New Kingdom: Australian Court Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MicKay
MicKay
639 Followers

"No my lord. Your fathers were always gracious to me as you have been since their deaths."

The young started chuckling as he turned to face the servant. His laughter was accompanied with a vicious sneer that only partially revealed the evil of his heart. Falling into the nearest chair he motioned for the man to take a seat.

"Cut!" the young man announced. "Isn't that the theatrical term used to announce the end of a scene? The point when the actors quit acting? Or have you been a liar for so long that you can't stop?"

"My lord?"

"As I was saying, we change our strategy. Do you think I sound like the great general? Ironic that I would resemble the one with whom I have no genetic bond." The young man fell into quiet contemplation staring at the wall but seeing something else.

"My lord?"

"Impatient are we?"

"Excited, sir. I am very excited to hear your plans."

"Are you? Or are you just curious to know how much I understand about you? Don't answer. The truth is that I see you now and I see how you've manipulated the situation and my fathers."

"My lord, no, I have been faithful to you and your fathers but if I have failed you in my weakness...."

"Is that how you controlled Heron? Edward? Gabriel? God, I can't wait for the moment he discovers your deception."

Matthias corrected his posture and watched the young man. The guise of the humble servant was no longer needed. The shrewd advisor now picked at invisible lint on his slacks. "Tell me Gregorii. Why would he ever need to know?"

"Because your treason knows no loyalty. How many centuries have you plotted against the New Kingdom? Tell me how you managed to control the Panthralges?"

"Control?" Mathias asked with a laugh. "My dear boy, I created them! Just as I created you along with the little bitch and her brother that you seem impotent against."

"I will prove you wrong on that last item," the young man countered. "You can only see how I've changed physically."

"You have developed just as the other male offspring. I was glad to see that the problems during gestation did not hamper your development."

"Male offspring. Gestation. Development. Impersonal words to describe your king."

"My king?" Matthias asked with a laugh. "Gregorii, you are a means to an end." He moved across the room so fast that the young man was surprised to find the man in his face. "Now, let's start from the beginning. Answer my questions," he emphasized with a slap to the young man's face, "and I may just let you live."

"You need me."

"No, I need a male offspring. I have created two and I can create another."

"It would take time."

"It would take less than three years. And when you are my age, three years are barely a few grains of sand in the hour glass of time." Matthias wrapped his hand around the boy's neck. "Now with the questions. How did you know?"

"I have the blood of the Third Creation," the young man answered looking away. "I know they have yet to find the source of their opposition."

Matthias watched the young man's face searching for signs of deception. He squeezed his hold and said, "If I find that you are lying, then I will not hesitate to destroy you. Now tell me your new strategy."

"Weaknesses," the man gasped. "We find their weaknesses."

Tossing Gregorii to the floor, Matthias shook his head in disgust and walked to the bar. "That's not a new plan. Your fathers tried. And they failed, I should add."

The young man watched as Mathias lifted each bottle checking the labels carefully. He cringed when his former servant reached for a black bottle with no label. "But they failed because they focused on one," he said quickly. "Listen to me!"

Setting the bottle down, Matthias turned and raised his brow, "Watch your tone."

"They had found Gabriel Philandros' weakness. I have found every man's weakness. We attack every one of them at the same time and their defense is destroyed."

"Interesting. Maybe you truly are the product of the Third Creation and not just the Panthralges' foster child. By the way, your meal is waiting in the dining room. Naked and unbound. Just as you prefer."

The young man watched his mentor and nemesis leave the room. Walking to the bar, he quickly poured a glass of amber liquid from the black bottle. He silently cursed himself for forgetting to hide his prize possession. Yes, his minions had failed to bring his sister to him. But they had redeemed themselves with this drink they had witnessed the Australian king enjoy so much.

A woman's tearful sobs interrupted his reverie. Taking a deep breath, he reminded himself that he would face opposition throughout his life. But he would always overcome. Prophecy dictated it.

He smiled to himself and he walked to the dining room. The young woman was hardly a beauty but her fear aroused him beyond measure.

