My Soul to Take

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Closing her eyes, she attempted to calm the turmoil within her but it was futile. Retrospectively, she decided that no, she should not have mentioned it but hindsight did a hell of a lot of good for her now.

Taking a seat at the very back of the room, gazing around her as all the students filed in for the assembly, Layla took note of everyone wearing a murky gray shadow. In addition to the whole basketball team and cheerleading squad, Coach Daniels and Mrs. Fitzgerald, the junior year biology teacher who also moonlighted as the cheerleading coach, also had the hazy visage of death silhouetting them. Layla chewed meditatively on her lip, too distracted to notice she'd drawn blood until the coppery substance coated her tongue. She sucked her lip to stem the brief flow, staring around her trying to solve the mystery here.

This didn't make a bit of sense to her. Every time Layla had witnessed the shadows, that person's death occurred sometimes within minutes but usually the same day. The longest time span she was aware of was five days. At best, Shane and the rest of his friends had a few days to kill, no pun intended.

To the best of her knowledge, basketball season didn't start for a while. What kind of mass exodus could transpire so soon, some type of deranged rah-rah-rah pep rally gone awry? If they had an away game to attend, then she could finagle and make such a nuisance of herself that they'd at least have to postpone it, to prevent a car crash or something of the like. But the first game was weeks away so that option didn't count as viable. What could possibly happen here that would only affect the popular crowd?

She briefly entertained the thought of an avalanche but why would that only get them? An outcast turned murderer who'd been bullied by them and was now out to exact his revenge? Nah, that didn't ring true either.

This was by far the most difficult part of dealing with her curse. She could maybe accept the shadows if there was a way she could somehow deduce the causes of their deaths and prevent these travesties. As it was, however, all she felt was helplessness and depression.

What was the point in her dubious ability? If she couldn't prevent the deaths then was it to make her suffer? What could she have possibly done to deserve a punishment of this severity? Did she make some cosmically bad decision before the age of five? Did her mom cut off some voodoo priestess in traffic while she was pregnant with her and Luke?

Sighing, Layla was so lost in her musings she didn't notice the two boys walk up to her until Shane Chambers suddenly sat beside her, startling the hell out of her. As her heart palpitated anxiously, she ignored Shane to the best of her ability so she wouldn't be accosted by the sad reality of his upcoming death, and focused on the small guy who had accompanied him. Evan, she thought his name was. Shane's brother. There was something strange about him but she didn't know what it was until she turned her head away. There, in her peripheral vision, was a hazy, almost nonexistent shadow fluttering around his lean frame.

She gasped. "You have a shadow, too," she blurted unthinkingly.

Evan's eyebrows rose. "Beg pardon?"

Her own brows furrowed and for a moment she forgot that he probably had no clue what she was rambling on about. "It seems to me like it's been there for a while but I don't see it when looking directly at you, probably why I haven't noticed before. It's like.... Well, like death is sort of lying in wait inside you." She commenced chewing on her lip, wondering about this new development.

Shane and Evan shared one of those significant glances, some type of silent communication passing between them. Finally, Evan said slowly, "A few years ago we found out I had leukemia. After the treatments it went into remission so I guess you could say it's just lying in wait somewhere in here." He tapped his chest, shrugging slightly, then smiled. "That's why I'm still in high school when, by rights, I should be starting my first year of college right now."

Layla felt herself relax infinitesimally into her seat. That pretty calm acceptance Shane and Evan showed towards her curse had her falling a little bit more in love with Shane and had her developing a healthy dose of admiration for Evan. The handful of people who'd known before, including her psychiatrists, had all treated her like a nutcase, but even when she told Shane he was going to die he hadn't wigged out on her.

Although she figured that should actually disturb her, his insouciance concerning his own death. Looking into his eyes, able to read him a little better just after their brief interactions, she could read the emotions there to some extent. He really did believe her but he treated his death with an indifference that she didn't understand. Maybe watching his brother going through such an intense sickness had cured him of any fear of death. Evan sure seemed to hold to that same philosophy, at least about himself.

