but spent more time on the phone with Angie and Ben. She gave us her room number, 1228.

When the kids had gone to bed at their usual hour, ten o'clock, I waited until I was sure they were asleep and then called the hotel and asked for room 1228. If Sheila answered, I'd just wish her goodnight and say something nice. The phone rang at least seven or eight times with no answer. I hung up.

Sheila called Friday night, again at about the same time. As before, we had a short conversation and then she talked to Angie and Ben. She sounded different. Perhaps the thrill of the convention was wearing off or perhaps ... something else?

Saturday, she phoned earlier ... just before six. Fortunately, we were all home. Again, our conversation was short and not very personal. She was going out to dinner with a large group and wouldn't be home until late, she said. I wasn't unhappy. It made it easier for me. When Angie, Ben and I sat down for dinner, it was a very quiet table. We all seemed to be absorbed in own thoughts. At last, I knew I couldn't put it off any longer. We cleared the table, put the dishes in the dishwasher and I turned to them both.

"Kids, I have some things I need to talk to you about," I began.

Ben and Angie looked at me and I sensed that they had an idea what this might be about.

"There's no easy way to say this, so ... I'm just going to tell you what's going to happen."

I reached in my pocket and pulled out two shiny new house keys.

"These are your new keys to this house. The only other person who has one is me. Your mother will not be returning to our home," I finally forced myself to say.

Angie gasped and Ben's eyes grew wide and his mouth opened.

"Over the past year, your mother has been carrying on an affair with her boss, Terry Gilson. She has betrayed me and you and her marriage vows. I can no longer live with her and I will not allow her in this house," I paused.

"Oh, Dad ... Oh no!" Angie cried. "Why did she do it?

"I don't know, but to be perfectly honest, it isn't the most important thing on my mind right now. I know this is going to hurt you. I can't help it. She has ... been with Mr. Gilson at least twice a week for the last year. That's over one hundred times!" My anger was beginning to show and I could see Ben cower slightly.

"This convention that's she's attending. It's nothing more than a smokescreen so that they can be together for the weekend. Well, they aren't fooling anyone," I spat.

"Dad, what's going to happen?" Ben asked, still shocked at my statements.

"I have filed for divorce and your mother will be served with the papers as soon as she's back in town. There are some other things that are going to happen to Mr. Gilson, but you don't need to worry about them right now. I'll let you know as they happen." I stopped again. I'm sure they must have been reeling from my comments in the last five minutes.

"Does this mean I'll never see Mom again?" Ben asked, on the verge of tears.

"No ... I wouldn't do that to you, Ben. I know how important she is to you and I wouldn't do that. You'll probably be living with her to start with. When you're eighteen, like Angie, you'll be able to see both of us any time you want. Angie, you can make your own decision on where you want to live. It will be your choice," I said, looking into the sad eyes of my daughter.

"That sucks, Dad. It splits the family up. That sucks!" she said in tears.

"Yeah ... I know. Unfortunately, the courts make these decisions, not me. I thought long and hard about this. I suppose I could have told your mother what I knew and then just carried on with our lives, but I couldn't handle that. I admit I'm very, very angry at your mother. She cheated us. She lied to us. I don't think I can just turn the other cheek," I admitted.

Ben turned and walked quietly up the steps to his room and closed the door behind him. He was in shock, I thought. I would go up and sit with him in a while after he'd had time to absorb what was going to happen. I turned to Angela and she looked at me sorrowfully before stepping to me and embracing me.

"I'm so sorry, Dad. I know how this must hurt. I can't believe she'd do this again," she cried.

I pulled my head back and stared at my daughter. "Again?"

Angie nodded, her eyes downcast.

"Tell me ... please," I said softly.

"It was four years ago. I was just getting my periods and I was having some trouble with them. I had a bad case of cramps one morning when I was in class. I went to the nurse's office and she sent me home with a note for mom, telling her what to get for me. When I walked in the front door ... she ... she and Mr. Morissette were on the couch. Mom ... mom had her blouse half off and her bra and panties were on the floor. Mr. Morissette had his ... thing ... out of his pants and mom was holding it.