***

Gabriel had walked for hours. Detouring several times, he had easily located his daughter and had circled her several times. He called himself a coward again but could not brace himself to face her and her companion.

Knowing that every father had to deal with this did not help. He could feel her emotions and sense her confusion. The scent of their mating was barely deterred by their soap. Gabriel moved in front of their location telling himself that he should end the delay now. With a grin, he wondered how he had led armies for centuries but was afraid of meeting his daughter.

"Be gentle," Alena's voice said to him alone.

"I'm not going to do anything," he responded to her. "Hell, I have no idea if I can say anything."

"A father has a look. Everything you feel will be in your eyes and that's what she will see. Your disappointment will speak louder than words."

"I'm disappointed with myself."

"She won't know that. Please be careful, Gabriel. They are so young to have so much responsibility. Maybe they are meant to be together."

"They? Baby, the love I have for her is the exact opposite of what I feel for that little...."

"Gabe, maybe you should circle them again. You need to find some control."

***

Abigail looked over her shoulder and smiled at Alex. Under the blazing sun, they were safe from their attackers but not entirely safe. She wondered if Alex understood the danger that had been circling them for the last hour.

Trying to assess her emotions, she decided that there were too many to identify but two fought for first place: embarrassment and uncertainty. The moment she laid eyes on her father, he would know. Who was she kidding? He already knew or he would have greeted them by now.

According to the television shows, she should be proud of her sexuality. Modern women would commend her for choosing such a desirable partner in last night's rite of passage. Of course, no other modern woman had General Gabriel Philandros for a father.

Resisting the urge to look at him again, Abigail moved ahead attempting to compartmentalize her feelings. Alex had never deceived her about his feelings for her people. And while she may not be like her mother, and certainly not like her captors, she was still counted as his enemy.

Remembering the words he had spoken to her, she tried to find comfort in the fact that he had vowed to never hate her. Little comfort there. Could she hope that he now considered her one of the few he liked? Like his mother? That comparison provided little comfort.

If she could only have him as a friend, then she would take that much. What had she seen that relationship called? Oh yeah, friends with benefits. She would take whatever he would give no matter how pathetic that may be. And then, the future possibilities loomed before her.

What happened when he met the woman whom he would share his life? Once again, she rapidly blinked her eyes willing the tears to wait until she was alone. She vowed to wish Alex and his woman well in their future. A future that would consists of love, laughter, children and growing old. She pictured this happy family in the yard of the house left behind them. Her house. Again, she blinked her eyes before her tears threatened to fall.

***

Still snuggled in the warm bed, Nola slowly stretched her muscles. Her former life had required her to be up, dressed and performing her duties. Now, she followed Joshua's orders and stayed in bed while he prepared for Phillip and others to arrive.

Trying to remember the last several days, she smiled when she could only think about him. Her parents had died leaving her homeless and broke. Lord Melchiorre had been a generous employer but had never noticed her as a person. When Joshua had arrived with his parents, he had immediately stared at her.

Even now, she laughed at the thought of that little boy growing so quickly into the man he was now. But what a man. With very few words in a simple promise, he had vowed everything to her. Forever. That was all he had said. She never considered how or where but only that it would be with him. And he was all she would ever need or want.

Deciding to take a quick shower, she threw her legs over the side of the bed and started to rise. Before she could get her balance, the room started spinning. She reached behind her for the bed but the floor lurched up and slammed into her body. What was happening? Maybe she had been a little too generous in sharing her blood with Joshua.

"I'm sure that's all it is," she thought before surrendering to the darkness.

***

Alex proceeded behind Abigail contemplating the next series of events. If he survived the day, he needed to tell her ...something. When he considered the previous night they had spent together, he wanted to promise her the world. Then he would remember who she was and what she was. He considered the possibility that her nature had made the experience more than what it should have been.

He had heard that the bite of a vampire could be as erotic as it was deadly. Providing blood to her yesterday had proven that claim was no exaggeration but she had refrained from biting him last night. Was she sharing that intimate act only when she needed to feed? As soon as he sighed out loud, he instantly regretted it.