Layla, on the other hand, had a debilitating fear of death. It would seem after seeing it for all these years on other people she would at least be uncommitted on the subject, if not completely unfazed, but the truth was the thought of her own or anyone else's death left her with a fear so potent it made her heart seize in her chest.

Headmaster Philips appeared up on stage at that moment, basically giving the same speech he recited at the beginning of every school year. Droning on about rules and regulations, giving reminders for clubs and sports teams tryouts, informing them that if they did not receive their new class schedules via email already then to head to the main office where a copy would be provided for them. Mostly the students ignored him, talking quietly amongst themselves.

Evan quickly took a seat on the other side of Layla as Headmaster Philips began and all through the assembly he kept up a quiet, steady monologue about their home and life back in California. They lived in Los Angeles but they also had what they called a "get away" house directly on the beach. Their father was a divorce attorney who mostly dealt in celebrity divorce cases but he didn't mention much about their mother beyond saying she was a housewife. Layla felt she should reciprocate in some way, a kind of tit for tat, but what could she say? That she missed Tampa like crazy but that her mother didn't want her insane daughter and maniac son jeopardizing her new marriage with the aging software billionaire?

She decided it was probably best to stay mum about that, giving monosyllabic answers anytime Evan asked a question about Florida. She was more comfortable with him than she'd been with anyone since Ryan but she couldn't force herself to open up much and was aware of a prickly sensation on the nape of her neck signaling Shane was staring at her. He'd been staring at her since he sat down and it was making her a little self-conscious.

When that prickling on her neck intensified, Layla turned her head to look at Shane and was momentarily mesmerized. Or perhaps stupefied was a better word for it, because if she wasn't mistaken, the sparks of attraction were blazing in his deep chocolate eyes. Her breath caught in her throat, actually titillated by this bizarre turn of events. Shane Chambers attracted to her? Pfft, impossible. But she couldn't deny those fiery embers of passion in his eyes.

Everything and everyone else receded, leaving only Shane. Even the shadowed murkiness around him thinned until it almost seemed nonexistent. Her thoughts, which were trying to remind her they were opposites in every way and thereby incompatible and shouldn't mesh, muted until all she was experiencing was unadulterated feeling. It seemed almost natural when Shane's head lowered towards hers like before, but this time it went uninterrupted. Her eyes fluttered closed as his lips descended on hers, and it was like a shockwave went through her. She was alive with unfamiliar sensations, loving the silky smoothness of his lips on hers.

It was a chaste kiss, no tongue, but the absolute rightness of it made her heart soar.

A throat clearing behind her signaled Evan's embarrassment and discomfort over witnessing the intimate stolen moment. It brought them apart but didn't entirely make the surreal moment dissipate. Layla's cheeks heated, tinged pink, and for several seconds she lost herself in Shane's eyes again.

Something momentous had just occurred, like Layla's soul had found the missing piece that would complete it. But then the shadows made a reappearance and her heart did a painful wrench in her chest.

No matter what she had to do, she was determined to save him. If she had to glue herself to his side and become a permanent attachment to his body, then she'd definitely do it to guarantee no harm would be done to him.

For a second, she was briefly amused. It was like that TV show 'Heroes', except instead of, "save the cheerleader, save the world," her situation was more, "save the basketball god, save the popular crowd."

She just prayed she wouldn't fail.

~*~*~

Holy shit on a pogo stick.

That innocent little kiss in the auditorium had been the most explosive and earth shattering of Shane's life. Minor pyrotechnics had erupted in his mind, causing his brain to short circuit. If a simple kiss could affect him so intensely, he wondered what sex would be like with her. Probably cause his heart and brain to explode simultaneously. Or fucking make him spontaneously combust. He'd die with a fucking smile on his face, that was for damn sure.

Something had clicked in his mind after that kiss and he went through the rest of the school day with a smile on his face. It didn't hurt that by some miracle he and Layla had received the same class schedule so he was able to feast his hungry gaze on her for the rest of the day. They garnered a few curious glances from his friends because of their close proximity but Shane refused to acknowledge them. Layla, too, seemed content to let this fledgling thing between them remain a mystery.