"I guess I screamed and ran upstairs to my room. I could hear them talking and moving around and then the door slamming. A few minutes later, Mom came into my room." At that point, Angie broke down and the tears began to flow in earnest.

"What happened then?" I had to be patient. I had to let Angie tell me in her own fashion.

"Mom said that if I told you or anyone, you'd get a divorce and I'd never see you again. She said the courts always gave moms custody and she said you'd be so angry at her that you'd probably move away and I wouldn't see you at all." She looked up at me, shaking her head.

"I was scared Dad. I believed her. I couldn't lose you. Not then, not ever. I guess I must have promised Mom I'd never tell anyone. Except for Ben, I never did 'til now."

I put my arm around her again and pulled her to me. That devious bitch had used Angie's love for me against her and blackmailed her into silence. So Gilson wasn't the first and only. I began to wonder how many there might have been. How could I have been such a fool? How did she pull this off without my suspecting anything? Was I that stupid that I didn't notice what was going on? Or ... was she more clever than I gave her credit for?

"Angie, I don't know what to say to you other than I love you. I will do everything I can to be a good dad, no matter what happens in the future. You're old enough to make your own decisions now, and I want you to know that whatever decision you make I will support you, and it will not change my love for you." I didn't think there was anything else I could say.

"Thank you, Dad. I know that and I know I want to be here with you. You need someone, and I guess you're stuck with me," she smiled through her tears.

We hugged again.

"I guess I'd better go up and talk to Ben. I'm sure he's really going to have a tough time with this. You said you told him about Mr. Morissette?"

"Yes ... about a month after it happened. Ben said she was acting funny and he noticed Mom and I were kind of avoiding each other. I told him what I saw."

"How did he react?" I asked.

"Funny. Like, it wasn't a big surprise or maybe he suspected something," Angie replied thoughtfully. "I was sure he'd think I was lying, but he didn't say much at all. He just clammed-up and kept it to himself."

I nodded and rose, moving toward the stairs and Ben's room. I knocked softly before turning the knob and carefully pushing to door open. Ben was sitting on his bed, a vacant look in his eyes as he stared out the window. It took him a few seconds to acknowledge me, but still he said nothing.

"I'm sorry, Ben. You know I wouldn't hurt you if I could help it. I hope you understand, I couldn't let things go on the way they were," I said quietly.

He nodded and turned to me.

"I'm sorry too, Dad. Mom's really hurt a lot of people, hasn't she?" he said, barely above a whisper.

"Yes ... yes she has. I don't know what will come of all this, but I'm sure your grandparents will be pretty upset with her," I answered.

"Why, Dad? Why?"

"I have no idea, Ben. She never gave me a hint she was unhappy or unsatisfied with her life. Not one hint," I repeated.

"I hate her!" he suddenly blurted.

"No ... no ... don't do that, Ben. She loves you, you can be sure. It's something else, something I don't understand. Maybe she doesn't either. But don't let your anger consume you. I know you love her. Maybe, in time, you can forgive her. I know she would never want to hurt you or Angie. Not ever," I said in as positive a tone as I could.

He turned again to me with a crestfallen look. I put my hand on his shoulder in reassurance. After a few moments, I rose and left his room, closing the door behind me.

After my wake-up call on Sunday morning, all hell broke loose. Sheila was trying to phone the house, but I had taken Angie and Ben and we had gone out for breakfast. We might not have had much of an appetite, but we needed to get out of the house. I had also turned off my cell and I asked Angie to do the same with hers. I didn't want Sheila harassing her on top of everything.

I told the kids what I had done with the early morning phone call and Angie actually laughed. Ben smiled and I knew they approved. Why didn't I feel better then? After breakfast, we drove over to the park by the river and the three of us went for a walk. I think in some strange way, we were all feeling better. Perhaps because all the tension and anticipation of what was to come was released. Angie and Ben knew what was coming and they knew when it would be happening.

For myself, I had a knot in my stomach that just would not release. I had initiated a process that would end in the dissolution of my marriage and the break-up of my family. I had yet to talk to my parents, but that was one of two important things on my agenda today. I would also phone Lydia, of course, and tell her what I had done.