Smiling like a fool, he winked at Abigail when she turned to look at him. He shrugged his shoulders in an attempt to appear weary when he actually felt like a new man. The few hours of sleep in a stranger's bed had provided more rest than he had had in weeks. When Abigail turned away, Alex stared at the womanly curves nearly bursting the seams of her tight clothes. The large shirt was bulky around Abigail's upper torso but was not long enough to cover the curves beneath the black leggings.

Alex grinned as he watched her hips sway with each step. The black knit fabric appeared to be painted on her skin. Just when he declared black as his favorite color, he caught a movement behind the beautiful girl. Staring into the black twin orbs, he rescinded his decision.

Gabriel suddenly appeared as though magically materializing before them. Although his expression was unreadable, Alex and Abigail stopped dead in their tracks. The seconds were few but tormenting in the uncomfortable silence. Momentarily, Alex wondered if dying at this man's hands would be excruciatingly painful or torturously slow as these moments were.

The fierceness evaporated when the ancient warrior's gaze moved from Alex to Abigail. The murderous glare was suddenly replaced by tenderness that made Alex repent his actions to this man's daughter. Admitting to his failure in treating her with respect would not save him now.

"When I realized Alex was searching for you, I knew you would be safe," Gabriel finally said. "But there are no words to express the relief I feel seeing you alive and unharmed." As he finished his last word, he opened his arms and welcomed her small frame into his fatherly embrace.

Sighing with relief, Abigail made no hesitation in accepting her father's welcome. She wrapped her arms around his waist and cherished the familiar scent and feel of his big body. Alex may have found her first but her father always made sure was safe.

Thinking of Alex brought a flash of guilt through her mind. Hesitantly, she pulled away and looked at the man who silently waited for his punishment. Taking a deep breath, she prepared herself to take her share of the blame and disappoint her father.

"Dad, I have, uh ...." She stammered looking from her father, to Alex and back to her father. "I have..."

A tender touch to her lips silenced her next words. Watching her father's jaw clinched and relax, she knew that no explanation was needed. He knew. He may not agree with her choices but he still loved her. Somehow, she knew that his love for her would keep Alex alive. For now.

"Your mother has been remarkably calm. Let's not push her limits any longer," Gabriel said turning to lead their group toward the others.

Looking at Alex, Abigail shrugged her shoulders and smiled. She was happy for any reprieve but her joy faltered when she realized that Alex remained motionless. The reality of the situation slammed into her: he was still a vampire hunter. And she was a vampire.

Taking a deep breath, she followed her father's lead increasing her pace to match his. As she neared him, she tried to think of any conversation that would break the silence but her mind returned to the forbidden hours she had shared with Alex. Hearing her father mumbling, she changed the course of her thought and decided to share her other experiences.

"Dad, you wouldn't believe the vampires that took me. They can fly."

"I noticed."

"And they were, well, ugly and smelled bad."

"Dead flesh."

"They wouldn't come into the sun. I know changelings are affected by the time zones of their sires but they acted as though they would...."

"Die," her father interrupted. "I'm trying to find out why. It's like our people have contracted a virus or maybe the sire was ill. I'm not sure yet."

"Maybe they're mutants," Alex offered. "No offense but there's been so much genetic altering with your species lately that, I don't know, maybe these are exactly what they were designed to be.

As soon as his two companions turned to him, Alex instantly regretted speaking. Her eyes opened wide just before a frown furrowed between her brows. Of course she would think he had included her in the evaluation. Before he could speak, she abruptly turned and continued her journey at an increased pace. Alex started to follow until he caught the smirk on Gabriel's face.

"You will find," her father whispered to the younger man, "that she can be quite emotional."

***

Alena started pacing in anticipation. Gabriel had promised to refrain from killing Alex and then he let her know that he was now with Abigail. So she waited.

When search parties had returned with information on the enemy lairs, she had moved away from the briefing and allowed the brothers and their mates to ask questions. She looked into the grove of trees waiting for her mate and daughter to appear. Telling herself to remain calm had become a constant mantra.