Shane knew it didn't make sense. Upon hitting puberty, he'd been a lady killer, going through girls like they were going out of style. Now, in his mind at least, he had already committed himself to Layla. It was crazy, spontaneous and completely incomprehensible but, hell, that was love for you.

Whoa. Back the think train up. Love? Maybe he was getting a little ahead of himself.

Sure, he had strong feelings for Layla, feelings that needed to be examined and explored later, but he wasn't comfortable calling it love quite yet. He'd spent his time at the Cornick Academy being secretly attracted to her, and now that she was his for all intents and purposes, he just wanted to glory in the newness of it.

Funny how one tiny kiss could thrust you into a relationship you didn't know you wanted - no, needed - without words having to be spoken.

The only glitch in Shane's day was when he saw Damon and Christian again in fourth period. The two seemed to be joined at the hip and their animosity towards each other was palpable. Whoever mistook them for friends had to either be blind or stupid, although that probably wasn't accurate because a blind person would be able to perceive the vibes of antipathy emanating from them.

Nothing out of the norm happened this time, but the sight of the two boys just brought back the unreal situation in homeroom. After some time of contemplation, Shane wondered if what he'd seen had actually happened, but he couldn't deny that burn he'd seen on Christian's arm. And that smirk of Damon's, the one that seemed permanently affixed to his face, sent disquieting shivers down his spine. That smirk didn't portend anything good, he was certain of that.

Seeing that smirk again, Shane knew he didn't want to be anywhere near the boys' senior dormitory if Damon was going to be there. It was an irrational fear - he had a few inches and pounds of muscle on him - but it was there nevertheless. So, under the guise of getting to know her better, though he wanted to do that too, he asked Layla if he could come over to her dorm later. She looked incredulous for a moment but then smiled and nodded hesitantly. The relief he felt was downright euphoric.

He was just leaving his dorm after a conference call with his dad and Evan when Luke cornered him in the common room.

Without preamble - that seemed to be his style - Luke demanded, "What the fuck are you doing with my sister?"

"What do you mean?"

Luke glared at him. "Don't play fucking dumb with me, Chambers. Layla's had a thing for you for a while and if you're just toying with her, back off now."

Raising his hands in a conciliatory gesture, Shane said, "Luke, I'm being honest here. No lie, I'm not toying with her, you can trust me on that. I like her."

As Luke stared at him, trying to discern the truth of his words, Shane became aware of the fact that they'd drawn a crowd. Okay, so it was only three people, but having Evan, Damon and Christian being partial to this discussion was not what he'd call a party.

All of a sudden, he had a clenched fist busting against his mouth with so much force, he was surprised his head didn't spin and do an Exorcist. Luke shoved him against the wall before he could react, his teeth gritted and eyes narrowed. "That was just insurance," he whispered harshly. "If you hurt her, if you cause one single tear to fall, they'll need a fucking backhoe to find your body."

Evan squeezed himself between them, extricating the feral grip Luke had on Shane. "Whoa, back off. Unstable much?"

Stepping calmly away, Luke sneered at Evan. "Go to hell, you fucking twink."

Seeing Evan's face blanch, the hurt in his eyes, Shane had to physically restrain himself from tackling Luke. He knew the guy had started this intending to make certain Layla's emotional status remained secure in a fit of deranged brotherly love, but being a dick to his brother was taking it too far. Luke was built similarly to him, tall and leanly muscled like a long distance runner, and Shane started searching for any weak spots, but knew they wouldn't come to blows this time. Evan had ordered him long ago not to fight his battles so he had to console himself with the thought that karma was a bitch and Luke would get his comeuppance soon.

With one last parting glare, Luke stormed off.

As he left, Shane's attention wasn't on Luke, but had shifted to Damon and Christian across the room. Damon's usual smirk was eclipsed by a savage, victorious grin as he watched Luke, in direct contrast with the concerned frown Christian was sporting. As one, they turned and exited the room, unaware that they were operating in perfect synchronization. Shane watched them go, wondering yet again what the hell was up with those two.

"Do you think he'll out me?" Evan asked.

"Huh? Who?"

Evan rolled his eyes. "Luke," he elucidated. "Do you think he'll tell people I'm gay?"