I dreaded talking to George and Amy Pratt, Sheila's parents. We were close and they adored their grandchildren. I wasn't sure how they would take the news and which side they would fall on. I chose to leave it until Sheila forced the issue. She had to have some place to live and I suspected she would run for home.

I called Lydia Pancratz first. I described my little stunt and she too laughed at my chutzpah.

"Now there's a wake-up call I'd never want to get," she chuckled. "I hope it felt good, Mick."

"Not really. Cheap revenge, I guess. But now she knows and she knows some of the consequences," I said, recognizing a touch of anger in my voice.

"How about the kids, Mick?"

"I talked to them last night and I think everything is stable. They aren't happy, as you can imagine, but they understand and I guess we'll have to wait and see what the long-term consequences for them are," I said. "But I got another surprise, too."

"What?" Lydia was taken aback for a moment.

"Angie told me that she had walked in on her mother and another man about four years ago. They were obviously in the middle of having sex. Sheila threatened Angie. She told her that I would divorce her and she would get custody of them and they would never see me again. She blackmailed her into silence," I concluded.

"My god ... she would do that?" Lydia asked in amazement.

"I thought I knew her. I was wrong. I don't know her at all. She is one nasty woman," I said with more regret than anger.

Lydia must have been wondering what next, I suppose. After a few moments silence, she spoke again.

"Stay close to Angie and Ben, Mick. They're going to need you to be there. It's going to be hell on them for a while. Stay close to them," she concluded.

"Thanks again for all your help, Lydia. As soon as I know where Sheila ends up, I'll let you know and you can have her served."

We signed off and I snapped my cell phone shut. Calling my parents was going to be a good deal more difficult.

The conversation with my parents was mercifully short. I described the situation and their first reaction was a concern for Angie and Ben. I described my conversations with them last night and the fact that they were seemingly OK today. That seemed to mollify my mother and both said they would talk to us later when "things settled down." I wondered myself when that would be.

I shut the cell phone off again. It was beeping to tell me that there was a call waiting and I was fairly sure it would be Sheila. She wasn't on my list for conversation today. Angie, Ben and I sat at a picnic bench in the park and I explained that I didn't want to be around our house for the next few hours. I expected their mother would come racing home to try and gain entry. Finding her key useless, she would probably cause a ruckus.

I suggested we go for a drive in the country and just stay away until well after the supper hour and then return. They agreed and we discussed where we might go. There was an open-air fair in a small town a few miles to the south and we decided to see what it was all about.

The fair was very interesting and fun. We had some hot dogs to keep us going until supper time and generally enjoyed ourselves at an old-fashioned country fair. It took our minds off our troubles and allowed us to think of something else. We didn't get back to town until almost seven and stopped at a nice restaurant for dinner. We knew that sooner or later we were going to have to face up to the changes in our lives, but for this last day, we could escape all that and find a bit of peace and quiet.

It was nearly nine when we arrived home. There was no sign of Sheila and the house was dark. I parked the car in the garage and we entered, switching on the lights as we went. There was no sign of any change since we had left for breakfast earlier that morning.

The kids went to their room and prepared themselves for bed. I flicked on the TV, but there was nothing to hold my interest and I too headed for bed. It was a restless night for me, uncertain of what tomorrow would bring. I knew there would be repercussions from my phone call and the serving of the divorce papers. It was just a matter of time.

I plugged the phones back in when I got up on Monday morning. I didn't expect to hear from Sheila quite this early. I was wrong. Almost immediately, the phone began to ring. We didn't have caller I.D., so I had no idea who would be calling this early. I decided to tempt fate.

"Hello?" It was a cautious greeting on my part.

"Mick? Mick ... please ... we have to talk." I was Sheila of course.

"What's there to talk about?" I asked in a low voice, trying not to disturb the kids.

"Oh God, Mick. You know what. I can explain. It isn't what you think," she moaned.

"That's the second time you've said that. What do you think I think?" I challenged.

coaster2
coaster2
2,602 Followers