Standing alone, she allowed herself a moment to worry. She worried about Gabriel, Abigail, Joshua, Nola, Alex, Iona....the list was growing longer every day. Her children's maturity was inevitable but their expedited growth had left her emotionally drained. Anticipating a day when she could exist like her mate and sister, Alena wondered again why she held onto the emotions of her human self.

She sneaked a glance at the others and admired how they listened to the evidence of the threat and started making plans. They just rationally dealt with issues while she worried, cried, and stressed over anything that seemed abnormal to her. Deep inside, she feared that Gabriel would grow tired of her obsessing.

Gabriel's silence confirmed her fears about Abigail's time alone with Alex. Her daughter had once again advanced to a new level in her life. And like the other vampires of their acquaintance, Abigail would rationally deal with the effects of her actions while Alena felt compelled to do ...something.

A movement caught her attention. Running to the tree line, she first fell into Gabriel's arms because he would always be the first. A few hours separation may be healthy for a relationship but it was hazardous to her health. Sharing a quick kiss, they turned to face the two young people.

Alena froze.

Alex appeared thoroughly remorseful while Abigail began chattering about her terrifying abduction and equally frightening escape. The young woman continued rambling oblivious to her parents' concern.

"You hear it too," Gabriel said to Alena alone. "Her heartbeat has been erratic since I found her but it seems to get louder. Stronger. Do you think she's ill?

Shaking her head, Alena's gaze moved from her daughter's animated expressions to Alex's questioning look.

***

A servant had discovered an unconscious Nola and had immediately found Joshua. He had spent the past several hours pacing the floor pleading with her to see a doctor. Standing her ground while ironically confined to a bed, Nola tried to blame the fainting on her frail human system.

"So you see why I need to be changed," she argued playfully. "I can't manage a simple change of scenery."

"You are trying to spare my feelings," he stated simply. "Yes, you were uprooted from your home but only because the Panthralges had destroyed everything. You conveniently avoided the fact that I have neglected to feed you although I have been fed well. Thanks to you."

"I'm fine."

"I know something is wrong. I can hear it."

"Hear what, Joshua?" she asked but looked to the ceiling when an airplane moved overhead. "Your friends must be here. Since everyone else is gone, we should go meet them."

"Since everyone on that plane is a vampire, and all but one is a very young changeling, you should stay here. They can find their way around."

"So you will stay with me?"

"Someone has to protect you from the monsters," he answered moving into the bed with her.

"My hero."

***

As the last rays of the day's sunlight glimmered over the trees, Abigail's search party approached the Australian king's mansion. Lights flickered in every window creating an inviting beacon to the vampires. While each man would have chosen to spend the next few hours alone or alone with his mate, each understood that there was much work to be done.

The night was approaching quickly and with it would be the possibility of attacks. Conlaoch had shared safeguards for his home that would be put into effect as soon as everyone had entered. Not knowing how many of their enemies slept in the earth, they all agreed to strengthen their line of defense for the night.

Alex moved with the group appreciating the collective concern for their kingdom. The fewer questions he had to answer gave him more time to think. His mother had shared her relief over his safety and gave a wink when Abigail passed by them. He had taken a young woman's innocence and his mother was ready to give him a high five.

He could sense that everyone knew about his time alone with Abigail and he seriously doubted that Gabriel was sharing that information. Understanding their preternatural abilities only elevated Alex's current level of frustration. Still, he had noticed a difference.

Everyone had focused on the issue of their enemy discussing a possible retaliation this very night. Almost everyone. Alena had watched her daughter closely telling the girl several times to watch her step or stay close to her. He supposed that, as the girl's mother, she was curious as to his character. He had witnessed her love for her daughter the first moment he had met them.

And yet, he remained unsure. He had caught her watching him several times and thought her expression had alternated from assessing to accepting. Just now, she had finally shared a small smile. If he had to explain it, he knew he would sound foolish but with her smile he felt her mother's love stretch out to include him. Once again, he was struck with the irony of his life with vampires.

MicKay
MicKay
639 Followers