"Nah, I think you're still safely in the closet. His vindictive side seems to only make an appearance when someone fucks with Layla." Which was strange, because the Chadwick twins really didn't appear to have a close relationship.

"Speaking of Layla.... Bro, treat that girl right. I really don't want to have to rent a backhoe to find your ass."

"I have every intention of doing just that." He grimaced and wiped the blood from his split lip. "And not just because Luke will attempt to dismember me if I don't."

Grinning, Evan made a tissue materialize from his pocket and handed it over. "Is it wrong that I found that whole exchange infernally hot? Not you getting hurt and threatened, but Luke's complete disregard for human emotion?"

Shane gave him an arch look. "Bub, I think you're the unstable one."

"That's a distinct possibility," Evan said with a short laugh. "Maybe I'm a masochist."

"I think you can take out the maybe and say that's a guaranteed fact." Shane grinned and hugged Evan briefly to his side. "I'm gonna head over to Layla's dorm now."

Evan's smiling face shifted to crestfallen almost immediately. "But what about what Layla saw?"

"What are you talking about?"

The look Evan shot him questioned his intelligence. It was really rather insulting. "Hello, is anyone in there?" he asked, reaching up and tapping his head. "Layla saw death on you."

His nearly jubilant mood plummeted. "Thanks for reminding me," Shane muttered.

He'd been doing an exceptional job not thinking about it thus far. Denial was a wonderful thing. As long as he wasn't thinking about it, he could pretend everything remained hunky dory. But now, thanks to Evan, it was impossible to continue with his obliviousness. His mortality was staring him right in the face and he couldn't ignore it, couldn't turn away from this reflection of himself.

Giving Evan a smile, albeit a melancholy one, he left him behind in the common room and stepped out into the cold, blustery afternoon sun. He paused for a moment outside his dorm, squinting his eyes against the glaringly reflective snow. He stared at the phosphorescent blanket, noticing it was a facsimile of how Christian had appeared in homeroom. He really hated being reminded of that.

Sighing, he shifted his gaze around the expanse of snow covered ground. The Cornick Academy was where rich businessmen and socialites sent their kids when they couldn't be bothered to raise them. It was an expensive, ostentatious boarding school, at a high enough altitude that snow was guaranteed year round. The heated walkways that prevented snow and ice from hindering their path and the gourmet meals showed the school spared no expense to keep its students safe and coddled, and the parents that paid an outrageous amount in tuition placated.

The dorms surrounded the school itself, eight buildings that housed thirty students each. At any given time, there were usually only two hundred twenty to two hundred thirty kids attending the school. Though a small school populated mostly by debutantes and wanna be wall street players, they still had a kick-ass basketball team and Shane was proud of their stellar undefeated record.

Shaking himself out of his momentary paralysis, he walked the short distance to the girls' senior dorm and entered the warm, toasty haven. Boys were prohibited from the girls' dorms after nine, but seeing as it was still early in the afternoon, Shane didn't need to worry about some authority figure busting his balls for being there.

He could hear some girls talking and laughing in the common room, but Shane paid them no mind and gazed down the hall where all the downstairs bedrooms were located. Each door was decorated gaudily by its inhabitants in a proprietary show of ownership. And they said only guys marked their territory. Not seeing Layla's name emblazoned on any of the doors, he meandered his way upstairs where he was accosted with more of the same. Only one door remained bare, the wood grain smooth and unblemished.

Shane stared at that door for a moment, his heart doing peculiar acrobatics in his chest. It was sad and.... desolate, somehow. Every other door showed signs of the personalities living within, but this one was hopeless in its bareness. Bleak.

Unerringly, he strode forward and tapped his knuckles against the door, knowing Layla was beyond it. Not even two seconds later, it swung inward to reveal Layla. She had ditched her hoodie and the black stretchy tee she was wearing combined with the dark skinny jeans delineated how tiny she was. He could clearly see the ridges of her ribs and her hip bones jutted out anorexically. Either she didn't eat enough to sustain a kitten or she had the fastest working metabolism ever.

He made a mental note to get some carbs into her ASAP.

Grinning at her, he cocked his head to the side. "Hey, can I come in?"